UmmSqueakster

Sending money via Western Union just got a little harder

82 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I apologize for the Faux news source, my husband got this via a CAIR email.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,201850,00.html

This is quite disturbing. We haven't send money to Egypt in awhile, so we haven't encountered anything as of yet. We have some friends in the Somali refugee community here and they send a ton of money via Western Union back home. This is going to reek havoc of the community here. :blink:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Just ridiculous and racist.

Western Union is such a rip-off anyway. I can't believe they're still in business. As you can see, competitors are already stepping into the void and providing the service without this type of discrimination.

ATM cards are much cheaper, faster, and far less hassle.

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think it's just got more difficult in general. A year ago I had no problems sending money. Now when I do I have to call Western Union, and verify that I know who I'm sending the money too! NOOO.....don't know them....I just sending money for the heck of it. :whistle:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Land of the "Free" unless you know a middle easterner...

This is getting ridiculous. I respect the need for "national security" but I think ... well nevermind.

LOL Jean! Are you feeling the freedom? ;) This year the 4th has a whole new meaning for me and I'm sorry to say, it's not a good one. Home of the Free????? Maybe if Amr had been here with me in a few months, I would change my tone. I am so upset with my country right now. The whole visa process made me open my eyes to how our country runs. We says we are not prejudice, but I have learned this is not the case. Now I am sure I will hear "It took longer because your fiance is from Egypt!" Who cares? Our country profiles INNOCENT (did you hear me say INNOCENT) people which in turn takes months and months for a visa. I still ask myself everyday why this took so long for us and why it's taking so long for other men and women with fiances/spouses from Middle Eastern/select Asian countries. When I hear it is due to the fact they are muslim, I have to sit and think. Ok, how many muslims are in the U.S, Canada, etc? They don't get checked out like others have too. Oh, I cant' forget "but their name is Mohammed!" News flash, if they pulled up my name, which is very common by the way, I'm sure there is a lot more of me then the dear Mohammeds. Sorry Jean. I don't mean to be going off on one of your post, but I'm sure you know where I am coming from. I do thank God everyday that Amr and I are finally together, but when I think about what we went through to get here, it makes me cringe.

Oh, and before I receive any nasty PMs, it is in my plan to leave the U.S permenatly in a few years. ;)

Filed: Timeline

Awww, you're fine darlin. Believe me, I understand where you are coming from. There is a lot I would like to say, but frankly after the last few weeks and all the bigotry bouncing around in this forum I'm just plain too weary to open any more doors for criticisms from "others".

Hope you and you're sweet heart and nestled in comfortably and that you and your little bundles are doing well.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Land of the "Free" unless you know a middle easterner...

This is getting ridiculous. I respect the need for "national security" but I think ... well nevermind.

LOL Jean! Are you feeling the freedom? ;) This year the 4th has a whole new meaning for me and I'm sorry to say, it's not a good one. Home of the Free????? Maybe if Amr had been here with me in a few months, I would change my tone. I am so upset with my country right now. The whole visa process made me open my eyes to how our country runs. We says we are not prejudice, but I have learned this is not the case. Now I am sure I will hear "It took longer because your fiance is from Egypt!" Who cares? Our country profiles INNOCENT (did you hear me say INNOCENT) people which in turn takes months and months for a visa. I still ask myself everyday why this took so long for us and why it's taking so long for other men and women with fiances/spouses from Middle Eastern/select Asian countries. When I hear it is due to the fact they are muslim, I have to sit and think. Ok, how many muslims are in the U.S, Canada, etc? They don't get checked out like others have too. Oh, I cant' forget "but their name is Mohammed!" News flash, if they pulled up my name, which is very common by the way, I'm sure there is a lot more of me then the dear Mohammeds. Sorry Jean. I don't mean to be going off on one of your post, but I'm sure you know where I am coming from. I do thank God everyday that Amr and I are finally together, but when I think about what we went through to get here, it makes me cringe.

Oh, and before I receive any nasty PMs, it is in my plan to leave the U.S permenatly in a few years. ;)

I'm glad to see I am not the only one cringing at "Home of the Free". How can I celebrate my freedom when I lost it when I married my husband (Ahmed). If he is a terrorist then I am a black male in a white womans disquise. Sorry...touchy subject.... :crying:

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

"Black Male" in a white woman's disquise. Could have used another analogy?

Traveled to Morocco on Aug 3rd, 2005

Got Engaged on Aug 16th, 2005

Left Morocco on Aug 19th, 2005

08-29-05 Filed I129F

01-09-06 Interview Date (9am) We were not approved today, I guess we got a 221g of the damn S. Korea Police Certificate that Casablanca said we didn't need.

03/03/06 Turn in Passport at 9am

03/15/06 Visa Issued

03/31/06 Enter USA via JFK

05/15/06 Wedding for Visa

06/10/06 Mailed AOS papers

07/06/06 Biometerics Apt

07/15/06 My offical wedding day....I know .....:-)

07/10/06 Touched

08/25/06 EAD Approvel

09/01/06 EAD in Hand

09/26/06 AOS Interview (Recommend for Approval)

10-05-06 Received Welcome Letter

10-10-06 Green Card Arrived.

We are now one9d63d28.jpg.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

that explains why it took us 5 weeks to wire money to his dad thru a bank. im sure they are doing checks on that money there too.....

duhh president bush....arabs have to pay child support too....they are just not terriosts!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Rahma ..You should try Ikobo ..It's perfect and great and cheaper than western union.

www.Ikobo.com

AOS JOURNEY:

===========

2007- April -25: AOS SENT AND FILED

2007- April -27:AOS package delivered

2007- May -05: NOA1 recieved in Mail

2007- May -23: Biometrics Appointment @ 9 Am

2007- May -15: RFE recieved

2007- June-05:RFE paper sent

2007- June-08: RFE recieved

2007- August- 08 : Interview at 10 A.M

2007- october- 04 :Card production ordered

2007-october- 05: Welcome letter recieved in mail

2007-october-11 : Approval notice sent

Filed: Timeline
Rahma ..You should try Ikobo ..It's perfect and great and cheaper than western union.

www.Ikobo.com

Wow, Salwa, thank you! This is soooo much easier and cheaper the good ole W.U. The last time I sent money for Moh's interview and expenses my online transfer was blocked and I had to call. I was not only asked to verify my information, but I felt almost interogated. I asked them if there was some problem and they said "Oh no, we just randomly check these things sometimes...<insert nervous laugh here>" Now I understand what was going on.

I like the idea of this card much better. It will solve any currency changing problems when he reaches POE too (enshaa Allah when the visa ever comes).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

CAUSE George W and his gang of Outlaws said so :lol::lol:

we had so much of our libertys taken away in the last 6 yrs. then any other time in history.

People dont relize that we are so close now to dictatorship it is not funny.. It is scary.

Yogi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.