Moonandstar

K VISA FEE TO INCREASE TO $350 FROM $131

61 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/pr...e-increase.html

The full article:

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/hom...900006480a6a10b

What really pisses me off, is that from what i can see, for those of us that have already started this process- but not interviewed yet- we're havin a fast one pulled on us by DOS!

If i had known it was gonna be 167% more expensive come the interview, i would have just ###### myself and gotten married and done DCF!

#### THIS! Tell them this is bullshit, and if nothing else, allow those of us that already thought we would be coughing us $131 at interview the original price!

LET THEM KNOW THIS IS WRONG, and if this were a law that affected the average American's life IT would most certainly be given a grace period of some sort.

Refer to the first link for contact info. THIS APPLIES TO ALL EMBASSIES AND CONSULATES- NOT JUST CHINA.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Okay maybe I am ready it wrong and I will admit I only read the first paragraph but it said the fee is going from $131 to $140. Nevermind I read a little futher...that is crazy.

Edited by dillon

AOS

9/25/09 -Mailed I-485/I-131/I-765

9/27/09 - Received by Chicago Lock Box

10/2/09 - Date on NAO1's

10/5/09 - Received NAO1's in the mail

10/5/09- Check cashed

10/11/09 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail

10/29/09- Biometrics appointment

10/14/09 - Walked in for Biometrics appointment

10/15/09 - Touch I-485/I-765

10/16/09 - I-485 transferred to CSC

11/6/09 - EAD approved

11/9/09 - Advance Parole approved

11/23/09- Received EAD/AP

12/2/09 - Email Card Production Ordered!!!!

12/9/09 - Card received

Timeline

That wouldn't be so bad- but check the first link- for most visas it goes to 140, but for us we get the full 350......

Edit: ya beat me to it ^_^

Edited by Moonandstar

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/pr...e-increase.html

The full article:

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/hom...900006480a6a10b

What really pisses me off, is that from what i can see, for those of us that have already started this process- but not interviewed yet- we're havin a fast one pulled on us by DOS!

If i had known it was gonna be 167% more expensive come the interview, i would have just ###### myself and gotten married and done DCF!

#### THIS! Tell them this is bullshit, and if nothing else, allow those of us that already thought we would be coughing us $131 at interview the original price!

LET THEM KNOW THIS IS WRONG, and if this were a law that affected the average American's life IT would most certainly be given a grace period of some sort.

Refer to the first link for contact info. THIS APPLIES TO ALL EMBASSIES AND CONSULATES- NOT JUST CHINA.

Yes, and I have it on good authority you can expect 50-100% increases on ALL fees in the next year or less...petitions, AOS, everything. The fees will not be grandfathered at all, meaning you may begin the priocess with the lower fee and end up paying the higher fee before it is over (for the visa or AOS for example)

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

This is regarding a fee increase proposed by the DOS, not USCIS and it is not specific to K1 visas, as K2 and K3s are also affected. Moving to embassy and consulate discussion.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline

Thanks rsn! Was hopin that K-3r's would see this too!

Yes, and I have it on good authority you can expect 50-100% increases on ALL fees in the next year or less...petitions, AOS, everything. The fees will not be grandfathered at all, meaning you may begin the priocess with the lower fee and end up paying the higher fee before it is over (for the visa or AOS for example)

True that. I heard it was comin but i was under the impression it only applied to CIS procedures, and that i was out of the blue, at least til AOS.

But let me say again: SHARE YOUR OPINIONS WITH THEM!! IT IS A PENDING RULE, and therefore can still be smacked down, if we're lucky and can show overwhelming nonsupport for this!!!

Edited by Moonandstar

-Benjamin Franklin

Well the fee increase is not in effect, so let's hope you get through the process before it goes into effect. That is a big increase in fees, so maybe they are paying the embassy staff a little too much. :unsure:

Timeline
so maybe they are paying the embassy staff a little too much.

From all the refusals i see from good folks here: My thoughts exactly.

-Benjamin Franklin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've reviewed the actual proposal which will go into effect in February 2010.The increase in fee from $131 to $350 represents a 167% increase in fees. Unbelievable, especially when compared to the proposed increases for other visa.

What WE can do:

Make comments at the site I will link below AND/or email or write the persons listed in the address below.

** Make sure to reference "RIN (1400-AC57)" in the subject line!!! **

ADDRESSES: Interested parties may contact the Department by any of the following methods:

Persons with access to the Internet may view this notice

and submit comments by going to the regulations.gov Web site at:

http://www.regulations.gov/index.cfm

Mail (paper, disk, or CD-ROM):

U.S. Department of State,

Office of the Executive Director, Bureau of Consular Affairs, U.S.

Department of State, Suite H1001, 2401 E Street, NW., Washington, DC

E-mail: fees@state.gov. You must include the RIN (1400-AC57) in the subject line of your message.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:

Amber Baskette,

Office of the Executive Director,

Bureau of Consular Affairs,

Department of State;

phone: 202-663-3923, telefax: 202-663-2599; e-mail: fees@state.gov.

(See a table of all proposed increases by scrolling to almost the bottom of this link).

Timeline

Thanks for the help Jay!

The best part about US law, is that even though it may be a dim chance, it doesn't prevent us from trying to make it how it should be.

By the way, that link at the bottom of your post seems to be broken....

And i take back my earlier words: i would have done DCF if i could have- but can't because im one of those unfortunate people that fall through all the cracks of international law- in China, i need to be 23 to marry, so for me, a K-1 is my ONLY resort.

Edited by Moonandstar

-Benjamin Franklin

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Thank you for this thread, we need to do our best to beat this down. I will be contacting everyone I can to voice my opinion on these proposals. This is insane, not entirely unexpected, but absolutely crazy!

From $131 to $350 is more like a 267% percent increase in fees, actually. It's ridiculous! I've made my comment on the regulations.gov website. I hope others will submit their comments, given that we have the opportunity.

Our naturalization timeline
1/12/2015 - Application sent to Phoenix service center by USPS priority mail

1/14/2015 - Package received in Phoenix

1/16/2015 - NOA date (hard copy received 1/22)

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

2/11/2015 - In line for interview

3/28/2015 - Hard copy interview notice received

4/29/2015 - Interview at Chicago field office - Approved!!!

5/22/2015 - Oath ceremony - Now a US citizen!!!!!!

Thank you, VisaJourney!!!!!

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

an1cHsK0g000610MTNsc3wxMDAwOTk4c2F8V2Uga

Timeline

Thanks for the support guys! keep it comin!

And let friends and family- particularly those in this process or those that have been or will go through this process know, and what they can do about it- February is the deadline.

-Benjamin Franklin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Thanks for the support guys! keep it comin!

And let friends and family- particularly those in this process or those that have been or will go through this process know, and what they can do about it- February is the deadline.

I posted my comments to the site also. Maybe I am wrong, but I can not believe that they wouldn't grandfather this in from the date of the notice. Because this is essentially a "bait-and-switch"...we are locked into this process, emotionally and financially, so we will be forced to pay the higher rates if we can not make it through in time. If AOS doubles, I can imagine that it would effectively reduce the number of future petitions filed. These fees will make the typical fiance(e)/spouse immigration process go towards $5K or more. I have gladly invested the time and money into my visa expenses...but they are going to price-out many people. Maybe this is good to limit immigration, but we are all doing this legally. Oh well, more ramen noodles so I can save more!

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
From $131 to $350 is more like a 267% percent increase in fees, actually. It's ridiculous! I've made my comment on the regulations.gov website. I hope others will submit their comments, given that we have the opportunity.

Ummm no. Think your math is a little off. 10% of $131 = $13.10. Therefore, a 10% increase on $131 = $131.10+$13.10=$144.20. Based on that math, a 100% increase = $131+$131=$262. Just as if something is on sale for 10% you subtract the 10% amount from the INITIAL amount, with an increase you ADD the % increase to the initial amount.

A 200% increase on $131 would be initial fee ($131) + $131 (100% increase) + $131 (2nd 100% increase) = $393... therefore your 267% just doesn't compute... out of interest. (plus there's a table on the link that actually SAYS 167% increase)

Either way, it is bullshit. Thanks for the info. I've finished K1 and am about to start on AOS, I hope we get in before they decide to increase THAT already exorbitant fee.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.