Shari

GUYS: Taking a temporary/low paying job while waiting on permanent one . . .

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
:goofy: I know there must be many others in this boat, but guys, what kind of jobs have you taken on a temporary basis until you found a permanent one? My husband is so down and depressed as he is getting no responses (like everyone else), but finances are almost nil. He even sent resumes to the temporary agencies (Manpower) who have not gotten back with him. Is the only solution retail (Walmart, etc.)? He is a 40-something year old engineer who has had his spirit broken, or as he said today, his "soul destroyed" because no one is getting back to him. Yes, we know it takes time. That is hard when groceries need to be bought for a family of 5, gas needs to be purchased for cars, and bills need to be paid. He is on the computer at LEAST 6 hours a day checking job sites, applying for jobs, and searching, searching, searching. I know he knows he has to find ANYTHING now, but I also hate him having to do something so way below his qualifications (not that there is anything wrong with retail at all). So guys - what have you done in the interim - stocked, delivered pizzas, ran a cash register, etc.? Are they any more "manly" jobs out there that I haven't thought about for interim jobs. I hate he is so sad!!!!!!!!!! :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

04/08/05 . . . . Sent I-129F to TSC

08/31/05 . . . . London Interview - APPROVED

AOS PROCESS:

10/06/05 . . . . Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

05/16/06 . . . . APPROVED.

REMOVING CONDITIONS PROCESS:

03/03/08 . . . . Sent I-751 packet to TSC.

02/27/09 . . . . APPROVED.

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

05/21/12 . . . . Sent N-400 packet to Dallas lockbox

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It was very hard for my husband too. His degree was in Computer engineering and we sent well over 30 applications with 0 return calls. Finally he went for an interview at a temporary place and can you believe they didn't call him. We feel so lucky about the job he ended up with, even though he is way overqualified for it. He is doing computer technical support. During his first week one of the veteran employees at his work asked him if he new what a keyboard was. haha. Anyway he is using the job as a stepping stone, but it has been hard.

K3

10-xx-04 I129 sent

05-xx-05 NOA1 from USCIS - Aproved - Abandoned for Cr1

CR1

11-15-04 I-130 sent

12-10-04 NOA 1 fee changed had to resend info with new fee

12-11-04 Resend case with new fee

02-14-05 NOA 2 I-130 Case aproved and sent to NVC

02-25-05 NVC received case

03-21-05 Received I-864 fee bill

03-22-05 Sent $70 I-864 payment to

04-16-05 Received IV fee bill

04-17-05 Sent $ 380 IV payment to NVC

05-02-05 Received I-864 packet from NVC

05-02-05 Sent I-864 packet to NVC

05-11-05 NVC received IV payment

05-16-05 NVC sent third packet

05-25-05 Received DS-230 and third packet instructions

06-06-05 NVCReceived DS-230 per fed ex confirmation

06-07-05 NVC Enters DS-230 information in system

waiting waiting waiting

06-20-05 Case Completed!!!!!!!yipee.

waiting for interview date.............

7-26-05 Baby born!!!! yaya

8-15-05 Interview set for 9-29-05

9-29-05 Interview suck they want more proof

10-20-05 second interview

10-24-05 yaya haleloujhya finally got it.

10-28-05 going to meet husband in New York. yayayaya

10-30-05 Home!!!!

Lifting Conditions

7-28-07 Mailed form I751 and supporting documents. $275 (Old fee!!!!!Yipee!!!)

8-17-07 Check cleared my account.

8-20-07 Touched

8-30-07 Received Biometric apointment letter.

9-11-07 Biometrics Apointment

9-22-07 Received letter of approval

9-24-07 Received GC Whoo hoo done for 10 years!!!

09-20-09 Sent N-400 for Citizenship

11-01-09 Bio

01-11-10 Passed Interview

01-16-10 Received notice for swearing in ceremony

02-03-10 Swearing in ceremony

Filed: Timeline

My wife is working in retail while she looks for better work and prepares for the test required to start the process of becoming a teacher. But she's relatively young and has done this kind of work in the recent past, so that's not what has hurt her ego. What's hurt her ego is that she's making less now than she did before and that pisses her off bigtime.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It has only been a few short weeks since your husband got his EAD and I think he just needs to keep doing what he's doing and one day, he'll get two offers.... that's always how it goes.

It took me 4 months to get my first job in the U.S. after getting my EAD, and then the pay was low, but I took it just to get out of the house and help with the household expenses.

Now, I'm looking again and have had several calls back, but the pay has been so bad, I won't even consider it. I made FABULOUS money in Canada working in a union paid health care position, and it's very hard to work for so much less here.

All I keep telling myself is, we will survive even if I don't work, so a job that is fulfilling and gets me out and about is all I need right now.

Good luck with the job hunt.... don't give up.... something will come along.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

During his first week one of the veteran employees at his work asked him if he new what a keyboard was. haha. Anyway he is using the job as a stepping stone, but it has been hard.

Haha. Man. Someone at church tried to explain to my husband how the powerpoint came from a computer from that "box in the balcony." If they only knew that being from Africa does not mean you've never seen technology before. He's much more sophisticated than me (in thechnology) and I'm not that bad.

Try other temp agencies. My husband is the employee of at least 6 agencies. That way, if the 2-3 month jobs he has doesn't work out...he has alot to fall back on. Some of the temp agencies were great and some sucked. The main thing is not to get too discouraged.

February 17, 2005--mailed in I 129F to CSC!

February 24, 2005--1st NOA

March 15, 2005--2nd NOA

April 11, 2005--Fiance receives Packet 3

May 19, 2005 Fax Checklist(Nigeria police report finally arrives)

June 6, 2005-- Interview Date!!!!Visa approved!!

June 18, 2005--Fiancee arrives in Hawaii!

August 14, 2005--wedding in Oregon

September 12, 2005--sent in AOS

September 20, 2005--1st NOA AOS

September 23, 2005--Walk-in biometrics completed

October 1, 2005--fingerprints received/processing resumed

November 26, 2005--EAD card received in mail

June 7, 2006--contact senators about AOS

June 28, 2006--senator says interview date is for August 14!!

August 14, 2006--AOS interview and 1 year wedding anniversary

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I can so relate to your husband's feelings; it's just not guys that feel this way! Some of my readjustment issues have to do with the fact that I can't work in my chosen field without recertification which will cost me almost $1000. This is ridiculous, cause the more I find out about the NY education system, the more I realize that Ontario's is far superior, yet everyone here assumes that no one can compare to here. What they don't realize is that of course no one can compare, cause it's so bad!.......sorry, off topic. On top of that, the pay/benefits for teachers come nowhere near to comparison to Ontario.

Anyhow, for finances, and self esteem, and just to get out of the house, I worked at a dog kennel 3+ days a week, cleaning them out, feeding, grooming, etc. By the end I was fuming that here I have all this education and I'm mucking out dog runs. Now in my new job, I'm highly overqualified, basically babysitting after school as the director of an afterschool program. I really resent it already and want to quit, but I know in the long run that I have to stick it out till the end of June at least, until my certification is processed.

I think it's tough for professionals who have trained, had an established career with all the rewards that go along with it, and then come here and get treated like uneducated nobodies.

Heading Home!

Naturalization

Feb 28/2011 - sent paperwork

Mar 3/11 - received text & email notification - they have it!

Mar 15/11 - text, email, and notice sent - biometrics booked

April 12/11 - biometrics done - I start studying

May - get the letter

June 27 - Interview and oath ceremony - same day

Lifting Conditions

Feb 5/08 - Sent paperwork by USPS - priority

Feb 14/08 - NOA issued

Feb 28/08 - Biometrics letter received for The Bronx Office - have to reschedule

Mar 22/08 - Biometrics rescheduled - LOVE the Saturday appointment!

Feb ?/09 - done!

I'M HIGHLY OPINIONATED WHEN I WANT TO BE, BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS RIGHT

I can relate to how you feel Shari. Until I got my job about 2 months ago we got to the stage where we literally had $30 in the bank and had the everyday bills to pay. I registered with probably a dozen agencies and online with Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com etc and actually most of my job leads came from those websites. It did take a couple of weeks for people to start getting back to me once I had registered my resume but once the calls started coming they didn't stop and I was fortunate enough to be able to turn down four opportunities before finally accepting this job which is the mostly highly paid of all the offers I had.

My husband was unemployed for 18 months before we married which led to major financial problems but when I suggested he take "any old job" just to pay the bills, he wouldn't do it.

I guess it's each to their own and maybe women are different to men in that regard, but I think you'll find if Keith is able to broaden his scope of potential opportunities to more agencies, websites, maybe even do some in-person introductions in local companies he will soon get a job he enjoys and which will help you pay those bills. Tell him to "work" his English accent! That seems to be one thing that all companies comment on - they see it as a bonus!

Hope it all works out and that your worries begin to diminish.

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Filed: Other Timeline

Yeah, it's probably more of an ego-buster for guys, especially the more mature ones like Keith and my husband.

But how easy is it for a USC to find a job these days? Not easy. Doable, but not easy.

Mark (luv2teach) talks a lot about networking, and I think that's the key. USC or immigrant. I am not a 'computer person' but I have tried hard to tap all my 'tekkie' friends and acquantainces for sources for Wes. And I am not one bit shy about it - I'm polite but I make no bones about how we need the help. And most people are glad to give it.

What Wes might have to end up doing in the interim I have no idea. He has told me he will work in WalMart if he has too. As far as I am concerned, that makes me just as proud of him as if he landed a big job.

I can relate to this thread. I have been in IT for 28 years, everything from computer operator to Novell Certification Manager. Currently working on the grill in McDonalds for $6 an hour. Hardest job I've ever had (and I worked a lot of jobs before getting into IT). 'Flipping' burgers may seem easy but being bent over that grill for 8 hours at a stretch kills the back. After two hours the upper back starts to burn (I am over 6 feet tall) and then the feet and legs come out in protest too - man it is a long, long day. I get home around 4:30pm most days and just collapse into a bath, absolutely cream-crackered. I am registered with most of the popular job sites and keep submitting applications for any IT jobs, anywhere in the US, that I believe I am qualified for. Had nothing yet (after two months of trying) but I figure that the more applications you sling in the more chance there is of getting a nibble. I passed all the tests for working at an aluminum plant (Alcoa) so am now just waiting for new vacancies to appear there. It will be 12 hour night shifts hauling aluminum extrusions around but it's $14 an hour plus 53 cents an hour shift differential so at least it will be a lot more money than at McDonalds. That will do (if it don't kill me) until I can hopefully get something in IT again.

The things we do for love! :thumbs:

Dave

PS: The sodding ignition lock broke in my sodding Chevy Corsica yesterday and it is no easy task to fit a new ignition cylinder so as I am due to work this weekend, my McDonalds career might be coming to an abrupt end if I can't get the local mechanic to look at it this morning before work.

Linda & Dave's Timeline

*** Early dates removed due to size of sig ***

May 05 2005 - Visa interview scheduled in London [APPROVED!!!!]

Jun 08 2005 - Flew into JFK

Jun 28 2005 - Married!!!

Aug 04 2005 - Sent off AOS

Aug 09 2005 - NOAs for AOD

Dec 01 2005 - Infopass app in Philly: approved and issued and EAD. Biometrics done!!

Dec 16 2005 - case transferred to CSC

Dec 27 2005 - pass my driving test and get LICENSED!!!!

Feb 2006 - Conditional Green Card received

Mar 21 2006 - start first job, IT contractor

Jul 31 2006 - Job becomes permanent

Jan 02 2008 - Submitted I-751

Jan 28 2008 - I-751 NOA received

Feb 29 2008 - Biometrics

Jan 05 2009 - Approved!!!

Filed: Timeline

I worked in a sandwich shop for a few weeks - started just after I got my EAD. Sure, I was earning way less than I should have been, doing a job with frankly stupid people, but I had fun (catering is hard on the body though...get good shoes).

I made sure I had a part time flexible job though so that I could go to interviews. The first job I interviewed for I got and I'm very very happy with it. Again, I could be earning more, but the benefits are outstanding and more than make up for it.

BTW I never used online job search engines...they are ####### for the most part. I looked in the local papers and got in contact with companies etc I knew were local. That was by far the best way to do it, much more personal because it allows you submit cover letters aswell which is very important.

hope this helps.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

LOL I think a few people know my story about applying for simple stocking jobs at retails stores and being turned down.

I've registered with Kelly Services and have heard nothing despite having worked for Kelly Services in the past in Canada. They are constantly advertising for office jobs which I definitely have the qualifications for.

One time while in a retail store I noticed a "Help Wanted" sign in the window. I made an inquiry with the two older clerks standing at the register about it and was told the manager would be in on "such and such a day". I mentioned that I had no retail experience and asked if that would be a hindrance. Next thing I knew the one woman looked at the other and said, "Hmmm I think (first name of manager given) may already have someone in mind. HUH?

I went and applied at a local police department, had a great interview and felt great coming out afterall I had worked for two police offices in Canada. I got a rejection there. Ok fair enough, I realize maybe someone better qualified got the job or possibly someone knew someone. Some months later the same position came up and I applied again (shows I'm really interested right?) and this time around I was not even acknowledged. The police department had no problem taking me on as a volunteer. Imagine that.

This past Tuesday, I applied for a job with a local investigation services agency. I had an over the telephone interview and was told after the interview by the woman who interviewed me that she would call me back on Friday to set up a face to face interview. Never heard from her despite sitting in all day long waiting for the call. Ok I'll give her the benefit of the doubt; perhaps she was sick, perhaps she got really busy and will call Monday.

There are two openings for an attendance secretary in two high schools. Off I go to submit my cover letters, applications and resumes on Monday.

Oh and yes I did get hired by Wal-Mart back in October 2003 and quit after two days. I had never quit a job in my life because it was that bad.

I refuse to give in. I will get a job!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If at all possible, I would avoid Wal-Mart. Pay is very low with no benefits. If you are considering retail, then a grocery store (like Safeway) is a lot better in terms of pay and benefits. These types of jobs are often called "survival job" -- and a lot of highly qualified people had to take them during the recent downturn.

If I had to take one, I would probably look at places that I enjoy. If your husband likes coffee, for example, then he could look at Startbucks or Peet's. Another job that may be okay is a bank teller -- I worked as one for about 6 months, and although I did not quite like it, the working conditions are decent, and they even offered health insurance.

As another poster suggested the key is to get a job that would still allow you to look for the "real" job, so you don't get stuck in it.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

There is not to many jobs here to choose from either. :no:

So its going to be either a Bank, Conference Call Center, or Fast Food joints or Walmart for me. I dont really care where I work to start. I just want to get out of this house and work and meet some new people. :yes:

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

It has definitely bruised my husband's ego. He's a carpenter, and unfortunately, most jobs require a driver's license (still working on that), your own truck (which we can't afford right now), and your own tools (most of his are back in the UK and due to finances, we can't afford a lot of the more expensive ones). It's very frustrating to know that my husband is extremely talented and a hard worker, and see the doors slammed in his face before he can even knock. Right now, he's taken a position doing construction, which he seems to enjoy for the most part, but for which he is grossly underpaid.

Edited by sweetestcherry

12/06/07 I-751 application sent

12/08/07 I-751 application received at VSC

12/10/07 Check cashed

12/17/07 NOA1 received

01/22/08 Biometrics Appointment

01/23/08 Touched

12/29/08 Contacted USCIS Customer Service for inquiry

02/19/09 Requested formal inquiry by Senator Arlen Specter

04/03/09 Card Production Ordered

04/10/09 10 Year Greencard Received!

I just wanted to remind people that your local Dept of Labor is a very good place to look for work, as well as do free workshops on resume writing, job-hunting networking clubs and so on.

I did a resume writing course 2 weeks ago and had my resume critiqued by a certified career coach/professional resume writer along with some very good advice.

I joined an agency (Office Team) and they interviewed me, skills-tested me and then 2 weeks later offered me a plum assignment that I needed to briefly interview at (very prestigious school here in CT) and I was working there the next day. It's a senior Admin position and everyone is incredibly friendly/helpful and supportive. I am in one of the coolest departments ever (a dream!) working for an incredibly dynamic Professor.

I have just finished my first week there and have been invited to apply for the permanent position, which will include amazing perks like totally free healthcare (falls over in amazement!) Of course, I haven't got it yet, but I wanted to share my story because it can and does happen this way.

I was terrified I wouldn't get a job, I spent hours reading posts like these and panicking, wondering "if these people can't get jobs, how the hell will I?", especially as I do not have a degree.

It was also serendipitous for my husband, whilst talking to the husband of a long-term acquaintance from when we lived here before, her husband (who happened to be VP of his company said, what do you do and once he found out the ins and outs said, hey, our company specializes in that area......you should send me your resume`...he did and now he works for a subsiduary of a large bank here in New England.

That all said..........my husband also applied at Walgreens and Stop & Shop for interim jobs, he was drugs tested and told to call back, he did so and never got the job!! Now, he's in a job earning around $7k more than the UK with a quarterly bonus scheme that pays around $9k p/a, something we would never have achieved in the UK.

Please take heart guys, it will happen :)

Friendly UK/USA Expat & Repat Forum

here

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.