John & Mary

USCIS lists wrong visa type in system after US entry

21 posts in this topic

My fiance entered the US on June 27 on a K1 visa, and after looking at the social security number application guide carefully, we went downtown to an Atlanta Social Security Administration office today to apply for his SSN.

The officer would not grant us one because when he looked John up in the system, USCIS showed that he entered the US on an F1 visa rather than a K1! John's visa itself and his I-94 clearly stated that he was K1, and furthermore, he's NEVER applied for an F1 visa and has never studied in the US or been associated with an American university. WHAT? I mean, honestly, WHAT?

We came home and called USCIS, and they advised us to schedule an Infopass appointment ASAP because such an error could have a "serious impact" on his AOS. Of course the first Infopass appointment isn't available until July 28.

I don't even know how this is possible. How could USCIS make such an error? ALL of John's paperwork is only K1 related. I can't believe there isn't an "oh #######, we screwed up" fast-track way to get this sorted out.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a way we could resolve this before July 28?

(Also, moderators, please move if I've posted in the wrong place. I wasn't sure where to put this unique problem!)

US Entry: 06-27-2009
Marriage: 08-14-2009
Conditional Green Card in Hand: 12-21-2009
I-751 filed: 09-16-2011
Conditions lifted: 10-16-2012
N-400 filed: 10-28-2013
N-400 approved: 03-06-2014

US Citizen: 03-21-2014

This is definitely something for INFOPASS. They should take care of it for you, as long as you show them your passport, visa and I-94. I would do it ASAP.

You could try to walk in to the INFOPASS, but you risk being turned away.

To the other poster, the SS office can only issue SS#s to people that are authorized by DHS (USCIS) to receive a number.

Edited by Ed+Cindy

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

WOW. Im so sorry, you guys must e freaking out a bit.

I would also try a walk in infopass...I think its worth the risk of being turned away until your appointment. they may see you that day and be able to get you guys straightened out..hopefully

Good Luck!

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

This happened to someone else recently. Their post describes how they got it resolved. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=205097&hl=

I'll move this to the work and travel forum.

Edited by English Muffin

This happened to someone else recently. Their post describes how they got it resolved. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=205097&hl=

I'll move this to the work and travel forum.

Thank you so much! That thread got us all sorted out and saved us a lot of time.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

While right now the fact that they wouldn't issue you an SSN is probably the least of your worries with this USCIS error (the consequences for AOS being much more important), this story makes me wonder why I was able to get an SSN when I was on an F-1 visa...

They wouldn't issue the SSN because there was a discrepancy between what was listed on his I94 and visa vs. what was in the system. I think that if he had been legitimately F1, they would have issued it.

While right now the fact that they wouldn't issue you an SSN is probably the least of your worries with this USCIS error (the consequences for AOS being much more important), this story makes me wonder why I was able to get an SSN when I was on an F-1 visa...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

These are the times when you just (L) VJ!

Yaay for English Muffin

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

They wouldn't issue the SSN because there was a discrepancy between what was listed on his I94 and visa vs. what was in the system. I think that if he had been legitimately F1, they would have issued it.

Yeah, they said exactly the same to me. I was also very angry when this happened.

Don't worry too much about whether you have an infopass appointment. I had one, and they told me to line up with the walk-in people anyway. An appointment is only to guarantee you to speak to an officer.

Bear in mind (though you've seen the original so probably know this anyway) that USCIS only told me to go back to POE and get this corrected. So perhaps going to the airport with your K1 paperwork will do the job too.

Good luck!

EDIT - ignore this, seems you got it fixed. :D

Edited by Gemmie

Bear in mind (though you've seen the original so probably know this anyway) that USCIS only told me to go back to POE and get this corrected. So perhaps going to the airport with your K1 paperwork will do the job too.

I'd still go to the InfoPass after visiting CBP, though, for the OP's peace of mind if nothing else. I personally wouldn't be happy until the IO at the appointment said "Yes, CBP have corrected your status and you're now showing as K-1, you'll have no problems at AOS time."

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

I don't understand why people are running off to immigration, when the SSA office has other steps that can be taken to verify your status if the initial verification show your status as being a mismatch.

Because for other issues (like AOS, impromptu stops by ICE, etc), the entry status should be correct in the system. Havin SS verify the status only corrects SS's end, not the source of the problem.

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
My fiance entered the US on June 27 on a K1 visa, and after looking at the social security number application guide carefully, we went downtown to an Atlanta Social Security Administration office today to apply for his SSN.

The officer would not grant us one because when he looked John up in the system, USCIS showed that he entered the US on an F1 visa rather than a K1! John's visa itself and his I-94 clearly stated that he was K1, and furthermore, he's NEVER applied for an F1 visa and has never studied in the US or been associated with an American university. WHAT? I mean, honestly, WHAT?

We came home and called USCIS, and they advised us to schedule an Infopass appointment ASAP because such an error could have a "serious impact" on his AOS. Of course the first Infopass appointment isn't available until July 28.

I don't even know how this is possible. How could USCIS make such an error? ALL of John's paperwork is only K1 related. I can't believe there isn't an "oh #######, we screwed up" fast-track way to get this sorted out.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a way we could resolve this before July 28?

(Also, moderators, please move if I've posted in the wrong place. I wasn't sure where to put this unique problem!)

I had the same problem when i filed for my SSN here in NY. The lady told me that my name at the system has two N's but in all the documents that I showed her like my passport, I-94, Birth certificate, marriage certificate and K1 visa all has one N so what she did was my application was for verification and I was given a white paper where in it was explained that they need to verify my immigration status before they can issue an SSN. She also told me that it might take a month or more. The lady was nice and explained everything to me. But guess what after 3 weeks, I received my SSN at the mail which is really nice. Until now we don't know who did the mistake, though we feel like the mistake was at the POE. Im not sure why they didnt just accept your application and verified it at the immigration coz im sure it is just a human error like mine.

Mike_Jo-185.jpg032_32.jpgedit-3.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------

03/05/2010 ----- Greencard arrived in mail

03/15/2010 ----- Got a job as an RN! finally.:)

REMINDER: November 22, 2011 (Removing Conditons)

Filed: Timeline
I had the same problem when i filed for my SSN here in NY. The lady told me that my name at the system has two N's but in all the documents that I showed her like my passport, I-94, Birth certificate, marriage certificate and K1 visa all has one N so what she did was my application was for verification and I was given a white paper where in it was explained that they need to verify my immigration status before they can issue an SSN. She also told me that it might take a month or more. The lady was nice and explained everything to me. But guess what after 3 weeks, I received my SSN at the mail which is really nice. Until now we don't know who did the mistake, though we feel like the mistake was at the POE. Im not sure why they didnt just accept your application and verified it at the immigration coz im sure it is just a human error like mine.

Well if that was the case, there was no problem as far as SSA is concerned and they should have processed the application. When they verify your status there is a 1 letter allowance for misspellings of names.

Not to say that it hasn't happened, but I have not heard of anyone having a problem by not correcting the information in SAVE. When the initial verification does not verify and SSA needs to do a secondary electronic verification or send a Form G-845, immigration looks at something to verify the person's status and they might even make the correction when the mistake is discovered though the SSN verfication process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.