tapas777

Two immigration files

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi all,

I am an Egyptian physician, currently studying in Canada. I intend to apply for the PR card (permanent residence card) in Canada. I am also eligible to apply for immigration to the USA as my wife is an American citizen.

Can I have to immigration files to different countries at the same time?

Which one should I start with?

Regards

Ahmed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
triplicate posting
Yep! SEE http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=182233

Moving this to the regional forum to get it off the homepage.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Do you think the parallel immigration applications to US and Canada will not conflict with each other?

How can I maintain the credibility that I intend to immigrate to US, especially with having an immigration file open in Canada?

triplicate posting

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Do you think the parallel immigration applications to US and Canada will not conflict with each other?

How can I maintain the credibility that I intend to immigrate to US, especially with having an immigration file open in Canada?

triplicate posting

Choose which country you wish to be a resident of for some time, then file for residency of just that country.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

So do u think that both applications at the same time will cause a conflict ?

triplicate posting

Choose which country you wish to be a resident of for some time, then file for residency of just that country.

Suggest a MOD combine/merge all these threads...this is ridiculous having 3 or more threads on the same exact thing... :wacko:

Edited by Karin und Otto

So do u think that both applications at the same time will cause a conflict ?

What do you think honestly? By applying for permanent residency in Canada, you're in effect signaling to the Canadian immigration authorities that if approved you plan on settling and living there 'permanently', while if you apply at the same time for permanent residency in the USA, you're saying the same thing to USCIS. So how could those two applications at the same time not conflict?

You must decide which country will be your place of residency and apply for permission there.

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You have to think that some (like the US one...though I'm sure Canada's does too) requires you to live in the country for awhile...like you can't live abroad for more than like 2 years or something. So if you aren't planning on actually living in the country any time soon, theres no point in putting in for residency, because you won't be a resident and you will have to do it all over if approved. I would just do the one where you are living now and then do the other if you should need to move.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Hi all,

I am an Egyptian physician, currently studying in Canada. I intend to apply for the PR card (permanent residence card) in Canada. I am also eligible to apply for immigration to the USA as my wife is an American citizen.

Can I have to immigration files to different countries at the same time?

Which one should I start with?

Regards

Ahmed

Apply for your permanent residency permit in Canada. THEN being the process for immigrating to the US. Or you could be a physician in Canada and your wife could immigrate to Canada.

All the best!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

To answer your question - probably. However, unless you are going to be able to juggle the residency requirements - it would be a waste of time.

Let's separate the two, as they have different sets of rules attached to them (briefly):

Canadian PR .

If you have been a permanent resident for less than five years:

show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days physical presence in Canada at the 5-year mark.

If you have been a permanent resident for five years or more:

have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past 5 years.

So basically, if there were some way that you could prove that you are able to meet the 730 days of physical presence at the 5 year mark beforehand - will you be living in Canada for at least 730 days over the next five years and be able to prove it when it comes time to renew your PR card? If not, I wouldn't bother applying at this point, you will be wasting your money.

U.S. PR

Maintaining Permanent Resident Status

Permanent residents who depart and remain outside the U.S. for more than 365 contiguous days risk losing their status and might need to undergo the entire petition and immigrant visa process anew if they wish to re-enter the U.S. as permanent residents. Permanent residents who obtain re-entry permits from USCIS prior to their departure from the U.S. may remain overseas for up to 2 years. Permanent residents who fail to file income tax returns while living outside the U.S. or who declare themselves as "non-immigrants" on tax returns may also lose their status

Timeline

The question is, ' Do both governments share information about immigrants?

To answer your question - probably. However, unless you are going to be able to juggle the residency requirements - it would be a waste of time.

Let's separate the two, as they have different sets of rules attached to them (briefly):

Canadian PR .

If you have been a permanent resident for less than five years:

show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days physical presence in Canada at the 5-year mark.

If you have been a permanent resident for five years or more:

have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past 5 years.

So basically, if there were some way that you could prove that you are able to meet the 730 days of physical presence at the 5 year mark beforehand - will you be living in Canada for at least 730 days over the next five years and be able to prove it when it comes time to renew your PR card? If not, I wouldn't bother applying at this point, you will be wasting your money.

U.S. PR

Maintaining Permanent Resident Status

Permanent residents who depart and remain outside the U.S. for more than 365 contiguous days risk losing their status and might need to undergo the entire petition and immigrant visa process anew if they wish to re-enter the U.S. as permanent residents. Permanent residents who obtain re-entry permits from USCIS prior to their departure from the U.S. may remain overseas for up to 2 years. Permanent residents who fail to file income tax returns while living outside the U.S. or who declare themselves as "non-immigrants" on tax returns may also lose their status

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you read any of the posts in this thread? Are you really just waiting for a YES or NO response? I seriously doubt that you'd be able to fulfill the requirements to prove permanent residency concurrently in two countries as Trailmix pointed out the guidlines for. Just pick a country. Or do what Carla suggested and apply for and gain permanent residency in Canada first, then apply for U.S..

But just in case you really are just looking for a yes or no response....... I seriously doubt that the U.S. and Canadian governments share application data.

Edited by Rob and Mel

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
The question is, ' Do both governments share information about immigrants?

If you want to be sure, why don't you call USCIS and CIS and ask?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

My husband was going to do the same thing. The reasoning being, if he got the Canadian PR and for some reason our petition was denied, he would have the PR in Canada already and be able to petition me to come to Canada instead. Waiting to get the Canadian PR first and then me petitioning him to come to the U.S. would add too much extra time, especially when you consider it will probably be a year before he gets to come here, especially with all the AP going on with the people from middle eastern countries.

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.