nunyab

Marriage in Morocco

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

For all of those asking the question of what is needed to marry in Morocco I made detailed notes on the "instructions" given to me by the consulate in '08. There was much more needed and I submitted it to the consulate after our marriage was finished hopeing they would update the "instructions" but here it is. I hope it can help others.

Documents a U.S. Citizen Needs to Marry in Morocco

a. A valid U.S. passport and copies of the biographic page and the page containing your date of entry to Morocco. Some but not all local authorities require the u.s. consulate general to certifiy these copies.

b. If divorced, proof of dissolution of any previous marriages. Provide original or certified copies of these documents.

c. If former spouse is deceased, his or her death certificate. Provide original or certified copies

d. A completed Affidavit of Nationality and Eligibility to Marry. This document may be obtained at the U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca during public hours. There is a fee of $30.00 for a consular officer to notarize the document. The document is in English and you will need to have it translated. The document is the only reason you will need to visit the U.S. consulate General in relation to getting married.

e. A birth certificate. Provide an original or certified copy of this document.

f. An American police record must be obtained from a police department in the state where you last resided or from the FBI at http://www.fbi.gov/hq/djisd/fprequest.html (i couldn't get the FBI document in time so got a state one problem is Washington state only does records via the internet therefore I had to get affidavid from u.s. consulate and certified)

if residant of morocco a valid residancy card and police record from Ministry of Justice in Rabat.

g. Work certificate (u.s. does not have this so I brought my pay stubs and a letter from my employer translated)

h. certificate of conversion if applicable. must be notarized statement the documents said women don't need this but the police did ask for mine.

i A medical certificate of good health from a doctor in Morocco. This document must be obtained in Morocco. (he didn't even examine me we just paid the money and he wrote the certificate)

j. Four recent passport photos 3cmX 4 cm, same size required for a moroccan passport.

K. The fee for submitting an application for marriage to an adoul is 150 dirhams.

L. Resume' highly suggested.

my next window will be "what I do next"

Timeline

What I do Next after gathering all documents?

you will need to go to the U.S. consulate to get the Affidavit of Nationality and Eligibility to Marry. You will need to have it translated into Arabic and be certain ALL U.S. documents are translated.

Take your completed Affidavit of Nationality and Eligibilty to Marry and other doucments to the following government of Morocco offices to be certified. There is a fee for this certification. the length of time needed to complet this phase of process varies from a few days to a few months.

first go to

Annexe du Ministrere des Affaires Etrangeres

Zankat Zallagh,

Agdal, Rabat

and

Ministere de la Justice Sections des Marriages

Place de la Mamounia, Rabat

(we did both in the same day while in Rabat be prepared for a long day and a long line unless you know someone wink wink)

After obtaining the certification from the offices above make 4 copies you and your fiance' must contact (you will just go in) the Family Law Section at the Prosecutor's office at the Court of Appeal in the city where you will be married. You will need to provide that office all the required documents. Authorization to marry will be granted after the court completes administrative processing. The length of time required for this process varies. The file with your documents is forwarded to a family judge who will inform you of the next steps (but I will tell you)

After granted the first judge at the "court of appeal" will give you a packet take this packet to the larger court of justice near the palace (I do not know the name but the moroccan residant will). After this location they will issue another packet (granted this part of the process can take days be prepared to run all over town).

After this location you will get another packet in which you will go to the Police center (casablanca) for questioning (I like to call in interrogation). This is where I suggested brining your resume' with education dates and times is vidal. Once they approve (they will let you know when to pick up the documents) you it will be @ 2 days back to court of justice near palace.

After recieving final papers from the court of justice near palace it is required to go back to the court of Justice Family Marriage section. Be warned here "mixed" marriages are on the bottom of the pile. You will most likely wait a day in this office be ready to go for a walk during their lunch time.. i suggest the new Masjiid and lunch somewhere.

after that you have finished the governmental approval to marry... find your Adoul and you are finished..Mabrooook!

that is it I really hope this helps couples as I was ready for all angles they were quite surprised. It took us two weeks but we also "knew" a few someone's.

I wish you all the best this process requires a lot of patience you indeed will learn alot more about one another by the time this is all done.

Edited by Rajaa_Reda

Timeline
For all of those asking the question of what is needed to marry in Morocco I made detailed notes on the "instructions" given to me by the consulate in '08. There was much more needed and I submitted it to the consulate after our marriage was finished hopeing they would update the "instructions" but here it is. I hope it can help others.

Documents a U.S. Citizen Needs to Marry in Morocco

a. A valid U.S. passport and copies of the biographic page and the page containing your date of entry to Morocco. Some but not all local authorities require the u.s. consulate general to certifiy these copies.

b. If divorced, proof of dissolution of any previous marriages. Provide original or certified copies of these documents.

c. If former spouse is deceased, his or her death certificate. Provide original or certified copies

d. A completed Affidavit of Nationality and Eligibility to Marry. This document may be obtained at the U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca during public hours. There is a fee of $30.00 for a consular officer to notarize the document. The document is in English and you will need to have it translated. The document is the only reason you will need to visit the U.S. consulate General in relation to getting married.

e. A birth certificate. Provide an original or certified copy of this document.

f. An American police record must be obtained from a police department in the state where you last resided or from the FBI at http://www.fbi.gov/hq/djisd/fprequest.html (i couldn't get the FBI document in time so got a state one problem is Washington state only does records via the internet therefore I had to get affidavid from u.s. consulate and certified)

if residant of morocco a valid residancy card and police record from Ministry of Justice in Rabat.

g. Work certificate (u.s. does not have this so I brought my pay stubs and a letter from my employer translated)

h. certificate of conversion if applicable. must be notarized statement the documents said women don't need this but the police did ask for mine.

i A medical certificate of good health from a doctor in Morocco. This document must be obtained in Morocco. (he didn't even examine me we just paid the money and he wrote the certificate)

j. Four recent passport photos 3cmX 4 cm, same size required for a moroccan passport.

K. The fee for submitting an application for marriage to an adoul is 150 dirhams.

L. Resume' highly suggested.

my next window will be "what I do next"

they will need a paper of religion statement, (not conversion, just showing religion of choice) i was told i could get at embasy but dont believe so the man fr the court came to the house drew up a paper and filed at court. If your baptized in your home church take that, etc

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Timeline
What I do Next after gathering all documents?

you will need to go to the U.S. consulate to get the Affidavit of Nationality and Eligibility to Marry. You will need to have it translated into Arabic and be certain ALL U.S. documents are translated.

Take your completed Affidavit of Nationality and Eligibilty to Marry and other doucments to the following government of Morocco offices to be certified. There is a fee for this certification. the length of time needed to complet this phase of process varies from a few days to a few months.

first go to

Zankat Zallagh,

Agdal, Rabat

and

(we did both in the same day while in Rabat be prepared for a long day and a long line unless you know someone wink wink)

After obtaining the certification from the offices above make 4 copies you and your fiance' must contact (you will just go in) the Family Law Section at the Prosecutor's office at the Court of Appeal in the city where you will be married. You will need to provide that office all the required documents. Authorization to marry will be granted after the court completes administrative processing. The length of time required for this process varies. The file with your documents is forwarded to a family judge who will inform you of the next steps (but I will tell you)

After granted the first judge at the "court of appeal" will give you a packet take this packet to the larger court of justice near the palace (I do not know the name but the moroccan residant will). After this location they will issue another packet (granted this part of the process can take days be prepared to run all over town).

After this location you will get another packet in which you will go to the Police center (casablanca) for questioning (I like to call in interrogation). This is where I suggested brining your resume' with education dates and times is vidal. Once they approve (they will let you know when to pick up the documents) you it will be @ 2 days back to court of justice near palace.

After recieving final papers from the court of justice near palace it is required to go back to the court of Justice Family Marriage section. Be warned here "mixed" marriages are on the bottom of the pile. You will most likely wait a day in this office be ready to go for a walk during their lunch time.. i suggest the new Masjiid and lunch somewhere.

after that you have finished the governmental approval to marry... find your Adoul and you are finished..Mabrooook!

that is it I really hope this helps couples as I was ready for all angles they were quite surprised. It took us two weeks but we also "knew" a few someone's.

I wish you all the best this process requires a lot of patience you indeed will learn alot more about one another by the time this is all done.

be prepared to pay some (fees) to take the courier from place to place and to go back each day to ck if ready, also during what i think u called the interview be prepared to answer THE question of have you slept together :whistle: you maynot know but i could tell when the man stop talking to me and went to the man to ask this question under quiet breath so no one hears, they ask how long youhave known, how long since u have decided to marry etc we knew someone at almost all places and it was 2 1/2 weeks but during this time the King came to town so it was slow time

TIMELINE

-------------

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

Timeline
first go to

Zankat Zallagh,

Agdal, Rabat

and

There are guys standing around outside looking for people who want to forego the lines. It's worth it to pay them 25-30 bucks (dirham equivalents). They took care of our paperwork at these places. I can't remember every detail that we went through only the fatigue from all the walking and of course the long wait. We also had "connections". This is how all Moroccans get business done. Anyone and everyone including officials can be bought. We bought our way through all the paperwork and still waited forever. :(

1/17/07: Filed I130

1/26/07: NOA 1

4/9/07: NOA 2

5/22/07: Received DS3032/AOS bill

5/22/07 Sent choice of agent email

5/23/07: Paid AOS fee

6/7/07: Received IV bill

6/8/07: Paid IV bill

6/10/07: IV bill received by NVC

06/15/07: Sent I-864 Packet to NVC

6/28/07: Mailed DS230

7/16/07: Case complete!

Interview: 9/6/07@8:00 a.m.

9/7/07 Visa in hand!!

11/15/07: Green Card Arrives

DSC01907-1.jpg

Timeline
be prepared to pay some (fees) to take the courier from place to place and to go back each day to ck if ready, also during what i think u called the interview be prepared to answer THE question of have you slept together :whistle: you maynot know but i could tell when the man stop talking to me and went to the man to ask this question under quiet breath so no one hears, they ask how long youhave known, how long since u have decided to marry etc we knew someone at almost all places and it was 2 1/2 weeks but during this time the King came to town so it was slow time

Ha ha, I had forgotten about that. That also reminded me when after our marriage the Adoul patted my husband on the back and whispered in his ear "You can have sex with her now". :whistle:

1/17/07: Filed I130

1/26/07: NOA 1

4/9/07: NOA 2

5/22/07: Received DS3032/AOS bill

5/22/07 Sent choice of agent email

5/23/07: Paid AOS fee

6/7/07: Received IV bill

6/8/07: Paid IV bill

6/10/07: IV bill received by NVC

06/15/07: Sent I-864 Packet to NVC

6/28/07: Mailed DS230

7/16/07: Case complete!

Interview: 9/6/07@8:00 a.m.

9/7/07 Visa in hand!!

11/15/07: Green Card Arrives

DSC01907-1.jpg

Timeline

The questions I got at the police interview was alot about my education then he got into my religion asked for my certificate of conversion here and then asked (i was in hijab) if I was a "practicing" muslimah? then he asked me which "books" i've read (he was looking for the Qu'ran as an answer) then he asked me if I prayed and in what language. I told him i learned it in English first as I thought it was important to know the words I was saying then learned in Arabic. he seemed satisfied with that answer.

yeah there are extra "fees" you know to help someone get coffee to get at the head of the line... here and there are always others willing to "help" for the right "fee"

Ha ha, I had forgotten about that. That also reminded me when after our marriage the Adoul patted my husband on the back and whispered in his ear "You can have sex with her now". :whistle:

:rofl: you're kidding me??? that's a riot.

Timeline
first go to

Zankat Zallagh,

Agdal, Rabat

and

There are guys standing around outside looking for people who want to forego the lines. It's worth it to pay them 25-30 bucks (dirham equivalents). They took care of our paperwork at these places. I can't remember every detail that we went through only the fatigue from all the walking and of course the long wait. We also had "connections". This is how all Moroccans get business done. Anyone and everyone including officials can be bought. We bought our way through all the paperwork and still waited forever. :(

(That is one thing for sure take extra money with you they all want money from you there when i went to morocco to marry last year it cost at every office an it took us 2 1/2 weeks , but the greatest time was then now we just waite on nvc to do there part an hope you the very best, its not as bad as it seams really, good luck to you. meemeeeD

Dorothy Beryahi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

wOW I remember this grulling and long process all too well. I agree with everyone who says be prepared for the extra's. The fees to take someone somewhere, to cut in lines, and to hurry the process. It took about 2 months and a half for my husband and I to get married. During my police interview, it was mostly educational and what work i did. They didn't really touch on anything about my husband and I being together. However they were telling him that he was lucky and that I was pretty. Only that. For everyone getting married, be prepared for the long paperwork, certifications, translations, and time. Good luck

first go to

Zankat Zallagh,

Agdal, Rabat

and

(That is one thing for sure take extra money with you they all want money from you there when i went to morocco to marry last year it cost at every office an it took us 2 1/2 weeks , but the greatest time was then now we just waite on nvc to do there part an hope you the very best, its not as bad as it seams really, good luck to you. meemeeeD

Casandra and Aziz's Timeline
03/26/07 - Received my first call from Aziz
07/21/07 - 1st trip
12/14/07 - 2nd visit to Morocco
05/20/08 - 3rd visit to Morocco
07/10/08 - Married in Morocco
02/15/09 - 4th trip to Morocco

05/12/12 - 1st trip to Morocco together

CR1 Visa Journey
10/06/08 - Sent I-130 Packet
10/09/08 - Received NOA1
04/24/09 - Approval Notice Sent for I-130
07/13/09 - Informed by NVC Casa consulate busy***wait for September interview
07/27/09 - Received appointment letter from NVC WOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
09/14/09 - CR1 interview in Casa @ 8:00 am ******APPROVED******
09/15/09 - Visa in Hand
11/07/09 - Travel to US
11/27/09 - Received greencard
ROC
10/21/11 - Sent I-751 package
10/24/11 - USCIS receives the package
10/31/11 - NOA1 received
11/18/11 - Biometrics Interview in JAX
06/27/12 - Approval Notice sent

N-400

09/21/13 - Application filed

09/26/13 - NOA received

10/24/13 - Biometics apt

12/12/13 - Interview date

01/01/14 - Approval notice sent

03/27/14 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Timeline

wow thats intense! I was barely asked any questions ever. I think the Adul asked me if I recieved my dowery and the US embassy in Rabat I had to go with my passport to enter (thank god they let my husband go in with me) and I think he pretty much did everything in there too I was just there and really nervous. He did pay some people $$$ to assist us but it still took 4 weeks to complete the process when we went. It was Oct 07 so maybe it was a busier time? Any way My poor husband was the one that ran around doing everything for us. I did go sometimes but my part seemed small compared to his. I was just enjoying being in morocco and did not care if I went back home LOL....I felt very at home there and like being near his family. But the process to get married does seem daunting! I don't remember being asked about my religion either.....hmmmmmm....Maybe I was high on love (or moroccan mint tea) and did not notice :blush:

The questions I got at the police interview was alot about my education then he got into my religion asked for my certificate of conversion here and then asked (i was in hijab) if I was a "practicing" muslimah? then he asked me which "books" i've read (he was looking for the Qu'ran as an answer) then he asked me if I prayed and in what language. I told him i learned it in English first as I thought it was important to know the words I was saying then learned in Arabic. he seemed satisfied with that answer.

yeah there are extra "fees" you know to help someone get coffee to get at the head of the line... here and there are always others willing to "help" for the right "fee"

:rofl: you're kidding me??? that's a riot.

Timeline

thanks rajaa for this thread , it is really helpful, i'll start all this process in 14 days from now, and we have only 5 days to finish all the process and get married :crying: ; my fiancé will come only for 1 week, so we will start monday and hopefully we will get the autorisation to get married on friday and saturday we plan to have a little party to take pictures to show later for the interview, we really need a miracle and a lot of good connections to make it go fast ...........i'll be really disappointed if we couldn't make it in 5 days :crying::crying:

[size="2"][font="Arial"][size="1"][u][b][color="#800080"][i]Naturalization Journey[/i][/color][/b][/u][i]
[color="#800080"]05/05/2012: N-400 sent [/color][color="#800080"]05/07/2012: USCIS received package
05/08/2012: Priority date
05/10/2012: NOA date
05/11/2012: Electronic notification from USCIS / Check cashed
05/14/2012: NOA received
05/23/2012: Biometrics notice received
06/08/2012: Early Biometrics (appointment scheduled for 06/14)
07/03/2012: [/color][color="#800080"]Electronic notification:[/color][color="#800080"]placed in line for interview scheduling
07/05/2012:[/color][/i][/size][/font][i][font="Arial"][size="1"][color="#800080"] Electronic notification: [/color][/size][/font][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][color="#800080"][font="Arial"][size="1"]scheduled for interview
07/09/2012: Interview notice received
08/13/2012: Interview
[/size][/font][/color][/font][/i][/size][i][size="2"][font="Arial"][size="1"][color="#800080"]08/27/2012: [/color][color="#800080"]Electronic notification:[/color][color="#800080"]placed in line for oath scheduling[/color][/size][/font][/size]
[size="2"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][color="#800080"][font="Arial"][size="1"]08/29/2012: Oath notice recei[size="1"]ved [/size][/size][/font][/color][/font][/size][size="1"][color="#800080"]( no status update )
09/11/2012: Oath ceremony
[/color][/size]
[/i] [i] [/i] [i] [/i][size="2"][i] [/i][/size]

Timeline
thanks rajaa for this thread , it is really helpful, i'll start all this process in 14 days from now, and we have only 5 days to finish all the process and get married :crying: ; my fiancé will come only for 1 week, so we will start monday and hopefully we will get the autorisation to get married on friday and saturday we plan to have a little party to take pictures to show later for the interview, we really need a miracle and a lot of good connections to make it go fast ...........i'll be really disappointed if we couldn't make it in 5 days :crying::crying:

You are most welcome... but honestly I have to suggest a couple of things. You will not get everything done in 5 days (isa i hope you do but not likely) so my suggestion is this... have an engagement party and start the papers. The first part can be done in advance and he can come back in three months to finish it will be even better for immergration to see multiple trips. And your short week won't feel as stress full.

Just something to keep in mind as a back up plan.

Timeline
You are most welcome... but honestly I have to suggest a couple of things. You will not get everything done in 5 days (isa i hope you do but not likely) so my suggestion is this... have an engagement party and start the papers. The first part can be done in advance and he can come back in three months to finish it will be even better for immergration to see multiple trips. And your short week won't feel as stress full.

Just something to keep in mind as a back up plan.

this is his second trip to morocco, the first one was in last august to meet my family and got engaged, now he is coming back for the marriage contract and for a small party to take pictures, he can not come back again soon because of his job besides as you know administrations here won't accept papers if they are dated more than 3 months and we have all our papers ready, he even traveled to his native country in last october to get his birth certificate because here they didn't accept the one he already had because it was dated in 2007.... :angry:

anyway, my connections say that 5 days can be sufficient if our papers are complete, so i prepared everything and translated all documents from usa and inchallah as soon as my fiancé comes to morocco we will go to the consulate to bring the other documents we need

wish us good luck and i will certainely post a feedback of what happened

Edited by ossa

[size="2"][font="Arial"][size="1"][u][b][color="#800080"][i]Naturalization Journey[/i][/color][/b][/u][i]
[color="#800080"]05/05/2012: N-400 sent [/color][color="#800080"]05/07/2012: USCIS received package
05/08/2012: Priority date
05/10/2012: NOA date
05/11/2012: Electronic notification from USCIS / Check cashed
05/14/2012: NOA received
05/23/2012: Biometrics notice received
06/08/2012: Early Biometrics (appointment scheduled for 06/14)
07/03/2012: [/color][color="#800080"]Electronic notification:[/color][color="#800080"]placed in line for interview scheduling
07/05/2012:[/color][/i][/size][/font][i][font="Arial"][size="1"][color="#800080"] Electronic notification: [/color][/size][/font][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][color="#800080"][font="Arial"][size="1"]scheduled for interview
07/09/2012: Interview notice received
08/13/2012: Interview
[/size][/font][/color][/font][/i][/size][i][size="2"][font="Arial"][size="1"][color="#800080"]08/27/2012: [/color][color="#800080"]Electronic notification:[/color][color="#800080"]placed in line for oath scheduling[/color][/size][/font][/size]
[size="2"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][color="#800080"][font="Arial"][size="1"]08/29/2012: Oath notice recei[size="1"]ved [/size][/size][/font][/color][/font][/size][size="1"][color="#800080"]( no status update )
09/11/2012: Oath ceremony
[/color][/size]
[/i] [i] [/i] [i] [/i][size="2"][i] [/i][/size]

Timeline

oh my i hope u find a way also but this will be interesting to see how it works out, good luck, also curious to know who are your connections saying this

TIMELINE

-------------

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.