24 posts in this topic

Tried to get my SSN today from the local office and they said I was entered as a F1 visa holder.

She told me to contact "immigration", does anyone know what to do next?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

That's a new one on me.

I'll move this from the UK forum to one were you might get more help - Working and Traveling prior to getting a Green Card.

Tried to get my SSN today from the local office and they said I was entered as a F1 visa holder.

They said this even though you've clearly got a K1 visa in your passport?

Yep... she said Boston entered me as a F1. The IO even congratulated me on engagement, and wrote K1 on my 1-94, etc.

I think you're right, Muffin.

Edited by Gemmie

Wow that's just silly. I'd get on the Customs and Border Patrol website and start ringing every number. Not sure what your POE was but maybe try contacting the appropriate field office here: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/cmcs/

and I'm not sure what these folks do but maybe they'd be helpful: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contact...ts/cbp_psml.xml

and I guess you could try just calling the airport but I'm not sure if there are actually people on the other end of the line.

Good luck!

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Do an INFOPASS appointment and ask them to correct the status you were entered as.

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Wow that's just silly. I'd get on the Customs and Border Patrol website and start ringing every number. Not sure what your POE was but maybe try contacting the appropriate field office here: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/cmcs/

and I'm not sure what these folks do but maybe they'd be helpful: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contact...ts/cbp_psml.xml

and I guess you could try just calling the airport but I'm not sure if there are actually people on the other end of the line.

Good luck!

The above is definitely the place to start. CBP messed up, so they will have to fix it.

If you aren't having any luck there, here's another link, where you can find a closer POE, and try phoning.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Timeline

If the initial verification shows you as an F-1 they are supposed to do a secondary electronic verification request and that normally takes from a few days to a week to get a response. I would go back to the office and question as to whether the secondary electronic verification request was submitted and if not shouldn't one be done. I would ask to speak with the office manager if the service rep gives you any ####### about doing it. Even after the secondary response comes back there is always the G-845 that can be sent if immigration responds to the secondary request that they need to see a copy of the front and back of your I-94.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hey.. sorry to hear about that.. i had a problem because they entered my middle name incorrectly.. they should still process your SSN application it will just take longer because it would need to be verified.. you should go back

I have an INFOPASS appointment later this week to speak to an immigration officer so hopefully they can just change my status with no extra hassles. But that's USCIS, and I too believe the problem rests with CBP.

I tried calling CBP but I'm just being passed around departments via switchboards, and when I finally get to the one that might fit, no one is available. Same with USCIS Customer Services, I'm just listening to endless situational options, most of them regarding applications filed.

I tried calling Boston Logan Border Control and no one was available.

I'll ask my fiance if he'll take me back to the SS office. . To be honest, the woman didn't seem to know what she was doing. She asked someone else to confirm if I was registered under K1 or F1 and when they told her F1, she just told me that her system says F1 and I need to speak to immigration. I asked WHO in immigration and even asked if she means Border Control and she just looked confused, repeated that I needed to speak to immigration, and come back once they've fixed my status. She never said anything about a secondary request, just gave me back my stuff.

Thanks for the advice.

I have an INFOPASS appointment later this week to speak to an immigration officer so hopefully they can just change my status with no extra hassles. But that's USCIS, and I too believe the problem rests with CBP.

They messed up my fiance's middle name and she corrected it with an INFOPASS appt. It wasn't a major mess-up, so SS still issued a number, but something we wanted to fix just to be safe. INFOPASS is the place to go for POE entry screw-ups.

(Just FYI, in our case, they put my fiance's middle name as part of her first name. She has a hyphenated middle name and they removed the hyphen and jumbled it with her first name).

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Apparantly not, Ed and Cindy.

During my appointment, USCIS told me that they had me in their system as a B2 visa holder. I told her I had never applied for a tourist visa in my life and she said "they must've got it from somewhere...".

They told me to go back to POE and notify them. Luckily, they changed my status to K1 without further troubles.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted elsewhere about John's specific problem, which was pretty much the same as yours, Gemmie.

However, thanks to VJ, we were able to go get it sorted out TODAY, the same day we learned about the problem! We went to the DEFERRED INSPECTION office of our local CBP. They were able to fix it even though our POE was Cincinnati, not Atlanta (where we live).

Now, we still have that Infopass appointment on July 28... we may go to it anyway if John's SSN hasn't arrived yet, just to make sure that everything is correct in the "system".

THANK YOU everyone! VJ has saved us several times and we are so grateful.

US Entry: 06-27-2009
Marriage: 08-14-2009
Conditional Green Card in Hand: 12-21-2009
I-751 filed: 09-16-2011
Conditions lifted: 10-16-2012
N-400 filed: 10-28-2013
N-400 approved: 03-06-2014

US Citizen: 03-21-2014

Apparantly not, Ed and Cindy.

During my appointment, USCIS told me that they had me in their system as a B2 visa holder. I told her I had never applied for a tourist visa in my life and she said "they must've got it from somewhere...".

They told me to go back to POE and notify them. Luckily, they changed my status to K1 without further troubles.

I wonder if people should start double-checking at the POE (if possible) to see what they've put into the system. This seems to be happening too often.

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.