Badgerella

DS-156/DS-156K/DS-230 Part I

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

My K-1 interview is getting closer and I've been looking into the forms I need to fill in.

In Croatia, the Embassy sends you your Packet 3 and Packet 4 together and it includes the forms that need to be brought to the interview. I received a DS-156, DS-156K and a DS-230 Part I. I've read online (both on the USEM website and here) that one needs to make sure they're filling and then turning in a valid form. The forms, also, must be in English (at least in some countries, there are 'help' forms, translated to various languages that help the applicants do the right thing). All of the forms have 'Previous editions obsolete' printed at the bottom of every page. However, the DS-156 I received is in Croatian and it expired on August 31st 2004 (information found in the upper right corner). DS-156K is full of stains, but othervise - usable and non expired (exp date: 09/30/2010). DS-230 Part I is also valid and a little bit stained (both have the weird 'mark' at the top of the sheet, that could be from either the printer or some sort of a paperclip). I only have one page of the latter, but the form itself says 'Page 1 of 4'. Is this enough, just the first page (I would assume that Part I means exactly this, just one page, but I guess one can never be sure).

I called the Embassy to ask about the expired/Croatian form and the lady said it didn't really matter much - according to her, I could either bring whatever they sent me, or print my own copies. I'd still like to do it the best possible way. So far I have learned that what I see on their website, or even hear from them, can never be 100% accurate. She said that the K-1 visas are not processed electronically and that I can't fill them in online the way I would do them prior to a B2 interview (I've applied for four visitor visas to the US in the past and I've always done my DS-156 online. After that, one is supposed to print it out and a bring a copy to the interview.)

The questions I have are the following:

1. Should I print out the forms that can be acquired online, at least the expired DS-156? That way I'd have a copy that's both in English and not expired. The size of the paper will differ from what they sent me (they use the American standards at the Embassy and I only have European printing paper).

2. Should I fill in the forms by hand, or on the computer? Does it even matter?

I also have a number of questions regarding the information I need to provide.

DS-156:

* Question #22: When do you intend to arrive in the U.S.?

On the day of my interview, I won't be able to provide an answer to this question. We plan to have me there sometime in the summer, but it could really be any date, during the validity of my K-1 visa.

* Question #26: How long do you intend to stay in the U.S.?

What does one say here? 'Forever'?

* Question #27: What is the purpose of your trip?

Here, as well?

* Question #32: Do you intend to work in the U.S.?

This one is unclear as well - yes, I do, but of course after I've been issued a permit. During my non-immigrant days (prior to the marriage and AP/AOS, of course I do not).

* Question #33: Do you intend to study in the U.S.?

Again, no, that is not the purpose of my trip and I would not, before I have adjusted my status, etc. But whether or not I ever will - I do not know. Simply - I might.

* Question #34: Names and relationships of persons traveling with you

Nobody is intending to immigrate, but I might have someone traveling with me. We plan to have my mother come to the US with me, but on the interview day, I won't know for sure. If she'll be there, it'll be a B2 trip. However, I won't know much about this a few months prior to the actual trip. If it's not my mother, it could be, basically, anyone (my fiance, perhaps, my sister..) who will decide or be able to travel with me, whenever I do.

* Question #36: Has anyone ever filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf?

No one ever has. I've only applied for B2 visas and this is my one and only K-1, ever. Considering the fact that K-1 is a nonimmigrant visa, I would assume I answer 'No' to this one.

DS-156K:

* Question #4: Marital status; d) if presently married, how will you marry your U.S. citizen fiance(e)? Explain* (*NOTE - If presently married to anyone, you are not eligible for a fiance(e) visa.

What is the purpose of this option? It does not apply to me, but.. I am curious.

One of the documents that must be attached in order to apply for a fiance(e) nonimmigrant visa is 'Evidence of Engagement to your fiance(e). What, exactly, is that? Another signed 'Intent to marry' letter? I can't think of any other evidence I could provide, that would be acceptable in form of a document. I do have a Croatian official document stating that I am single and planning to marry my fiance (both our names are listed on it) and that our marriage will be recognized by the Croatian law whenever I come here, but I assume this is not what the form wants me to provide.

I might be overcomplicating here, but I can't help it. When I see a form I need to fill in, I go - nuts. ;)

Thank you for your patience, as well as any and all help! :star:

I-129F Sent: Aug 20th 2008

Interview Date: April 8th 2009, 10:30 - APPROVED!

K-1 Visa Received: April 9th 2009

POE: Aug 8th 2009, Minneapolis

Wedding: Aug 28th 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our I-129f was approved in 107 days from our NOA1 date.

Our I-129f was approved in 114 days from our filing date.

Our case spent 52 days being chewed by NVC.

Our interview took 224 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS, AP, EAD filed: Oct 15th 2009

Biometrics: Nov 24th 2009

AP received: Dec 14th 2009

EAD received: Dec 17th 2009

Green Card received: Dec 18th 2009

http://www.badgerella.com/forum

My K-1 interview is getting closer and I've been looking into the forms I need to fill in.

In Croatia, the Embassy sends you your Packet 3 and Packet 4 together and it includes the forms that need to be brought to the interview. I received a DS-156, DS-156K and a DS-230 Part I. I've read online (both on the USEM website and here) that one needs to make sure they're filling and then turning in a valid form. The forms, also, must be in English (at least in some countries, there are 'help' forms, translated to various languages that help the applicants do the right thing). All of the forms have 'Previous editions obsolete' printed at the bottom of every page. However, the DS-156 I received is in Croatian and it expired on August 31st 2004 (information found in the upper right corner). DS-156K is full of stains, but othervise - usable and non expired (exp date: 09/30/2010). DS-230 Part I is also valid and a little bit stained (both have the weird 'mark' at the top of the sheet, that could be from either the printer or some sort of a paperclip). I only have one page of the latter, but the form itself says 'Page 1 of 4'. Is this enough, just the first page (I would assume that Part I means exactly this, just one page, but I guess one can never be sure).

I called the Embassy to ask about the expired/Croatian form and the lady said it didn't really matter much - according to her, I could either bring whatever they sent me, or print my own copies. I'd still like to do it the best possible way. So far I have learned that what I see on their website, or even hear from them, can never be 100% accurate. She said that the K-1 visas are not processed electronically and that I can't fill them in online the way I would do them prior to a B2 interview (I've applied for four visitor visas to the US in the past and I've always done my DS-156 online. After that, one is supposed to print it out and a bring a copy to the interview.)

1. Should I print out the forms that can be acquired online, at least the expired DS-156? That way I'd have a copy that's both in English and not expired. The size of the paper will differ from what they sent me (they use the American standards at the Embassy and I only have European printing paper).

I would get the new forms. Paper size should not make a difference.

It does not matter. Computer would be better.

DS-156:

On the day of my interview, I won't be able to provide an answer to this question. We plan to have me there sometime in the summer, but it could really be any date, during the validity of my K-1 visa.

After my Visa is approved and received, I will fly to the US.

For the rest of my life.

Here, as well?

To get married to my fiancee.

This one is unclear as well - yes, I do, but of course after I've been issued a permit. During my non-immigrant days (prior to the marriage and AP/AOS, of course I do not).

Yes, after I receive my work authorization.

Again, no, that is not the purpose of my trip and I would not, before I have adjusted my status, etc. But whether or not I ever will - I do not know. Simply - I might.

I may one day in the future.

Nobody is intending to immigrate, but I might have someone traveling with me. We plan to have my mother come to the US with me, but on the interview day, I won't know for sure. If she'll be there, it'll be a B2 trip. However, I won't know much about this a few months prior to the actual trip. If it's not my mother, it could be, basically, anyone (my fiance, perhaps, my sister..) who will decide or be able to travel with me, whenever I do.

No. I think they are talking about your child or children for a K-2 visa.

* Question #36: Has anyone ever filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf?

No one ever has. I've only applied for B2 visas and this is my one and only K-1, ever. Considering the fact that K-1 is a nonimmigrant visa, I would assume I answer 'No' to this one.

No.

DS-156K:

* Question #4: Marital status; d) if presently married, how will you marry your U.S. citizen fiance(e)? Explain* (*NOTE - If presently married to anyone, you are not eligible for a fiance(e) visa.

What is the purpose of this option? It does not apply to me, but.. I am curious.

I don't know about this one. I would probably answer "Not Married."

One of the documents that must be attached in order to apply for a fiance(e) nonimmigrant visa is 'Evidence of Engagement to your fiance(e). What, exactly, is that? Another signed 'Intent to marry' letter? I can't think of any other evidence I could provide, that would be acceptable in form of a document. I do have a Croatian official document stating that I am single and planning to marry my fiance (both our names are listed on it) and that our marriage will be recognized by the Croatian law whenever I come here, but I assume this is not what the form wants me to provide.

Check the Guides above. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

There are many things you need to get together and your fiancee needs to send you a lot of documents before the interview: pictures, e-mails, letters, original documents.

I might be overcomplicating here, but I can't help it. When I see a form I need to fill in, I go - nuts. ;)

Russian Fiancee - Moscow Embassy

1/27/06 Mailed I-129F to TSC and forwarded to CSC for K-1 & K-2 Visa

2/1/06 CSC received I-129F

2/7/06 Received NOA1 TSC

4/14/06 I-129F Approved

4/25/06 Received NOA2 TSC

5/12/06 Received at NVC

5/18/06 Mailed to US Embassy, Moscow

8/9/06 Physical Exams for K-1 & K-2

8/11/06 Interview Scheduled

8/11/06 VISA APPROVED

8/17/06 Visa Received

9/12/06 Flight from SVO

12/09/06 MARRIED

2/16/07 Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP

3/15/07 Biometrics scheduled (Had to Re-schedule)

3/22/07 Biometrics completed for K-1 & K-2

4/11/07 Received phone call from USCIS, Interview Scheduled, FBI check completed

4/16/07 AOS Interview, passed pending I-693A

4/16/07 Civil Surgeon completed I-693A, I-693A submitted to USCIS office

4/18/07 Notice mailed welcoming New Permanent Resident

4/19/07 Card production ordered for K-1 & K-2

4/25/07 2 Year Green Card Received dated 4/17/07

1/21/09 Mailed I-751 to VSC for K-1 & K-2

1/24/09 VSC Received I-751

1/31/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Wife

2/20/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Wife, Appt 3/2/09 Completed

2/20/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Step-daughter

2/24/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Step-daughter Appt 3/10/09 Completed

3/2/09 Mailed Wife's Passport to Houston for Renewal - Received 6/5/09

9/15/09 Interview at New Orleans Field Office

1/19/10 Eligible to file N-400 for Citizenship

Timeline

Check the Guides above. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

There are many things you need to get together and your fiancee needs to send you a lot of documents before the interview: pictures, e-mails, letters, original documents.

Thanks for your help!

We have all those things ready and my fiance will bring them here in person - he's coming to Croatia for the interview. It's just that I don't really understand what this 'Evidence of engagement to your fiance(e)' would be. Is it that 'Intent to marry' letter, or something completely different?

Also, most of the things you suggested I type in those boxes can't possibly fit in if I do it on the computer. Do I include separate sheets even for my DS-156? Uhh.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

from K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures General Discussion to US Embassy and Consulate General Discussion

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
from K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures General Discussion to US Embassy and Consulate General Discussion

Can you please move the thread back to the K-1 General discussion forum? It's a lot harder to get any and all replies here and what I am asking in the post does not have anything to do with a Consulate of any sort. It's about the forms everyone has to fill in...

Timeline
good luck

Thank you!

Timeline

One more question I am unsure about:

DS-230 Part I

* Question #23: List below all educational institutions attended. (School and location; From/To; Course of Study; Degree or Diploma)

What all does this include? Elementary, high school, college? Private additional schools? Courses that are completed outside 'regular' school, that also give me a degree of some sort? For instance, for 17 years I attended English lessons at a private language school. I have a diploma, as well as a diploma/degree issued by the Cambridge University in the UK. Does this go on the list, too? Considering the fact there are only four lines on the actual form, and if all my education is to be listed, I won't have enough room to list them all. Do I add an additional sheet, the way we did for our I-129f and the other forms that were sent to the USCIS?

Edited by Badgerella

Timeline

Anyone?

One more question I am unsure about:

DS-230 Part I

* Question #23: List below all educational institutions attended. (School and location; From/To; Course of Study; Degree or Diploma)

What all does this include? Elementary, high school, college? Private additional schools? Courses that are completed outside 'regular' school, that also give me a degree of some sort? For instance, for 17 years I attended English lessons at a private language school. I have a diploma, as well as a diploma/degree issued by the Cambridge University in the UK. Does this go on the list, too? Considering the fact there are only four lines on the actual form, and if all my education is to be listed, I won't have enough room to list them all. Do I add an additional sheet, the way we did for our I-129f and the other forms that were sent to the USCIS?

You are well-schooled; moreso than most applicants, I suspect. But yes, I would include high school, college, anything that has an actual degree or diploma associated with it at completion. Should be formal schooling. If not enough room, instructions say to attach additional sheets, but maybe you can rationalize the best 4?

Good luck

I would get the new forms. Paper size should not make a difference.

It does not matter. Computer would be better.

DS-156:

After my Visa is approved and received, I will fly to the US.

For the rest of my life.

Here, as well?

To get married to my fiancee.

Yes, after I receive my work authorization.

I may one day in the future.

No. I think they are talking about your child or children for a K-2 visa.

No.

DS-156K:

I don't know about this one. I would probably answer "Not Married."

I think John has offered good advice here. I would also add that DS-230 was just updated in February and changed a fair bit. Now rev 02-2009, previous editions obsolete.

Which document is evidence of engagement to your fiance(e)? does it have a document number?

Timeline
I think John has offered good advice here. I would also add that DS-230 was just updated in February and changed a fair bit. Now rev 02-2009, previous editions obsolete.

Which document is evidence of engagement to your fiance(e)? does it have a document number?

Thanks for your help. I'll look into the new, updated DS-230 when I get home from work. In my posts, I was referring to the old one, the one the Embassy sent me. The 'Evidence of Engagement to your Fiance(e) thing did not have a number attached to it, but I don't have the form handy here at work and therefore can't check either.

As for the school-related question, I don't think I'll be able to squeeze in all the schools I've attended, so an additonal sheet might be made.

• 1 month later...
i'm looking for an answer to the evidence of engagement point also, i had assumed it was a new letter of intent? we also have ring receipts etc to show at the interview.

Both of those should work.

We included updated letters of intent with Packet 3.

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
i'm looking for an answer to the evidence of engagement point also, i had assumed it was a new letter of intent? we also have ring receipts etc to show at the interview.

Both of those should work.

We included updated letters of intent with Packet 3.

thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.