DeathKnell

Will my I-129F (K1 and K2s) be rejected

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I became a citizen in March 2006 (3 year rule to get citizenship), but my spouse and I dont get along now. She wants a divorce.

If we divorce immediately we are eligible and then I go back to Singapore and get someone I knew before(who has kids), will that be approved or will they try to get back my citizenship?

Edited by DeathKnell

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
I became a citizen in March 2006 (3 year rule to get citizenship), but my spouse and I dont get along now. She wants a divorce.

If we divorce immediately we are eligible and then I go back to Singapore and get someone I knew before(who has kids), will that be approved or will they try to get back my citizenship?

So, have you always had feelings and I assume maintained contact with this person in singapore throughout your 3 year marriage to a US citizen while awaiting your citizenship?

*Met Online 3/11/05

*Met in person 3/11/06

*NOA1 5/1/06

*Imbra RFE received by CSC 7/18/06

*NOA2 8/10/06

*9/28/06 Packet Received

*10/11/06 Interview Success

No. This is a consideration at this point. I am trying to see how that would go if it came to it.

So, have you always had feelings and I assume maintained contact with this person in singapore throughout your 3 year marriage to a US citizen while awaiting your citizenship?

what do you mean by 'red flag'? Is the effect on the citizenship or on the rejection of the I-129F?

A divorce followed by a quick plunge into matrimony is a red flag.
Edited by DeathKnell

what do you mean by 'red flag'? Is the effect on the citizenship or on the rejection of the I-129F?

They will heavily scrutinize your motives and closely scrutinize your I-129F petition.

I thought all citizens are equal. I think I will drop the idea of getting this girl, maybe I can look for someone here in the US. Tough luck.

They will heavily scrutinize your motives and closely scrutinize your I-129F petition.

I'm confused. You're a US citizen and now your wife wants a divorce, I understand that part. I don't understand the rest though, I'm sorry, could you try to explain it for me?

8/10/08:

---seperated---

K-1 highlights (more details in profile):

11/24/06: NOA1 (Day 3)

12/19/06: NOA2 (Day 28)

2/28/07: Interview: approved! (Day 99)

4/15/07: Married, in a noreaster (Day 146)

AOS highlights (more details in profile, too):

6/20/07: AOS, EAD, and AP mailed

6/26/07: NOA1 (Day 6)

7/14/07: Biometrics (Day 24)

7/23/07: Recieved AOS RFE (dated 7/17) for W-2s, mailed them out the next day (Day 33)

7/27/07: RFE response received, processing resumed (Day 37)

8/14/07: AOS transferred to CSC (Day 45)

8/21/07: CSC received/is processing AOS (Day 52)

8/29/07: Welcome notice mailed! (Day 60)

8/31/07: Card production ordered! (Day 62)

9/11/07: Greencard in hand! (Day 73)

Note to self: lifting of conditions: May 25th, 2009

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

They can't "take back" your citizenship.....unless you renounce it or otherwise take action as detailed here:

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_778.html

That being said, your chances of a successful I-129F and subsequent K-1 are probably pretty low if you divorce and file for a fiance visa soon thereafter unless there is a *lot* of evidence supporting a valid relationship with intent to marry. You might have better chances of success by marrying first, and going the K-3 route instead if that is your intended path. At least with that, you don't have to prove your intent to marry...although the foreign national will still need to be convincing that the goal is not simply U.S. Citizenship. Considering your particular situation (divorce soon after being granted citizenship), it might be an uphill battle depending on who is reviewing your case.

Kseniya (Ukraine) and Gary (USA)

05-27-2005 I-129F package arrives at TSC signed for by "M.S."

...A bunch of waiting and worrying...

10-14-2005 Passport with K-1 Visa delivered

02-14-2006 Everyone is home!

03-04-2006 Wedding date!

07-25-2006 AOS/AP package FINALLY completed and sent

08-04-2006 AOS/AP NOA's received

11-06-2006 Interview Successful!

11-13-2006 Welcome to America letter received

Whoa, hold on now....You can just drop this person, because the USCIS will scrutinize the fact that you are seeking a Fiance visa right behind citizenship?

No one said denial, the word was Scrutiny.

You need to deeply reevaluate the meaning of love, companionship and marriage.

I thought all citizens are equal. I think I will drop the idea of getting this girl, maybe I can look for someone here in the US. Tough luck.

Edited by William33

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you have been granted US Citizenship, why do you need to return back to Signapore?

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Maybe because its easier when you have known someone for long, than start from scratch? The older you become, the harder it is to start all over. Am in 40s, and starting all over seems a nightmare at this point.

If you have been granted US Citizenship, why do you need to return back to Signapore?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Whoa, hold on now....You can just drop this person, because the USCIS will scrutinize the fact that you are seeking a Fiance visa right behind citizenship?

:thumbs:

Love is what you understand it to be. I guess am going for companionship...

:thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Maybe because its easier when you have known someone for long, than start from scratch? The older you become, the harder it is to start all over. Am in 40s, and starting all over seems a nightmare at this point.

So you would like to get divorced from your current spouse and bring someone else over from Singapore on a K1 Visa?

Once you are legally allowed to marry (divorced) you are allowed to apply for the K1 Visa.

Sadly, the first 2 are not requirements for a K Visa.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.