ladywhite

my interview at BKK on September 5

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi there:

I would like to share my interview experience with those of you who may find this useful. The interview was not successful but I hope they will grant me a visa when I submit what is said on Section 221(g).

I had an interview with a Japanese-american CO. He was okay, not overly polite. Here are the questions he asked about my fiance:

1. when did you meet him?

2. what is his name?

3. he came to Thailand, too?

4. when did the last time you saw him?

5. what does he do?

6.what does that do?

7.how many times was he married?

The CO's interest did not seem to be in our relationship or any paperwork I had submitted earlier, but in my 8 year stay in the US from 1997-2005. He asked me back and forth between questions about my fiance and my years in the US and school.

The fact that I was in the US for 8+ years was questioned by the CO. My J-1 visa was issued to me in 1997 and expired in 2000, which I didn't come back to Thailand to have it renewed. I in fact never came back to Thailand during those 8 years, so the visa never got renewed. The whole time I was in the US legally because of the DS-2019 that the school i had attended issued to me every two years. At my interview, I had only the DS-2019 from 2003-2005, which is the only one i have left with me. I did not think my years in school in the US would cause me any trouble, so I didn't bother carrying my transcripts with me to the interview.

What the CO needs is for me to "provide proof, such as transcripts, that applicant was in status during 8 year stay in the US." ---> as written in the paper I was given by the CO with a checked box on Section 221(g)

I tried to argue back about my status. how could I have got my Master's and PhD had i been out of status? who in the world would have let me enroll and take classes? that didn't work since he said "we don't have proof here that you were not out of status during those 8 years. Eight years were a long time. You need to show us your transcripts to prove that you were in school the whole time."

I was really pissed off. Come to think of it, he was right, though. Nothing on my file proved that I was not in the US illegally. I am not sure if things would have gone differently had I had a diploma with me. problaby not. :(

Well, the bottom line is that, if you or your fiancee have stayed in the US at some point regardless of how long, prepare evidence that shows that your stay was legal.

I came to my interview with confidence without being nervous or excited because i knew our relationship was bona fide and the paperwork was complete. I didn't get any questions regarding my papaerwork.

here was the list of what I submitted:

MINE:

- two 2*2 photos (one was returned)

- my passport + copy

- DS-156 (unsigned)

- DS-156K (unsigned)

- DS-157 (unsigned)

- my ID card + copy

- my House registration (Tabeain Baan) + copy

- my BC + copy

- Police certificate (original)

- Visa fee receipt (original)

- paperwork received from the hospital (a sealed envelop and a film checst x-ray)

MY FIANCE'S:

- 2004, 2005, 2006 W2s

- copies of the first passport page and all the pages with entry and exit stamps to thailand

- his employer's letter

- his pay stubs x 3

- letter from his bank

- certified divorce decree

- I-134 (notarized)

- 2006 Tax return (I had 2004 and 2005 tax returns with me but didn't submit)

OURS:

- 34 pics chosen from our 6+ years together

- Email from Jan 2007 until September 3, 2007.

- E-card he has sent me over the years

- A few cards he sent via snail mail

- Proof of our meetings in thailand (e.g., his boardig passes (copies and originals), Hotel receipts with both our names)

I am eagerly waiting for the transcipts to be sent to me from the US so I can go back to the embassy, submit the transcripts, and then get my visa.

I hope this helps even a little.

Good luck to you all in this visa journey (and god luck to me, too).

(F)(F)

Click here to look at my K-1 journey and AOS adventure on my profile -- signature & story tab...

----------------------------------------------------

973181_1238682260.jpg

Check out our dog's blog here.

My ROC Adventure:

January 13, 2010----------Mailed out I-751 to VSC

January 15, 2010----------Package delivered

January 19, 2010----------NOA

January 21, 2010----------Check cashed

February 17, 2010---------Biometrics

April 8, 2010----------------Card production ordered

April 19, 2010---------------Card received in the mail

The Most Powerful Force in Life is Love

1095_thumb.gif1332_thumb.gif807_thumb.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If that is all the CO requires then provide it and for sure you will get your visa and above all please pray harder.

Regards,

Jamil

Met online

Filed for K1--> Denied 2005

-------------------------------------------

Married and filed for K3 2006

Got K3 this time --->August 2007

Entered the US-----> September 2007

Waiting to Adjust Status--->..............

***Live Like You Are Going To Die Tomorrow,

Dream Like You Are Going To Live Forever!***

That seems like a reasonable request so you will likely receive the visa once you provide the missing proof. Did they keep your passport? Good luck :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

sorry to hear it didn't go well. best of luck on a speedy approval after you submit your transcripts.

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Congratulations for getting this far, and don't give up hope! this is an easy request to accomodate, and soon you should have your visa!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thank you very much, everyone. :) I hope to receive my visa soon.

jasman0717: No, they didn't keep my passport.

God bless you all.

(F)

Click here to look at my K-1 journey and AOS adventure on my profile -- signature & story tab...

----------------------------------------------------

973181_1238682260.jpg

Check out our dog's blog here.

My ROC Adventure:

January 13, 2010----------Mailed out I-751 to VSC

January 15, 2010----------Package delivered

January 19, 2010----------NOA

January 21, 2010----------Check cashed

February 17, 2010---------Biometrics

April 8, 2010----------------Card production ordered

April 19, 2010---------------Card received in the mail

The Most Powerful Force in Life is Love

1095_thumb.gif1332_thumb.gif807_thumb.gif

Hi there:

I would like to share my interview experience with those of you who may find this useful. The interview was not successful but I hope they will grant me a visa when I submit what is said on Section 221(g).

I had an interview with a Japanese-american CO. He was okay, not overly polite. Here are the questions he asked about my fiance:

1. when did you meet him?

2. what is his name?

3. he came to Thailand, too?

4. when did the last time you saw him?

5. what does he do?

6.what does that do?

7.how many times was he married?

The CO's interest did not seem to be in our relationship or any paperwork I had submitted earlier, but in my 8 year stay in the US from 1997-2005. He asked me back and forth between questions about my fiance and my years in the US and school.

The fact that I was in the US for 8+ years was questioned by the CO. My J-1 visa was issued to me in 1997 and expired in 2000, which I didn't come back to Thailand to have it renewed. I in fact never came back to Thailand during those 8 years, so the visa never got renewed. The whole time I was in the US legally because of the DS-2019 that the school i had attended issued to me every two years. At my interview, I had only the DS-2019 from 2003-2005, which is the only one i have left with me. I did not think my years in school in the US would cause me any trouble, so I didn't bother carrying my transcripts with me to the interview.

What the CO needs is for me to "provide proof, such as transcripts, that applicant was in status during 8 year stay in the US." ---> as written in the paper I was given by the CO with a checked box on Section 221(g)

I tried to argue back about my status. how could I have got my Master's and PhD had i been out of status? who in the world would have let me enroll and take classes? that didn't work since he said "we don't have proof here that you were not out of status during those 8 years. Eight years were a long time. You need to show us your transcripts to prove that you were in school the whole time."

I was really pissed off. Come to think of it, he was right, though. Nothing on my file proved that I was not in the US illegally. I am not sure if things would have gone differently had I had a diploma with me. problaby not. :(

Well, the bottom line is that, if you or your fiancee have stayed in the US at some point regardless of how long, prepare evidence that shows that your stay was legal.

I came to my interview with confidence without being nervous or excited because i knew our relationship was bona fide and the paperwork was complete. I didn't get any questions regarding my papaerwork.

here was the list of what I submitted:

MINE:

- two 2*2 photos (one was returned)

- my passport + copy

- DS-156 (unsigned)

- DS-156K (unsigned)

- DS-157 (unsigned)

- my ID card + copy

- my House registration (Tabeain Baan) + copy

- my BC + copy

- Police certificate (original)

- Visa fee receipt (original)

- paperwork received from the hospital (a sealed envelop and a film checst x-ray)

MY FIANCE'S:

- 2004, 2005, 2006 W2s

- copies of the first passport page and all the pages with entry and exit stamps to thailand

- his employer's letter

- his pay stubs x 3

- letter from his bank

- certified divorce decree

- I-134 (notarized)

- 2006 Tax return (I had 2004 and 2005 tax returns with me but didn't submit)

OURS:

- 34 pics chosen from our 6+ years together

- Email from Jan 2007 until September 3, 2007.

- E-card he has sent me over the years

- A few cards he sent via snail mail

- Proof of our meetings in thailand (e.g., his boardig passes (copies and originals), Hotel receipts with both our names)

I am eagerly waiting for the transcipts to be sent to me from the US so I can go back to the embassy, submit the transcripts, and then get my visa.

I hope this helps even a little.

Good luck to you all in this visa journey (and god luck to me, too).

Dearest Ladywhite,

Great review of your BKK interview. Yours is an interesting case regarding your legal presence in the U.S. during your education. For sure, it does sound like a reasonable request from the CO, and it should be an easy 'final hurdle' for you to get past. I believe and pray that you'll have your visa as soon as you turn in the requested documents.

FYI - We were also missing one document at the time of our interview and given the 221(g). We took our time and got the document a few weeks later and then turned it in to the consulate. The BKK consulate does not hold your passport while they wait for you to turn in docs. So, as soon as we went in with the 221(g) and the missing document, they took AAm's passport, issued the visa, and returned it to us within one hour!

I'm sure the case will be the same for you as well. Just be sure to collect all the transcripts/docs they have requested, turn them in to the CO, and you'll be fine!

Congratulations on getting this far in your visa journey! You're almost there! Keep us posted!

Peace to you,

Mark-N-AAm

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.