tbaygrrl

Social security card...nightmare

18 posts in this topic

Well, I went to the SS office with my certified marriage certificate 2 weeks ago.... 13 days after entering on my K-1. all seemed fine and good for name change and to have a number issued and was told to call back in 4 days. Well I called back in 4 days, was told Homeland Securtiy requested more supporting forms from the SS office, which were sent in. So I was told to call back again, on todays date. When I called this time, I was told that my application could not be pulled up, that Homeland Sec. had it froze and that I needed to call the DOHS 1800# to find out why, as it was out of the SSO hands. I called DOHS and they were all confused, so I called the Social Security 1800# and was told to go back to the local SSO. I went there and was lucky enough to get the same woman who I originally spoke with on the phone when I first called. She saw that my K-1 had been entered somewhere as a K-2 visa....grrrr, and that could be the hold up, or that it was the application part of the DS-156? where I checked to give me a social security # causing issues.

She suggested that I cancel that application to have my name changed and to reapply with my maiden name so I can have a number issued, but also said, if I came back later to change my # to my married name , I would have the same issues. She did some stuff and said that she may have fixed it or not, and to call back tomorrow.

My question is, if she couldn;t fix it what should I do. Can an info pass appointment help with this, as my AOS package is being filed in my married name, as is my health insurance? and on top of it, I am a tad traditional with this and want to share the same last name as my husband, as we are now a family. I just can't imagine the problems that may come up with a social in my maiden and greencard in married, etc... ahhh advice please as I am verrrry stressed.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You should be able to change the name on your social security card with your passport, wedding certificate, etc... I am from Colorado and when I got married it was fine. Here is what it says to bring. Did you have all of this?

CHANGE OF INFORMATION: If you need to correct information on your SSN card, or information shown

in our records (e.g., a name change, or corrected date of birth), you will need to prove your identity and

provide documents that support the change and establish the reason for the change (e.g., a birth

certificate to show your corrected date or place of birth). A name change document (e.g., marriage

document) must identify you by both your old and new names. If it does not have enough identifying

information (See IDENTITY, Page 3) , we will request an identity document in your prior name and another

in your new legal name in addition to the name change document. If you were born outside of the U.S.,

you also need to prove your U.S. citizenship or current lawful, work-authorized immigration status.

(Page 3)

IDENTITY: We must see evidence of identity in your legal name. Your legal name will be shown

on the SSN card. Generally, we prefer to see documents issued in the U.S. Documents submitted to

establish identity must show your legal name AND provide biographical information (your date of

birth, age, or parents' names) and/or physical information (photograph, or physical description--

height, eye and hair color, etc.). Additionally, if you send a photo identity document but do not appear

in person, the document must show your biographical information (e.g., your date of birth, age, or

parents' names). To protect your Social Security card and number, identity documents must be of

recent issuance.

• U.S. driver's license; or

• U.S. State-issued non-driver identity card; or

• U.S. passport

WE CANNOT ACCEPT A BIRTH CERTIFICATE, HOSPITAL SOUVENIR BIRTH CERTIFICATE,

SOCIAL SECURITY CARD OR CARD STUB, OR A SOCIAL SECURITY RECORD as evidence

of identity.

IMPORTANT: If you are applying for a card on behalf of someone else, you must provide

evidence that establishes your authority to sign the application on behalf of the person to

whom the card will be issued (e.g., a minor child's birth certificate establishes the authority of a

parent to sign on behalf of the child). In addition, we must see different documents as proof of

identity for both you and the person to whom the card will be issued.

WE MUST SEE YOUR:

If you do not have one of these documents, or cannot get a replacement within 10 days, we may

accept other documents such as a U.S. military identity card, Certificate of Naturalization, or

employee identity card. For young children, we may accept medical records (clinic, doctor, or

hospital) maintained by the medical provider. We may also accept a final adoption decree, or a

school identity card or a school record maintained by the school.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, we must see your current U.S. immigration document and your foreign

passport with biographical information or photograph.

TIME LINE 2007

01/12/07-I Fly to Australia

01/25/07-We Got Married!

07/15/07-Point of Entry (K3 Visa)

K3 Time Line for the I-130, I-129F, EAD and AOS

usaCa.gifanimated-hearts.gifaustralC_1xa.gif

Lifting Conditions Timeline

11/06/09- Mailed Petition Via USPS Certified Mail

11/09/09- Your item was delivered at 11:08 AM on November 9, 2009 in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92677.

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/12/09- Return Receipt Arrives in Mail

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

11/27/09- Received Appointment Letter

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/08/10- Card Production Ordered (E-Mail)

01/09/10- Touched

01/14/10- Greencard Received

Timeline

IMMIGRATION STATUS: We need to see a current document issued to you by the Department of

Homeland Security (DHS) showing your immigration status, such as Form I-551, I-94, I-688B, or

I-766. We CANNOT accept a receipt showing you applied for the document. If you are not

authorized to work in the U.S., we can issue you a Social Security card only if you need the number

for a valid nonwork reason.

Your card will be marked to show you cannot work. If you do work, we will notify DHS.

Edited by Rings

TIME LINE 2007

01/25/07-We Got Married!

11/09/09- Your item was delivered at 11:08 AM on November 9, 2009 in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92677.

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/09/10- Touched

Timeline

Don't know why I just didn't give you the link...sheesh I am a nerd.

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

TIME LINE 2007

01/25/07-We Got Married!

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/09/10- Touched

Thanks,

but this is where confusion begins. I did bring my certified marriage cert. my passport, I-94. to the SS Office. It all seemed fine, but the clerk seemded to think that if I will still run into issues if I get it in my maiden name then try and change it to my married name once issued. Arrgghhh, so frustrating, as I followed the guidelines. But the clerk at the office did seem to feel that it was the K-1 visa's were the ones who always run into problems.. :bonk:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Well, I went to the SS office with my certified marriage certificate 2 weeks ago.... 13 days after entering on my K-1. all seemed fine and good for name change and to have a number issued and was told to call back in 4 days. Well I called back in 4 days, was told Homeland Securtiy requested more supporting forms from the SS office, which were sent in. So I was told to call back again, on todays date. When I called this time, I was told that my application could not be pulled up, that Homeland Sec. had it froze and that I needed to call the DOHS 1800# to find out why, as it was out of the SSO hands. I called DOHS and they were all confused, so I called the Social Security 1800# and was told to go back to the local SSO. I went there and was lucky enough to get the same woman who I originally spoke with on the phone when I first called. She saw that my K-1 had been entered somewhere as a K-2 visa....grrrr, and that could be the hold up, or that it was the application part of the DS-156? where I checked to give me a social security # causing issues.

She suggested that I cancel that application to have my name changed and to reapply with my maiden name so I can have a number issued, but also said, if I came back later to change my # to my married name , I would have the same issues. She did some stuff and said that she may have fixed it or not, and to call back tomorrow.

My question is, if she couldn;t fix it what should I do. Can an info pass appointment help with this, as my AOS package is being filed in my married name, as is my health insurance? and on top of it, I am a tad traditional with this and want to share the same last name as my husband, as we are now a family. I just can't imagine the problems that may come up with a social in my maiden and greencard in married, etc... ahhh advice please as I am verrrry stressed.

First mistake was bringing nmarriage certificate. You don't need it and it confuses the pig. Hre is the secret to the SSN as has been posted like 1 million times...

1. Apply for SSn immediately (the day after you arrive) you do NOT need to wait two weeks.

2. Apply in your name exactly as in your passport

3. Your passport is one form of government issued ID, your visa is the other.

Youwill have your card within a week from when you arrive in your MAIDEN name. AFTER you get your green card, change your name at SS.

If you run into untrained clerks that give you a hard time, insist on seeing a superviosr. DO NOT LEAVE until your application has been accpeted. Call or go to the office the NXT BUSINESS DAY and get your SS number. You do not need the card anyway and the number never changes. The "system" generates the number overnight, and may have even in your case. Check with them and see if you have a number yet. If you do, the card itself does not matter, nor does the name on the card matter. I lost my card in 1973 and have never found a use for the thing since.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
First mistake was bringing nmarriage certificate. You don't need it and it confuses the pig. Hre is the secret to the SSN as has been posted like 1 million times...

1. Apply for SSn immediately (the day after you arrive) you do NOT need to wait two weeks.

Youwill have your card within a week from when you arrive in your MAIDEN name. AFTER you get your green card, change your name at SS.

If you run into untrained clerks that give you a hard time, insist on seeing a superviosr. DO NOT LEAVE until your application has been accpeted. Call or go to the office the NXT BUSINESS DAY and get your SS number. You do not need the card anyway and the number never changes. The "system" generates the number overnight, and may have even in your case. Check with them and see if you have a number yet. If you do, the card itself does not matter, nor does the name on the card matter. I lost my card in 1973 and have never found a use for the thing since.

I totally agree with this. But I have one question. Why wait until after the greencard arrives to change your name, why not after the marriage?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think the issue is that when you apply under your married name the go to uscis to check that you can receive a ss#. Your visa was issued under your maiden name and your married name is not in the uscis records until after the AOS. I agee, if you have time left on your I-94 then get one issued under your maiden name, we did inot change my wifes until after she received her green card, then no problems. She even got a job with her maiden name on the ss card and married name on the EAD.

But I have one question. Why wait until after the greencard arrives to change your name, why not after the marriage?

What 2 legal documents will you show them to change your name before the greencard? Your marraige certificate is one, but you won't have any other official document in your married name. You need the greencard. Also, they won't need to verify with DHS as to your status once you show them a greencard.

Filed: Timeline

And.... as has been posted as many times.... many of us have NOT had any trouble getting the SSN in our married names prior to receiving a GC.

I am moving this thread from the AOS to the Working & Travelling forum, where the SSN information resides. Tbaygrrl, look for posts by I Quit. He is the resident expert on SSN information. Good luck.

iagree.gif

Filed: Timeline

Something doesn't smell right. One immigration has nothing to do with "freezing" your SSN application. All SSA does is access their data to verify your status and if immigration has your status recorded as K-2, it's still going to come up K-2 when SSA enters your I-94 number regardless of if you use your maiden name, married name or Micky Mouse.

As I have said before verification is a three step process. The initial verification request while you are in the office. If that doesn't verify they submit a secondary electronic request, which normally take around a week to get a response. If the response is that they need to see a copy of your immigration document(s), the copies are mailed along with Form G-845 for manual verification and the G-845 is mailed back to the SSA office. For this you need to allow at least a month.

I would find it hard to believe that in two weeks the SSA office did the secondary request, got a response, mailed the G-845 and it was processed and mailed back. Hell SSA procedure says to allow five days for mailing the G-845 to immigration and five days mailing time for it to come back to them.

Filed: Other Timeline

Why do you insist on telling readers to go to the SS office the day after they arrive? How many times has it been explained to you that this is poor advice?

When my husband went in to apply for his SSN, they had him in the system as an F-1 visa rather than K-1. We had to go sort it out at the CBP Deferred Inspection office. Once we did that, it was smooth sailing-- the SSN arrived shortly thereafter.

See this thread for a similar problem.

US Entry: 06-27-2009
Marriage: 08-14-2009
Conditional Green Card in Hand: 12-21-2009
I-751 filed: 09-16-2011
Conditions lifted: 10-16-2012
N-400 filed: 10-28-2013
N-400 approved: 03-06-2014

US Citizen: 03-21-2014

Well, today the nightmare was resolved. Turns out it was the whole glitch with my visa being marked K-2 in the system versus K-1. Funny thing is that the K-2 social security # was approved for me, LOL, so of course having a second application for a SSN as a K-1 for me was looking funny. But the clerks at the local office were wonderful the last 2 days and sorted out the whole mess. I was given confirmation of my # today, in my married name.

For those of you who gave me support and constructive advice such as IQuit, thank you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

Good morning everyone, ive been reading these posts and they are helpful or atleast i know there is a place i can share my sentiments with. I started to apply for SSN last July 21, and found out my last name wa misspelled, got it corrected after a week. the USCIS said i can already go ahead ad apply fo SSN which i did. anyway, i applied and well, thier computer cannot contain all the letters i have in my first name. so they tried something, then well i waitd for over a week and called and they said i was not in their file then i went back and told me i'm under a "suspect" list. waited again, till last aug 12, the lady i got to talk to had to start my application all over again. my name went through their system and told me the number wil be generated overnight. sh gave me a callbck the next day and told me no number yet. so waited again and after 2 weeks she said that she mailed my application at the "main" office and tha homeland security needs to d further investigation about my info, the countries ive been to and my activities...(i have an expired/unused reentry visa to Saudi i didnt use and has been travelling with a Saudi royalty, who i read was accused being a part of the 9/11,thats what i am scared of now. I just worked fo them as a nurse.=( anyway, im not sure if all those visas i have from them hav to do something with what is holding me back, or what not, or if its my long first name..i had to put my whole first names in order for the SSN office and USCIS to have the same info. anyways, now im still waiting and waiting a aiting and waiing...ad a job is already waiting and i ant get my license till i have that SSn....its soo frustrating..just venting out. been making phonecalls...

does anyone else know what is going on behind the "further investigation" and "verification"? ad how long will this take...? im bored to death here not doing anything.....cant even get my driver's permit et without that number......

thanks for taking time reading and posting you opinion....

AOS

Sept. 17 '09 : TB skin testing done : "0 mm" -> NEGATIVE

Sept. 22 '09 : completed documents

Sept. 23 '09 : AOS & EAD sent via USPS

Sept. 24 '09 : received 1:55pm signed by R. Mercardo

Sept. 29 '09 : ff. up SSN, no news from USCIS =(

Sept. 30 '09 : NOA1 Date

Oct. 2 '09 : check cashed

Oct. 5 '09 : NOA1 hardcopy received

Oct. 8 '09 : touches on AOS and EAD

Oct. 9 '09 : received Biometrics Appt. letter

Oct. 16 '09 : AOS moved to CSC

Oct. 19 '09 : received email about transfer

Oct. 21 '09 : Biometrics Appointment - done

Oct. 22 '09 : AOS and EAD touched

Oct. 23 '09 : AOS touched

Oct. 26 '09 : AOS touched

Nov. 2 '09 : AOS touched

: received email of case transfer to CSC dated Oct. 16

: case pending at CSC

Nov. 3 '09 : AOS touched

Nov. 5 ' 09 : received email at 8:00 pm EAD APPROVED

Nov. 10 '09 : received email : CARD PRDUCTION ORDERED

Nov. 13 '09 : received email : CARD SENT

Nov. 15 '09 : EAD CARD RECEIVED

Dec. 1 '09 : email GC card production ordered

Dec. 2 '09 : email permanent resident registered

Dec. 3 '09 : email PR approval sent

Dec. 5 '09 : GC RECEIVED

Aug.30 '12 : sent N-400 packet

Sept. 4'12 : delivery confirmation by USPS/Priority Date as per USCIS

Sept.6'12 : text&email USCIS Received Application

Sept. 7 '12 : check cashed

Sept.14 '12 : biometrics letter delivered

Sept.24 '12 : biometrics appt at 8am

Thank God,last time to deal with USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.