mybackpages

DS 156

12 posts in this topic

My fiance received DS156 in French (he also received DS 230 and DS 156K in English). The instructions from the consulate tells him to bring 2 copies of the DS 156 to the interview. The only DS156 available online is the one to be submitted electronically - no downloadable form.

I emailed the consulate, but VJers are much more reliable. I remember reading here that DS 156 was only going to be used electronically now, but not sure it is applicable in the case of the consulate interview. IS it possible the consulate just forgot to mail the english version? Could he use the french forms but answer in English? Suggestions?

ds156french.jpg

ds156frenchpage2.jpg

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Timeline

mybackpages,

Fill the electronic DS-156 out online, submit it, and print it. Don't fill it out and submit it without a printer available.

You probably can save the completed DS-156 if you use Acrobat to fill it out rather than Acrobat Reader.

Yodrak

My fiance received DS156 in French (he also received DS 230 and DS 156K in English). The instructions from the consulate tells him to bring 2 copies of the DS 156 to the interview. The only DS156 available online is the one to be submitted electronically - no downloadable form.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You fill the form out on line and it generates a PDF document filled out wit a special bar code with all the data entered into the form, the PDF is then downloadable for your records, and is printable filled out. The online system keeps no data or transmits no data, just generates the filled out PDF with bar code.

Yes most consulates are now requesting that you use the online form generator, and it is a good idea, all they need to do when you get to the consulate to enter the information on the form into their system is to scan that bar code, this reduces mistakes from entering into the system.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I don't recall submitting a DS-156 electronically unless I am confused. We filled it out online, generated the bar code and printed it. The form was available on the consulate website in both English and Spanish but it indicates that the answers must be in English. This was the form was provided at the consulate interview.

Timeline
mybackpages,

Fill the electronic DS-156 out online, submit it, and print it. Don't fill it out and submit it without a printer available.

You probably can save the completed DS-156 if you use Acrobat to fill it out rather than Acrobat Reader.

Yodrak

The electronic form on line for the DS-156, generates a form filled out, that can be saved, reader is all that is needed, full adobe is not.

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

YuAndDan,

Thanks for correcting me on that.

Yodrak

mybackpages,

Yodrak

The electronic form on line for the DS-156, generates a form filled out, that can be saved, reader is all that is needed, full adobe is not.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I also filled it in pressed continue and was given a form to print of and send in by mail....Did not see it had to be sent in electronically :blink:

AOS and EAD Timeline

First Application rejected due to them not receiving $70 for Biometrics, even though I had a receipt from them :-(

NOA1 - 10/01/2007

Biometrics - Middle of October, don't have exact date sorry

I-485 and I-765 Touched - 10/23/2007

EAD Approved - 10/27/2007

Nothing Since

Timeline
I also filled it in pressed continue and was given a form to print of and send in by mail....Did not see it had to be sent in electronically :blink:
Correct, filling out on line does not send it electronically, you need to print it out and mail it or bring it to the consulate, depending on the consulate's policy. The online form generator is used to make that custom bar code, that is all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Your fiance can use the French language DS-156 and he can complete it by hand (in French, if he so wants). While the online-fillable variant of the previously-mentioned form is compulsory for the non-immigrant visa applicants, the classical DS-156 filled out in pen is acceptable for those seeking K1 visas.

Thanks everyone! VJ comes to the rescue again :thumbs:

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Your fiance can use the French language DS-156 and he can complete it by hand (in French, if he so wants). While the online-fillable variant of the previously-mentioned form is compulsory for the non-immigrant visa applicants, the classical DS-156 filled out in pen is acceptable for those seeking K1 visas.

I would recommend double-checking this with the consulate since many consulates are no longer accepting handwritten DS-156 forms. Since a K1 is technically a non-immigrant visa, they may require the electronic version with the bar code generated.

Callina,

Maybe still in Romania, and maybe still in France also, but no longer at many consulates. Most consulates want the new DS-156 with the bar code because it saves time and prevents errors by not having to re-enter information from the form into their data systems.

Yodrak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.