REP&KMM

Worst Mistake Ever...

62 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hey guys,

Rich had his visa interview Monday, was approved and the courier dropped his passport off yesterday. When the courier dropped it off he said to Rich "Ive never seen one of these bulky envelopes before, wonder why you got that??", and silly Rich, the excited kid, just had to open everything up. He opened up the mysterious confidential brown envelope, even though we have been warned 1000 times about not opening it-somehow that slipped by him...

Rich called the embassy this morning, and spoke to a really rude man (he was like "you opened the brown envelope, WHAT?!"),He told Rich it would take 2 weeks to get the envelope re-sealed and the visa/passport back to him.

Since the guy was so rude when he talked to him, Rich decided to call the extortion line again and see if he would get any other response- he talked to a really nice lady who was really helpful and said that the embassy will see that Rich's travel date is next Wednesday (!!!) and would possibly try to get the envelope back to him on time.

We've emailed the embassy, but it takes 4-5 days to get a reply so who knows what is going to happen. The courier is coming tomorrow to pick up his brown envelope, and our fate is basically in the embassy's hands-I just feel so devastated right now. Had this not have happened, Rch and I would just be ridiculously happy right now, but instead we're in limbo... I just wish I knew what was going to happen- has anyone heard of situations like this at the London Embassy?? Any stories would be great, I just feel so down right now. :(

Katie & Rich

Our Story:

2/22/2006: Met in Derby England

2/22/2006- 6/16/2006: Getting to know each other & falling in love

6/16/2006-9/5/2006: Summer apart... HUGE phone bills!

9/5/2006-12/19/2006: Reunited in Derby!

12/28/2006-1/9/2007: Rich comes to America

1/10/2007-7/14/2007:England for another semester together

2/14/2007: Rich proposes!!

6/27/2007: US entry @ JFK

9/7/2007: Married!

K-1 Process:

3/8/07: I-129F sent to VSC

3/12/07: NOA1

3/17/07: Touched

4/2/07: NOA2!!!

4/3/07: Touched

AOS/EAD Process:

9/24/07: Filed for AOS/ EAD

9/28/07: NOA1 for AOS and EAD

10/17/07: Biometrics in Manchester, NH

11/16/07: EAD approved!

12/3/07: Case transferred to CSC

2/1/08: AOS approved!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no! What is it with the menfolk on VJ these days -- forgetting to send in checklists, and now opening the MBE?? Sheesh, it's a good thing we love them so much or they'd all be in for the high jump! :devil:

I have my fingers and every other crossable bit crossed for you two. If the packet is on its way back down tomorrow, it's likely it will be handled on Monday at the earliest. Then it needs to be handled, resealed and returned. Did you put in a note explaining why the packet needs to be resealed and returned ASAP? Is there any way you can change Rich's flight? Might be a good back up plan.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Ahhh! Well...congrats on the approval, anyway. I know I've read of others opening the MBE several times before (although not sure which embassy.) It was a bit of a hold up, but not a huge ordeal. I just hope you still make your travel plans!

Our Visa Journey

2/13 - I-129F sent to TSC

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/5 - POE @ Dallas/Ft. Worth

8/11 - Wedding!!

10/15 - received Greencard

Got 10-year Greencard

Honestly when Chas saw the envelope, he knew not to open it, but he was curious to see how it was 'marked'. It doesn't say on it 'do not open', which he thought would be an easy way to prevent such things.

I mean really, why the consulate cannot invest $2 to get a big 'do not open' stamp for that envelope is beyond me.

At least it can be rectified, but still.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Sorry to hear about the envelop... but what is this envelop???? You receive an envelop yet you can not open it? Where do you take it after you receive it? Please expalin so that we don't make the same mistake. Again, sorry!

5/14/07 Mailed K1 VSC

10/19/07 APPROVED on 10/15

10/26/07 Packet 3 rec'd

10/29/07 Packet 3 sent

11/14/07 Interview (I am off to Germany 11/9)

11/30/07 VISA rec'd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12/25/07 POE JFK

1/25/08 Wedding day

2/11/08 Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

3/13/08 NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP

04/04/08 Biometrics for AOS/EAD

04/15/08 EMAIL APPROVED EAD & AP

4/24/08 Receiveed EAD card in the Mail

6/16/08 Email AOS: Welcome notice mailed

6/23/08 Email AOS: Approval Notice Sent

April 2009 FINALLY received card!

3/11/10 Sent I 751

3/19/10 Rec'd NOA1

Its the envelope that you take with you to immigration when you enter the US. It basically contains everything you've sent in and that they have gathered during the K1 process.

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

But if it is your information then whats the mistery of not being able to open it? do do you hand it to the immigration person at POE? He just takes it? Files it? Thanks for your response

5/14/07 Mailed K1 VSC

10/19/07 APPROVED on 10/15

10/26/07 Packet 3 rec'd

10/29/07 Packet 3 sent

11/14/07 Interview (I am off to Germany 11/9)

11/30/07 VISA rec'd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12/25/07 POE JFK

1/25/08 Wedding day

2/11/08 Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

3/13/08 NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP

04/04/08 Biometrics for AOS/EAD

04/15/08 EMAIL APPROVED EAD & AP

4/24/08 Receiveed EAD card in the Mail

6/16/08 Email AOS: Welcome notice mailed

6/23/08 Email AOS: Approval Notice Sent

April 2009 FINALLY received card!

3/11/10 Sent I 751

3/19/10 Rec'd NOA1

Oh dear... I expect they'll get it back to you as soon as they can, but like Maven said - lucky you love him, or he'd definitely be for it! I can't even imagine your 'you did WHAT?!?!?!' reaction when you heard that one!

Hope you get it back ASAP! :)

Oh, and Tracy.... I thought that, too - I was really worried that the puny strip of sellotape would somehow open itself, as well, even if I didn't touch the damned envelope, and thought the faint stamp that said 'to be opened by a department of homeland security official only' (or whatever) would be better replaced by a giant bold 'DO NOT OPEN' one. It's amazing how many people DO open the thing - and I was expecting some much more serious sealing & stamping would have gone on to avoid that!

Sorry to hear about the envelop... but what is this envelop???? You receive an envelop yet you can not open it? Where do you take it after you receive it? Please expalin so that we don't make the same mistake. Again, sorry!

When you get your visa, your passport (with visa in it) will be given back to you (in the case of London, it is sent by courier, but some consulates will let people collect it in person, I think) along with a sealed envelope. The envelope contains all the forms etc you've sent to USCIS for the initial petition, all the DS- forms from Packet 3 that you sent to the consulate, your medical report... everything. You're not allowed to open it - you have to present the sealed envelope to the immigration official who inspects you at the POE when you arrive in the US.

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

But if it is your information then whats the mistery of not being able to open it? do do you hand it to the immigration person at POE? He just takes it? Files it? Thanks for your response

I didn't think it was this complicated.

It is 'your' information, but it is essentially the documentation that supports the issuance of the visa. By that token, its the property of USCIS/DOS.

Yes, you hand it and your passport to the person at POE. We have not gone through POE yet, but my understanding is that they keep it. The envelope and contents - not your passport.

*edited for clarity*

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

Hey guys,

Rich had his visa interview Monday, was approved and the courier dropped his passport off yesterday. When the courier dropped it off he said to Rich "Ive never seen one of these bulky envelopes before, wonder why you got that??", and silly Rich, the excited kid, just had to open everything up. He opened up the mysterious confidential brown envelope, even though we have been warned 1000 times about not opening it-somehow that slipped by him...

Rich called the embassy this morning, and spoke to a really rude man (he was like "you opened the brown envelope, WHAT?!"),He told Rich it would take 2 weeks to get the envelope re-sealed and the visa/passport back to him.

Since the guy was so rude when he talked to him, Rich decided to call the extortion line again and see if he would get any other response- he talked to a really nice lady who was really helpful and said that the embassy will see that Rich's travel date is next Wednesday (!!!) and would possibly try to get the envelope back to him on time.

We've emailed the embassy, but it takes 4-5 days to get a reply so who knows what is going to happen. The courier is coming tomorrow to pick up his brown envelope, and our fate is basically in the embassy's hands-I just feel so devastated right now. Had this not have happened, Rch and I would just be ridiculously happy right now, but instead we're in limbo... I just wish I knew what was going to happen- has anyone heard of situations like this at the London Embassy?? Any stories would be great, I just feel so down right now. :(

I did the same thing too !!! Dont wait for the embassy to reply. Send the opened envelope back through the courier to the embassy, and include a letter about what happened. Apologise profusely for the error and tell them when your flight is and if they can help you then you will be forever grateful, blah blah. My lawyer advised me to do this and it worked a treat. I had the resealed envelope back within 4 days, delivered by SMS Courier (god love them) on the morning of my flight to the US. Dont panic - all the embassy do is check the contents and re-seal. Keep in contact with SMS too and try them every day to see if they have been given the envelope back to deliver. Make sure you mark the envelope URGENT (the one with your letter explaining what happened in) and mark clearly when your flight date is. The embassy will really try to turn it around for you if they see when the travel date is and you grovel lots in the letter !!! good luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I didn't think it was this complicated.

It is 'your' information, but it is essentially the documentation that supports the issuance of the visa. By that token, its the property of USCIS/DOS.

Yes, you hand it and your passport to the person at POE. We have not gone through POE yet, but my understanding is that they keep it. The envelope and contents - not your passport.

*edited for clarity*

It is DO NOT OPEN so that the "chain of custody" is maintained and nothing gets added or subtracted from your file...

YMMV

Oh dear! Silly men! I hope you get it back soon!

K-1 visa issued: 12/15/2006

107 days from mailing AOS package to receiving green card! Received 6/27/07 dated 6/20/07

Removing conditions:

mailed 5/22/2009

Recieved at CSC 5/23/2009

Check cashed 5/27/09

NOA date 5/26/09 - still not received

I-551 stamp in passport 6/19/09

Biometrics notice date 6/16/09

Biometrics received 6/20/09

Biometrics apt date 7/9/09

Biometrics cancellation notice 6/27/09

Biometrics apt notice date 6/26 recieved 7/7

Biometrics apt 7/22/09

Touch 7/22/09

Finally able to see online info 7/22/09

Card production email 8/19/09 date ordered 8/18

Recieved approval letter in mail 8/19/09 date 8/13!

Touch 8/19

Email stating approval notice sent 8/24/09

Green card in hand!! 8/24/09

Husband joined army and moved from San Diego to Ft. Benning GA! 8/30/11

Filed N400 based on 5 years of residency 9/12/12

Recieved email notifcation recieved package 9/19/12

Biometrics 10/22/12

Early Biometrics 10/04/12

In line for interview 10/8/12 for 8 days

Interview 11/20/12 PASSED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

The UK Citizen also has the option of calling the embassy liaison through your MP. On the American side you can call the embassy from the US on a toll free number (there used to be one, dunno about now) .

I called and expedited the appt with success.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.