205 posts in this topic

I know this is likely to go over like a lead balloon, but...

if you see an immigration question posted here and your reply to said question is a 'guess' - PLEASE refrain from hitting the 'add reply' button. If you absolutely MUST post something in response, please post a few words of encouragement to the OP, and feel confident that someone knowledgeable about that particular topic will happen along and give the correct answer.

I know this is a peer to peer information sharing service where everyone is encouraged to post their experiences. VJ is obviously NOT a legal information site and all info here should be checked by the recipient of said information. It is ultimately up to the person posing the question to weigh the advice they were given, do their own research, and act according to their own conscience.

At the same time, the amount of bad advice and misinformation lately seems to be getting worse (IMHO). People will post something that is blatantly wrong, then never come back to the thread to see that they were corrected - so what happens? They continue to post that misinformation anytime the question is asked. Its a vicious cycle that can all be rectified if the responder replies only when they are confident in the voracity of their answer.

Thank you for your time and attention. :D

SA4userbar.jpg

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

if you see an immigration question posted here and your reply to said question is a 'guess' - PLEASE refrain from hitting the 'add reply' button. If you absolutely MUST post something in response, please post a few words of encouragement to the OP, and feel confident that someone knowledgeable about that particular topic will happen along and give the correct answer.

I know this is a peer to peer information sharing service where everyone is encouraged to post their experiences. VJ is obviously NOT a legal information site and all info here should be checked by the recipient of said information. It is ultimately up to the person posing the question to weigh the advice they were given, do their own research, and act according to their own conscience.

At the same time, the amount of bad advice and misinformation lately seems to be getting worse (IMHO). People will post something that is blatantly wrong, then never come back to the thread to see that they were corrected - so what happens? They continue to post that misinformation anytime the question is asked. Its a vicious cycle that can all be rectified if the responder replies only when they are confident in the voracity of their answer.[/b]

:thumbs: AMEN

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: Timeline

At the same time, the amount of bad advice and misinformation lately seems to be getting worse (IMHO). People will post something that is blatantly wrong, then never come back to the thread to see that they were corrected - so what happens? They continue to post that misinformation anytime the question is asked. Its a vicious cycle that can all be rectified if the responder replies only when they are confident in the voracity of their answer.

:thumbs:

Filed: Other Timeline

Might I also suggest - to members both new and old - that when you do post to a thread, you return to it later for follow up discussion.

Many a time I have returned to a thread (as is my habit) to learn something more in-depth about the subject. Even when I knew the basic part of the answer.

PS - Even though I'm a 'older member' here, I still watch myself to only post about things I know - and when I do mess up, the other 'older members' catch me! LOL!

Read More - Post Less - Return To Your Threads!

How about if someone want s to post a response they quote the specific INA section applicable?

OMG.....who can read that stuff? Philadelphia lawyers?

All kidding aside - it is always good to post the source.

But for us here, anecdotal experience is really the BEST post you can offer. Something you did with your case - that worked - or something that happened with the interview - that worked.

The site was built originally around anecdotal experience accounts plus the timeline function.

How about if someone want s to post a response they quote the specific INA section applicable?

I consider pertinent links as a 'right answer'. And sometimes, its better to have a link, as it forces the OP to do some research.

Might I also suggest - to members both new and old - that when you do post to a thread, you return to it later for follow up discussion.

Many a time I have returned to a thread (as is my habit) to learn something more in-depth about the subject. Even when I knew the basic part of the answer.

PS - Even though I'm a 'older member' here, I still watch myself to only post about things I know - and when I do mess up, the other 'older members' catch me! LOL!

A-freakin-men to that!

I wouldn't have learned ANYthing about immigration if I posted and then never returned. And like RJ - I still learn things regularly, even after 3 years around here.

SA4userbar.jpg

At the same time, the amount of bad advice and misinformation lately seems to be getting worse (IMHO). People will post something that is blatantly wrong, then never come back to the thread to see that they were corrected - so what happens? They continue to post that misinformation anytime the question is asked. Its a vicious cycle that can all be rectified if the responder replies only when they are confident in the voracity of their answer.[/b]

:thumbs: AMEN

Double amen! :thumbs::thumbs:

It's simple enough, surely... I know everyone makes mistakes from time to time, but if you really don't know the answer to a question that someone posts, is it really that hard to resist the urge to just pluck a random one out of the air and post it as if it's fact? :)

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

In addition to Tracy's request, this is very good advice, Becca! I'm sure we've all been caught out a time or two giving out misinformation (not maliciously, of course) and if you don't revisit a thread you'll never know! I know I have been wrong and appreciate someone gently pointing out my error, which I do acknowledge.

So I guess my addition to this thread is for those doing the correcting, please be gentle! There's no need for name-calling and belittling. Not that I see it a lot, but it does happen.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread!

In addition to Tracy's request, this is very good advice, Becca! I'm sure we've all been caught out a time or two giving out misinformation (not maliciously, of course) and if you don't revisit a thread you'll never know! I know I have been wrong and appreciate someone gently pointing out my error, which I do acknowledge.

So I guess my addition to this thread is for those doing the correcting, please be gentle! There's no need for name-calling and belittling. Not that I see it a lot, but it does happen.

:yes:

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

AMEN Tracy!

This is MAJOR issue to me. It is NOT ok for people post responses as if they know they are 100% sure about it when they clearly have NO idea what they are talking about. Yes, it's up to each and every person here to be responsible for their own cases. But many many people are here because they cannot afford to run things past an attorney, even in serious situations. So when someone provides wholly incorrect information as if it were definitely correct, they are completely misleading the OP - often with very serious, disasterous consequences.

If you do not know the answer, it's fairly simple to post "I am not sure, but I think. . . " or "In my opinion".

Agree with both of you - RJ's 'Read More/Post Less/Return To Your Threads' mantra, and Julezabelle's point that being gentle is good. Most people would feel a bit embarrassed/silly to realise they've given totally wrong advice (I know I do...) and would surely be happy to learn where they're going wrong. Which is where 'returning to your threads' comes in handy... :yes:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Read More...Post Less....Return To Your Thread....Know Your Consulate.

ie - What works easily in London might not work in Manila. What you have to do for Ho Chi Mihn City you might not need to do for Canada.

Soooooooooooooo.......it's not always ok to say 'you'll be fine'.

Edited by rebeccajo