tomsarah11

Need Advice for K3/CR1

7 posts in this topic

Hello-

We just got both our 129F and out I-130 approved yesterday. Everything I have read on here says that I can now choose which to pursue (K3 or CR1)--is this correct? If so, because they have both been approved, will they take about the same time if I choose the CR1 (everyone seems to agree this is the better path)? If so, how do I pursue this one instead of the k3?

Yes do the CR-1.

Ignore the paperwork you get from the embassy. Follow the I-130 through NVC.

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Yes do the CR-1.

Ignore the paperwork you get from the embassy. Follow the I-130 through NVC.

what exactly do you mean by "ignore"??

Wouldn't it be bad to ignore paperwork sent back?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I wouldn't ignore anything that the embassy sends to you. In fact, when they send the paperwork I would call them and let them know that you would like to cancel the K3 interview and wait for the CR1.

It won't necessarily be obvious but so long as you read through the guides here and are prepared for NVC you'll be fine. Start by reading this http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/...he_NVC_ShortCut and this http://www.visajourney.com/examples/NVC_Pr...wchart_v1-2.pdf and you'll have a better idea of everything that happens after the NOA2.

After the NOA2 the two petitions (I-130 and I-129f) will be separated. The I-129f will spend a day or two at NVC and then be forwarded to the embassy who will then contact you asking for some more forms etc. before they'll set up an interview. That's the packet that you'll ignore. The I-130 spends more time at NVC because it undergoes all the necessary processing there, and will receive an interview date before it is sent out to the embassy.

It's not bad to ignore it- in fact the DOS told me to do just that. The embassy will hold the petition for a while, a year I think, as some people take much longer to go through this whole process. Long before then your I-130 will be done with NVC and ready and waiting for your interview. Somehow the petitions are still related, so once the I-130 gets to the embassy they'll know that you're going for the IR/CR-1.

I followed both paths and with London in particular there is absolutely no reason to go for the K-3. I was done with NVC and had an interview date scheduled before the embassy even thought about scheduling my K-3 interview. The DOS folks told me that once my I-130 gets to the embassy they'll know to ignore everything we sent in for the K-3. As they haven't even bothered to schedule a K-3 interview yet it's not like we're missing anything.

And there is no way to "call" the embassy. You just get a hotline that you pay $16 to get to and get a code to email the embassy. Via email or letter it'd be at least two weeks before anyone sees anything you send them. You can feel free to send them a letter to let them know what you're up to but honestly they don't care. If you have a CR-1 interview that's all that matters. They won't schedule the K-3 if you don't send them the forms they need so you really can't run into any problems. People abandon petitions all the time.

Edited by imaisha

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.