backinthestates

Visa interview London rejected cause of bad i-864

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My I-864 was rejected at my husbands interview cause they said my foreign income doesn't count as income. ARG!!! It states that nowhere on forums nor the usa embassy websites.

So okay... Got my sister to co-sponser and put her income and house up for assets. And sent it straight back 1 week ago. So it's at the embassy now.

So i've already quit my job, given notice in my flat having to be out on my ear in 3 weeks.

My question... is how long will it take to get my husbands greencard so we're not living in the streets of London????

The guy at the embassy said it wasn't a problem, just get us the papers back and we'll have it back in a week. It's been a week. Does anyone have any idea how long this takes??? I'm terrified to be without a home and a job.

Did anyone realise that foreign income doesn't count??? I've lived in London for 10 years.... how would I get usa dollars????

Thanks for any advice!!!

Jennifer

Filed: Timeline

Did you file US taxes?? Sorry you have had this set back... hope you get it sorted out soon... leason here is maybe it was not a good idea to give everything up until you were approved... but I am sure it will work out for you both...

Kezzie

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
'Jmonkey' date='Aug 15 2006, 06:23 AM' post='378524']

how would I get usa dollars????

I know the bank LloydsTsb sell usa currency so im betting that other banks will, you can also go to any travel agents and buy usa currency :)

Timeline

I did do my usa taxes and everything. I had already transferred 17K to the usa but that only counts as an asset which I would need 80K for that. What rubbish!!!

Nowhere have I come across foreign income not able to be used on the usa embassy website. What a rip.

Now I guess I sit and wait and hope for the best!!!

Thanks,

Jennifer

My I-864 was rejected at my husbands interview cause they said my foreign income doesn't count as income. ARG!!! It states that nowhere on forums nor the usa embassy websites.

So okay... Got my sister to co-sponser and put her income and house up for assets. And sent it straight back 1 week ago. So it's at the embassy now.

So i've already quit my job, given notice in my flat having to be out on my ear in 3 weeks.

My question... is how long will it take to get my husbands greencard so we're not living in the streets of London????

The guy at the embassy said it wasn't a problem, just get us the papers back and we'll have it back in a week. It's been a week. Does anyone have any idea how long this takes??? I'm terrified to be without a home and a job.

Did anyone realise that foreign income doesn't count??? I've lived in London for 10 years.... how would I get usa dollars????

Thanks for any advice!!!

Jennifer

Were you employed in the uk ?, what were you supposed to have put, unemployed ?.. if you were working in the UK, did you file a US tax return ?

Timeline

Well.... my income is accepted in my tax returns... but not in the I-864. So I had to redo it leaving my income as 0, although my tax returns state that I made over 60K. It's so retarded.

It was a huge shock to have that rejected. I've done so much research on that form!!!

I've been working in the UK for over 10 years. But thank god I can claim domicile in the usa as I did live in miami the year before last keeping my drivers licence and bank accounts and stuff. If it weren't for that... I would have to move to the usa without my husband to establish domicile.

I don't know how others do it. There's not too much mention of trouble with the I-864.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Well.... my income is accepted in my tax returns... but not in the I-864. So I had to redo it leaving my income as 0, although my tax returns state that I made over 60K. It's so retarded.

It was a huge shock to have that rejected. I've done so much research on that form!!!

I've been working in the UK for over 10 years. But thank god I can claim domicile in the usa as I did live in miami the year before last keeping my drivers licence and bank accounts and stuff. If it weren't for that... I would have to move to the usa without my husband to establish domicile.

I don't know how others do it. There's not too much mention of trouble with the I-864.

Thanks,

Jennifer

So should you have selected "Unemployed" ?... and what should you put as your "unemployed Since" date ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Did anyone realise that foreign income doesn't count???

I've lived in London for 10 years.... how would I get usa dollars????

Thanks for any advice!!!

Jennifer

Foreign income does count.

You would need evidence, you do not mention what the income is, dividends/interest? Would they not accept the capital instead of income, I know some people have had problems in this area.

Easy to get US Dollars, any Bank will arrange a transfer to a US account, plus of course London is full of Exchange Bureaus.

But with a large sum you need to make sure you get the best rate.

Thanks,

Jennifer

So should you have selected "Unemployed" ?... and what should you put as your "unemployed Since" date ?

You put in the details relevant to when you completed the form.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Jennifer,

Exactly - that's why your foreign-earned income, if it will end when you return to the USA, does not count. Your affidavit of support needs to show that you can support your husband after he enters the USA as an immigrant, not that you have been able to support him up till now.

Yodrak

Thanks for any advice!!!

Jennifer

Edited by Yodrak

Timeline
Jennifer,

Exactly - that's why your foreign-earned income, if it will end when you return to the USA, does not count. Your affidavit of support needs to show that you can support your husband after he enters the USA as an immigrant, not that you have been able to support him up till now.

Yodrak

Thanks for any advice!!!

Jennifer

The way it read was that she was refering to something other than earnings, she has no current job.

I have seen people who have had problems in this situation with capital, but not income from the capital, assuming it is in the USC's name.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Boiler,

My impression from reading the original post was that Jennifer had quit her job (and had given notice of vacating her flat) in anticipation that the visa application would be approved following the interview. Now she has concern that if the visa is not approved quickly after the Joint Sponsor's affidavit is presented she's out both an income and a place to live.

If the income was from investments it would be unusual I think that such income could not be easily transferred to the USA and thus would 'count'.

You may be right, though. Perhaps Jennifer will clarify.

Yodrak

Jennifer,

Yodrak

Thanks for any advice!!!

Jennifer

The way it read was that she was refering to something other than earnings, she has no current job.

I have seen people who have had problems in this situation with capital, but not income from the capital, assuming it is in the USC's name.

It could take one month to receive the green card packet after you send the new Affidavit of Support

Foreign income does not qualify as affidavit of support. Your domicile will change and your job will change as you leave UK to come to US. So this basically means you need a job in US.

Timeline
It could take one month to receive the green card packet after you send the new Affidavit of Support

Foreign income does not qualify as affidavit of support. Your domicile will change and your job will change as you leave UK to come to US. So this basically means you need a job in US.

Foreign income can count, I used it.

But if she was talking about her job, which she quit, then that she obviously can not count something she does not or will not have.

She could count it if for example she kept her job and would continue working but in the US.

Timeline

a month???? A bloody month????

I'm an american, and if they don't want my husband... then i'll spend the rest of my life paying huge taxes in another country. Their bloody loss!!

They also just lost my tax returns. ARG!!!! So I have to send them in new. Do they do that so I'll have to use their expensive courier service.

I'm ###### off with America now and not sure it's the place for me anymore.

Thanks for hearing out my boohoos,

Jennifer

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
a month???? A bloody month????

I'm an american, and if they don't want my husband... then i'll spend the rest of my life paying huge taxes in another country. Their bloody loss!!

They also just lost my tax returns. ARG!!!! So I have to send them in new. Do they do that so I'll have to use their expensive courier service.

I'm ###### off with America now and not sure it's the place for me anymore.

Thanks for hearing out my boohoos,

Jennifer

Wow, how typically American, actually. :)

Have to wait a month due to my own error = the US doesn't want my husband so I won't come back!

PS: US citizens have a lifelong burden to report their worldwide income & pay taxes if owed. If you stay under the treaty income threshold, you're not using US resources anyway, so we don't miss your tax revenue.

PPS: you should be able to fax them copies of the tax transcripts.

PPPS: keep your eye on the prize; this is just a little glitch. :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.