lomeshp

Tax deduction question.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

My wife immigrated to the states in August of 2005 (last year)

my questionw as what all deductions am I elgible for??

Can I apply deductions for the phone bills and her moving expenses (immgration fees, taxes, etc)?

and if yes, how do I file them?

---------------------------------------

1. CR1 Visas [Complete/2005/Total Days: 198]

2. Removal of Conditions [Complete/2007-2008/Total Days: 388]

3. Citizenship [Completed/2008-2009/Total Days: 113]

>> View complete timeline

It took us 1496 days from day I filed I-130 to Citizenship & Oath.

Filed: Timeline
My wife immigrated to the states in August of 2005 (last year)

my questionw as what all deductions am I elgible for??

Can I apply deductions for the phone bills and her moving expenses (immgration fees, taxes, etc)?

and if yes, how do I file them?

You can deduct work related moving expenses. The moving expenses of our spouses typically don't fall into that category. :no:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I concur. Only job-related moving expenses can be used as a deduction. Since your spouse has a family-based visa, not work-based, you cannot deduct immigration or travel expenses under the current regulations.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

See Publication 521.

It's possible that moving related expenses may be deductible for some VJ'ers. The move must be closely related, both in time and in place, to the start of new work. Probably many won't qualify because they don't get a job right away, but others might. Most will meet the distance test, at least.

The rules don't specify that there has to be a cause/effect relationship between the move and the job. The new job might have caused the move, or the move might have caused you to get a new job. The important thing is that you meet the time and distance tests specified in the rules.

Anyway, publication 521 explains it far better than I could.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

What about this scenario? I moved back from Mexico in May (with my husband) and I had to find a new job. I didn't start working until July though. I realize I need to decide this on my own (or my accountant does) but I just wanted some opinions on whether we could deduct our moving expenses because of this.

Jeremiah 29:11-13 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart"

our extended timeline

05/05 - Entered US
10/3 - Mailed I-485 and I-765
10/14 - NOA1 for AOS and I-765.
10/22 - I-485 Biometrics NOA received, appt 11/15
10/27 - Touched on both I-485 and I-765.
10/31 - I-765 Biometrics NOA dated 10/24. Appt on 11/29 at 12PM.
11/15 - Biometrics for I-485 and I-765 done on same day.
11/16 & 27 - Case "touched" on bcis.gov.
12/7 - EAD approval by e-mail. Card is on its way. Thank you Lord!!
12/12 - Received EAD.
1/9/06 - Applied for SSN. Received 1/17
3/30 - Got our AOS Interview notice!! Interview date 5/31
5/31/06 - Permanent residency granted! Passport stamped IR6. God is so faithful!

2/2/16 - Mailed in N-400 paperwork

2/10/16 - Received text that N-400 paperwork was received.

2/16/16 - Text that fingerprint appointment has been scheduled.

3/1/16 - Biometrics interview, Naperville, IL

3/11/16 - E-notice that case is in line for an interview

7/8/16 - Text/site updated that Interview date has been assigned

7/14/16 - Received letter dated 7/11 with interview date on 8/11
8/11/16 - Interview, given paper that said passed test but no decision can be made at this time.

10/18/16 - Received text, status online updated to say oath ceremony has been scheduled!!!!

Notice: I am not a lawyer nor legal profession; my posts on this website are just my lay opinions, formulated from my own case.

• 6 months later...
What about this scenario? I moved back from Mexico in May (with my husband) and I had to find a new job. I didn't start working until July though. I realize I need to decide this on my own (or my accountant does) but I just wanted some opinions on whether we could deduct our moving expenses because of this.

No because you didn't move because of a job. You're looking for a job because of the move. Big diff.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

No because you didn't move because of a job. You're looking for a job because of the move. Big diff.

I wouldn't be so sure on knocking this one down. I'd check the IRS mauals and work my way through them. I mean, I moved before for a job That I didn't actually start right away. Those expenses were still deductible. And I suspect that even if one moves and then finds a new job in the new location and starts working some time after the move that the moving expenses would still be covered.

If she moved to the USA from another country you can not claim the cost of moving unless she was sponsored by her employer and has a work visa... if her visa was to allow her to get married then her international move was for marriage and not work....

That is the explanation we were given by IRS last year....

Kezzie