Rocky_nBullwinkle

Getting a job after arriving in USA

10 posts in this topic

Hello VJ members. How long did it take you to get a job after you arrived in the United States? Did you apply for your SSN right away? I came here on K-1 visa and two days after I arrived in CA, me and my then fiance went to the Social Security Office in Santa Rosa, CA to apply for my SSN. I got my SSN after four weeks in the mail. Would appreciate it if you share your experience here. Thanks. -- Marie

My Timeline

February 05, 2007 -- Bill mailed I129F application to USCIS Laguna Niguel, California

February 6, 2007 -- USCIS received I-129F.

February 8, 2007 -- Received I-797, Notice of Action

May 2, 2007 -- Received I-797C, Notice of action (Approval notice)

June 13, 2007 -- I received the K1 Visa Notice from the US Embassy

July 31, 2007 -- Medical examination at St. Luke's Medical Center Extension Clinic at J. Bocobo St., Ermita Manila.

August 7, 2007 -- Interview with the consulate at the US Embassy at Roxas Blvd., Manila.

August 9, 2007 -- I went back to the US Embassy to have my finger scanning (again) because the machine failed to register my fingerfrints .

August 15, 2007 -- Visa delivered by Delbros.(US embassy's official courier I guess).

August 24, 2007 -- CFO Seminar. A very important requirment before you leave the Philippines

September 29, 2007 -- Schedule of my flight going to San Francisco International Airport at 10:30 pm.

October 24, 2007 -- Wedding Day.

Adjustment of status

December 12, 2007 -- Mailed I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status in Chicago Illinois.

December 18, 2007 -- Received I-797C Notice of Action and I-765 (Emplyment Authorization Document).

January 10, 2008 -- Biometrics Appointment at the Application Support Center, Santa Rosa, CA 11:00 am.

February 2008-- Received my Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card.

May 27, 2008 -- Interview with USCIS officer in San Francisco, CA. Green card approved. Approval letter issued. EAD and I-94 surrendered.

June 3, 2008 -- Received "Welcome letter" from the USCIS. Green card received.

We are done with the USCIS for the next two years :thumbs:

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello VJ members. How long did it take you to get a job after you arrived in the United States? Did you apply for your SSN right away? I came here on K-1 visa and two days after I arrived in CA, me and my then fiance went to the Social Security Office in Santa Rosa, CA to apply for my SSN. I got my SSN after four weeks in the mail. Would appreciate it if you share your experience here. Thanks. -- Marie

My Timeline

February 05, 2007 -- Bill mailed I129F application to USCIS Laguna Niguel, California

July 31, 2007 -- Medical examination at St. Luke's Medical Center Extension Clinic at J. Bocobo St., Ermita Manila.

August 7, 2007 -- Interview with the consulate at the US Embassy at Roxas Blvd., Manila.

August 9, 2007 -- I went back to the US Embassy to have my finger scanning (again) because the machine failed to register my fingerfrints .

August 15, 2007 -- Visa delivered by Delbros.(US embassy's official courier I guess).

August 24, 2007 -- CFO Seminar. A very important requirment before you leave the Philippines

September 29, 2007 -- Schedule of my flight going to San Francisco International Airport at 10:30 pm.

Adjustment of status

December 12, 2007 -- Mailed I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status in Chicago Illinois.

December 18, 2007 -- Received I-797C Notice of Action and I-765 (Emplyment Authorization Document).

January 10, 2008 -- Biometrics Appointment at the Application Support Center, Santa Rosa, CA 11:00 am.

May 27, 2008 -- Interview with USCIS officer in San Francisco, CA. Green card approved. Approval letter issued. EAD and I-94 surrendered.

When I came to America, my green card was given to me upon my arrival at the airport in San Francisco. Two days after my arrival, my aunt drove me to the SSA office in San Jose to apply for a SS number. My SS number came in after a week and then I started to look for a job. Through a personnel agency, I was able to land a job as a Full Charge Bookkeeper for a wholesale food distributor in Redwood City, Calif. By the way, my employer paid for the placement fee. That was very fast, wasn't it?

After 3 months on the job, I was able to buy a car, a spanking brand new Ford Mustang, and moved to an apartment of my own in Mountain View, Calif. And, with just a green card, I petitioned my wife and my 7 month old daughter, whom I both left in Davao. They came in 6 months after the petition.

Yup, you are right, everything happened so rapidly. But then, that was 35 years ago! :star::star::star:

Timeline

Mr. Moderator,

Please transfer this back to the PI forum. This doesn't have anything to do with working prior to getting a green card. This thread is about working after a greencard. We want to gather experiences and comments from our compatriots who are now here in America and this will also assist or inform those who are still in the Philippines as to what lies at the end of the rainbow. Besides, responses in Tagalog might be coming in soon.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi sonomacountygal,

Como esta? Talaga bang mahirap ang trabajo ngayon diyan sa California? My boy friend says that it's very tough there these days and, also, lots of state employees have been removed from the payroll by the governor. Sana ma approve yong $700B bailout so that credit can be eased again. Ilocano ka pala kagaya ng novio ko. Dios ti agngina.

philippines-Flag.gifgolfer.gifcalifornia.gif

3014749141_d554587673.jpg

Here is my timeline:

08/24 POE

08/29 Assigned SSN

09/04 Started applying to jobs

09/08 Received SSC

09/25 Received a job offer & accepted

I met with HR and had my pre-employment health screening this Monday and will begin orientation next week! hope this helps

Edited by kaffy

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

My Timeline

Adjustment of status

When I came to America, my green card was given to me upon my arrival at the airport in San Francisco. Two days after my arrival, my aunt drove me to the SSA office in San Jose to apply for a SS number. My SS number came in after a week and then I started to look for a job. Through a personnel agency, I was able to land a job as a Full Charge Bookkeeper for a wholesale food distributor in Redwood City, Calif. By the way, my employer paid for the placement fee. That was very fast, wasn't it?

After 3 months on the job, I was able to buy a car, a spanking brand new Ford Mustang, and moved to an apartment of my own in Mountain View, Calif. And, with just a green card, I petitioned my wife and my 7 month old daughter, whom I both left in Davao. They came in 6 months after the petition.

Yup, you are right, everything happened so rapidly. But then, that was 35 years ago! :star::star::star:

Wow, that was fast indeed AJAnTESS'. You've accomplished a lot in a very short span of time. You are lucky one. I just don't know know if things are still the same right now. Oh well, say hi to your wife and daughter.

Hokey Smoke!

Hi sonomacountygal,

Como esta? Talaga bang mahirap ang trabajo ngayon diyan sa California? My boy friend says that it's very tough there these days and, also, lots of state employees have been removed from the payroll by the governor. Sana ma approve yong $700B bailout so that credit can be eased again. Ilocano ka pala kagaya ng novio ko. Dios ti agngina.

Bien Senorita Teresita. Y Usted, como esta? Talagang mahirap ang economiya ngayon sa California. My husband said too many Mexicans flooding the job market. I was looking for a job for more than two months. Finally got a job with a major discount chain for a little more than a minimum wage. I'm still looking for a better job, but no joy. The governor wanted to raise the sales tax 1%, but it didn't happen. Galit sa kanya ang aking asawa kapag nangyari yan. :devil: We are headed for depression no matter what. I think the $700 billion bailout will just make it worse. Make the bubble bigger before it bursts. Wen apo. Ilocana ako. Was born and raised in Alicia Isabela. Dios ti angina. -- Marie

Hokey Smoke!

Timeline

My Timeline

Adjustment of status

Wow, that was fast indeed AJAnTESS'. You've accomplished a lot in a very short span of time. You are lucky one. I just don't know know if things are still the same right now. Oh well, say hi to your wife and daughter.

Hi Marie,

Processing times now are real slow compared to 35 years ago. Ammom, Marie, nabalo akon, natayen daydi asawak. Ket dayta ading daydi baket co nga adda diay Davao, ni Senorita Teresita, isu ti fianceek ita. My daughter has her own family now, she has 4 kids and they live in Sugar Land, Texas. I noticed that you and Teresita are exchanging posts. Regards.

Edited by AJAnTESS

Hi Marie,

Processing times now are real slow compared to 35 years ago. Ammom, Marie, nabalo akon, natayen daydi asawak. Ket dayta ading daydi baket co nga adda diay Davao, ni Senorita Teresita, isu ti fianceek ita. My daughter has her own family now, she has 4 kids and they live in Sugar Land, Texas. I noticed that you and Teresita are exchanging posts. Regards.

Congratulations to you and best wishes to her. When is she coming to join you in the United States?

Hokey Smoke!

• 2 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I took me a while to get a job. I still do not have a decent job even though I have a BA from American university. The job market is horrible right now. It is just so hard to find a job. And also as an immigrant, it is super hard to get a job without having working experience in the US.

Right now I work at Disneyland which I do not like it at all. I do not get enough hours. But, I have to be patient until things get better.

Seriously it drives me insane. But, what can I do?

I want to go back to school and take some computer classes, but I have to wait to be a CA resident. Otherwise I have to pay over 200 dollars per unit.

In next summer, I will be considered as a CA resident. So we will see.

06/19/2008 POE at LAX with K1 visa

06/28/2008 Married my husband

07/03/2008 Update my social security card

07/19/2008 AOS, EAD, AP mailed to Chicago lock box

07/21/2008 AOS, EAD, AP were received

07/28/2008 NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/04/2008 Biometric appointment letter arrived

08/15/2008 Biometric at Santa Ana office

10/21/2008 No update since biometric- contacted a local congressman, the ombudsman

10/22/2008 Was able to do service request

10/23/2008 EAD was approved

10/24/2008 AOS interview letter arrived

11/26/2008 Renew my State ID

12/10/2008 AOS interview approved right away

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.