lotuspearls

K-1, co-support no longer accepted?

54 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

My Fiance just messaged me saying the embassy just changed the rules, and no longer accepts co-support. Our final interview is in BKK is tomorrow.

Any truth to this, or is it a future rule to implemented?

My goddddd, scaring me.

Thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
My Fiance just messaged me saying the embassy just changed the rules, and no longer accepts co-support. Our final interview is in BKK is tomorrow.

My goddddd, scaring me.

Thanks

Please fill in your timeline.

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/intro.php?cfl=

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

My goddddd, scaring me.

Thanks

Have her take anything you've sent her anyway. I don't think the I-134 technically has ever had a co-sponsor. They just want some assurance she won't become a public charge. As far as recent announcements, I haven't seen any, but that does not mean they aren't there.

Best wishes on the interview. Keep us posted

Timeline

OK I understand, she is understandably freaking out. Maybe now they have become more strict on taxes. She is on this website as well and keeps hearing the taxes are being focussed on. I am self employed and like many show no income, but good real estate etc.

Thanksssssssssssss

Have her take anything you've sent her anyway. I don't think the I-134 technically has ever had a co-sponsor. They just want some assurance she won't become a public charge. As far as recent announcements, I haven't seen any, but that does not mean they aren't there.

Best wishes on the interview. Keep us posted

Filed: Timeline

My goddddd, scaring me.

Thanks

Technically they don't accept co-sponsors but really they do. I know that doesn't make sense, but basically I emailed the US embassy in BKK about using a co-sponsor and they told me they don't accept co-sponsors.

I asked my lawyer as well as people on the sawasdee thread and really they do accept co-sponsors. I had to use a co-sponsor as well and my fiance just received her visa.

Don't worry you're fine.

My son's wife just got approved for a visa in Bangkok and he had -0- taxable income for 2007. What he did have was a notarized letter explaining his situation (suggested by the visa information service of the State Dept.) and a sealed envelope from Dad. He does not know if they opened the latter, but I'm assuming they did. My son also included a number of things that weren't requested to show he could support his wife, including his college diploma.

Don't lose sleep over this, although I'll understand if you do.

Thai Mom

Timeline

Wow, thanks for more positive info. I made a letter explaining my situation as well similiar to this. I am self employed and have had my own company for 20+ years, but I relocated in the last couple years and have reinvested all possible monies back into the business, thus, no income shown.

I told her your comments and she feels a little better now. We all know how devastating this can be.

Any other last minute tips? Her appointment is 9am BKK monday. Whew

Thanksssssssssss

My son's wife just got approved for a visa in Bangkok and he had -0- taxable income for 2007. What he did have was a notarized letter explaining his situation (suggested by the visa information service of the State Dept.) and a sealed envelope from Dad. He does not know if they opened the latter, but I'm assuming they did. My son also included a number of things that weren't requested to show he could support his wife, including his college diploma.

Thai Mom

Filed: Timeline
Wow, thanks for more positive info. I made a letter explaining my situation as well similiar to this. I am self employed and have had my own company for 20+ years, but I relocated in the last couple years and have reinvested all possible monies back into the business, thus, no income shown.

I told her your comments and she feels a little better now. We all know how devastating this can be.

Any other last minute tips? Her appointment is 9am BKK monday. Whew

Thanksssssssssss

Thai Mom

It's better to be safe than sorry, so I agree with Thai mom that including a letter explaining why you have no income would be good.

For me, I'm just a student with no job/income whatsoever, so I had to have a co-sponsor. I didn't include a letter stating why I had no income, and my fiance got her visa just fine. However, it is better if you provide a letter, better to be safe than sorry.

Your fiance's interview is tomorrow? POST THIS in the sawasdee thread as it's a thread pertaining specifically to Thailand visas. You'll get a lot more information there on the interview in BKK, etc.

Good luck. Here's a link to sawasdee.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...&start=3330

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Begging now

:time:

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

really man, c'mon

besides, Taxes are not the issue. The issue is able to support her and not be a ward of the state.

such as a welfare recipient.........

Edited by Birch-Beer

really man, c'mon

besides, Taxes are not the issue. The issue is able to support her and not be a ward of the state.

such as a welfare recipient.........

I agree, taxes are not the issue. However, Bangkok and many other consulates specifically request tax returns. I suspect the reason is that it makes their job easier just to see a certain amount of income that is officially accounted for. Paying taxes also indicates fiscal responsibility. There are many valid reasons for no, or low income and not filing taxes, so consular officers consider those explanations and supporting documentation in their decisions. It takes them longer to review the evidence in these cases, and given the volume of visa adjudications, a nice figure on form 1040 is their friend. It never hurts to have someone with deep pockets standing in the wings for any case that isn't clear cut. The classic example is the college student and their parents.

Timeline

We were denied. We are shocked and stunned!!! Taxes were given as the sole reason, and my fathers strong co-support documents were ignored and she was told no longer accepted.

This is total deception and discrimination by the government. They allowed us to spend thousands of dollars and so much more, only to change the requirements at the final day of the process.

This cannot be legal. This is absolute descrimination of low income Americans. Are there and civil rights lawyers on this site?

So Sorry, I am devastated and rambling, I am out of my mind. I will try to attach a copy of her denail letter when i get it from her.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
This cannot be legal. This is absolute descrimination of low income Americans. Are there and civil rights lawyers on this site?

I am sorry for your situation but since you asked.... Family based immigration is a priveledge and not an inalienable right....

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.