DND2009

Mumbai: Packet 3 for K-1 visa experience

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

This is our experience with Packet 3...I couldn't find anything this specific on VJ, so I decided to post this to help others.

After receiving the NOA2 I tracked the application with NVC using the EAC number (603-334-0700 press 1 then 5) and once I knew that the petition had arrived at the Mumbai Consulate, I called the Department of State (202-663-1225 press 1 then 0), and after giving them my BMB case number they told me Packet 3 had been mailed out to my financee from the Mumbai Consulate.

However after 4 days she had not received it, so we called the Consulate (022 6654 7600) and they said they couldn't track the status and it could take two months to receive Packet 3 (which was a misleading because we knew they had already sent it).

So I sent an email (mumbaiiv@state.gov) to the Consulate telling them that DoS had told me they sent it but we hadn't received it and asked if it was okay if my finance appeared in person to submit the paperwork.

They responded within 24 hours and attached PDF of the Packet 3 cover letter (it was dated the day they sent me an email me not the date of when DoS said they sent it out), her name, contact information but they didn't attach any forms and instead they gave me a link to forms on the website (http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/ivforms.html). Also, they didn't answer if it was okay to bring it in person - but I had read on VJ that others had gone in person to submit Packet 3 forms.

We did receive Packet 3 from Consulate, one week after it was mailed, in it included:

1. Cover letter from Consulate

2. DS-230 Part I - http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/81807.pdf

3. Applicant Statement/Checklist - Instructions package: http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/media/pdf-vi...k1_packet_3.pdf

4. I-134 - Have it completed by Petitioner in the US ASAP and take to interview: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-134.pdf

5. Passport photos instructions: http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/media/pdf-vi...ions_for_k1.pdf

If you are going to submit it via courier, then send in the following:

1. Required: DS-230 Part I (2 pages)

2. Required: Applicant Statement (4th page only)

3. In addition, I recommend: One page cover letter, stating beneficiary's contact information, case number, that you are applying for K-1, and stating what is enclosed in the mail

She had the option of sending K-1 Packet 3 back to the Consulate via courier but in order to speed it up, my finance went in person to the Mumbai Consulate. She had the above forms for K-1 Packet 3 in one envelope and also everything ready for K-1 Packet 4 (http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/media/pdf-visas/info_k1_packet4.pdf) (except Police Certificate and Medical Report) - just in case they needed anything from there.

She went to the Consulate office early in the morning, and approached information window to submit her paperwork. The lady at the counter, took from her DS230 Part I and the one page Applicant Statement, and began to do something on the computer. Minutes later she printed out her interview letter and gave it to her and the Packet 4 information on the spot!!! I guess we were just lucky as others who have posted on VJ that submitted their P3 in person were sent their interview date letter and Packet 4 via courier.

Hope this helps!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
This is our experience with Packet 3...I couldn't find anything this specific on VJ, so I decided to post this to help others.

Hope this helps!

Yes, it does help! All that you posted. Thanls for taking the time to share your experiences in order to help others. :)

Edited by k.loveh

K-1 Visa

Consulate : New Delhi, India

I-129F Sent : 2008-03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-03-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-05-22

NVC Received : 2008-05-29

NVC Left : 2008-06-05

Consulate Received : 2008-06

Packet 3 Received : 2008-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-07

Packet 4 Received : 2008-07-16

Interview Date : 2008-08-25

August 25, 2008- Placed on A.P.

December 17, 2008- Petition Returned to USCIS for further review.

February 4, 2009- Received notice the USCIS has received returned petition.

June 4, 2009- Petition Reaffirmed by USCIS.

July 10, 2009- NVC sent Reaffirmed petition back to U.S.Embassy, New Delhi.

August 10, 2009- Embassy notified via email that they've received the Re-affirmed petition assigned with a 'new' case number as well as mailed Packet 3.

August 20, 2009- Embassy sent as an email attachment, the DS-230, Applicants Statement and Cover letter to Packet 3.

August 20, 2009- Mailed and Emailed request letter to Embassy to extend validity date of petition.

August 25, 2009 - Embassy received request to extend validity letter.

Sept 2, 2009- Embassy confirmed their receipt of the completed DS-230 and Applicants Statement.

October 29, 2009- 2nd Interview date- Visa Approved!

November 4th, 2009- Received Passport with Visa intact!

December 4th, 2009- Fiance arrived in U.S. - MARRIED Dec. 7th!

February 23rd-Mailed AOS Packet

March 3rd, 2010-Check Cashed

March 6th, 2010-Received AOS Receipt Notice

March 29th, 2010-Biometrics

Sept. 14, 2010-GC Interview -Approved!

Filed: Timeline

yep

we had same problem we never received the packet 3 . they said they sent on september 10 but we never recived.

they said over the phone that we have to download the paket 3 fom from the mumbai.usconulate.gov

and then sent to mumbai consultae.

so we send on september 28 2009.

and now just today on 13 october 2009 we have recived the pakage 4 indicating that interview is on november 20 2009.

ya so, once your case forwad to consulate from nvc.you should just,i advice other people to not wait for packet 3. just download and fill up the forms and sent to consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
yep

we had same problem we never received the packet 3 . they said they sent on september 10 but we never recived.

they said over the phone that we have to download the paket 3 fom from the mumbai.usconulate.gov

and now just today on 13 october 2009 we have recived the pakage 4 indicating that interview is on november 20 2009.

ya so, once your case forwad to consulate from nvc.you should just,i advice other people to not wait for packet 3. just download and fill up the forms and sent to consulate.

And the same happened to us, they said they sent packet three and didn't, but eventually sent us the forms via email.

As for encouraging others to send their forms from packet 3, i.e., Ds-230 and Applicants State immediately after they've gotten notice that NVC has forwarded their petition, I wouldn't advise it 'until' they've gotten mostly all the items on that list of required Documents completed and in their hands, especially the Passport PCC, this takes some time.

So if they were to just fill out the ds-230 and signed the Applicants statement and sent these in without having been prepared, then they could cause theirselves unnecessary panic. What 'if' their interview was scheduled which is what will happen once the Embassy has recieved their Packet 3 forms and they didn't have their passport back yet? Can't go to the interview without that. My SO submitted his Passport to the Passport office in mid-July and didn't get it back with the PCC until October 28th. Almost 3 months!

My advice is to get started on the PCC's as soon as they get their NOA2 and once this is accomplished, then by all means send them in.

Edited by k.loveh

K-1 Visa

Consulate : New Delhi, India

I-129F Sent : 2008-03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-03-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-05-22

NVC Received : 2008-05-29

NVC Left : 2008-06-05

Consulate Received : 2008-06

Packet 3 Received : 2008-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-07

Packet 4 Received : 2008-07-16

Interview Date : 2008-08-25

August 25, 2008- Placed on A.P.

December 17, 2008- Petition Returned to USCIS for further review.

February 4, 2009- Received notice the USCIS has received returned petition.

June 4, 2009- Petition Reaffirmed by USCIS.

July 10, 2009- NVC sent Reaffirmed petition back to U.S.Embassy, New Delhi.

August 10, 2009- Embassy notified via email that they've received the Re-affirmed petition assigned with a 'new' case number as well as mailed Packet 3.

August 20, 2009- Embassy sent as an email attachment, the DS-230, Applicants Statement and Cover letter to Packet 3.

August 20, 2009- Mailed and Emailed request letter to Embassy to extend validity date of petition.

August 25, 2009 - Embassy received request to extend validity letter.

Sept 2, 2009- Embassy confirmed their receipt of the completed DS-230 and Applicants Statement.

October 29, 2009- 2nd Interview date- Visa Approved!

November 4th, 2009- Received Passport with Visa intact!

December 4th, 2009- Fiance arrived in U.S. - MARRIED Dec. 7th!

February 23rd-Mailed AOS Packet

March 3rd, 2010-Check Cashed

March 6th, 2010-Received AOS Receipt Notice

March 29th, 2010-Biometrics

Sept. 14, 2010-GC Interview -Approved!

Timeline
yep

And the same happened to us, they said they sent packet three and didn't, but eventually sent us the forms via email.

As for encouraging others to send their forms from packet 3, i.e., Ds-230 and Applicants State immediately after they've gotten notice that NVC has forwarded their petition, I wouldn't advise it 'until' they've gotten mostly all the items on that list of required Documents completed and in their hands, especially the Passport PCC, this takes some time.

So if they were to just fill out the ds-230 and signed the Applicants statement and sent these in without having been prepared, then they could cause theirselves unnecessary panic. What 'if' their interview was scheduled which is what will happen once the Embassy has recieved their Packet 3 forms and they didn't have their passport back yet? Can't go to the interview without that. My SO submitted his Passport to the Passport office in mid-July and didn't get it back with the PCC until October 28th. Almost 3 months!

My advice is to get started on the PCC's as soon as they get their NOA2 and once this is accomplished, then by all means send them in.

K.Loveh - how can you go and get your passport verified and have PCC without interview date?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

So, I took your advice and it really worked. My fiance went to the Mumbai Consulate in person and he delivered packet 3 and first they told him that they will mail him packet 4, and he should have his interview in 3 months. So, my fiance got a bit upset, and then the lady suddenly changed her mind and asked him to verify his phone number they had on file and then they give him packet 4 with the interview date.

Also, my fiance was working with an agent as this helps out the beneficiary a lot. I highly recommend if your fiance can that they hire a agent as they can guide them through the process.

As for the PCC as soon as I got my approval letter I submitted a scanned copy to my fiance, and submitted his application with the approval letter and that is all they needed. He should be getting his PCC very soon now.

I recommend that don't wait for packet 3 in the mail as it could take a long time. If your fiance is able to just go deliver packet 3 in person so your SO can get the interview very soon.

Star

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Here is our Packet 4 experience at Mumbai VFS: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=227955

After receiving the NOA2 I tracked the application with NVC using the EAC number (603-334-0700 press 1 then 5) and once I knew that the petition had arrived at the Mumbai Consulate, I called the Department of State (202-663-1225 press 1 then 0), and after giving them my BMB case number they told me Packet 3 had been mailed out to my financee from the Mumbai Consulate.

However after 4 days she had not received it, so we called the Consulate (022 6654 7600) and they said they couldn't track the status and it could take two months to receive Packet 3 (which was a misleading because we knew they had already sent it).

So I sent an email (mumbaiiv@state.gov) to the Consulate telling them that DoS had told me they sent it but we hadn't received it and asked if it was okay if my finance appeared in person to submit the paperwork.

They responded within 24 hours and attached PDF of the Packet 3 cover letter (it was dated the day they sent me an email me not the date of when DoS said they sent it out), her name, contact information but they didn't attach any forms and instead they gave me a link to forms on the website (http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/ivforms.html). Also, they didn't answer if it was okay to bring it in person - but I had read on VJ that others had gone in person to submit Packet 3 forms.

We did receive Packet 3 from Consulate, one week after it was mailed, in it included:

1. Cover letter from Consulate

2. DS-230 Part I - http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/81807.pdf

3. Applicant Statement/Checklist - Instructions package: http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/media/pdf-vi...k1_packet_3.pdf

4. I-134 - Have it completed by Petitioner in the US ASAP and take to interview: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-134.pdf

5. Passport photos instructions: http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/media/pdf-vi...ions_for_k1.pdf

If you are going to submit it via courier, then send in the following:

1. Required: DS-230 Part I (2 pages)

2. Required: Applicant Statement (4th page only)

3. In addition, I recommend: One page cover letter, stating beneficiary's contact information, case number, that you are applying for K-1, and stating what is enclosed in the mail

She had the option of sending K-1 Packet 3 back to the Consulate via courier but in order to speed it up, my finance went in person to the Mumbai Consulate. She had the above forms for K-1 Packet 3 in one envelope and also everything ready for K-1 Packet 4 (http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/media/pdf-visas/info_k1_packet4.pdf) (except Police Certificate and Medical Report) - just in case they needed anything from there.

She went to the Consulate office early in the morning, and approached information window to submit her paperwork. The lady at the counter, took from her DS230 Part I and the one page Applicant Statement, and began to do something on the computer. Minutes later she printed out her interview letter and gave it to her and the Packet 4 information on the spot!!! I guess we were just lucky as others who have posted on VJ that submitted their P3 in person were sent their interview date letter and Packet 4 via courier.

Hope this helps!

• 7 months later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Depends on the RPO that would be issuing your PCC.

Some places are a royal PITA, just on 'general principles.'

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

• 1 year later...
Timeline

This is to serve as an update to all who visit this thread and try to appear at the embassy to submit their Packet 3.

Do yourself a favor.

Read http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/330285-mumbai-embassy-giving-my-fiancee-the-runaround

They don't accept Packet 3 at the window, it needs to be emailed. Since we didn't get the packet 3 via mail, we didn't even know where to send a "hardcopy."

Emailing the mumbai embassy is the **ONLY** option.

Hope this helps anyone trying to submit their K1 Packet 3 to Mumbai.

Thanks,

Chigs

Spoiler

N400 Journey:

01-Mar-2017: Filed N400 Application

08-Mar-2017: Check Cashed

08-Mar-2017: NOA

06-Apr-2017: Early FingerPrints (Orig: 12-Apr-2017)

10-Apr-2017: Case In Line for Interview

10-Sep-2017: Interview Scheduled

20-Oct-2017: Interview, recommended for approval

01-Dec-2017: In line for Oath

08-Dec-2017: Oath Ceremony Scheduled SMS/Email

19-Dec-2017: Oath Ceremony

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello

We are aslo having similar situation as we are waiting for receiving packahe 3 from Mumbai consulate, we received letter from NVCdated sep 16 that Mumbai Consulate will soon send Package 3 to beneficiary however till date we have not received it.

Could anyone please advise whether we should try submitting Package 3 documents personally or we should submit them via email, appraicte any guidance.

I am new to this website and gald to read this thread.

Our K1 Visa Application Timeline

05-15-2011: I-129F packet received in Dallas

05-23-2011: NOA1 Notice Date

05-29-2011: NOA1 hard-copy received

09-06-2011: NOA2 Hardcopy Received

09-16-2011: NVC Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.