chris4336

Coverts?

78 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I know this is a little off topic, but I'm wondering if there are any Muslim converts (reverts) here that would be willing to speak with me? I am very interested in Islam (my fiancee has sparked this interest) but am having a really really tough time since my return to the states explaning this to anyone, friends or family, and even finding any kind of support system. Also, they are not supportive at all of my engagement (which I understand as they have never met my fiancee being that it is IMPOSSIBLE to bring him into the states).

Just feeling like its me and him against the world, and its difficult when we are so far away, with no end in sight.

Any support would be apprecaited.

Thank you

Christina

03/09/07 - POE at JFK - Temp EAD given

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

04/20/07 - Package arrived in Chicago

04/26/07 - NOA1 for AOS and AP

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

05/23/07 - RFE email notification for 485

05/29/07 - RFE received by mail - Request for medical exam

06/01/07 - Contacted congressman regarding RFE

06/08/07 - Case resumed processing

10/01/07 - Email Notice of Transfer to CSC

10/04/07 - Pending at CSC

11/09/07 - Green Card Approved

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Is someone pressuring you to convert? Don't convert because it is you and him against the world. Don't convert

because he wants you to. If you are a Jew or Christian you are good. Here is an applicable verse:

“Made lawful to you this day are At‑Tayyibaat [all kinds of Halaal (lawful) foods, which Allaah has made lawful (meat of slaughtered eatable animals, milk products, fats, vegetables and fruits)]. The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them. (Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time when you have given their due Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), desiring chastity (i.e. taking them in legal wedlock) not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girlfriends”

[al-Maa'idah 5:4]

Filed: Timeline

Hi Christina,

I am a "convert" to Islam. I did this when I was in Egypt with my fiance and it is what I had planned to do since before I travelled there. (And NO I didn't choose Islam because of Mohammed... I had already made up my own mind.) I understand your feeling of isolation. I have it too, but I have made my peace with it. My religion isn't something I care to display to the world. It's a quiet thing that sits in my heart and its between me and Allah. I don't particularly discuss it with anyone, but I don't hide it either. I have gotten the shocked expressions when I turn down pork at gatherings or pick the pepperoni off of my pizza. There is a lot of ignorance and adverse judgement in this country regarding the religion of Islam and it's a real shame. It's also a fact of life unfortunately. I am content in my choice, I am happy with my fiance, I am thankful (alhamdulellah), and I follow the wisdom my fiance suggested to me. He suggested that I don't try to be a ME/NA muslim. I am American and that culture is obviously not who I am. He said that I have to be who I am and muslim too. That's why most people don't even realize that I am muslim. I don't cover my hair, but I do wear discreet clothing, etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hello Cristina, My name is Meriem. I am glad you are thinking about Islam. I started reading about Islam about 6 months before I met my fiance. I attested the Shahada around the time we fell in love. I would suggest to read and study about Islam. Make sure all your questions that you have about whether to embrace Islam or not, are answered and once your heart and mind are at peace with the truth of Islam, then you can embrace Islam. I live in a very rural area, I do not cover my hair either. Hachemi said it is my choice. I do wear modest clothes. I do not discuss my religion with anyone either. I am estranged from my parents, because of family issues, not my religion, so they do not even know. Even if they did, it not a problem to me. When I am at gatherings were food is served I am always saying, What do you put in this? Or does this have pork? And they would say, are you allergic to pork? :lol: There is a lot of girls here that are converts that know so much more than me. I am sure they will be here to help you too.

Good luck to you and your fiance.

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Here's a booklist that I've read - not all directly on "Learning Islam" but different aspects of being Muslim, culture life etc.

1) Islam: Beliefs and Observances. 7th ed. Caesar E.Farah. Published by Barrons.

Gives a great overview of the faith, non-biased. Very factual, academic oriented. Easy to read and understand.

2) Beyond the Veil: Male-Female Dynamics in Modern Muslim Society. Revised Edition. Fatima Mernissi. ISBN # 0-253-31162-4.

Mernissi is a Moroccan feminist and professor in Casablanca. This book really delves into the Koranic interpretations of things vs. the cultural/societal interpretations.

3) Dreams of Trespass: Tales of a Harem Girlhood. Fatima Mernissi. ISBN #0-201-48937-6

Another good read, but more like a novel. It’s about her life growing up in Fes.

4) Travels with a Tangerine. Tim McIntosh- Smith. ISBN 0-8129-7164-7

This is a travel related book. Smith follows the path of Ibn Bhatutah one of the greatest known travelers of the world. He tries to imitate Bhatutah’s journey and finds himself all over the middle east.

5) Esposito, John L and DeLong-Bas, Natana J. “Women in Muslim Family Law.” Syracuse University Press. 2001.

This is a pretty academic book, focusing a lot on laws (but it’s not overly technical). It does a sound job giving what is prescribed in the Koran and what is upheld as law in countries that claim they are laws based on the Koran.

6) Mir-Hosseini, Ziba. “Marriage on Trial: A Study of Islamic Family Law, Iran and Morocco Compared.” St. Martin’s Press. 1993.

This book focuses on aspects of marriage (including divorce) and is generally just 2 case studies of Morocco and Iran. It helps to compare and see the differences in the two countries very different interpretations.

7) Smith, Jane I. “Islam in America.” Columbia Contemporary American Religion Series. Columbia University Press. 1999. ISBN # 0-231-10967-9

8) Geaves, Ron. “Aspects of Islam”. Georgetown University Press. Washington DC. 2005.

9) Fernea, Elizabeth Warnock. “In Search of Islamic Feminism: One Woman’s Global Journey.” Doubleday. New York, NY 1998.

10) Stowasser, Barbara Freyer. Women in the Qu’ran, Traditions and Interpretations. Oxford University Press. New York, NY. 1994.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Hi, welcome. I'm not a convert, but I was born Muslim. I actually started learning and did put on the Hijab 4 years ago. Do worry about the flack that people will give you, God Guides who he wills. God is opening your heart, follow it.

One thing becareful of is distinguishing between culture and Islam. There are a lot of things that are just culture that people think is religions. Another thing is that if you want to learn about Islam, Don't start with Koran. It isn't going to make sense to you. That will come after learning about what is Islam and what it stands for.

Aslo, Becareful where you get your info. There are a lot of sights that claim to be muslim sights and they just destort fact and are actually working against Islam.

If you have any question this is a wonderful community. feel free to ask in public or private

Timeline

I totally understand. It is something that I have been contemplating as well. I have actually read the Quran with my husband last year during Ramadan. We would then discuss what we read and he would have me share what I was feeling. It was a VERY good introduction for me. I have also recently read...

The Heart of Islam : Enduring Values for Humanity by Seyyed Hossein Nasr

It was written for Westerners to learn more about Islam (I heard about it on Meet the Press of all places on Easter weekend).

The real issue I have is finding a muslim woman in this area to help me understand more. Most of the muslims in this area are Pakistani. I know some of them. They come from a totally different place (mentally and culturally) and I would not feel comfortable at all. I am still working on this one.

Twila

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

Timeline

chris4336 thanks for opening up this topic...I have been doing some reading lately in Islam and contemplating a lot of the ideas as well as possible reversion at some point...I want this to be a sincere and educated decision and I am just so happy that you have opened up this door for discussion...veiledprincesslayla and AmeraMouttaki thank you so much for you impute...I am so excited that you are sharing your knowledge and looking forward to read the suggested material...I have visited a site called "Why Islam" and they have send me an introductory package including the prayer rug -which I have given to Jamal - he was very happy and a hajib...so i am reading and studying on my own...Jamal is sharing his knowledge with me but I am looking for a female prospective and an glad that Chris has started this topic...Thank you

Citizenship (N-400)

09/15/2009 - Application mailed to Texas Lockbox

09/17/2009 - Delivered to the Lockbox

09/21/2009 - Check cashed

09/24/2009 - NOA dated 9/18/09

09/26/2009 - RFE mailed out dated 9/25 (biometrics notice)

10/14/2009 - Biometrics completed

01/01/2010 - finally an update - awaiting interview letter

02/08/2010 - interview (Garden City, NY) -- PASSED

03/03/2010 - Oath Ceremony in Brooklyn

03/13/2010 - U.S. Passport in hand

DONE!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm also one of the resident muslim converts *waves* If anyone wants to chat, email me and we can pick a time for some msn or yahoo chats.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

Ok, here are rahma's links o plenty for those interested in Islam

iprofess by blogger extrodinare Umm Zaid. This should be the first stop for any basic information from a general point of view. She collects articles from all over the web, as well as writes her own material. Two big :thumbs::thumbs:

About the Prophet Muhammad (saws) - read about the life of this man. His life is the example all believers strive to follow.

Surah Maryam - an excellent flash presentation with a magnificent recitation of Surah Maryam paired with an excellent translation of the meaning in English (did I mention it was excellent *grin*) Asside from studying books and articles, the most important thing a seeker can do is listen to the Qur'an. It's God speaking to you. Listening to it softened the hardest of hearts of the enemies of the Prophet (saws) and brought those who hated him the most to embrace islam.

Zaytuna Institute - Institute in California founded by Sheikh Hamza Yusuf, perhaps the most popular muslim scholar and convert in America. Excellent articles and audios. If I could afford it, I would move out to California in an instant and sit at the feet of the great scholars he has collected there.

Path to Peace - An interesting website I happened upon a few months ago.

Videos to watch

Turning Muslim in Texas - an obscure british documentary that has exploded on the internet in recent months. It interviews several texas converts to Islam

Islam: Empire of Faith I - First part of a great PBS documentary

Islam: Empire of Faith II

Islam: Empire of Faith III

Muhammad: Legacy of the Prophet - excellent PBS documentary on the Prophet Muhammad (saws).

Cat Stevens behind the music - VH1 special that chronicles the life of Yusuf Islam, nka Cat Stevens.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

Found another interesting video

National Geographic's Inside Mecca - Hajj, or the pilgramige to Mecca is a religious obligation for all who can afford it. This documentary offers an insight into the hajj that is rarely seen by those who have not gone.

Here is website that has a large collection of material

http://www.al-islam.org/index.php

We're gettin all the perspectives here :) shia, traditional sunni, salafi. I like to read the variety :star:

Edited by rahma

irhal.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.