QAtester

CR1 question, special case.

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all

New member here. I want to start by thanking everyone for sharing their experiences as this has been a tremendous help for me in getting my initial I-130 paperwork sent to USCIS.

I would like to ask a question. If all goes as planned I assume that my wife (non resident alien) will have her interview for the CR1 visa prior to us actually holding a wedding. The culture in Saudi Arabia which we both originally from preforms weddings in this order, the legal part is taken care of at the court house which makes the couple legally wedded, immediately after that the families hold an engagement party which starts an engagement period then months later the wedding is held and after that point the consummation of marriage occurs. Please note that after the legal part is done the couple is legally considered married and in fact if the couple would to split up then they would go through a divorce procedure as would any other married couple.

My questions are.

1- Do you see anyway that I will have an issue at the interview level that the wedding party did not yet happen, I only had the legal court document that shows us as legally married and we held and engagement party at which we took plenty of photos?

2- Do you recommend that I attend my wife's CR1 interview? do you think that would make a difference for my interview? is there any advantage to the petitioner to be there vs, not being there?

please let me know if you have applied for the CR-1 visa under similar circumstances. I would really like to hear your thoughts.

Thank you all again and good luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

New Beginnings is right - they may very well ask if the marriage has been consummated. I have heard of CO's asking such questions and much more probing quesitons before!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You get married legally but don't consummate the marriage for months until the wedding party? I have never heard of this custom before. How can you have an engagement period after the legal part? Weird. I would assume that if this is the custom there the consulate would know, but I have read where the marriage has to be consummated for the immigration process.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
You get married legally but don't consummate the marriage for months until the wedding party? I have never heard of this custom before. How can you have an engagement period after the legal part? Weird. I would assume that if this is the custom there the consulate would know, but I have read where the marriage has to be consummated for the immigration process.

It's actually quite common, even in Morocco :)

This happened with my sister in law in Morocco, she got engaged to someone, the papers were filed with the court but they don't consider themselves married until the ceremony and the adoul and such. When she and her fiance broke up she actually had to go to court and divorce him, well technically it was an annulement since it was never consummated.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
It's actually quite common, even in Morocco :)

This happened with my sister in law in Morocco, she got engaged to someone, the papers were filed with the court but they don't consider themselves married until the ceremony and the adoul and such. When she and her fiance broke up she actually had to go to court and divorce him, well technically it was an annulement since it was never consummated.

Interesting. So if it is filed with the courts, but has not gone in front of the adoul, do they have an actual marriage certificate to submit with the I-130?

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Timeline
Interesting. So if it is filed with the courts, but has not gone in front of the adoul, do they have an actual marriage certificate to submit with the I-130?

Nope, the marriage certificates come from the Adoul's offices. At least in Morocco

Edited by New Beginnings

Timeline

Salam, you don't have to worry, the same happened to me, i got married at the court and got a small engagement party without consuming the marriage, at the interview i just told them that i had a small party because we didn't have time to plan for something bigger and there was no problem, the CO didn't ask me if we consumed our marriage or not....i had my wedding party 2 months after i got my visa ...best of luck

[size="2"][font="Arial"][size="1"][u][b][color="#800080"][i]Naturalization Journey[/i][/color][/b][/u][i]
[color="#800080"]05/05/2012: N-400 sent [/color][color="#800080"]05/07/2012: USCIS received package
05/08/2012: Priority date
05/10/2012: NOA date
05/11/2012: Electronic notification from USCIS / Check cashed
05/14/2012: NOA received
05/23/2012: Biometrics notice received
06/08/2012: Early Biometrics (appointment scheduled for 06/14)
07/03/2012: [/color][color="#800080"]Electronic notification:[/color][color="#800080"]placed in line for interview scheduling
07/05/2012:[/color][/i][/size][/font][i][font="Arial"][size="1"][color="#800080"] Electronic notification: [/color][/size][/font][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][color="#800080"][font="Arial"][size="1"]scheduled for interview
07/09/2012: Interview notice received
08/13/2012: Interview
[/size][/font][/color][/font][/i][/size][i][size="2"][font="Arial"][size="1"][color="#800080"]08/27/2012: [/color][color="#800080"]Electronic notification:[/color][color="#800080"]placed in line for oath scheduling[/color][/size][/font][/size]
[size="2"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][color="#800080"][font="Arial"][size="1"]08/29/2012: Oath notice recei[size="1"]ved [/size][/size][/font][/color][/font][/size][size="1"][color="#800080"]( no status update )
09/11/2012: Oath ceremony
[/color][/size]
[/i] [i] [/i] [i] [/i][size="2"][i] [/i][/size]

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
My questions are.

1- Do you see anyway that I will have an issue at the interview level that the wedding party did not yet happen, I only had the legal court document that shows us as legally married and we held and engagement party at which we took plenty of photos?

2- Do you recommend that I attend my wife's CR1 interview? do you think that would make a difference for my interview? is there any advantage to the petitioner to be there vs, not being there?

Answers:

1. They are very well aware of the cultural norms of the country...as a matter of fact many MENA countries have this custom. You are legally married.....even though they call it engaged in social circles in your and many MENA countries...you are legally married. As you are legally married, the United States recognizes this marriage....BUT you can only be married to one person under US law, while in some Arabic countries you can married to more than one legally..the US will not recognize these types and if I am not mistaken will consider only the first your legal wife. You should refer to your SO as you wife to any US government official....only in your country do the social norms obligate you to refer to her as your "fiancee".

2. If you can afford to be there then I would go. I would check with the consulate to determine if you can accually escourt her into the consulate. I think you being there to clarify any issues the pop up is paramount. Especially if you are well versed in the immigration laws and your petition and can elaborate on any questions/issues. I think the CO seeing you in person/or knowing you are in-country with your wife is a huge plus.

"Haters are confused admirers, they can’t be or figure you out so negativity comes out [their] mouth.”

-Chad Ochocinco "85" - WR Cincinnati Bengals

Timeline
Salam, you don't have to worry, the same happened to me, i got married at the court and got a small engagement party without consuming the marriage, at the interview i just told them that i had a small party because we didn't have time to plan for something bigger and there was no problem, the CO didn't ask me if we consumed our marriage or not....i had my wedding party 2 months after i got my visa ...best of luck

You may have gotten lucky they didn't ask. I have heard of several others where they asked this and they also asked many more personal questions. Something to be very aware of.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

As an aside, there is no separation of "mosque" and state in most (all?) islamic countries. The Sharia court presides over Islamic marriages...which involve legally binding marriage countracts. The judge is a religous elder who is versed in Sharia law (islamic law). Once this contract is signed by both parties, a male relative of the female who is supposed to act in her best interests, and witnesses, the couple is married. They can then spend time alone together and go out in public together. That is the social part so that neighbors won't whisper about the girl and her family. The consummation part in these contracts help to dictate the dowry part and what the spouse receives in cases of divorce. I think the female receives less then what is stipulated in teh contract if there is no consummation.There are other items as well...if the marriage was consummated then the female cannot marry for I believe 3 visits from "aunt flo". This is used to help ensure that the previous husband is no the father of child in the new pregnancy. Additionally, many deals are done behind the scenes at divorce time (pre-consummation and post-consummation)....the dealings include what is returned, if any, of the dowry what amount is given when the divorce is granted. I think also who initiates the divorce is a factor. Up until a few years ago, I don't think women could initiate a divorce. Again these could be Jordanian cultural norms or laws particular to Jordan. These are based on what I have witnessed and experienced.

"Haters are confused admirers, they can’t be or figure you out so negativity comes out [their] mouth.”

Timeline
You may have gotten lucky they didn't ask. I have heard of several others where they asked this and they also asked many more personal questions. Something to be very aware of.

I would venture out and say that consulates understand the cultures and respect the social norms of these countries. Maybe I am old school, maybe we got the benefit of the doubt b/c 99% of both our family still lives in the same town and there is no way in he!! I would have stood mum (and not in a good way) if any such questions were raised.

Timeline
As an aside, there is no separation of "mosque" and state in most (all?) islamic countries. The Sharia court presides over Islamic marriages...which involve legally binding marriage countracts. The judge is a religous elder who is versed in Sharia law (islamic law). Once this contract is signed by both parties, a male relative of the female who is supposed to act in her best interests, and witnesses, the couple is married. They can then spend time alone together and go out in public together. That is the social part so that neighbors won't whisper about the girl and her family. The consummation part in these contracts help to dictate the dowry part and what the spouse receives in cases of divorce. I think the female receives less then what is stipulated in teh contract if there is no consummation.There are other items as well...if the marriage was consummated then the female cannot marry for I believe 3 visits from "aunt flo". This is used to help ensure that the previous husband is no the father of child in the new pregnancy. Additionally, many deals are done behind the scenes at divorce time (pre-consummation and post-consummation)....the dealings include what is returned, if any, of the dowry what amount is given when the divorce is granted. I think also who initiates the divorce is a factor. Up until a few years ago, I don't think women could initiate a divorce. Again these could be Jordanian cultural norms or laws particular to Jordan. These are based on what I have witnessed and experienced.

In Morocco that is not true. Woman can initiate the divorce but they would need to wait 3 menstrual cycles before re-marrying.

Timeline
I would venture out and say that consulates understand the cultures and respect the social norms of these countries. Maybe I am old school, maybe we got the benefit of the doubt b/c 99% of both our family still lives in the same town and there is no way in he!! I would have stood mum (and not in a good way) if any such questions were raised.

Yes you would hope that they would, but unfortunately they don't. One of the qualifiers is that they be legally married (which they are) and have consummated the marriage. This also plays out when people get married by proxy, when they're not even in the same country when they get married. Some states allow this.. I think TX is one of them. But they are not able to file the petition until the marriage is consummated.

If I remember correctly from the petitions the only ones that speak anything of cultural norms is the I 129 or I 129f if you're filing for K3. But the question which asks this is skipped by married people.

I would definitely contact the embassy and ask. You don't want to get there and be denied for not knowing their rules.

April 19, 2010 - NOA1 (documents received at Mexico City Embassy)

April 20, 2010 - NOA2 (received notice April 28, 2010, mailed April 27)

May 3, 2010 - Packet 3 sent (received May 27, 2010)

May 9, 2010 - I emailed them using the inquiry form asking for my case number

May 17, 2010 - received case number and link to Packet 3 by email

May 18, 2010 - sent Packet 3 to Ciudad Juarez

May 28, 2010 - called Ciudad Juarez to see if we had an appointment yet, they said wait 6-8 weeks :(

May 30, 2010 - I return to the US

June 8, 2010 - called and found out appointment date

June 16, 2010 - received Packet 4

July 6, 2010 - interview - Approved!

July 7, 2010 - pick up visa at DHL and POE to activate

July 29, 2010 - welcome letter received

August 1, 2010 - my husband comes home to me

August 13, 2010 - received Green Card

September 28, 2010 - never received Social Security Card, had to apply for it, arrived Sept. 28

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.