trailmix

The great Canada forum recipe swap

52 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, so I was thinking - no doubt because of the now famous 'what's for dinner' thread - that it would be fun for us to exchange recipes and cook them one night.

What I was thinking is that we could:

- Get a list of who is interested

- All answer a few questions about likes and dislikes

- Someone would be picked for us (names from a hat) who will give us a recipe from - wherever - one they find online - an old family recipe, whatever they like - and on one day we would all have to cook that particular dish.

I just thought it might be fun to be able to try something new from someone elses suggestion, might find a new recipe we like and get to hear someone elses opinion (and view pictures!).

What do you guys think, anyone interested?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nice one!!! I'm in :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Timeline

I'm in! I dislike liver and peanut butter. Unless the peanut butter is in a cookie. Then I like it. :)

We could have themes! Like Hawaiian night or Indian night or Thai-one-on night. We could also do a breakfast, lunch, or dinner menu. And desserts! Don't forget desserts!! Oh, and soup!! I just love homemade soup. :dance:

Yeah, I probably won't like doing this. :hehe:

iagree.gif

Timeline
I'm in! I dislike liver and peanut butter. Unless the peanut butter is in a cookie. Then I like it. :)

We could have themes! Like Hawaiian night or Indian night or Thai-one-on night. We could also do a breakfast, lunch, or dinner menu. And desserts! Don't forget desserts!! Oh, and soup!! I just love homemade soup. :dance:

Yeah, I probably won't like doing this. :hehe:

:lol:

Filed: Other Timeline
Unless the peanut butter is in a cookie. Then I like it. :)

That's where the salmonella is.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would love to get in on this, but you probably wouldn't like what I eat. I lost over 100 pounds (over the course of 2 years) a few years ago and still fight every day to keep it off, so I don't eat much that's interesting. Not to mention, you might not want to eat what I'm cooking either. It's all veggies, brown rice, whole wheat pastas, chicken, no sugar, etc. I love it, but normal people probably wouldn't. :lol: However, I do have a killer soup recipe that's almost fat free, very low in calories, very high in fiber and is to die for.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh I'm in :)

My mother compiled a homemade cookbook for me for christmas - recipes from 4 generations on both sides on my family...let me tell you, there are some kick #### ones in there!

And Bo is all about trying new things. I'm be down there in two weeks, he'll eat anything I cook :D

Jen

~She's my Lion~
~He's my Puppy~

[size=5]Our Timeline[/size]

05/05/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC
05/14/08 - NOA1
09/01/08 - NOA2
09/11/08 - Petition received by US Consulate in Montreal
09/20/08 - Received Packet 3
10/02/08 - Packet 3 delivered to MTL
10/16/08 - Medical in Halifax
01/15/09 - Interview in Montreal
01/20/09 - Visa in Hand
02/03/09 - Fly to US - POE Halifax NS
03/06/09 - Wedding in Yanceyville, NC

AOS
4/24/09 - Sent AOS package (after too many delays!)
4/27/09 - Signed for in Chicago
5/05/09 - Check cashed and all three NOA1's in the mail
5/14/09 - Received Biometrics appointment letter - Appointment is June 2nd.
6/2/09 - Biometrics at Raleigh field office - they were some of the nicest people :)
6/18/09 - EAD approved and card production ordered
6/20/09- received AP papers in the mail
6/22/09 EAD card arrived in the mail (that was fast eh?)
7/09/09 - received notice of GC appointment date
8/07/09 - Green Card interview at Raleigh Field office at 8:45am - Given RFE for I-693 Vaccination suppliment
9/08/09 - returned RFE to field office. Approved for Green Card
9/09/09 - Received email that Card production had been ordered.
9/17/09 - Green Card in the mail - No more USCIS until June, 2011 :D

Sounds great! I'm in! :) Are you organizing this? You could probably find people who eat similar types of foods. I'm thinking of those of us that are eating low carb etc. and we could swap. I can't possibly do this until I'm back from vacation though. I'll see where you are at when I get back and see how you've decided to organize this.

carlahmsb4.gif

I would love to get in on this, but you probably wouldn't like what I eat. I lost over 100 pounds (over the course of 2 years) a few years ago and still fight every day to keep it off, so I don't eat much that's interesting. Not to mention, you might not want to eat what I'm cooking either. It's all veggies, brown rice, whole wheat pastas, chicken, no sugar, etc. I love it, but normal people probably wouldn't. :lol: However, I do have a killer soup recipe that's almost fat free, very low in calories, very high in fiber and is to die for.

I like stuff like that! And I want your killer soup recipe so you have to join now!

Oh! And congratulations on the weight loss! That's nothing short of amazing.

(Okay. Enough with the exclamation marks, already. <_< Just gimme the darned recipe.)

iagree.gif

Timeline
(Okay. Enough with the exclamation marks, already. <_< Just gimme the darned recipe.)

:lol:

Yeah, I was thinking we will do this next month, so no prob with holidays Carla.

As for food restrictions, no problem - you don't have to share one of your recipes in particular - so for instance if I was picking a recipe for you Somber I could make something up (lucky you) - or based on what you say you like to eat I would find a recipe for you, or use my own recipe etc.

So there, now you are in!

Edited by trailmix

Wait a minute. I think I may have misunderstood. We're choosing a recipe for one specific person? I thought this was like a book club. We would all have one recipe... everyone would make it.... then we'd post our reviews and our pictures and discuss. :unsure:

Maybe I misunderstood! :blink: Not the first time I've mixed things up. I'm going to leave this thread alone until I return from vacation and then reread it. :lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
Wait a minute. I think I may have misunderstood. We're choosing a recipe for one specific person? I thought this was like a book club. We would all have one recipe... everyone would make it.... then we'd post our reviews and our pictures and discuss. :unsure:

rulez (which are very unclear)

- Someone would be picked for us (names from a hat) who will give us a recipe from - wherever - one they find online - an old family recipe, whatever they like - and on one day we would all have to cook that particular dish.

Probably should be:

- We will be given a recipe buddy (by picking names from a hat)

- Our buddy will find a recipe for us to make

- We will pick a day when we will all make the individual recipes our buddies picked for us

So that is why you were talking about themes - I get it now!!

Yeah I didn't think the recipe everyone would make would really work, because of people who are doing low carb or whatever? Unless they modified it and had a whole wheat cracker instead of a pile of rice with their teriyaki?? The one recipe thing might be more fun, it's just with all the different tastes etc? Like if we chose an asian dish and someone hates asian food - we would have to shun them :lol:

Edited by trailmix

Yeah I didn't think the recipe everyone would make would really work, because of people who are doing low carb or whatever? Unless they modified it and had a whole wheat cracker instead of a pile of rice with their teriyaki?? The one recipe thing might be more fun, it's just with all the different tastes etc? Like if we chose an asian dish and someone hates asian food - we would have to shun them :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh. *big disappointed look on face* :(

Well, okay. I guess I'll play. post-21394-1232458686.gif

iagree.gif

Timeline

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh. *big disappointed look on face* :(

Well, okay. I guess I'll play. post-21394-1232458686.gif

I knew I should have waited to start this thread when I was fully awake :lol:

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.