happyimmigrant

K-1 Medical in Toronto

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had my K-1 medical done this morning at Dr. Howard Seiden & Associates in Toronto. Their web site is: http://www.panelphysicians.com

I booked the medical last Wednesday. They booked me for Monday, they told me "anytime between 7:00 am 8:30 am." Looking on their web site, they do medicals between 7:00 am and 8:30 am on Mondays and Wednesdays.

I arrived at 6:45 am and stood outside as the door was locked. By the time they opened up at 7:00 am, there were about 20 people in line, fortunately I was first in line. I handed them my consulate letter, they took my information, gave me my letter back, and sent me to a waiting room. I was there for about five minutes before being called to an office. A woman took my name and address, my $185 in cash, my passport, and my passport-sized picture, printed out some forms, stuck the picture at the top of one of the forms, and then handed the whole bundle of paper back to me. On top of it was a small checklist of all the things required: weight, blood pressure, bloodwork, exam, x-ray. As each thing was done, the person doing it signed off the little checklist. She sent me back to the waiting room, where I waited for about 5 more minutes before being called into another office. During this time I read through the entire medical form that the doctor had to fill out for USCIS - I won't bother going into it, because it is the exact same form as I saw posted on the Internet elsewhere.

Another woman asked my height and weight, did some more form work, then took me to an exam room. I waited there for about 5 minutes before yet another woman came in and took my blood pressure and heart rate. She then gave me a "robe" (large paper sheet with a hole in the middle to stick your head through) and told me to completely undress and wear just the robe.

I did so, and within 5 minutes the doctor came in, a very nice lady. She was very thorough and polite. She took my vaccination information, and asked why I had had a pneumococcal vaccination - I told her "because it was on the sheet." She said that it was not required unless I was in an "at risk" group - very young or very old. No harm however. I am on a couple prescription medications and she took detailed notes on those. I had looked up the dates I started each medication, the name and dosage and printed them all out on an information sheet - she was very appreciative of this and recorded the information duly. She was also interested in any surgeries I had had.

After that a nurse came in to do the physical exam. It was fairly brief - a cursory exam of the throat, palpation of glands in my neck, listening to my breathing and heart, palpation of major abdominal organs. I was not asked to remove the robe at any time, nor was there any exam of anything else under the robe, if you know what I mean. :)

After that they left and allowed me to dress, and I was then sent back to the main waiting room - for about 30 seconds before being called in to have my blood drawn. She was very good and I hardly felt a thing.

Next I was sent to sit in a line of chairs to wait for a chest x-ray. Less than 5 minutes there, and I was in and out of the x-ray room in a couple of minutes. I then went back to the front desk, gave them my completed checklist, and told that I could pick up my completed medical packet anytime after noon on Wednesday. Alternatively, I could pay an extra $20 and they would courier it to me. I told them I would pick it up, as I was in the area regularly anyway.

I walked out at 8:10 am, just a bit over an hour for the whole process. Everyone there was very nice, very polite and professional. I was very impressed.

Some notes: Arrive early. No doubt the reason I was out by 8:10 was because I arrived early and was first in line. They seem reasonably efficient at getting people through, but it still didn't hurt getting there early. You can park on the street outside the place at a meter for two hours - bring change or a credit card for the electronic parking meters. Alternatively, there is a parking lot one block east, just south of Front Street that will charge $7 before 7 am.

Edited by gsmaclean

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats! Looks like y'all are almost done with Phase I :) We're still waiting for an interview here...sigh.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline
Congrats! Looks like y'all are almost done with Phase I :) We're still waiting for an interview here...sigh.

I'm eager to see what interview date you guys get, because whatever you get, we should be about two weeks later. I hope!

I included this cover letter with the submission of my DS-230:

If it is at all possible, I would greatly appreciate any expediting of the interview date that you may be able to provide. I would also welcome the opportunity to utilize any cancelled interview date that may become available.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Will it have any effect? I have no idea. Can't hurt, I suppose. If you don't ask, you don't get. :)

Hey thanks for the detail on this, I am probably going to have mine done in toronto at the same place as well so this was very informative. I've compied into an email so I can keep it to look over again. You are very helpful!!

Lifting of Conditions

*Sent form 05/15 to CA Service Center

*NOA1 Received 5/19

*RFE Received 06/2009

*Biometrics 07/2009

*RFE sent to CSC 09/2009

*Notification of RFE acceptance 10/2009

*Interview Date: December 4th!

*January 9th: Received 10 year Green Card in the mail :)

thanks for the info! i'll take your tip and arrive early when i get to do mine - that way i should only be out 1/2 day pay :thumbs:

wishing you speedieness the rest of the way.

k

Timeline
Hey thanks for the detail on this, I am probably going to have mine done in toronto at the same place as well so this was very informative. I've compied into an email so I can keep it to look over again. You are very helpful!!

Glad I could help. I've gotten so much out of this site, it's only fair I post some of my experiences back to try to help everyone else out.

thanks for the info! i'll take your tip and arrive early when i get to do mine - that way i should only be out 1/2 day pay :thumbs:

wishing you speedieness the rest of the way.

k

Believe it or not, I was able to finish my medical exam AND get to work half an hour early. I was expecting to blow half a day!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.