Wis-Can

What do they teach about Canada in America Schools?

41 posts in this topic

Well I had to share with my fellow Canadians a few encounters I have come across since my big move from Nova Scotia to Wisconsin that has made me really wonder what they teach in American schools about a country that shares its borders.

1. While at Walmart one day I was picking out some flowering mums to put beside my pumpkins on the step when a lady noticed my license plate of "Nova Scotia" and said, well aren't you going to be happy not to be seeing snow 365 days of the year.

2. Outside at Menards (hardware store) a gentleman said to me after looking at my license plate, "Nova Scotia, Canada's Ocean Playground" where abouts in Canada is there an ocean?

3. While stopping for gas at a Kwik Trip a gentleman said to me, "oh dear, you poor thing, you really are going to miss not being able to ski here". You'll have to drive about 50 miles north.

and my personal favorite while getting in my car outside of Walgreens and elderly couple looked perplexed standing at the back of my car looking at, yet again, my license plate, and asked, "dear may we ask you a question?" to which I replied, "you sure can" and she said, "how did they get your car here....did they bring it on a boat?" I seriously thought I was going to wet myself!

TRUE stories my fellow Canadians. I don't know if I want to change my license plate, its providing me with hours of entertainment.

Edited by Wis-Can

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha. That's very funny!

I wonder what some folks are going to think about my British Columbia license plate. I bet a few will think I'm British and a few will think I'm Colombian. :lol:

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

:lol:

I've heard my fair share too, including "do you have BBQ's / seafood in England?"

I too wonder what they teach about other countries in American schools, especially because I often hear people in the UK saying that it's all American culture/history. Who knows.

my honey was teasing me because I had said we need a new BBQ, he said no sweetie its not a BBQ its a grill...same difference to me!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

From the earliest grades, we are taught that "Canadia" is a third-world country where the natives routinely kill and eat foreign visitors; where the national sport is ice-fishing for deep-sea elk (which, when caught, are clubbed over the head with hockey-sticks); and where productivity is permanently hampered by the universal, exhausting work of adding the superfluous "u" to such words as humo(u)r, favo(u)r, and colo(u)r. These are just a few of the basic elements of knowledge that we learn aboot Canadia, si man.

Q: How did Canada get its name?

A: C eh N eh D eh.

Si, man, eh.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

When I was a kid they taught us that Canada was north :P

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

eh is not something all Canadians say, you certainly didn't hear that where I grew up in Cape Breton...you are more likely to hear "by'e" after a sentence there! You can almost here the Newfoundlander who ran out of money on his way to Ontario in the twang in the upper part of Cape Breton. :rofl:

When I worked at hotel near the Nova Scotia/New Brunswick border we had a couple come in from Kentucky one night and they brought there map out of the town of Amherst and asked the agent on the desk, "Could ya'll tell me where we could see some wild animals" to which I replied, "The Elm Tree Tavern downtown!". Good grief...then the man asked "where ya'll get your groceries at?"

From the earliest grades, we are taught that "Canadia" is a third-world country where the natives routinely kill and eat foreign visitors; where the national sport is ice-fishing for deep-sea elk (which, when caught, are clubbed over the head with hockey-sticks); and where productivity is permanently hampered by the universal, exhausting work of adding the superfluous "u" to such words as humo(u)r, favo(u)r, and colo(u)r. These are just a few of the basic elements of knowledge that we learn aboot Canadia, si man.

Q: How did Canada get its name?

A: C eh N eh D eh.

Si, man, eh.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Well I had to share with my fellow Canadians a few encounters I have come across since my big move from Nova Scotia to Wisconsin that has made me really wonder what they teach in American schools about a country that shares its borders.

1. While at Walmart one day I was picking out some flowering mums to put beside my pumpkins on the step when a lady noticed my license plate of "Nova Scotia" and said, well aren't you going to be happy not to be seeing snow 365 days of the year.

2. Outside at Menards (hardware store) a gentleman said to me after looking at my license plate, "Nova Scotia, Canada's Ocean Playground" where abouts in Canada is there an ocean?

3. While stopping for gas at a Kwik Trip a gentleman said to me, "oh dear, you poor thing, you really are going to miss not being able to ski here". You'll have to drive about 50 miles north.

and my personal favorite while getting in my car outside of Walgreens and elderly couple looked perplexed standing at the back of my car looking at, yet again, my license plate, and asked, "dear may we ask you a question?" to which I replied, "you sure can" and she said, "how did they get your car here....did they bring it on a boat?" I seriously thought I was going to wet myself!

TRUE stories my fellow Canadians. I don't know if I want to change my license plate, its providing me with hours of entertainment.

That was good...lol..love it.. yes we are a nation of well... i want to say ignorance but maybe that's too harsh. yes we dont learn much about our world outside even our neighbors in Canada.. Im wondering do you find that Canadians are more informed than we are about small and big things regarding other countries?

Truth of Palestine

take time to watch , give yourself time to understand. Then make your conclusions.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=676280059

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=242259905

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
That was good...lol..love it.. yes we are a nation of well... i want to say ignorance but maybe that's too harsh. yes we dont learn much about our world outside even our neighbors in Canada.. Im wondering do you find that Canadians are more informed than we are about small and big things regarding other countries?

Exact same thing I was wondering. :thumbs:

Colombia has an island named San Andrés where I've manyCanadians go visit during the winter time. I've visited several forums with threads about their trips and to this day I still don't understand why they insist in spelling Columbia with a U when it's actually named Colombia. Go figure.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

I know when I went through School we did learn about the United States in History and Geography and Modern World Problems. We learned how many states, each of there names, the US flag and what the stars and stripes mean. The US involved in wars and conflicts. Past Presidents and what they did for the country. We even learned the climates of various states. I found they taught a little bit of the world in general, but we seem to learn the most about Canada and the next door neighbors, The United States. I think I need to write a letter to Tourism Nova Scotia, they need to be paying me for promoting the Province!

Its a bit of a culture shock to come here to Wisconsin. I am finding some people are very nice, others not so much. I am so use to a place where everyone talks to you. If you meet someone new back home you invite them over for dinner,...give'em a beer and put your feet up. I've been here three months now and haven't made one friend. It will come my sweetie keeps telling me.

event.png

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

I've been out of school a while but the only thing I remember learning was about there being a mix of cultures, mostly French and Fanadian. I remember a pepsi can with two different languages on it. That's it lol. A few years ago though I know someone who went to Nova Scotia and was upset she couldn't find "African American" hair care products. We all had a good laugh over someone else telling her that was because she wasn't in America. That made me think that Canada can't be that much different.

Don't change your license plate, it's definitely good entertainment and it's so much cheaper than cable!

January 2009 - K-1 Denied by the consulate

January 2011 - Moved to India - Yikes!

October 2011 - DCF filing rejected by overzealous employee at the embassy

December 2011 - Tourist visa denied (not surprising)

March 2012 - CR1/IR1 process started

May 1, 2012 - RFE and some of our information was entered into the computer wrong by the CSC

Read about all the shenanigans of my relationship at American Punjaban PI

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I will fully admit that I know little to nothing about many countries around the world, aside from the little CanAm bubble I've lived in. I wish that wasn't the truth, but aside from learning about conflicts, wars, international threats and cultural customs we would debate in a liberal society, schools usually skip over the fact there is value in learning about different places around the globe.

I think its natural for us to be educated about the United States, given its power position in the world, but for people in the US to be fairly ignorant to what goes on in Canada is fairly normal. I've got some interesting comments since moving myself. It usually happens after it snows here and everyone says, "Oh I bet you're used to this weather!" or "why did you bring the snow down with you?!" Meanwhile Colorado gets a lot more snow then I've ever experienced back home in Southern Ontario. For the most part I just laugh and go with it. Sometimes I bother correcting people, but it always seems to go right over their hands, and then the next snow event comes and they say the same thing. So sure, I'm completely used too 2 feet of snow falling in 24 hours, that's so normal...

But very funny and cute wiscan! :lol:

Umm Canada??? Were the hell is that? Isn't that country the same as France....ready to surrender when faced with war????

:lol:

04-12-08 Married

06-11-08 Mailed I-130 Package

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.