waiting4Oliverio

Language Barrier

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I have a quick question...like always :D

My fiance does not know any English...only Spanish.......I understand Spanish if it's spoken to me slowly and even then he has to go into depth to explain some things to me. We have no problem communitcating at all! But my question is.......will I have to have proof that I can fluently speak Spanish or is that a given?

If they want proof....would anyone know what kind?

Thank you!

2010-02-08 Filed I-130 through Ca. Service center

2010-13-08 NOA 1 Received

2010-02-11 I-130 transferred to Tx. Service Center

2010-24-11 Notified by email TSC has received our petition and has begun processing it

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

If you get a hard*** interview officer it may be used against you. There are several cases where the language barrier was used as proof "against" the relationship being valid. Unless this is the case for you, I doubt it will be a problem.

Maybe you could try to use the time that the K-1 will be processed to learn Spanish, if you haven't started learning already? :)

8/10/08:

---seperated---

K-1 highlights (more details in profile):

11/24/06: NOA1 (Day 3)

12/19/06: NOA2 (Day 28)

2/28/07: Interview: approved! (Day 99)

4/15/07: Married, in a noreaster (Day 146)

AOS highlights (more details in profile, too):

6/20/07: AOS, EAD, and AP mailed

6/26/07: NOA1 (Day 6)

7/14/07: Biometrics (Day 24)

7/23/07: Recieved AOS RFE (dated 7/17) for W-2s, mailed them out the next day (Day 33)

7/27/07: RFE response received, processing resumed (Day 37)

8/14/07: AOS transferred to CSC (Day 45)

8/21/07: CSC received/is processing AOS (Day 52)

8/29/07: Welcome notice mailed! (Day 60)

8/31/07: Card production ordered! (Day 62)

9/11/07: Greencard in hand! (Day 73)

Note to self: lifting of conditions: May 25th, 2009

Filed: Timeline

waiting_4_tragedy,

If a consular officer finds reasons to suspect that a relationship is not bona fide, but is being used for immigration purposes, then the limited ability to communicate due to lack of a common language is a relatively easy angle for a consular officer to work.

Recognize that the consular officer is an outsider looking in on the relationship, and realizes while a USC may be able to understand what their alien fianc(e) wants them to be able to understand a language barrier more easily allows an alien to hide from the USC things that they do not want the USC to understand.

Yodrak

I have a quick question...like always

My fiance does not know any English...only Spanish.......I understand Spanish if it's spoken to me slowly and even then he has to go into depth to explain some things to me. We have no problem communitcating at all! But my question is.......will I have to have proof that I can fluently speak Spanish or is that a given?

Thank you!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

My fiance is in the US now, he did not speak any English at first but he is learning quickly and is using it. I talk to him in English and so does the family, especially the kids. I'm really proud of him for trying, even though sometimes people ask him to repeat he is usually understood.

When we had our interview at the consulate the officer spoke mostly Spanish, he asked to interview me and started the interview in Spanish, I asked him if we could do it in English because I was more comfortable in English and he said it did not matter to him.

At the interview in Juarez, they usually only interview the immigrant, since only the immigrant is allowed in. If the officer would like to talk to the petitioner a permit has to be written to let the petitioner in to the consulate. The petitioner does not have to be there. In most cases they only interview the immigrant because there is not enough room inside the consulate for the spouses and fiances. When he is able to come in to the states you will find that he will learn some more English and by the time you have your AOS interview you will be able to prove you can communicate with each other.

When I first met him I spoke very little Spanish but now I can speak fluently, all my trips to Mexico have helped.

There was never an issue of how we were able to communicate, at first we didn't very well but now we can in either language. Most of the interviewers in CDJ will conduct the interview in Spanish. I think it will be more of an issue at the AOS interview, since it will be conducted in English. I think he will do ok. Send your fiance some printouts or books on learning some basic English. My fiance bought a book in Mexico that helped him, he says that when he was bored or would be missing me, he would study the book because he wanted to be ready to come to the U.S!!

Edited by noviademexicano

K-1

09/14/05 sent in petition

12/20/05 case at CDJ

1/09/06 Had interview and placed on Administrative Processing/221(g) for 6 months.

07/06/06 Interview, Successful!!!

07/06/06 Fiance receives Visa and enters U.S.!

09/02/06 Wedding Day!

AOS

12/09/06 Mailed AOS package.

12/11/06 USCIS receives AOS package

12/14/06 NOA1

12/26/06 Rec'd Bio Letter

12/28/06 Rec'd email: Transferred to CSC!!!

12/31/06 *Touched*

01/02/07 Original Biometrics appt. (postponed)

01/05/07 Rec'd email: Case pending at CSC

01/08/07 Infopass for Biometrics *Touched*

01/09/07 Rec'd email Case transferred to CSC(again)

01/15/07 *Touched*

01/17/07 Received email case pending at CSC(again)

01/18/07 *Touched*

01/20/07 *Touched*

06/27/07 Letter welcoming new resident mailed!

07/02/07 Recv'd 2 yr conditional GC!

EAD

02/28/07 efiled

03/01/07 Rec'd at CSC, NOA1

03/01/07 mailed supporting documents to CSC

03/02/07 pending at CSC

03/05/07 Rec'd Bio Letter

03/13/07 *Touched*

03/16/07 Bio Appt. *Touched*

03/17/07 *Touched*

03/20/07 Rec'd approval email

03/23/07 EAD received!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Why don't you check at our local community college for some easy Spanish classes. I am engaged to a Columbian lady and have taken two classes. They are cheap and I have included the completition certificates in with my paperwork. I would also think you would want to know the language of your fiancee as she would yours. Communication is the foundation of a relationship.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline

I notice on your profile it says you talk to your fiance' at least twice a week. I think that if you could talk more frequently on the phone (i.e. 20 mins a day) your Spanish would become VERY strong in like a month. I'm sure there are lots of calling cards/computer phone chat programs with good rates to Mexico :thumbs:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I have no idea what the procedures are in Ciudad Juarez. I remember reading about a case going through Vietnam though. The petitioner was asked to send a video of him/her speaking in Vietnamese. I don't remember all the details, but it was a complicated case and that's why they asked for the video.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline
I have no idea what the procedures are in Ciudad Juarez. I remember reading about a case going through Vietnam though. The petitioner was asked to send a video of him/her speaking in Vietnamese. I don't remember all the details, but it was a complicated case and that's why they asked for the video.

Right - that case was complicated because the consulate suspected marriage fraud. Normally, as the all-knowing Yodrak indicated, If a consular officer finds reasons to suspect that a relationship is not bona fide, but is being used for immigration purposes, then the limited ability to communicate due to lack of a common language is a relatively easy angle for a consular officer to work.

Will it happen in CDJ - who knows? Best to use this time to study the language so you'll be able to communicate clearly from now on. Speaking from personal experience, misunderstands due to language barriers can cause a lot of relationships problems!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Latvia
Timeline

Thank you!

What you worry about?

My case is more funny. :yes:

I am from Latvia, but Warsaw (Poland) embassy says - you wont have problems in interview- our stuff talks in english and russian, and polish. :wacko:

Thanks God I know both english and russian, even if my mother language is latvian. :P

But what do these who dont know? No chances!

07/29/2006 – I-129 sent to Vermont

08/04/2006 - NOA1

08/28/2006 - NOA2 - approved

09/01/2006 - NVC - approved

09/07/2006 - Warsaw embassy sent packet 3 (damn post services, never received any)

09/18/2006 - packet 3 sent (Nothing fails)

09/27 - received packet 4

10/10 - medical exam

10/19 - INTERVIEW!

10/20 - received visa

11/7 - arrived in USA, POE YFK

1/19 - Married

02/23/2007 - Civil Surgeon (checked just vaccines for $ 25)

05/04/2007 - AOS package sent to Chicago

05/11/2007 - NOA1

05/15/2007 - NOA2 - ASC appointment letter about biometrics

05/24/2007 - RFE about tax forms w-2 and 1099!!!

06/05/2007 - Biometrics

21/06/2007 - NOA3 - Transfered to California

10/07/2007 - AOS approved, card production ordered!!!

19/07/2007 - Half year marriage anniversary - GC arrives!!!

07/08/2009 - Package sent (My cover letter 40 peaces of evidence)

07/14/2009 - check was cashed

07/10/2009 - NOA 1 received, GK extended for a year

07/17/2009 - received biometrics letter with my case number

08/06/2009 - scheduled biometrics appointment

11/16/2009 - approval

12/01/2009 - touched - card production ordered

2/26/2010 - got ten year card

No more departures!!!

No more typing!!!

Ne mirkli Tu neesi atstājis manas domas,

Tā, ka manas domas aizmirsa pat aizmirstību.

Mīļotais ir ienācis manā teltī,

Un mana sirds ir mulsas pārņemta.

Timeline

Thank you!

What you worry about?

I am from Latvia, but Warsaw (Poland) embassy says - you wont have problems in interview- our stuff talks in english and russian, and polish. :wacko:

Thanks God I know both english and russian, even if my mother language is latvian. :P

The problem is not only the inability of the beneficiary to have the interview in English (I don't know how other consulates work, but in Brazil you can choose to have it in English or Portuguese). I guess the issue here is that the beneficiary and the petitioner should share a common language they can communicate in. If one of them only speaks Spanish and the other only speaks English, the conof might suspect the relationship is not legit.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline
I guess the issue here is that the beneficiary and the petitioner should share a common language they can communicate in. If one of them only speaks Spanish and the other only speaks English, the conof might suspect the relationship is not legit.

I think that's the most important thing to the OP. In CDJ they can interview the fiance in Spanish - they don't even require documents in Spanish to be translated. But if one doesn't speak the other's language, it could definitely raise the issue of lack of common language = not bona fide relationship. CDJ is notarious for making up reasons for why they cannot issue visas (note to Yodrak: no, I do not have personal experience but I have read many many many postings on I2US to this effect so please do not force me to substantiate) so best to study up now and be prepared.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Latvia
Timeline

What you worry about?

The problem is not only the inability of the beneficiary to have the interview in English (I don't know how other consulates work, but in Brazil you can choose to have it in English or Portuguese). I guess the issue here is that the beneficiary and the petitioner should share a common language they can communicate in. If one of them only speaks Spanish and the other only speaks English, the conof might suspect the relationship is not legit.

Ok, ok, but why they offer me russian and polish? And its for all who is from Latvia, Lithounia and Belarus. This shows only their luck of knowledges, non respect and saving money for their embassy stuff. Seems they do not know Europe and never looked in map.

And I am sort of worried, because just to communicate is one case, but to have interview in other language is absolutely different. :o

07/29/2006 – I-129 sent to Vermont

08/04/2006 - NOA1

08/28/2006 - NOA2 - approved

09/01/2006 - NVC - approved

09/07/2006 - Warsaw embassy sent packet 3 (damn post services, never received any)

09/18/2006 - packet 3 sent (Nothing fails)

09/27 - received packet 4

10/10 - medical exam

10/19 - INTERVIEW!

10/20 - received visa

11/7 - arrived in USA, POE YFK

1/19 - Married

02/23/2007 - Civil Surgeon (checked just vaccines for $ 25)

05/04/2007 - AOS package sent to Chicago

05/11/2007 - NOA1

05/15/2007 - NOA2 - ASC appointment letter about biometrics

05/24/2007 - RFE about tax forms w-2 and 1099!!!

06/05/2007 - Biometrics

21/06/2007 - NOA3 - Transfered to California

10/07/2007 - AOS approved, card production ordered!!!

19/07/2007 - Half year marriage anniversary - GC arrives!!!

07/08/2009 - Package sent (My cover letter 40 peaces of evidence)

07/14/2009 - check was cashed

07/10/2009 - NOA 1 received, GK extended for a year

07/17/2009 - received biometrics letter with my case number

08/06/2009 - scheduled biometrics appointment

11/16/2009 - approval

12/01/2009 - touched - card production ordered

2/26/2010 - got ten year card

No more departures!!!

No more typing!!!

Ne mirkli Tu neesi atstājis manas domas,

Tā, ka manas domas aizmirsa pat aizmirstību.

Mīļotais ir ienācis manā teltī,

Un mana sirds ir mulsas pārņemta.

Timeline
Ok, ok, but why they offer me russian and polish? And its for all who is from Latvia, Lithounia and Belarus. This shows only their luck of knowledges, non respect and saving money for their embassy stuff. Seems they do not know Europe and never looked in map.

And I am sort of worried, because just to communicate is one case, but to have interview in other language is absolutely different. :o

Do you have the option to have it in English?

Timeline (incompleta)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.