jeeleebee

applying for ssn after marriage

8 posts in this topic

hi all, another question...i hope someone can help me on this...

im here on a k-1 visa, and i tried applying for my ssn after getting married (in my married name) and i was told i need to get my name changed with "immigration" first

i already have a certified marriage certificate (but i wasnt asked for it)

from the info im getting from the local ssa office, i should have applied for my ssn before getting married, then all i would have needed to do was to present a certified marriage certificate to get my name changed...but since i didnt do that, i have to go to immigration and have my name changed

i was wondering if im getting the runaround or if i should go back to the ssa office and try again, this time showing them my marriage certificate

or maybe i can just apply under my maiden name, then ask for a name change (i dont know if that's valid tho since im already 3 days married)

thanks so much!

Animated flag courtesy of virtuallandmedia.com

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

The computer system has your name in there as it was entered into the immigration system. That is the only way they can identify you. That means that your maiden name is the only name that is eligible for a SSN. They aren't giving you the run-around. The system will only accept the name that matches with the immigration docs.

You can then change that entry with a marriage cert. that's why they tell you to get the SSN first. So go get it in your maiden name and after you receive the card, bring it in w/ your marriage license.

The computer system has your name in there as it was entered into the immigration system. That is the only way they can identify you. That means that your maiden name is the only name that is eligible for a SSN. They aren't giving you the run-around. The system will only accept the name that matches with the immigration docs.

You can then change that entry with a marriage cert. that's why they tell you to get the SSN first. So go get it in your maiden name and after you receive the card, bring it in w/ your marriage license.

This is not correct.

They may have been giving you the runaround.

As long as your marriage certificate has sufficient information on it (name/date of birth) they can issue you the SSN with your married name as long as you are within 76 days of entry to the U.S. The people that work at the SSA offices don't seem to always know their own rules regarding K1 visas. Look at my signature timeline. We got Marlene's SSN with her married name after we were married. Yes, they tried to tell us we couldn't. Yes, we had to inform them of their own rules.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

thanks so much for the insight...is there anything i can print out and bring to the ssa that will state this rule? thanks!

This is not correct.

As long as your marriage certificate has sufficient information on it (name/date of birth) they can issue you the SSN with your married name as long as you are within 76 days of entry to the U.S. The people that work at the SSA offices don't seem to always know their own rules regarding K1 visas. Look at my signature timeline. We got Marlene's SSN with her married name after we were married. Yes, they tried to tell us we couldn't. Yes, we had to inform them of their own rules.

thanks so much for the insight...is there anything i can print out and bring to the ssa that will state this rule? thanks!

This is not correct.

Yes there is something you can print out and take. I don't have the link at the moment. You could contact VJ user mdyoung... he seems to have them readily available and is a very accurate source for rules regarding SSA.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

great! thanks much!

Yes there is something you can print out and take. I don't have the link at the moment. You could contact VJ user mdyoung... he seems to have them readily available and is a very accurate source for rules regarding SSA.

Filed: Timeline

I alread PM'd her the info and basiclly if she hasn't been here over 76 days and the marriage certificate has her age or date of birth they should have taken the application. At the very least they should have allowed her to apply in her maiden name if the I-94 was still valid. I would take what I sent her and go back and see the office manager.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Data

a. Bride Takes Groom’s Last Name

In all 50 U.S. States (this means the 50 States, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa) the bride may take her husband's last name (surname or family name) as her new last name. (EXAMPLE: Jane Doe married John Jones and she may change her name to Jane Jones.)

Interim Guidance: If the bride wants to take her husband's last name, accept the marriage document as a legal name change for the bride if the new name can be derived from the marriage document; even if the marriage document only shows each partner's first names, the bride's prior surname and husband's surname. The marriage document alone can be accepted as evidence of identity for both the old and new names when it meets the criteria described in RM 00203.200G.2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200#G2

2. Determine if the ID Document Has Required Information

Ask the applicant to submit one or more documents that show the person's name AND provide:

Biographical information in addition to the person's name that the reviewer can compare with the

data on the SS-5 (e.g., date of birth, age, or parents' names) and/or

Physical information that the reviewer can compare with the applicant (e.g., physical description,

photograph).

NOTE: A non-picture identity document must have the person's name as well as information that can be

compared to the Numident, the applicant or other documents submitted (e.g., age, date of birth, or

parents' names).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C. Procedure - Immigration Document as Evidence of Legal Name

When issuing immigration documents, the Department of State and DHS issue them in the person's legal name. The legal name is also generally the name in which the foreign passport was issued.

When an alien applies for an SSN card, presume the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This addresses the verification process and SAVE having her maiden name:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203735

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE

E. PROCEDURE—ONLINE SAVE QUERY RESPONSE INFORMATION DOES NOT AGREE WITH

IMMIGRATION DOCUMENT

1. Name

e. Applicant Has Changed His/Her Name But SAVE Query Response Shows Old Name

In some cases, the applicant may have changed his/her name after DHS

issued the immigration document (e.g., he/she has married and is now

using the spouse’s last name) but does not present an immigration

document showing the new name. In these cases, the DHS system reflects

the new name only when the person provided the name change information

to DHS and requested to have his/her immigration record changed to show

the new name.

When the SAVE query response shows the old name that is shown on the

immigration document presented and not the new name on the identity

document presented, do not consider this a name discrepancy for

enumeration purposes. See RM 00203.200 when the applicant presents an

identity document in the new name that is more recent than the

immigration document to determine if the identity document is

acceptable. Tell the applicant he/she must report the name change to DHS

so that DHS can update its records.

NOTE FROM ME: Procedure tells the SSA office to tell you to report the

name change to DHS, not that the application can't be processed

thanks all for the help, especially you mdyoung :thumbs:

i just want to share what happened when i went back to the ssa office...

they did take my app under my married name but i was still told to go to immigration to maybe speed things along

so we went there the next day and my name didnt get updated in their database

i was told i have to file for AOS and EAD and use the work permit to get my SSN

so that means 2 months waiting, maybe 3

i wish i had known what a hassle it will be applying for the social security # after marriage

but oh well...gotta move forward now

thanks again!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.