Heracles

Hispanics one-fifth of K-12 students

46 posts in this topic

By Hope Yen, Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Roughly one-fourth of the nation's kindergartners are Hispanic, evidence of an accelerating trend that now will see minority children become the majority by 2023.

Census data released Thursday also showed that Hispanics make up about one-fifth of all K-12 students. Hispanics' growth and changes in the youth population are certain to influence political debate, from jobs and immigration to the No Child Left Behind education, for years.

The ethnic shifts in school enrollment are most evident in the West. States such as Arizona, California and Nevada are seeing an influx of Hispanics due to immigration and higher birth rates.

Minority students in that region exceed non-Hispanic whites at the pre-college grade levels, with about 37% of the students Hispanic. Hispanics make up 54% of the students in New Mexico, 47% in California, 44% in Texas and 40% in Arizona.

In 2007, more than 40% of all students in K-12 were minorities — Hispanics, blacks, Asian-Americans and others. That's double the percentage of three decades ago.

In colleges, Hispanics made up 12% of full-time undergraduate and graduate students, 2% more than in 2006. Still, that is short of Hispanics' 15% representation in the total U.S. population.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/200...cs_N.htm?csp=34

Of course. Interesting how no one makes a study about how much each ethnicity financially contributes to the education system. My bet is that even though whitey is becoming a minority, they still fund the majority of Hispanics kid's educations.

Personal observation: We are in a recession and the only demographic I see when out with 3 to 5 kids is Hispanic women. I had to laugh the other day when a Hispanic lady had her young kid pushing her 2nd pram. Can't pop them out fast enough.

Edited by Aficionado

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

WASHINGTON — Roughly one-fourth of the nation's kindergartners are Hispanic, evidence of an accelerating trend that now will see minority children become the majority by 2023.

Census data released Thursday also showed that Hispanics make up about one-fifth of all K-12 students. Hispanics' growth and changes in the youth population are certain to influence political debate, from jobs and immigration to the No Child Left Behind education, for years.

The ethnic shifts in school enrollment are most evident in the West. States such as Arizona, California and Nevada are seeing an influx of Hispanics due to immigration and higher birth rates.

Minority students in that region exceed non-Hispanic whites at the pre-college grade levels, with about 37% of the students Hispanic. Hispanics make up 54% of the students in New Mexico, 47% in California, 44% in Texas and 40% in Arizona.

In 2007, more than 40% of all students in K-12 were minorities — Hispanics, blacks, Asian-Americans and others. That's double the percentage of three decades ago.

In colleges, Hispanics made up 12% of full-time undergraduate and graduate students, 2% more than in 2006. Still, that is short of Hispanics' 15% representation in the total U.S. population.

Of course. Interesting how no one makes a study about how much each ethnicity financially contributes to the education system. My bet is that even though whitey is becoming a minority, they still fund the majority of Hispanics kid's educations.

Personal observation: We are in a recession and the only demographic I see when out with 3 to 5 kids is Hispanic women. I had to laugh the other day when a Hispanic lady had her young kid pushing her 2nd pram. Can't pop them out fast enough.

Please post real data, not "your bet"

That comment is completely idiotic until proven with facts, in El Paso we are 80% hispanic and it is unreal to think that 20% of that population finances the rest, get real and stop posting bull #######.

Edited by TävôLuDô

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline

You are such a trip.

FYI: I only have one kid,thank you !

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

That comment is completely idiotic until proven with facts, in El Paso we are 80% hispanic and it is unreal to think that 20% of that population finances the rest, get real and stop posting bull #######.

Probably why it is such a shithole.

If you notice I did ask why nobody studies that. The facts are there after all.

You are such a trip.

Your also not from Mexico, Honduras, Porto Rico etc

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline

You are such a trip.

Nope,I'm 3rd generation Panamanian.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Interesting how no one makes a study about how much each ethnicity financially contributes to the education system..

Riiight..

Just in case you haven't noticed this is not the UK. We are a user-pays system. So why should I fund people who want to have 3 to 5 kids yet cannot afford to have them.

I have spoken to a lot of teachers from various schools and the one thing that is common is that the majority of Hispanic kids they have there are on free or reduced lunches. That makes 6 teachers and 3 administrators all in different counties and states throughout the country. But hey what do they know, I am sure you will tell them otherwise.

Oh I forgot, according to you there is no such thing as cultural differences.

Edited by Aficionado

Nope,I'm 3rd generation Panamanian.

Your not the stereotypical Northern Latino and your logical posts show that.

I have a lot of Latino friends from the Southern part of the continent and they are completely different to the stereotypical northern Latino. Actually a lot of them cannot stand them and have quite a few 'colorful' words for to describe them.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Interesting how no one makes a study about how much each ethnicity financially contributes to the education system..

Riiight..

Just in case you haven't noticed this is not the UK. We are a user-pays system. So why should I fund people who want to have 3 to 5 kids yet cannot afford to have them.

I have spoken to a lot of teachers from various schools and the one thing that is common is that the majority of Hispanic kids they have there are on free or reduced lunches. That makes 6 teachers and 3 administrators all in different counties and states throughout the country. But hey what do they know, I am sure you will tell them otherwise.

Who says you should?

Who says you are?

Of course as we well know there is an ethnic component to poverty, quite how this translates to public policy is something of an open question.

But if your suggestion is that you shouldn't have to pay for people of ethnicity - that's well... bizarre..

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You are such a trip.

It is YOU ARE or YOU'RE by the way

Show me the facts and then open your mouth, your opinion, your bet, what you "think" is STUPID until you show me that the majority of white people finance the schools of those towns where the majority of the students are Hispanic.

You are generalizing that the majority of Hispanics don't pay taxes or pay just a few bucks, I've lived not only in El Paso but also in the other parts of the US (with high concentration of hispanics, blacks and whites) and I've paid taxes, MY family pays taxes and my friends DO pay taxes.

Your tiny biased brain doesn't process that information because you think that Hispanics are the same (illegal or poor), you tend to put yourself above others; above Americans, above British, above everybody because you think that Australia is the sh!t move other there if you like it so much and stop babbling so much bull, personally I think your perfect life is a lie...and YOU know it.

Now go and play with your toys and let the adults have an unbiased conversation, GROW UP.

Edited by TävôLuDô

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Now go and play with your toys and let the adults have an unbiased conversation, GROW UP.

The second you see anything about Mexico you go on the defense yet accuse me of being biased. The rest is not even worth reposting as it is your usual rubbish.

PS Where are your facts to prove otherwise dh?

Edited by Aficionado

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh noes the mexicans are clogging up the schools and taking jobs from hard working white hooded americans. Oops, I meant red-blooded americans.

You should see it here in Los Angeles. The school district encompasses a wide aray of socioeconomic areas. One area in particular, Westchester California. It is a very affluent area within LAUSD, yet only 5% of the students at this large high school are from the local area. See, in LA, you can go to any school within the district. So, the people of Westchester send their kids to private school and are stuck paying for the education of others. Is that fair to them? No. Is that fair on a macro level though? I think it is.

What I want to see is a study of how much your Northern Mexican Latinos contribute in taxes when compared to other ethnicities.

I would also like to see how many kids the various ethnicities are each having.