Kathryn41

My husband is no longer married to an alien

76 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I just got back from my oath ceremony this afternoon in Atlanta and I am officially a US citizen.

We were told to arrive at 1 pm and when we got there at 12:45, the line was already down the sidewalk and around the corner! We made our way in, through security, then upstairs to the Ceremony waiting room. My husband who was with me wasn't allowed into that waiting room and he along with all family members of other applicants were directed to a waiting room on the 3rd floor. We were 'assigned' the next seat available in the rows and as the rows filled up, USCIS Immigration Officers started going down each row asking for the oath letters, reviewing all of the questions on the back one by one, verifying names and addresses, then checking them off. For those who had travelled since their interview, they made notations of the dates out of the country on the forms. Just down from me was a little girl about 3 years old with her mother. The IO knelt down in front of her and smiled at her and said 'do you want to answer my questions too?'. The little girl nodded her head up and down vigorously, smiling really wide. So the IO asked, 'so, did you get married since you were last here?' and the little girl nodded her head up and down again. everyone laughed and the IO smiled and said "So, you are married now?' and the little girl smiled back and nodded. Anyway, it was really cute.

We waited for quite some time as the room filled to capacity. At about 2 oclock they started moving people into the ceremony room one row at a time. When it was our turn I found out they were having every individual check over their citizenship certificate for accuracy and then turning in their green cards. We each received a number and if we needed to leave the room (ie go to the restroom, etc. ) the number let us back in. Finally, the room was full so they then let all of the family members who had been waiting upstairs into the room. There were almost no seats left so everyone stood around the outside of the room. It was packed. On each seat was a package that contained a small flag, the oath, information about what to do next (re passport, SSN, etc.), a small booklet containing the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution and a really nice book containing excerpts of famous American speeches, documents and information about American symbols.

The Head of the Atlanta USCIS office then welcomed us, said a few words about the importance of immigration. She said that there were 190 people from 70 countries receiving their citizenship today, then alphabetically called out each country and asked its citizens to stand. There were 2 other Canadians along with me. While standing we then recited the oath and pledged allegiance to the flag. After the Oath we then watched a video on the Faces of America, a welcome video from President Obama, and a video entitled "Proud to be an American'.

Family members were then asked to leave again, and the rest of us filed out row by row, receiving our citizenship certificates as we left. We were advised that if they needed any corrections try to do those today but that our files would remain at the Atlanta office for 30 days so corrections could still be made then. The Director also said to make a good copy of the certificate even though it says on it not to copy it - she said we were authorized to make a copy to keep safe so we would be able to send off the original for the passport and such.

She also gave information about children under 18 who would receive derivative citizenship through their parents - and I found this information very useful and wanted to share it here. For such children, the parents need to file an N600 form with the necessary documents and fee. For children 13 years and under, their certificates would be mailed to them. For children 14 to 17, they would need to appear in person at the USCIS office to actually take the oath.

So that was it. They said to allow 3 hours and that was about right what with all of the waiting and such.

So, tomorrow I'm off to SSA and the Post Office to apply for my passport - after I make a copy of my certificate. Now we're going to go out to dinner and celebrate!

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Congrats Sister :thumbs:

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

She also gave information about children under 18 who would receive derivative citizenship through their parents - and I found this information very useful and wanted to share it here. For such children, the parents need to file an N600 form with the necessary documents and fee. For children 13 years and under, their certificates would be mailed to them. For children 14 to 17, they would need to appear in person at the USCIS office to actually take the oath.

Good to know beccuase I thought that you only needed to apply for the N600 if you wanted the certificate. I thought by the fahter being a citizen and the Child already in the US all that would be needed is the parent certificate

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Congrats Kathryn!! :):)

you got in at 12.45, what time was it over ?

animated_us_flag.gifN-400 Naturalization

03/23/09 Sent N-400 to Lewisville, Texas by UPS

03/25/09 delivered

03/30/09 check cashed

03/31/09 NOA

04/03/09 Touched

04/24/09 Biometrics

07/18/09 Interview letter received

08/19/09 Interview -*APPROVED*

08/27/09 Oath date -** US CITIZEN **

09/01/09 Applied for passport

09/14/09 Passport Received !!!

Timeline

It finished about 4 o'clock- I don't know for sure because I didn't look at my watch until we were driving home:-)

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

:dance: :dance: A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to you, Kathryn!!!!!!!!! :dance: :dance:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

SO will we lose another Mod?? :D

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Congratulations!

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline
SO will we lose another Mod?? :D

Well, I'm planning on staying - I'm now an American mod as well as a Canadian mod - dual citizenship, you know. Two for the price of one!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Happy day!!! :dance:

That's great news! Congratulations Kathryn! And thank you for telling us the details, now those who have yet to get there will not feel so nervous, thanks to your sharing this with us.

K-1 Visa

Consulate : New Delhi, India

I-129F Sent : 2008-03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-03-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-05-22

NVC Received : 2008-05-29

NVC Left : 2008-06-05

Consulate Received : 2008-06

Packet 3 Received : 2008-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-07

Packet 4 Received : 2008-07-16

Interview Date : 2008-08-25

August 25, 2008- Placed on A.P.

December 17, 2008- Petition Returned to USCIS for further review.

February 4, 2009- Received notice the USCIS has received returned petition.

June 4, 2009- Petition Reaffirmed by USCIS.

July 10, 2009- NVC sent Reaffirmed petition back to U.S.Embassy, New Delhi.

August 10, 2009- Embassy notified via email that they've received the Re-affirmed petition assigned with a 'new' case number as well as mailed Packet 3.

August 20, 2009- Embassy sent as an email attachment, the DS-230, Applicants Statement and Cover letter to Packet 3.

August 20, 2009- Mailed and Emailed request letter to Embassy to extend validity date of petition.

August 25, 2009 - Embassy received request to extend validity letter.

Sept 2, 2009- Embassy confirmed their receipt of the completed DS-230 and Applicants Statement.

October 29, 2009- 2nd Interview date- Visa Approved!

November 4th, 2009- Received Passport with Visa intact!

December 4th, 2009- Fiance arrived in U.S. - MARRIED Dec. 7th!

February 23rd-Mailed AOS Packet

March 3rd, 2010-Check Cashed

March 6th, 2010-Received AOS Receipt Notice

March 29th, 2010-Biometrics

Sept. 14, 2010-GC Interview -Approved!

Congrats, Kathryn!

Thanks for the info on children's citizenship. The N600 is optional. We can apply for our children's US passport using our certificates, then the US passport can serve as the children's proof of citizenship. The importance of N600 has been discussed so many times in this forum. My take on this is that it is a nice thing to have but if you want to spare the expense, you can live without it for now until some circumstance in the future will make it absolutely necessary to get one. There is no time limit in applying for the certificate.

I wasn't going to apply for a N600 for my daughter but after learning from your post that children 14 years old and above get to say the oath in a USCIS office, I figured she will get a kick out of it. I want her to have that experience so she can appreciate its meaning.

DO: LOS ANGELES

04/24/09 - mailed N400

04/27/09 - N400 received

04/30/09 - NOA1 date

05/04/09 - NOA1 received

05/04/09 - check cashed

05/05/09 - touched

05/13/09 - walk-in biometrics

05/22/09 - biometrics schedule

06/02/09 - interview notice date

06/08/09 - received interview notice

07/30/09 - interview - PASSED :P

08/28/09 - Oath Ceremony

08/29/09 - Passport application

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.