Waiting in Vancouver

NVC messed up and sent us to Montreal

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well I called the NVC today and the automatic system still said we didn't exist so I stayed on and waited for an agent ... I was told are petition was shipped to Montreal on April 5, 2006 ....

I said "WHAT ?? Why did you send it to Montreal when I live 30 minutes from Vancouver Consulate ??"

The agent told me I can request that they transfer me from Montreal to Vancouver ... After a brief conversation (explaining that Langley is in BC and only a short drive to Vancouver) the agent finally relised what I was saying and put me on hold ... When he returned he started appologizing over and over that they apparently messed up and sent our petition to Montreal and that they are fixing their mess up ...

Our petition will be shipped from Montreal to Vancouver once it arrives in Montreal ....

The agent was very appologetic ... I told him I wasn't upset ... I'd be more upset if I had to fly to Montreal instead of driving 30 minutes to the Consulate in Vancouver ...

Our file number that they gave us starts with MTL and I understand that Vancouver file numbers start with VAC.

I was wondering if anyone has had their petition transfered from Montreal to Vancouver and if so, if my number will be the same in Vancouver just that the 3 starting letters with change from MTL to VAC ??

-M-

Edited by Waiting in Vancouver

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I hope they mess up again and send me to vancouver instead of Montreal.

It's a cheaper flight from my part of Ontario. Not to mention faster.

I-130

sent to NSC Jan 6 2006

NOA1 rec Jan 28

NOA2 rec Apr 27

NVC rec May 18 and case # assigned

NVC generates DS 3032 & I-864 bill May 29

DS-3032 rec and sent snail mail June 7

I-864 bill rec. by petitioner June 12

NVC rec. DS-3032 June 13

I-864 pmt sent by petitioner June 15

IV fee bill generated June 19

IV bill rec. June 26

IV bill pmt sent June 28

NVC rec. IV bill pmt July 10

Got I-864 July 18

I-864 returned to NVC July 24

DS-230 rec. and returned to NVC July 28

NVCrec I-864 ??

NVC rec DS-230 Aug 1

RFE on I-864 Aug 4

Rec. RFE snail mail Aug 11

Returned RFE over night Aug 12

NVC rec RFE Aug 15

CASE COMPLETE!!! Aug 21

INTERVIEW DATE OCTOBER 20TH -as of Sept 13.!!!!!

Crossed border at Intl. Falls,MN. Nov. 14

App. for SSN Nov. 17 - rec. SSN Nov. 25

DEC 7 - RECEIVED GREEN CARD

10 year green card ordered Jan. 21, 2009 DONE

Timeline

Come on guys and gals :)

I know I have read people that were transfered from Montreal to Vancouver ...

K-1 VISA

AOS / EAD

I-751

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

if you have read them, then best bet is to do a search, then PM those people. Cheers

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
if you have read them, then best bet is to do a search, then PM those people. Cheers

I'll remember that for future questions as well ... Thank you

K-1 VISA

AOS / EAD

I-751

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes.. but those people had a reason.. such as they were going to school in Alberta but used their parent's address on the I-129F. Asking "just because" it's your preference or because it could give you a cheaper flight doesn't work...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It will be a different number. But you're right it will start with VAC. My husband called NVC to ask if we can be processed in Vancouver though I lived in Toronto and they sent our I-129 application to Vancouver.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
It will be a different number. But you're right it will start with VAC. My husband called NVC to ask if we can be processed in Vancouver though I lived in Toronto and they sent our I-129 application to Vancouver.

But did you have a reason?...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

I think Lily (raphael) had hers sent to Montreal by mistake as well ?????

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Both Lily and myself had this happen. It's very simple to fix. Email the Vancouver consulate and let them know that your case was forwarded to Montreal in error and ask them the best way to facilitate getting it transferred. They'll tell you exactly what to do to fix it.

Your case # will still start MTL but they'll process you in Vancouver no problem. I think this added maybe 10 days to our total NVC to Consulate processing time. No biggie, really. :)

edit: Oh, in our case, we made sure the USC did the emailing, as it's his petition. :) We found when dealing with the embassy they were more apt and ready to deal with the USC before the foreigner. Just a tip.

Edited by ceriserose

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Timeline

Yes.. but those people had a reason.. such as they were going to school in Alberta but used their parent's address on the I-129F. Asking "just because" it's your preference or because it could give you a cheaper flight doesn't work...

Ummm wouldn't living in the Langley which is a suburb of Vancouver be reason enough for them to send it to Vancouver rather than Montreal ?? I mean I live 30 minutes from the Vancouver Consulate .. And we even put Vancouver as the consulate on our petition ...

I am pretty sure I know what happened ... They looked at where I was born (Chicoutimi Quebec) rather than my present address ... Regardless NVC admitted that it was a mistake and that they would forward it on to Vancouver anyways ...

I was just wondering about the file number changing or not as I would like to book my medical as I have heard it takes 2-3 weeks to get in to see the doctor here ...

And thanks to everyone who posted I got some really good information ... :)

:thumbs:

Edited by Waiting in Vancouver

K-1 VISA

AOS / EAD

I-751

Timeline

Ummm wouldn't living in the Langley which is a suburb of Vancouver be reason enough for them to send it to Vancouver rather than Montreal ?? I mean I live 30 minutes from the Vancouver Consulate .. And we even put Vancouver as the consulate on our petition ...

I am pretty sure I know what happened ... They looked at where I was born (Chicoutimi Quebec) rather than my present address ... Regardless NVC admitted that it was a mistake and that they would forward it on to Vancouver anyways ...

I was just wondering about the file number changing or not as I would like to book my medical as I have heard it takes 2-3 weeks to get in to see the doctor here ...

And thanks to everyone who posted I got some really good information ... :)

:thumbs:

Actually I don't know that they just don't get confused...after all I've never been east of Edmonton so there's no rhyme or reason to why mine got sent east. ;) I think that the NVC doesn't get that there's 2 locations and that Canada's pretty big. heh

The medical with your MTL number isn't an issue. There are at least 2 on these boards (myself and Lily) who went through everything in Vancouver but with an MTL number. I don't think it's an uncommon thing to have happen.

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Well I called the NVC today and the automatic system still said we didn't exist so I stayed on and waited for an agent ... I was told are petition was shipped to Montreal on April 5, 2006 ....

I said "WHAT ?? Why did you send it to Montreal when I live 30 minutes from Vancouver Consulate ??"

The agent told me I can request that they transfer me from Montreal to Vancouver ... After a brief conversation (explaining that Langley is in BC and only a short drive to Vancouver) the agent finally relised what I was saying and put me on hold ... When he returned he started appologizing over and over that they apparently messed up and sent our petition to Montreal and that they are fixing their mess up ...

Our petition will be shipped from Montreal to Vancouver once it arrives in Montreal ....

The agent was very appologetic ... I told him I wasn't upset ... I'd be more upset if I had to fly to Montreal instead of driving 30 minutes to the Consulate in Vancouver ...

Our file number that they gave us starts with MTL and I understand that Vancouver file numbers start with VAC.

I was wondering if anyone has had their petition transfered from Montreal to Vancouver and if so, if my number will be the same in Vancouver just that the 3 starting letters with change from MTL to VAC ??

-M-

Yep ! That happened to ours too. wasn't a problem tho. Vancouver recieved it within a week. They did keep the same NOA1 number withthe MSC instead of Vancouver on it which was a lil confusing but had no problems once it landed in Vancouver.

Goodluck !

Lily

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Timeline

It happened to me too. When I called NVC to ask for my case number, I found out that my petition was going to be sent to Manila, Philippines and gave me a MNL (Manila) case number. I told them that I no longer live there and I'm a permanent resident in Canada. The agent put me on hold, talked to her supervisor and then told me that they will send my petition to Montreal and gave me a MTL (Montreal) case number.

Our K1/K2 Timeline

03-19-2005 Mailed I-129F to NSC

03-25-2005 NOA 1

07-02-2005 NOA 2

07-28-2005 Received packet 3

07-29-2005 Sent DS-230 & checklist back to Montreal (received 8/1 accdg to Canada Post)

08-12-2005 Received packet 4

10-03-2005 Interview at Montreal!

10-05-2005 US K1/K2 visa received thru Xpresspost (day 191)

10-18-2005 Moved to USA

11-29-2005 Received SSN by mail

12-03-2005 Wedding day

Our AOS Timeline

01-11-2006 Mailed I-485 & I-765

01-13-2006 Got U.S. State ID & driver's license!

01-21-2006 NOAs by mail

02-04-2006 Biometrics letter (02-22-2006 Biometrics done)

03-28-2006 EAD approved online March 24

03-29-2006 Received EAD card

05-01-2006 Received letter for AOS interview on June 27

06-27-2006 AOS (K1/K2) approved!

07-07-2006 Green card received

Our I-751 Timeline

05-05-2008 Sent I-751 to NSC by express mail

05-19-2008 NOA letter from CSC

06-06-2008 Biometrics letter from CSC (06-24-2008 Biometrics done)

09-02-2008 Card production ordered

09-11-2008 Ten year green card received!

N-400 Timeline

08-29-2009 Oath taking ceremony

N-600 Timeline

12-06-2016 Sent N-600 by USPS priority mail

12-19-2016 Received text and email notification from USCIS

489544gkyrzfla3h.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.