Leyla

The MENA "Let's discuss religion and our own personal belief" thread

163 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok, I started this thread because I love talking about this topic. It was also suggested by a moderator that we do this instead of bumping into the Muslim thread.

I guess we should begin by setting a few rules/statements:

1. Please try to be mindful of others feelings. This is not a thread for bashing other religions. If you have your opinion, state it, but try not to go too far.

2. Also, :guides:. This thread has the potential to be very interesting and to promote interfaith dialogue. Do not violate the terms of use for the forums.

3. We all need to remember too that some people may state their opinions and it may not jive with our own beliefs. We need to understand that and accept that not all people believe the same way we do.

If I forgot any major rules, let me know...

With that said, bring on your questions! I'm sure there are a lot of them. This forum is filled with people of different faiths. I think we'll be surprised at how similar the faiths really are.

12531741_bodyshot_300x400.gif6783001_bodyshot_300x400.gif

th_Photo234.jpgth_n12419841_46691023_7582.jpgth_n12419841_46531579_2583.jpgth_n12419841_45773452_4168.jpg

th_l_c84498a71b1eeba4d00cd9963dd0a85a.gif

kb7wan37jt.png

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

I just thought of a question. This is a question for Christians.

I grew up in the Catholic Church, now I don't really adhere to a religion. I've studied religion and I don't really understand why Christians believe Jesus is the son of God. I know this is a staple of faith in Christianity and I don't mean to offend. Bible and I just don't find where it states that Jesus is the son of God.

I suppose a follow up question is: Assuming Jesus is the son of God, why do we need a mangod to die for our sins? and what does that mean?

:( Sorry! This is one subject I just can't understand.

th_Photo234.jpgth_n12419841_46691023_7582.jpgth_n12419841_46531579_2583.jpgth_n12419841_45773452_4168.jpg

kb7wan37jt.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi! I would love to know the answer to this question too. Then again, I am just curious for my own knowledge, and intend no dis-respect by asking. I believe every human has a right to practice his faith/religion with peace and harmony and without offending anothers.

IR5 For Parent

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I just thought of a question. This is a question for Christians.

I grew up in the Catholic Church, now I don't really adhere to a religion. I've studied religion and I don't really understand why Christians believe Jesus is the son of God. I know this is a staple of faith in Christianity and I don't mean to offend. Bible and I just don't find where it states that Jesus is the son of God.

I suppose a follow up question is: Assuming Jesus is the son of God, why do we need a mangod to die for our sins? and what does that mean?

:( Sorry! This is one subject I just can't understand.

thats an excellent question, i really would like to know the answer to that too. i have read the bible as well as the quran, that does not in anyway make me an expert!

but from what i could see from what i read God said he is the messiah, some will call him son of God. my understanding of the bible is not very good so i think this is a topic that would be of interest to everyone :)

sara

Timeline

i really hope that there are Amish, Hindu, and a few other people from different religions that i dont know much about that will come and talk about their religion, i have always been curious but never gone up and just asked them about their religion. this really is a great idea this thread and i feel will be so so interesting to learn about other peoples faith.

sara

Timeline

You could always try to ask me the Hindu questions. My University spent a lot of time discussing Hinduism and I feel confident I can give you some answers.

kb7wan37jt.png

Timeline
You could always try to ask me the Hindu questions. My University spent a lot of time discussing Hinduism and I feel confident I can give you some answers.

im just curious about the religion i dont really have any pacific questions. but they have some beautiful paintings and things of different mmm i dont know maybe the word is goddesses?

sara

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hey girls, I do have something that I looked up for you if you want to read it. It talks about Jesus being made from the spirit of God not physically made. It also speaks of references in the Quran and Bible you can refer to.

website

I don't have my Bible or Quran here to reference everything correctly so please don't take any of it as word unless you do so.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

If anyone is interested in chatting with people of diverse beliefs, the forum allbeliefs.com is a good place to start. It's a bit slow, but it has a good diverse group of people.

Put me down as your referrer - I'm "rahma" there.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok, I'll try to answer this question. Please keep in mind however that I have never studied theology, I'm basing this on my knowledge from attending a Lutheran church.

There are many places in the bible that say Jesus is the son of God. Also, Jesus himself said it many times, one of the more famous passages is when Jesus is on the cross and calls out "Father, why have you forsaken me." In my understanding however, there is no specific place that imperically says that not only is Jesus the son of God but is also God.

There are however passages which indicate this point, such as “Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say to you, before Abraham was made, I am” (John 8:58). I am is the name God gave himself.

“For a child is born to us, a son is given to us: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace." (Isaias 9:6)

“But the author of life you killed…” (Acts 3:15)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

From a lot of studying and reading, modern Christianity (post 325 AD) is the product of the Council of Nicea.

"When Constantine defeated Emperor Licinius in 323 AD he ended the persecutions against the Christian church. Shortly afterwards Christians faced a trouble from within: the Arian controversy began and threatened to divide the church. The problem began in Alexandria, it started as a debate between the bishop Alexander and the presbyter (pastor, or priest) Arius. Arius proposed that if the Father begat the Son, the latter must have had a beginning, that there was a time when he was not, and that his substance was from nothing like the rest of creation. The Council of Nicea, a gathering similar to the one described in Acts 15:4-22, condemned the beliefs of Arius and wrote the first version of the now famous creed proclaiming that the Son was "one in being with the Father" by use of the Greek word "homoousius." Found here

Some argue that this is not the case, that before the 4th century Jesus was considered the Son of God and divine. A book that I've read is called "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong - she's very well known religious writer and the book really explained Christianity, Judaism and Islam and the evolution of the religious through the last 4000 years.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
From a lot of studying and reading, modern Christianity (post 325 AD) is the product of the Council of Nicea.

"When Constantine defeated Emperor Licinius in 323 AD he ended the persecutions against the Christian church. Shortly afterwards Christians faced a trouble from within: the Arian controversy began and threatened to divide the church. The problem began in Alexandria, it started as a debate between the bishop Alexander and the presbyter (pastor, or priest) Arius. Arius proposed that if the Father begat the Son, the latter must have had a beginning, that there was a time when he was not, and that his substance was from nothing like the rest of creation. The Council of Nicea, a gathering similar to the one described in Acts 15:4-22, condemned the beliefs of Arius and wrote the first version of the now famous creed proclaiming that the Son was "one in being with the Father" by use of the Greek word "homoousius." Found here

Some argue that this is not the case, that before the 4th century Jesus was considered the Son of God and divine. A book that I've read is called "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong - she's very well known religious writer and the book really explained Christianity, Judaism and Islam and the evolution of the religious through the last 4000 years.

This is a really interesting topic. Many people believe that the council of Nicea was used to prevent the division of Rome thereby uniting the kingdom under one religion. Personally, I fall under the belief that Jesus was always divine and the Son of God but this is a very interesting topic. I don't know much about what really happened at the Council so I can't speak about that.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Yup! Me too!

i dont know about anyone else but im finding these answers very interesting.

sara

The Story of Prince & his Angel

Our Marriage in Ariana, Tunisia - May 1, 2008

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

U.S. Embassy: Tunis, Tunisia

The Journey through VSC:

I-130: June 09, 2008 to April 03, 2009

I-129F: August 5, 2008 to April 03, 2009

The Journey through NVC:

Received by NVC: April 04, 2009

Left NVC: April 13, 2009

The Journey through the Consulate:

April 24, 2009 - May 14, 2009

May 19, 2009 Interview Day @ 11:00 am - PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2009 Picked up VISA

June 26, 2009 Prince flies to America, arrives to JFK - exactly 18 months from the day we met!!

The Journey through AOS:

May 05, 2010 - mailed I-485

May 11, 2010 - text message stating application received

May 13, 2010 - NOA1 for AOS

May 17, 2010 - Biometrics letter rec'd

June 10, 2010 - Biometrics appt

August 03, 2010 - AOS @10:45 am - "conditional" approval pending corrected medical form by Civil Surgeon

Sept 8, 2010 - AOS Approved for 10 year Greencard!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.