coldwatersurf

ABOUT GARDASIL VACCINE

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I asked around about the ruling for Gardasil since you have to take it in 3 shots and a couple months apart.

This is what the Vancouver Consulate had to say:

It is not mandatory to have all vaccines completed for the K visa process. However, you should inquire with our panel physician for information and requirements.

This is what Laura from Vancouver Medical Lab had to say after forwarding Vancouver Consulate's answer (@ first she said it was mandatory to get all the shots before the medical exam):

that is no problem but just to let you know if you are planning on changing

your status once you move to the states and before you turn 26 you will be

required as we have inquired into this.

This is what NVC had to say when I called:

We cannot provide you with this information as we do not process Adjustment of Status at this office. You will need to call USCIS.

My husband called USCIS and this is what they told him:

We have no information to provide you about the vaccines and medical requirements :blink: and he even asked it in different forms of questions. They weren't spillin the beans.

So I had him call Civil Surgeons in Washington. The civil surgeon office in Tacoma said:

Your wife can start the series of shots in Canada. She does not have to complete all shots to be able to apply for her Adjustment of Status. However, she should continue taking the series of shots.

And I called & emailed the BC Disease Control in Vancouver and asked them some questions, here is an answer from the email:

The two places you can purchase the HPV vaccine, beyond your family physician, is from Options for Sexual health at 731-4252 and at the Travel Clinic. We do not yet give the vaccine here as we are working on the financials to do so, but will commence soon. You are requesting a shortened series, which can be done at 0, 1 month and 4 months. That is the minimum time listed on the product monograph. Anything other than that would need to be a discussion with your physician or the physician at OPT or Travel clinic.

When I asked for a prescription from my doctor, she said it shouldnt be necessary for me to take the shots as I am almost 26 and married. It should be "recommended" by the Immigration and people shouldnt get a shot if they dont want it. it wouldnt do me any good as I wont have the full benefit as it would be another year when I turn 27. but, i told her i need to at least get one so i can get started. She is not arguing if the vaccine is good or not, she just thinks I shouldnt waste my money buying all 3 shots if i dont need it.

As for the prices in Vancouver:

I called Walmart and they said one shot i believe is around $147 each + dispensing fee if you buy them one by one. and it would be less if i get all 3 as the dispensing fee will just be one time.

Also called Shoppers drug mart and they said the shot is $161 each but to make sure with your doctor that the prescription says you can have all three at time of prescription pick up if you want to purchase all 3 at the same time.

I guess the only difference is the dispensing fee for different pharmacies.

I also inquired at one of the safeway in washington and it is approx $171 per shot.

So....

I hope this brings you guys a lot of info. I just needed to hear answers from all the parties that are included in my immigration journey. I thought i'd share it as I find it interesting from all sides of the party.

I hope this post doesnt spark up a debate. :P

Edited by borderdriver

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, that is definitely a different answer than I got a year ago from the Vancouver Consulate. They told me that it was absolutely mandatory to meet all the vaccine requirements in order to be issued a visa. Maybe it's different because I was on a K1 visa instead of a K3 visa! Strange though! I was only 2 months away from turning 27 so I felt like it was pointless to have a vaccine that I didn't want!

That's good news to know. I think everyone should email the consulate if they have that question though, just so that they have the email "proof" if you know what I mean! That way you can have backup if you show up to the interview/medical without your vaccines all done!

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think when the consulate said K visa its for both K1 and K3. when I asked them if all 3 gardasil vaccination was mandatory in my case (and i explained that if it was, then I have to wait until i finish all of them to be able to book an interview-which is like 6 months!) .. that was the answer i got :)

it is good to have written answers. That is definitely what I'm going to ask for with the civil surgeons when I process my AOS :P

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.