Beau79

DENIED :( :(

62 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So my wife had her interview today at the Montreal Consulate, and everything went well until they reviewed tax returns. They said that since its tax season now, they want my 2008 tax returns. This is unfair as my tax returns are not DUE for another 2 weeks! My income was more than sufficient from 2005-2007. I'm so down. This process has taken SO long. Now have to rush my tax returns, mail them, and then sit and wait. Does anyone know what the required minimum is for a 2 person household in the U.S.? If I'm not above it, I'll need a 2nd affidavit of support. Please help...

Sure I am that this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond my endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Sorry to hear about your case....get the tax documents to the cosulate ASAP... Good Luck

:time:

*k3 Visa*

08-10-2008: NOA1

03-05-2009: NOA2

05-18-2009: K3 visa approved (Mumbai Consulate)

05-22-2009: POE LAX

*IR Visa*

07-10-2008: NOA1

03-05-2009: NOA2

08-13-2009: IR1 visa approved (Montreal, Canada)

08-15-2009: POE LAX

So my wife had her interview today at the Montreal Consulate, and everything went well until they reviewed tax returns. They said that since its tax season now, they want my 2008 tax returns. This is unfair as my tax returns are not DUE for another 2 weeks! My income was more than sufficient from 2005-2007. I'm so down. This process has taken SO long. Now have to rush my tax returns, mail them, and then sit and wait. Does anyone know what the required minimum is for a 2 person household in the U.S.? If I'm not above it, I'll need a 2nd affidavit of support. Please help...

Why would it be unfair? Providing the sponsor's current income information is part of the visa qualification process. Requesting this current information from the sponsor two weeks before the national due date to file taxes is not unreasonable. This tax filing is for income from 2008....what they have of yours is for 2007....more than a year old.

What visa has your wife applied for? Did you fill out a I-134 or I-864? The 2008 poverty guidelines state that for a household of 2, your annual income must be $14,000 (@100%) and $17,500 (@125%).

Edited by Minya's wife
funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't think your wife has been denied but you have to present proof of sufficient income to support your family when they get to the States. hope all goes well. Get things done soon! Good luck. :)

ppe47ozqawgdn.png

HappyDancer is a proud wife to a country boy in KY.

I-130 for Parents (Mom and Dad)

3.15.2014: Mailed I-130 Packet for Mom and Dad

3.21.2014: Received email notification with case # for both petitions; case forwarded to NBC for processing

3.21.2014: Check cashed

3.22.2014: Hard copy NOA1 received

4.08.2014: Both I-130 approved (notification received via email) - It only took three weeks!!!

4.11.2014: Received NOA2 approval notice in the mail.

5.01.2014: Called NVC to ask for status of paperwork. Advised they received both application on 4.28. Advised to call in 30 business days for an update.

6.02.2014: Email notification received from NVC that shows parents' NVC case number and instructions to pay AOS Fee and fill out DS 261.

6.03.2014: Paid AOS fee ($88 for both petitions)

N400:
4.26.2013: Mailed N400 Packet

5.21.2013: Biometrics

7.18.2013: Testing and Interview

9.25.2013: Oath Ceremony

Medical at St. Lukes:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/183224-experience-medical-at-st-lukes-extension-clinic/

K1 with K2 Visa Interview:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/184246-usem-interview-on-march-10-at-7am-approved/page__p__2728465#entry2728465

CFO:Review, tips and advise:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/186123-cforeview-tips-and-advise/

Timeline

Why would it be unfair? Providing the sponsor's current income information is part of the visa qualification process. Requesting this current information from the sponsor two weeks before the national due date to file taxes is not unreasonable. This tax filing is for income from 2008....what they have of yours is for 2007....more than a year old.

What visa has your wife applied for? Did you fill out a I-134 or I-864? The 2008 poverty guidelines state that for a household of 2, your annual income must be $14,000 (@100%) and $17,500 (@125%).

It's unfair that just 4 weeks ago she received information about her interview, where it was, and what to bring. If the tax returns are something they want to see, as in most up to date, one would imagine that they could have requested "bring most recent tax return documents" and this would NOT have happened. There is a due date for that reason, not everyone can have their taxes done well before the due date, especially if you own multiple businesses or have shares in corporations. Either way I've made well above the poverty guidelines and I thank you for your advice. I will keep everyone posted.

Sure I am that this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond my endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

That really sucks. I've also only sent the tax returns for 2005, 2006, and 2007. I applied for a CR1 for my wife, and if they now require me to add the 2008 papers, that will really mess things up. I currently make well over the poverty guidelines, and I also made over those numbers in 2007. But in 2008 I was out of the country most of the year. Will this ruin things and make me have to get a co-sponsor even though I currently make over the required amount? If I have to get a co-sponsor will I now have to redo all my I-864 papers so that those numbers match too? This sucks!

Timeline
That really sucks. I've also only sent the tax returns for 2005, 2006, and 2007. I applied for a CR1 for my wife, and if they now require me to add the 2008 papers, that will really mess things up. I currently make well over the poverty guidelines, and I also made over those numbers in 2007. But in 2008 I was out of the country most of the year. Will this ruin things and make me have to get a co-sponsor even though I currently make over the required amount? If I have to get a co-sponsor will I now have to redo all my I-864 papers so that those numbers match too? This sucks!

I mean, had I known that they would pull this, I would have turned my world upside to get my returns done for the interview. I would suggest you do the same, why give them the opportunity to delay things if you can avoid it. She doesn't know what I earned for 2008, so she told my wife that if I didn't make the limit, I would need a co-sponsor. I would seek professional advice or advice from members more familiar here.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

if you had your W2 or whatever W you use for 2008 plus a few recent paystubs would actually suffice...

Edited by HelloWorld08
UpdatedTimeline.jpg

It's unfair that just 4 weeks ago she received information about her interview, where it was, and what to bring. If the tax returns are something they want to see, as in most up to date, one would imagine that they could have requested "bring most recent tax return documents" and this would NOT have happened. There is a due date for that reason, not everyone can have their taxes done well before the due date, especially if you own multiple businesses or have shares in corporations. Either way I've made well above the poverty guidelines and I thank you for your advice. I will keep everyone posted.

From the I-964 instructions:

You must provide either an IRS transcript or a photocopy from your own records of your Federal individual income tax return for the most recent tax year. If you believe additional returns may help you to establish your ability to maintain sufficient income, you may submit transcripts or photo copies of your Federal individual income tax returns for the three most recent years.

The "most recent tax year" for the US is 2008. The filing due date for 2008 is April 15th, but the tax year has been over since December. I understand that some may not be able to complete their filings until the due date, or close to, but given given that the information they have for you is more than a year out-dated, and you can come up with updated information in a short period of time (you have to file in two weeks anyways) I don't think its unreasonable to request this year's tax returns.

good luck and a speedy reunion to you and your wife. :star:

-p

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

No need to mail it in. Do it online for free at www.turbotaxonline.com. It is very easy to use. Just print out a copy of your returns and send in your w-2's with it. That's all. Takes just a couple of hours and you are done. Good luck. :star:

I-130 for Two Step Children

App Recieved by USCIS: April 13, 2010

Notice Date: April 19, 2010

Notice Recieved: April 21, 2010

Touched: April 21, 2010

Touched: April 22, 2010

Approved:September 28,2010

Timeline

From the I-964 instructions:

You must provide either an IRS transcript or a photocopy from your own records of your Federal individual income tax return for the most recent tax year. If you believe additional returns may help you to establish your ability to maintain sufficient income, you may submit transcripts or photo copies of your Federal individual income tax returns for the three most recent years.

The "most recent tax year" for the US is 2008. The filing due date for 2008 is April 15th, but the tax year has been over since December. I understand that some may not be able to complete their filings until the due date, or close to, but given given that the information they have for you is more than a year out-dated, and you can come up with updated information in a short period of time (you have to file in two weeks anyways) I don't think its unreasonable to request this year's tax returns.

good luck and a speedy reunion to you and your wife. :star:

-p

On the other hand, from the Adjudicator's field manual:

The sponsor must submit with the Form I-864 the sponsor’s U.S. Federal income tax return for the most recent tax year (that is, the completed tax year immediately preceding the date the sponsor signs the Form I-864). USCIS may generally expect a sponsor, after April 15 of any given year (or April 16 or 17, in a year in which April 15 is on a Saturday or Sunday), to have completed his or her tax return for the previous year. If the sponsor requested an extension, the sponsor should provide proof of filing fo r the extension. If the sponsor did not file a tax return, the sponsor must prove that he or she was not required to file. If a sponsor should have filed, the sponsor must file retroactively and provide proof of filing. Note that U.S. citizens generally have an obligation to file a tax return on non-U.S. earnings even if there was no tax liability.

Example 1 : Sponsor signs the Form I-864 on March 1, 2006. The US Federal income tax return for 2005 is not due until April 17, 2006. Therefore, the sponsor must submit his or her 2004 U.S. Federal income tax return.

Example 2 : Sponsor signs the Form I-864 on May 5, 2006. The sponsor must submit his or her 2005 U.S. Federal income tax return.

Example 3 : Sponsor signs the Form I-864 on May 5, 2006. However, the sponsor also filed with IRS a Form 4868, obtaining an extension of the 2005 income tax filing deadline. The sponsor must submit his or her 2004 U.S. Federal income tax return.

Good luck to you OP, I hope you don't mind i'm going to post your post in the Canada forum.

Timeline
No need to mail it in. Do it online for free at www.turbotaxonline.com. It is very easy to use. Just print out a copy of your returns and send in your w-2's with it. That's all. Takes just a couple of hours and you are done. Good luck. :star:

I'm have the accountant work on this asap. I mean the good thing is that she was pretty much approved. Its just a matter of getting the paperwork done, and mailing it out and then waiting.

Thank you all for your quick help. Its much appreciated. Just about the best that can be done during times such as these.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I know its frustrating, just get them in asap. She wasnt denied, so take a breathe and relax. It will get done. :)

Email the consulate and ask if a copy of your recent w-2's and check stubs would be enough. That is worth a shot.

this has been happening all this year, actually some interviews in as early as Janurary were being told that they needed '08 returns.

Good Luck

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

But what would you suggest in my case? I didn't make over the amount for the 2008 year as I was out of the country for the majority of the year. What's the most important thing that they look at? Last year's return, or the fact that I'm currently employeed and in good standing? If this all boils down just last year's returns, I think that's so crappy because that would require me to add sponsors.

Thanks for any help guys!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.