shogimatt

Waiver needed for misrepresentation and denial of admission?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

I discovered this forum as a result of my previous post on the K-3 forum:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=160674

My wife was detained on attempt to enter the US under the visa waiver program. The officers gave a variety of reasons for the denial and had her sign a variety of papers, of which she wasn't given copies.

Given her emotional state after ~8 hours of questioning and the fact that she isn't an English native speaker, we're not really sure what she signed and how it might be used against her in the visa process in the future.

One line in the eligibility code that concerns me:

( C) Misrepresentation.-

(i) In general.-Any alien who, by fraud or willfully misrepresenting a material fact, seeks to procure (or has sought to procure or has procured) a visa, other documentation, or admission into the United States or other benefit provided under this Act is inadmissible.

We had forgotten about a tourist visa application that was refused earlier in the year, and when she was entering she didn't mention it on the paperwork. They found that she had in fact been refused a tourist visa using their computers, and this was used as one of the many reasons to deny her entry on the VWP. I'm not sure if they claimed a willful misrepresentation or not...

Another paragraph that concerns me:

( A) Certain aliens previously removed.-

(i) Arriving aliens.-Any alien who has been ordered removed under section 235(b )(1) or at the end of proceedings under section 240 initiated upon the alien's arrival in the United States and who again seeks admission within 5 years of the date of such removal (or within 20 years in the case of a second or subsequent removal or at any time in the case of an alien convicted of an aggravated felony) is inadmissible.

The only time she was "removed" was when she was denied entry under the VWP. Does this count as removal?

Is there a way to figure out if these apply to our case? or to find out what exactly she was charged with and what is on her record?

Are these offenses that we can waive using the waiver of ineligibility?

Thank you! I greatly appreciate your input.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

WOW this is hard...Sorry I dont have any answers for you, But I would consult a lawyer if I were you!!!

good Luck (F)

Nita

My wife was detained on attempt to enter the US under the visa waiver program. The officers gave a variety of reasons for the denial and had her sign a variety of papers, of which she wasn't given copies.

Given her emotional state after ~8 hours of questioning and the fact that she isn't an English native speaker, we're not really sure what she signed and how it might be used against her in the visa process in the future.

( C) Misrepresentation.-

(i) In general.-Any alien who, by fraud or willfully misrepresenting a material fact, seeks to procure (or has sought to procure or has procured) a visa, other documentation, or admission into the United States or other benefit provided under this Act is inadmissible.

We had forgotten about a tourist visa application that was refused earlier in the year, and when she was entering she didn't mention it on the paperwork. They found that she had in fact been refused a tourist visa using their computers, and this was used as one of the many reasons to deny her entry on the VWP. I'm not sure if they claimed a willful misrepresentation or not...

(i) Arriving aliens.-Any alien who has been ordered removed under section 235(b )(1) or at the end of proceedings under section 240 initiated upon the alien's arrival in the United States and who again seeks admission within 5 years of the date of such removal (or within 20 years in the case of a second or subsequent removal or at any time in the case of an alien convicted of an aggravated felony) is inadmissible.

The only time she was "removed" was when she was denied entry under the VWP. Does this count as removal?

Is there a way to figure out if these apply to our case? or to find out what exactly she was charged with and what is on her record?

596696z2ypf41694.gif

I - 130

3.26.08 - NOA2 - APPROVAL IN 493 DAYS!!

NVC

7.22.08 - CASE COMPLETED IN 90 DAYS - THANK GOD!!

Embassy

9.29.08-Interview - AP (2 weeks)

10.15.08 - AP over :) Embassy called hubby to go get his Visa - HAPPIEST DAY!!!

10.20.08 - Visa Issued

11.25.08 - POE (JFK then SFO)

11.26.08 - Visa Journey is Over!! TOOK 737 DAYS....Habibi is Home!! :) :)

USA

11.25.08 - POE

12.10.08 - Applied for SS Card

12.15.08 - Welcome Letter Received

12.17.08 - SS Card Received

12.26.08 - Green Card Received :)

Begin Naturalization process 2011 ~ Inshallah

mybanner493ead35e2041shfr8.th.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

( C) Misrepresentation.-

Hey! I was wondering if they stamp any code on her passport ... that should tell u what she's been charged for...I was denied entry too and they just stamp WITHDRAWN 212( a ) on top my B1/B2 Visa but differently from your fiancee they gave me a copy of form 235(b )(1)...what they told me is that I won't have problems to go back with K1 or K3 Visa and I think that if she was just deny entry it will be the same for u. Btw I can perfectly understand what she's been trought...I wish u good luck!

OUR TIMELINE for K1

09.26.2008: Petition Sent to California Service Center by UPS

10.01.2008: NOA1

11.12.2008: NOA2

11.17.2008: NVC Received Our Case

11.24.2008: Consulate Received Our Case

12.29.2008: Medical Exam at 8.15 am / PASSED

12.30.2008: INTERVIEW AT 10.00 A.M. / VISA IN HAND!

01.23.2009: POE

02.21.2009: Wedding

OUR TIMELINE for AOS

04.16.2009: AOS Package Sent To Chicago by UPS

04.21.2009: NOA1

05.14.2009: Biometrics Appointment and Touch for AOS and EAD

06.01.2009: EAD Card Ordered and AP Approved

06.05.2009: Received AP in the Mailbox

06.08.2009: Received EAD in the Mailbox

08.22.2009: INTERVIEW AT 12.30 P.M. / APPROVED!

09.02.2009: GREEN CARD IN HAND!

OUR TIMELINE for I-751

06.03.2011: I-751 Package Sent To California Service Center

06.07.2011: NOA1

06.27.2011: Biometrics Appointment

12.19.2011: NOA2

12.23.2011: GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Timeline
Hey! I was wondering if they stamp any code on her passport ... that should tell u what she's been charged for...I was denied entry too and they just stamp WITHDRAWN 212( a ) on top my B1/B2 Visa but differently from your fiancee they gave me a copy of form 235(b )(1)...what they told me is that I won't have problems to go back with K1 or K3 Visa and I think that if she was just deny entry it will be the same for u. Btw I can perfectly understand what she's been trought...I wish u good luck!

Hi!

The code was 8 CFR 217.4 (o)(1). The (o) section doesn't exist in section 217.4, but the entire 217.4 basically just says that people can be removed if they are inadmissible under section 212. So, I'm guessing this means that they wrote no specific offense on her passport, just a statement saying basically, "We're removing you."

Would we know somehow if they had accused her of a specific charge like misrepresentation that carried with it a serious consequence?

Thank you for the input, and I wish you the best of luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, your wife has a permanent ban from the U.S. after being charged with Misrepresentation. It is waiveable as the spouse of a US Citizen.

At the consular interview, the visa will be denied and your wife will be instructed to submit 2 waivers, an I-601 and an I-212. The 601 is for the Misrep and the 212 is for the deportation. At the border, when they feel that Misrep has been committed, they do what is called and "Expedited Removal" which carries the same weight as if the person had been deported from within the United States.

Please do not think I'm being judgemental. . .something similar happened to my hubby.

The best place for information on these waivers is www.immigrate2us.net and the best attorneys for this type of waiver are www.visacentral.net and www.humanrightsattorney.com

Immigration law is federal, therefore you can hire an attorney from any state. One of these is from Texas, the other from California. Do not hire just any attorney for a 601, there are very few who know what they are doing.

It is possible to successfully do a 601 without an attorney using the information on the first link I provided. . .many of us have.

Good luck!

Timeline

As an aside, they are supposed to give her copies of all the paperwork. You can petition the POE with a Freedom of Information Act Request and they should send them to you. That is time consuming and probably won't be done by the time that you have an interview.

If the information you provided is correct (i.e. Misrep and returned on the next flight) then my information stands. They separated my husband and I for his questioning too, but I was there to take care of the paperwork and make sure we had copies of everything. Difference was we were at a land entry, so we had pretty mush all the time in the world.

Timeline
Yes, your wife has a permanent ban from the U.S. after being charged with Misrepresentation. It is waiveable as the spouse of a US Citizen.

At the consular interview, the visa will be denied and your wife will be instructed to submit 2 waivers, an I-601 and an I-212. The 601 is for the Misrep and the 212 is for the deportation. At the border, when they feel that Misrep has been committed, they do what is called and "Expedited Removal" which carries the same weight as if the person had been deported from within the United States.

Please do not think I'm being judgemental. . .something similar happened to my hubby.

The best place for information on these waivers is www.immigrate2us.net and the best attorneys for this type of waiver are www.visacentral.net and www.humanrightsattorney.com

Immigration law is federal, therefore you can hire an attorney from any state. One of these is from Texas, the other from California. Do not hire just any attorney for a 601, there are very few who know what they are doing.

It is possible to successfully do a 601 without an attorney using the information on the first link I provided. . .many of us have.

Good luck!

Yes but are we sure she's been charged with Misrepresentation? Because it could just be that they closed one eye on it...I don't know I just feel like they would write a code on the passport saying she was charged with something like that...I'm just guessing here and hoping for the best for them...

OUR TIMELINE for K1

OUR TIMELINE for AOS

OUR TIMELINE for I-751

Timeline

He said Misrepresentation himself. Also, they don't write the Misrep code, necessarily, in the passport. . .sometimes they don't even write any code in the passport. . .but trust me, they know as soon as they scan the passport or take the fingerprint.

It's nice to wish the best, but from the scenario he described, he's going to have to file the waivers.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am so sorry.

PM Obamo (MENA forums) on here. I think her SO recently had the same thing happen (earlier this year?). She has done extensive research and is fighting it.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
He said Misrepresentation himself. Also, they don't write the Misrep code, necessarily, in the passport. . .sometimes they don't even write any code in the passport. . .but trust me, they know as soon as they scan the passport or take the fingerprint.

It's nice to wish the best, but from the scenario he described, he's going to have to file the waivers.

Just to clarify, I got the word "misrepresentation" from reading the immigration law itself. The officer mentioned that she answered incorrectly about her prior visa refusal, but he didn't say "I'm charging her with misrepresentation, and this means that she has a lifetime ban that can be overcome with a waiver..."

I think that we're going to have to find out what the charges are somehow. I wonder if I can just call the POE and ask?

Also, what is meant by "expedited removal"? Given that they wrote 8 CFR 217.4 on her passport, it seems like she was removed according to the plain-old VWP guidelines.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Usually refused VWP applicants are allowed to withdraw their applicaton to enter.

She had a prior VWP entry issue?, that may be relevant.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Two possible ways to find out what they actually had her sign/charged her with. FOIA request from the POE:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/admin/fl/foia/ or and FBI fingerprint records check

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

The FBI records check takes less time, but is not guaranteed to have the information you need. . .the FOIA can take a long time. You can try calling the POE, though it will take a bit of maneuvering to get the info. if they'll even give it to you.

My apologies for jumping the gun. . .you quoted those laws and I read that this was what they had told you they charged her with. It is very possible it is nothing. . . .unless they did charge her with Misrep since they accused her of lying. They were supposed to give her copies of the forms.

Did they fingerprint her (all five)?

Photograph her(did one of the forms she had to sign have have her photo on it?)

Did they write the code 212a(7)a or 212 a (6)c anywhere on her paperwork?

Do you happen--long shot--to remember any of the form numbers that they made her sign?

Timeline
Two possible ways to find out what they actually had her sign/charged her with. FOIA request from the POE:

The FBI records check takes less time, but is not guaranteed to have the information you need. . .the FOIA can take a long time. You can try calling the POE, though it will take a bit of maneuvering to get the info. if they'll even give it to you.

My apologies for jumping the gun. . .you quoted those laws and I read that this was what they had told you they charged her with. It is very possible it is nothing. . . .unless they did charge her with Misrep since they accused her of lying. They were supposed to give her copies of the forms.

Do you happen--long shot--to remember any of the form numbers that they made her sign?

Yes, they took fingerprints of all five of her fingers and took her picture.

But, unfortunately, we're really not sure what she signed.

I asked the officers numerous times if she would be able to come on a spouse visa, and they never mentioned a lifetime ban or anything like that.

Well, a phone call can't hurt. Maybe the just made a mistake and didn't give her the paperwork.

Timeline

Don't they take your fingerpring and picture even if they deny u entry? They did it with me...

OUR TIMELINE for K1

OUR TIMELINE for AOS

OUR TIMELINE for I-751

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.