feejo

I am here in US why not get married?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I ear more and more people just here in vacation and pop got married and no worries, I think they just do the adjustment. I am from Canada in visit here, I might have to over stay 3 month to get married, have to do the preparation. What do you think? Any consequences?

Edited by feejo

In case you actually go through with marrying a USC....your best option would actually be to file I-130 only specifying Consular Processing @ Montreal, then return to Canada to wait for appointment letter.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I ear more and more people just here in vacation and pop got married and no worries, I think they just do the adjustment. I am from Canada in visit here, I might have to over stay 3 month to get married, have to do the preparation. What do you think? Any consequences?

:no:

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would personally go with what USCIS says.

Check with USCIS and follow the procedures, do not just overstay like that based on what others say. Call and get official information cause if they ban you due to fraud, you won't be able to go back to USA for a very long time.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

K1

2008-07-09 : I-129F Sent

2008-11-18 : I-129F NOA2

2008-11-24 : Consulate Received

2008-11-30 : Packet 3 Received

2009-01-26 : Medical appointment (3 vaccines shots !)

2009-02-09 : Packet 3 Sent

2009-03-30 : Packet 4 Received

2009-04-28 : Visa APPROVED !!!!!

2009-05-01 : Visa in hand !!!!!

2009-08-22 : Big smile and moving to sunny Florida

2009-08-23 : Finally here in Florida with my babe :)

2009-09-17 : Civil wedding :)

AOS

2009-10-13 : Filed for AOS, AP, EAD

2009-10-23 : AOS NOA Received

2009-10-23 : AP NOA Received

2009-10-23 : EAD NOA Received

2009-11-05 : AOS Transfered to CSC

2009-11-18 : Biometrics Appt.

2009-12-04 : AP Approved

2009-12-11 : EAD Card received

2010-02-16 : AOS Approved and Greencard Received ! :)

Removing conditions on 11/16/2011

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't mean to be rude, but you posted the same question here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry2558058

and you got some really good and accurate answers.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

tourist visas are granted only under the condition that you will return to your country (i guess this also aplies to canadians despite they dont need B2 visas). if you overstay a tourist visa that is illegal and can cause you to be denied to enter the States for 10 years.

by the other side..... i heard about lots of people that enter to the country with a tourist visa, get married and stay. then they wait for the paperwork and apart of not being able to leave the country and work legally (and all the other consecuences like insurances, drivers licences, SSNs..... ) nothing else bad happens to them.

You need to know what are your expectations. Are you getting married to someone rich and you wont have to work for some years???? are you going to be able to not go back to canada?????

despite this other experiences, i wont encurage anybody to do it. the best is follow the procedures and do the things the right way.

as i said in another post, READ!!!!! read as much as you can about your options and take your decision.

K.

Timeline

I also don't mean to be rude but several months ago you were posting asking questions about getting married on a K-1 and how do you import your car and such to the US. I think you would have a hard time proving that you had no intent to marry when you entered the US since you were doing a lot of research and asking questions aboout getting married to an American. Your best course of action is to process the visa through Canada whether you get married in the US or not - there is no appeal if they deny you your green card if you adjust from marriage while on a visitor's visa.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Feejo,

No, it's not illegal to come to the US and get married while you were down here for a visit from Canada. As long as you came here WITHOUT the intention to get married in the first place on your visit and are not doing this as to avoid and/or break immigration laws, then it's fine and legal to do.

I was in the same situation before too, as a Canadian, when I came over to visit my boyfriend (now husband), on a

2 week US tourist visa (they gave me a B-2 visa in my passport, even though I'm from visa-exempt Canada), and then ended up getting married here in the USA. And yes, I did file for the adjustment of status and was approved and got my green card afterwards.

For more information on my sitation, see my VJ timeline (the link can be found on my signature).

As well, I stayed in the US for several months, before my green card was approved. I just stayed, as I did not need to return to Canada during that time, nor did I bother applying for an Advance Parole or Employment Authorization Document, even though others apply for these because they have a need to return to Canada before. I was told too, by an immigration lawyer, that my expired visitor's status was "forgiven" if I had filed for the Adjustment of Status/Green Card during that time. Personally though, during those months, even though I was in the midst of filing my paperwork, I felt kind of weird to be in the US somewhat "illegally", as I did not have valid status during that filing time. And yeah, I felt a lot better when I finally did get my green card later.

The next steps for you are:

1) GET MARRIED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE (and keep it simple).

2) DO NOT LEAVE THE USA AND DO NOT RETURN TO CANADA (unless you have Advance Parole) until your Adjustment of Status/Green Card case has been fully approved, otherwise your case will be abandonded and you will run into the risk of never being able to come back to the ever USA again.

3) File the following paperwork: I-130 (Petiton for Family Member), I-485 (Adjustment of Status), I-864 (Affidavit of Support), I-765 (Employment Authorization Document), I-131 (Advanced Parole), I-693 (Medical Forms)....Cost-wise, the total costs should be about $1000+ or so nowadays....

4) Hire a good immigration lawyer, if you run into any more problems, and/or if you are totally unsure about your situation.

However, if your situation is different and/or you have other plans from what you described in your post (Visitor to AOS route), you should instead consider the following immigration options for you: K1 (fiance visa, file paperwork in Canada, come to the USA, get married in the USA, file for the AOS afterwards), K3 (spousal visa, file paperwork in Canada, get married in Canada, come to the USA, file for the AOS afterwards), CR (spousal visa, get married in Canada and have all your paperwork filed in Canada, come to the USA).

Hope this helps. Good luck with your immigration journey too.

Ant (Visited, Married, Immigrated, Living Happily Ever After In The USA...)

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Don't try to circumvent the process feejo, it just might come and bite you on your butt! You've posted here before so how could you say you didn't have intent now that you're there? I guess you take your chances, but at the AOS stage, you're going to have to prove you had no intention of doing this while you were down there. If they deny you AOS, there is no recourse.

Think about it. :thumbs:

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
:bonk:

Mephys! :luv:

ditto! :luv: :luv:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
I'm here in a bank... WHY DON'T I JUST ROB IT!? :P

Buurrrrnnnn

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.