mlugo

In love and wondering what visa to apply for...

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, this is a wonderful Web site! My boyfriend and I found it and are learning all about our options and requirements to get married soon. He is American and I am Mexican. We're considering the ramifications of getting married in Mexico, applying for the Spouse Visa, then I as a Mexican resident with a US Tourist Visa, 'visiting' my husband using that while we wait for the Spouse Visa. Can someone be kind enough to tell us if that's the way we should proceed? What is the best option for us - the Spouse Visa or the Fiancee Visa? Or, could we apply for the Direct Consular Filing?

Thanks! Blessings

mlugo

Once you file K-1, you shouldn't enter the US. It's only 6 months...okay I know it long time for lovers...but it's worth the wait.

Look around on this site for more stories about coming after filing but before approval.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hi, this is a wonderful Web site! My boyfriend and I found it and are learning all about our options and requirements to get married soon. He is American and I am Mexican. We're considering the ramifications of getting married in Mexico, applying for the Spouse Visa, then I as a Mexican resident with a US Tourist Visa, 'visiting' my husband using that while we wait for the Spouse Visa. Can someone be kind enough to tell us if that's the way we should proceed? What is the best option for us - the Spouse Visa or the Fiancee Visa? Or, could we apply for the Direct Consular Filing?

Thanks! Blessings

mlugo

You could get married in Mexico and then file for a spousal visa (either K3 or CR1). If you are able to get a visitor's visa while you are waiting, you will be able to come to the US to visit. However your chances of getting a visitor's visa will be very slim since you will be perceived as having immigrant intent at that point. If you are able to show significant ties to Mexico (job, house, etc.) that would indicate your return, you may be able to convince them. I think it will be much easier for your husband to visit you in Mexico during that interval.

Direct consular filing will only apply if your future husband lives in Mexico for a substantial period of time. This does not seem to be the case? Does your boyfriend live in Mexico or the US?

The K1 will require that you NOT marry now, and you MUST marry in the US after you receive the visa and move to the US. During the waiting interval, a similar situation will apply regarding visitor visa. It's unlikely you would get one, since you are waiting for a K1 and hence have established immigrant intent.

Good luck, and welcome to VJ!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks! Blessings

mlugo

Here are the factors you should consider. Are you working now? Do you need to work when you arrive ASAP? Then get married in Mexico and apply for the CR-1. It takes a little longer, during which time you can visit, but when you arrive you have your green card and are ready to go to work, if that is a factor, and you can keep your job in Mexico until then.

If working right away is not an issue, then the K-1 will get you here faster...but it will be 3-6 months after you file AOS until you work, and you must get married to file AOS. We didn't delay and my wife had her green card 4 months after arrival. Also during this time you will not be able to travel outside the USA and return.

You will not be eligible for DCF unless your USC spouse has lived in Mexico for 6 months prior to applying. DCF is better for USCs who are outside the country for extended periods, like work assignments or military.

So those are the factors, k-1 is faster but you are only "half done" when you arrive and restricted until you finish AOS. CR-1 takes longer but you are finished when you arrive and can work and travel immediately. The CR-1 works out being cheaper also, by about $500 or so. In my opinion, the decision should not be about cost or speed, but what works best for you. Read the guides for details.

And during the process, there is NO restriction to visiting the USA, however, be sure to bring evidence you will be returning to Mexico. A letter from an employer granting a leave is best, home ownership papers or rental lease is good also. Round trip tickets if flying, etc. There IS a possibility they could deny entry into the USA during the process. There are some threads here describing what other people have done and how to go about travel during the process.

Thanks! Blessings

mlugo

You could get married in Mexico and then file for a spousal visa (either K3 or CR1). If you are able to get a visitor's visa while you are waiting, you will be able to come to the US to visit. However your chances of getting a visitor's visa will be very slim since you will be perceived as having immigrant intent at that point. If you are able to show significant ties to Mexico (job, house, etc.) that would indicate your return, you may be able to convince them. I think it will be much easier for your husband to visit you in Mexico during that interval.

Direct consular filing will only apply if your future husband lives in Mexico for a substantial period of time. This does not seem to be the case? Does your boyfriend live in Mexico or the US?

The K1 will require that you NOT marry now, and you MUST marry in the US after you receive the visa and move to the US. During the waiting interval, a similar situation will apply regarding visitor visa. It's unlikely you would get one, since you are waiting for a K1 and hence have established immigrant intent.

Good luck, and welcome to VJ!

Why would a Mexican national need a visitor visa? Mexicans can freely travel to the USA with a passport, no different than Canadians.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks! Blessings

mlugo

If you have not found this page at this site here is the link http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=compare#k3

There may be more paperwork with the K3 than the K1. According to the California Service Center both takes 5 months now. I met someone in the Philippines and I am going with the K1. Everyone tells me it is less hastle than the K3. I thought that a Mexican can visit the USA without a visa and vise versa. If this is true you can still visit while you wait.

4-17-2009 sent K1 Petition

5-1-2009 USCIS received petition

5-4-2009 received NOA1 notice

7-17-2009 touched

7-20-2009 NOA2 received

8-3-2009 NVC received petition

8-4-2009 NVC sent petition to Manila

9-22-2009 Medical Exam (scar on lungs) will have sputum test done

9-28-2009 K1 visa interview (canceled)

12-02-2009 call the SLMEC for sputum test report out

12-07-2009 Medical passed

12-08-2009 CFO

December 16, 2009 visa Pink Slip

December 20, 2009 entered USA

With God's blessing

Dale and Pat

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Why would a Mexican national need a visitor visa? Mexicans can freely travel to the USA with a passport, no different than Canadians.

It is completely different for Mexicans. Mexicans MUST get a visitor’s visa in order to travel to the USA. I wish it was as easy as the Canadians, but it isn’t. My soon to be father-in-law has tried six times to get a visitor’s visa and each time has been denied for not having enough ties in Mexico. His proof included 4 properties, a job as a principal, wife and kids in Mexico, bank accounts, and one of the times he applied he held a seat in the local political office and was STILL denied. It can be super tough to get a visitor’s visa. :angry:

Mlugo,

I was in the same situation I couldn’t decide between a K-1 or CR-1. It honestly just depends on your personal situation. I ended up moving to Mexico and filed for a K-1. I really didn’t want to be apart from my SO and I was in a good spot to pick up and move. So far it is working out well. While we wait for K-1 to be approved we are together and I am experiencing a new culture. What part of Mexico does your SO live in?

Andrea

Citizenship
10/07/13 - Sent N-400
10/08/13 - Received @ 11:35 a.m. @ Lewisville Lockbox

Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I don't think Mexico is treated the same as Canada. I think a visa is still required.

http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/evisas_tourist.html

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I think you're wrong about that Gary.

http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/evisas.html

Today, as in the past, most travelers to the U.S. must obtain a visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

I think you're wrong about that Gary.

http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/evisas.html

Today, as in the past, most travelers to the U.S. must obtain a visa.

Definitely wrong about that, especially with the enormous (Mexican) illegal immigration problem! My wife was denied two times on two occasions the B2 visitor visa. Not only do you need a visa to enter the US from Mexico; it is incredibly difficult to obtain. I went twice to the US embassy in Mexico City and watched a good 1 out of 20 people come out with tears in their eyes from being denied. Just a guess, but probably 15 out of 20 get denied.

...If Mexicans didn't need a visa to cross the border then half of that country would be missing.

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

pity on mexico far from god and near the usa:) this word i think was said by the Mexican president

if you are in a hurry to get your partner file for k1

if you plan for marriage so go the cr1 route better than k3 and read the guides also.

best of luck

Don't forget the costs.

The K1 is much more expensive than the CR-1 visa, not only in straight up dollars, but in the lost work time involved. You'll have to assess your own financial situation as well.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Thanks! Blessings

mlugo

If you have not found this page at this site here is the link http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=compare#k3

There may be more paperwork with the K3 than the K1. According to the California Service Center both takes 5 months now. I met someone in the Philippines and I am going with the K1. Everyone tells me it is less hastle than the K3. I thought that a Mexican can visit the USA without a visa and vise versa. If this is true you can still visit while you wait.

According to the California Service Center both takes 5 months now, in theory.

Thanks! Blessings

mlugo

According to the California Service Center both takes 5 months now, in theory.

I don't have the chance now but If I would have the chance I would go for a CR-1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Once you file K-1, you shouldn't enter the US. It's only 6 months...okay I know it long time for lovers...but it's worth the wait.

Look around on this site for more stories about coming after filing but before approval.

If she can prove ties to Mexico there is no reason why she cannot visit while the K1 is pending. Many people do it.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.