TucsonBill

To those of you griping about IMBRA

81 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I know a lot of you have had ridiculously long waits and delays because of IMBRA, and I have a short story for you:

I know a person through a business associate, (he is NOT my friend, in fact I loath his behavior), who has been abusing the I-129f petition for years. He has brought several women to the USA for the 90 day period, used them, and sent them away packing before the 90 days was up. He brags about all the women he's 'had' from all over the world.

I can most certainly sympathize with those of you who have had to wait so long, and I also think it must be he|| to have to see people who applied AFTER you getting approvals BEFORE you, (I'd be pis**d as he|| to!). The USCIS should be focusing in the older cases before working on the newer ones.

At the same time, I am extremely happy that what this SOB has been doing will no longer be permitted. At the very least, if he is ever permitted to bring anyone else here again, they are going to be informed how many he's done this to in the past, if i understand the new law correctly.

Bill

I-129f Journey:

2006-07-17 I-129F sent to CSC

2006-07-24 NOA1 (received)

2006-10-05 RFE (received)

2006-10-06 RFE (returned to CSC)

2006-10-23 NOA2

2007-01-29 Visa Approved!

2007-02-17 Ceremony in Thailand

2007-02-21 POE LAX - Fiance and her daughter enter the USA together, Easy-Peasy!

2007-03-05 Wedding in USA

AOS Journey:

2007-06-07 AOS for spouse and daughter sent

2007-06-16 NOA's arrive, (issued on the 13th)

2007-07-05 Biometrics

2007-07-13 Received RFE (Mailed on July 3rd)

2007-08-06 Returned RFE

2007-10-16 Interview date

2007-10-27 Green Cards Received!

ROC (I-751) Journey:

2009-07-24 Joint I-751 for spouse and daughter sent

2009-08-03 Received NOA1 dated 7/27/09

2009-08-03 Received Receipt and one year extension for wife

2009-08-03 Received "Verification Of Incusion Of A Dependent" for step-daughter

2009-08-27 Biometrics

2009-11-13 Green Cards Received

Citizenship Journey:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

That is a terrible thing to do to anybody. He must be an idiot. There are plenty of women in this country with their legs wide open, why bother petitioning and temporarily destroying someones life?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

can I take him out back and teach him a lesson. That is unbelievable, untolorable....i just hope that karma comes back on him one day

3/11/06 - 3/26/06 Visited my baby in the PI's

3/29/06 - K1 packet recieved at NSC

6/01/06 - Redirected to CSC

6/14/06 - CSC e-mailed confirmation on the reciept of file

6/23/06 - They they sent the IMBRA RFE

7/03/06 - The emailed that the IMBRA RFE went out on 6/23/06

7/03/06 - I received IMBRA RFE

7/05/06 - Touched

7/06/06 - Delivery Confirmation from the Post Office RFE recieved

7/11/06 - Email notification from CSC that IMBRA RFE Recieved

7/12/06 - Touched (but was to respond to an email that only said 'request recieved and will be processed within 30 days. argh)

7/13/06 - Touched

NOA2 September 11!!!

10/18/06 - Received at Embassy

12/23/06 - Recieved package with interview/medical schedule

01/08/06 - CFO interview/(pre-departure class) Complete

1/11/07 & 1/12/07 Medical complete

02/05/07 - Interview!!!

2/7/07 (2/8/07 manila) - Informed we are approved...3 days after interview.

2/12/07 Visa Received

2/16/07 Baby arrives in US!!!!!

4/14/07 Wedding

4/21/07 Filed AOS

That is a terrible thing to do to anybody. He must be an idiot. There are plenty of women in this country with their legs wide open, why bother petitioning and temporarily destroying someones life?

Must be a control thing... he'd have to answer for his behavior if he did that to women here. This way, he sends them off and moves on to the next one, relatively anonymously.

One could only hope that he gets his reward.... like a few untreatable STDs that make his life so miserable, he can't continue the behavior (or pass it along)...

We've had many a debate about the reasonability of IMBRA... there have been some opposed to its concept. but from what I read, most seemed more frustrated about the way it was implemented, not about the legislation itself....

Jen

Edited by JenT

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Must be a control thing... he'd have to answer for his behavior if he did that to women here. This way, he sends them off and moves on to the next one, relatively anonymously.

One you only hope that he gets his reward.... like a few untreatable STDs that make his life so miserable, he can't continue the behavior (or pass it along)...

We've had many a debate about the reasonability of IMBRA... there have been some opposed to its concept. but from what I read, most seemed more frustrated about the way it was implemented, not about the legislation itself....

Jen

He is one of the reasons why IMBRA was enacted in the first place. As Jen said most of us agree with it in concept and why it was enacted, it was just the implementation of it that really was absurd. Not the fault of the law but of the people within USCIS that havent handled it well at all.

June 05 Lisa and I fall in love

15 Mar 06 I-129F received at CSC NOA1

5 Aug 06 NOA2 after 143 days in CSC purgatory

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

16 Feb 07 Denial Letter received

12 Mar 07 Motion to reconsider submitted

10 Sep 07 Motion to Reconsider denied

9 May 08 Lisa and Married in United Kingdom

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

May 7 09 Lisa's Interview I 601 filed

29 Jul 09 I-601 waiver approved

18 Aug 09 Passport to London Embassy

20 Aug 09 Tickets purchased for 10 Sep 09

WE HAVE FINALLY WON, OUR LONG AND HARD JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

One you only hope that he gets his reward.... like a few untreatable STDs that make his life so miserable, he can't continue the behavior (or pass it along)...

Jen

Yes.. I have no problem with IMBRA, but I do have a problem with how the government waited and let cases go, and then went back and said "oooops... we messed up so screw your plans and your interviews." It could've well been avoided.

Timeline

If I cant get my baby over here because she is my second petition (the first cheated...also never made it to the interview)..maybe I will look up your 'friend' since people like him helped create this inclusion in the law

7/05/06 - Touched

7/12/06 - Touched (but was to respond to an email that only said 'request recieved and will be processed within 30 days. argh)

7/13/06 - Touched

NOA2 September 11!!!

02/05/07 - Interview!!!

2/12/07 Visa Received

4/14/07 Wedding

4/21/07 Filed AOS

I'm a firm believer in kharma. What goes around comes around. ;) Like a lot of laws it ain't all good and it ain't all bad. The lack of implementation is what has got everybody here upset for the most part.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Filed: IR-2 Country: China
Timeline

It does not apply to me, and I hope it never does, but do you need the waiver on your third K1 application or your second, regardless of the 2 year limit. Jay

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Guangzhou, China

I-129F Sent : 2006-06-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-06-27

I-129F RFE(s) : 2006-07-06

RFE Reply(s) : 2006-07-31

NOA2: 2006-10-21

NVC left: 2006-11-23

P3 from Guangzhou-2007-1-22

P3 returned 2007-2-28

P4 03/02/07

Interview 04/17/07

Interview Passed K1 awarded

Timeline
It does not apply to me, and I hope it never does, but do you need the waiver on your third K1 application or your second, regardless of the 2 year limit. Jay

Within the 2 years, it is the second one..outside of that, I am unclear.

7/05/06 - Touched

7/13/06 - Touched

NOA2 September 11!!!

02/05/07 - Interview!!!

2/12/07 Visa Received

4/14/07 Wedding

4/21/07 Filed AOS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

i'm going to be bluntly honest about the original poster.

Too bad.

you have demonstrated one malicious individual who abuses a system, that individual has not been punished.

tens of thousands of honest people who try to do it the right way are being punished because of one bad apple.

That is what we have fallen to as a society but it's not acceptable, you cannot punish everyone for the acts of an individual and you cannot punish everyone to try to protect one or two random people from doing something stupid. That last part is a direct reference to the high profile case that inspired this law.

The change is immoral, the way this country sometimes over reacts with far reaching consequences to honest citizens trying to make their way in the world and do things the right way is also totally wrong.

bad things sometimes happen to good people for no reason and the government has no business trying to legislate their protection.

Filed: Other Timeline

Too bad.

you have demonstrated one malicious individual who abuses a system, that individual has not been punished.

tens of thousands of honest people who try to do it the right way are being punished because of one bad apple.

That is what we have fallen to as a society but it's not acceptable, you cannot punish everyone for the acts of an individual and you cannot punish everyone to try to protect one or two random people from doing something stupid. That last part is a direct reference to the high profile case that inspired this law.

The change is immoral, the way this country sometimes over reacts with far reaching consequences to honest citizens trying to make their way in the world and do things the right way is also totally wrong.

bad things sometimes happen to good people for no reason and the government has no business trying to legislate their protection.

It is not punishing everyone for the sake of one individual. Think of how many other people may be doing this also. This is only one story and although it's not ideal for people to have to wait longer to bring their loved-ones to the U.S, hopefully is stop aholes like this from continuing to use and abuse the system.

You may not like it, but if the shoe were on the other foot and your daughter was going to marry a man in a foreign country, wouldn't you like to make sure that there was a sfety net in place so this kind of thing doesn't happen??

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Too bad.

Wow, what an incredibly short-sighted viewpoint. I suppose since Murder only occurs to 1 out of 15000 people each year, that the government should just get rid of the laws prohibiting that too? How about Drunk Driving? Robbery? The list goes on and on. If there is one isolated event...no law is needed...I agree. But you have to look at the scale of the number of events, and the impact those events has on people's lives. The circumstances the OP listed are not isolated events...but rather a single sampling in a large number of documented abuses of the prior system. The girls that the "business associate" used got off lucky...many of them wind up physically abused before being kicked to the curb. Being sent back to their home country, often without a pot to piss in, is considered a fantastic outcome compared to how many of them wound up. I'm sorry that adding a measure of "complete disclosure" in order to protect foreign nationals who are literally putting their lives into the hands of these USC's upsets you. But the way I see it...if it's good enough for the Real Estate industry, then it should be good enough for immigration.

It sucks that the USCIS has dropped the ball on implementing the program (DHS failing at something? Surprise Surprise)....but the rationale behind the legislation is both sound and over-due.

Edited by gcox457

Kseniya (Ukraine) and Gary (USA)

05-27-2005 I-129F package arrives at TSC signed for by "M.S."

...A bunch of waiting and worrying...

10-14-2005 Passport with K-1 Visa delivered

02-14-2006 Everyone is home!

03-04-2006 Wedding date!

07-25-2006 AOS/AP package FINALLY completed and sent

08-04-2006 AOS/AP NOA's received

11-06-2006 Interview Successful!

11-13-2006 Welcome to America letter received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.