crow_dio

Age difference a problem?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all,

First, I want to thank everyone who contributes to this site. It is an amazing resource. I plan on contributing everything I can also as I go through the K1 Application process.

My question to you all is about the difference in age between myself and my fiance. I am 27 and she is 17 (will be 18 in October). Will this be a negative factor in the acceptance of my application?

A little background: She is from Thailand (which the current news media isn't helping). I am in Thailand and we have been staying together for the past 3 months. I met her in March, returned to the US, and then returned to Thailand to get engaged and be with her. I plan on staying with her here until we can go to the US. I have plenty of proof of having met, ongoing relationship, etc.

She will be 18 by the time we were to get married or even receive the visa, but I wanted to know if anyone thought there was any reason why I couldn't get the ball rolling now? Also, I was worried that her signatures on the forms may not be accepted because she is under 18 and I should wait until she turns 18 to get her to fill out the paperwork. It is very difficult to work in Thailand and it is in our best interest to get back to the US ASAP so I want to file the application ASAP.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Yikes! they may definately raise an eyebrow here. first let me say...You HAVE to wait for her to be 18 before she can legaly sign anything otherwise its invalid. second...3 months is not long for them to consider your relationship genuine if you havn't been together for at least two years. once they see she just turned 18 it may raise a little red flag. In any case im not saying its impossible but you definatley have to wait til she is 18. it may be better to get married once she is 18 then file for a k-3. I'm sure in your case it would be a good thing to get written affidavits from your parents and her's saying they accept the marriage. don't get them til you are ready to file.

ARR.jpgaug06ayeshaB.jpg

Meeting Online: Yahoo chartroom Aug 2001.

Direct meeting & marriage: Dec 2003 USA, NY

I-130 petition in DCFR Tokyo: March 14th 2004. Case reffered to DHS USCIS

Four visits to japan in 2004: Oct 2004, wife got pragnant.

Wife/Fiance left USA and moved into Japan: Feb 5th 2005.

Baby Born: June 24th 2005(Japan)

I-130 denied: July 17 2005(Divorce was declared not valid)

Refiling Divorce: oJuly 17th 2005 NY State.

Divorce granted: Nov 17th 2005

K-1 application: Mar 1st 2006

Approval: May 23rd 2006

US consulate RFE: June 15th 2006

FRE sent (Original passports, birth certificate, all origional docs): July 10th 2006

Medical: Oct 11th 2006.

Interview: Nov 10th 2006(expected)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with gugu. Wait until she's 18. Then, marry and apply for K3. You'll go back to the States and get established with a job and domicile. She'll wait in Thailand. The wait for K3 may be comparable to K1.

It's not a question of age difference. It's a question of you being engaged to a child. Even if you wait until she'll 18, you'll still raise eyebrows and may have a hard time gathering proof of a legitimate relationship. Have you asked this question of others going through Thailand?

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

True.

One thing that is helpful and you will need to consider is the rules in your state with regards to age, it is different in each state.

Since you did not fill any data in your profile it is harder for us to know your situation.

So here is a chart and the rules for all 50 states, you have to comply by the rules in your jurisdiction before USCIS will consider your case.

http://www.coolnurse.com/marriage_laws.htm

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

I agree with gugu. Wait until she's 18. Then, marry and apply for K3. You'll go back to the States and get established with a job and domicile. She'll wait in Thailand. The wait for K3 may be comparable to K1.

It's not a question of age difference. It's a question of you being engaged to a child. Even if you wait until she'll 18, you'll still raise eyebrows and may have a hard time gathering proof of a legitimate relationship. Have you asked this question of others going through Thailand?

She IS a child. :huh:

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

I believe she needs to be eligible to marry the day she writes her own letter of intent to marry you. Hang on for another month.

The ten year age difference won't matter at that point.

Good luck! :thumbs:

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: Timeline

crow_dio,

I believe that Thai must be 17 years of age to marry, but requires parental consent if under the age of 20.

For immigration purposes the USA recognizes marriages that are recognized by the government of the country where the marriage took place, with some exceptions such as same-sex marriages and poligamy.

Consider having a consultation with US immigration attorney William F White who practices in Bangkok to discuss the specifics of your situation. WFWlaw@AOL.com

Yodrak

Hello all,

First, I want to thank everyone who contributes to this site. It is an amazing resource. I plan on contributing everything I can also as I go through the K1 Application process.

My question to you all is about the difference in age between myself and my fiance. I am 27 and she is 17 (will be 18 in October). Will this be a negative factor in the acceptance of my application?

A little background: She is from Thailand (which the current news media isn't helping). I am in Thailand and we have been staying together for the past 3 months. I met her in March, returned to the US, and then returned to Thailand to get engaged and be with her. I plan on staying with her here until we can go to the US. I have plenty of proof of having met, ongoing relationship, etc.

She will be 18 by the time we were to get married or even receive the visa, but I wanted to know if anyone thought there was any reason why I couldn't get the ball rolling now? Also, I was worried that her signatures on the forms may not be accepted because she is under 18 and I should wait until she turns 18 to get her to fill out the paperwork. It is very difficult to work in Thailand and it is in our best interest to get back to the US ASAP so I want to file the application ASAP.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Is age differences a problem? No!

Is under age a problem? Listen to everyone else here...

Steve (WA,US) & Anne (SH,CN)

P1..............2004/10/04

P2..............2005/01/10

P3..............2005/04/07

P4..............2005/08/02

Interview.....2005/09/19

Married.......2005/10/29

Filed I-485...2005/12/17

RFE submit...2006/02/27

Interview......2006/08/31

Fingerprint....2006/09/07

wel letter......2006/09/19

I-551...........2006/10/02

Share my experiences with you, China-->U.S.

Check out my website : Click here

I am not an attorny, but someone did what you are doing or going to do.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hello all,

Thanks!

I have a different idea. If you can stay in Thailand for 2 years after she turns 18 . . .

Get married on her 18th +1 day birthday, if you can make it work with her parents (Sin Sod and all that other culture you will have to deal with).

After being married for 2 years, apply for a Direct Consular Filing. Although some Consulates do not particularly want to feal with the DCF, many will do a "one off" if you have been married for 2 years.

Just a though, but I will say you have a number of cultural issues to deal with at that age (1/2 my fiance's age)!

You should check what the laws of Thailand are before submitting any paperwork. She should be of legal age in her country before you file any papers. Don't be in such a rush. You are talking about a life time commitment so take your time. She's only 17 and you are only 10 year older. You have a lot of time on your hands. Do it right. The difference in age isn't bad so don't worry about that. But she should be considered an independent adult in her country.

Then file the papers and wait, wait, wait and wait some more.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
second...3 months is not long for them to consider your relationship genuine if you havn't been together for at least two years. once they see she just turned 18 it may raise a little red flag.

I thought one could show proof of the legitimacy of the relationship at the interview stage, regardless of how long they've been in one. Maybe I'm mistaken. I've never heard of the 2-year thing.

Also, the OP wants to file for a K1 and not K3 (although he might consider going for a K3). Either way, the beneficiary has to be old enough for her to be ble to marry according to the laws in her country.

Edited by Mew

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

second...3 months is not long for them to consider your relationship genuine if you havn't been together for at least two years. once they see she just turned 18 it may raise a little red flag.

I thought one could show proof of the legitimacy of the relationship at the interview stage, regardless of how long they've been in one. Maybe I'm mistaken. I've never heard of the 2-year thing.

Also, the OP wants to file for a K1 and not K3 (although he might consider going for a K3). Either way, the beneficiary has to be old enough for her to be ble to marry according to the laws in her country.

Maybe the two year comment has something to do with parental permission, which I believe is needed in Thailand. True, the OP mentioned the K-1. Someone suggested that he marry her and live there for two years and do DCF.

And yes, ultimately the beneficiary has to be old enough to be married...either in her country or by the laws of the petitioner's state. Either way, she still has to be 18.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Yep just follow what others have said... but age difference isn't that big of a problem if you go into it fully aware of the little bumps you'll encounter.. Lucky my fiance is mature for her 30 years and I'm still a kid at 49.. So we meet in the middle... And we are both happier then heck...laugh alot..and chase each other around alot...and more love felt then I can ever remember... Good Luck..

Maybe the two year comment has something to do with parental permission, which I believe is needed in Thailand. True, the OP mentioned the K-1. Someone suggested that he marry her and live there for two years and do DCF.

And yes, ultimately the beneficiary has to be old enough to be married...either in her country or by the laws of the petitioner's state. Either way, she still has to be 18.

9/14 2006 I-129F Sent Next day Air

9/15 Recieved and signed for by "Freeman" at NSC

9/19 NOA1 CSC Recieved

9/25 Notice date Check cashed 9/25

9/28 I Recieved NOA1(I-797C) in the mail

12/5 NOA2 12/6 but Approved on 12/5 touch

12/9 Received NOA2(I-797) by snail mail

12/15 NVC has received it..Case # issued...

12/19 NVC shipped to Romania

12/22 Romanian Embassy has received an email from NVC that my Petition is on it's way...

12/29 Packet 3 sent to Veronica

1/12 2007 Packet 3 received Dang Holidays..

1/22 Sending all paperwork(I-134,Bank/Employer letters etc..,)..to Veronica per DHL, 3.5lbs...$144 WOW!

1/25 Recieved notice that She needs to pick up my packet in Chisinau..

1/26 Sending Back Packet 3

2/16 Transit Visa to go to Romania for the Interview approved..

2/20 Leaves for Bucharest overnight drive by bus...

2/21 Medical

2/22 Interview !!!! APPROVED !!!!!

3/9 2007 Flight to me....

4/7 2007 Married,,,

AOS

7/27 Sent I-485, I-864, I-765

7/30 Chicago Recieved I-485,I-765

Veronica is pregant....Due 4/17/08

9/1 Recieved NOA Bio appointment letter

9/8 Recieved NOA1's for both I-485 and I-765

9/18 Bio appointment

Received Green Card.. Nov 2007

Djuliann came 4/25/2008

I-751 Lifting Of Conditions

9/8/2009 Sent I-751

Received NOA 9/21 NOA Receipt Date 9/10/2009

9/24 received Bio letter Dated 9/18

10/9 Bio Appointment

10/23 Received Permanent Resident Card

N-400 2012

Filed for citizenship sent 2/21/2012

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Yep just follow what others have said... but age difference isn't that big of a problem if you go into it fully aware of the little bumps you'll encounter.. Lucky my fiance is mature for her 30 years and I'm still a kid at 49.. So we meet in the middle... And we are both happier then heck...laugh alot..and chase each other around alot...and more love felt then I can ever remember... Good Luck..

Sounds like me and my husband...we balance each other perfectly. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.