Shannon and David

Social security swears that the Post Office lost the card

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi all!

I just need to let off a little steam. So, we went back to the SS office for the 4th time today to let them know that we still hadn't received David's card. We applied on the 13th of June...

So, they decided that we need to start the application process over again so he can get a new number and we should consider that other number worthless (that they already gave us) because we didn't receive the actual piece of paper - SS card. She asks for an EAD, I tell her that with a K-1 visa, one doesn't need an EAD to apply for a SSN. She says that in her directions that she's reading on the computer, it says that for a K-1 visa holder, he has to have an EAD.

What?! Anyway, don't forget your policy paper in the "How to Apply for a SS Card" guides section. I brought it with me for the first application and shame on me for forgetting it for the second round.

I'd love to know however, where she got the info that says that he has to have an EAD for a K-1 visa holder. The policy couldn't have changed in the last month? Could it? Anybody recently have serious problems with the policy paper that says that he can apply for a card without specific work authorization?

Here's the link to the SS policy...

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx...33;opendocument

Thanks!!!

AOS & getting the SSN & the I-693

6/13/08 Applied for SSN for David ----- TRIP 1; 6/23/08 Went back to SSA 'cuz the person didn't pc all documents (rec'd letter from them) ----- TRIP 2

7/2/08 Received David's health insurance cards! Yay!

7/3/08 Went back to SSA; they said come back 7/9 if he still hasn't received it ----- TRIP 3

7/8/08 Got list of vaccines he still needed from CS by fax/phone; tested for immunity to MMR (only vaccine still needed) at our family dr

7/9 & 7/10/08 Went back to SSA, card still not received - Denied opportunity to apply for replacement ----- TRIP 4; Went back to SSA again to apply for a replacement card - Talked to a supervisor this time, POE people entered his last name incorrectly ----- TRIP 5; went to get David's ID thru the State, denied - instructions wrong on website; measles test inconclusive, another test needed; requested new lease

7/14/08 SSA called me in regards to problems at local SSA office

7/15/08 INFOPASS appt to fix POE name input error and then went to airport to fix POE name error

7/17/08 Received SSN card in mail and went to get state ID

7/21/08 State ID received in the mail and tested again for measles immunity

7/29/08 MMR shot #2 given and dropped off papers at Civil Surgeon (CS)

7/31/08 Picked up I-693, completed by local CS, (I paid $25, don't be fooled)

8/3 - 8/6/08 Worked on forms I-485, G-325A, I-864, I-765 and I-131; sent to Chicago - YESSS!

8/11/08 NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP; 9/2/08 Transfered to CSC; 9/4/08 Biometrics

10/24/08 Rec'd AP; 10/27/08 Rec'd EAD; 11/24/08 Rec'd GC

Filed: Timeline
Hi all!

I just need to let off a little steam. So, we went back to the SS office for the 4th time today to let them know that we still hadn't received David's card. We applied on the 13th of June...

So, they decided that we need to start the application process over again so he can get a new number and we should consider that other number worthless (that they already gave us) because we didn't receive the actual piece of paper - SS card. She asks for an EAD, I tell her that with a K-1 visa, one doesn't need an EAD to apply for a SSN. She says that in her directions that she's reading on the computer, it says that for a K-1 visa holder, he has to have an EAD.

What?! Anyway, don't forget your policy paper in the "How to Apply for a SS Card" guides section. I brought it with me for the first application and shame on me for forgetting it for the second round.

I'd love to know however, where she got the info that says that he has to have an EAD for a K-1 visa holder. The policy couldn't have changed in the last month? Could it? Anybody recently have serious problems with the policy paper that says that he can apply for a card without specific work authorization?

If he was assigned an SSN he needs to apply for a replacement card. You don't apply for a new number when you don't receive the card.

If the other application was just processed they should have it on file in the office without him needing to submit another. Office normally hold applications for 30 days after it's been processed before sending them to be archived.

Has he been here over 76 days?

BTW which SSA office was this?

Timeline
Hi all!

If he was assigned an SSN he needs to apply for a replacement card. You don't apply for a new number when you don't receive the card.

If the other application was just processed they should have it on file in the office without him needing to submit another. Office normally hold applications for 30 days after it's been processed before sending them to be archived.

Has he been here over 76 days?

BTW which SSA office was this?

What?! Ok, so now this woman is giving me totally wrong information!? That we shouldn't even have to re-apply... UGH!!!

She asked for all of the documentation again. I-94, passport, then EAD. I tried offering her our marriage license EVERY time we went in there and she didn't want it. The first time I had the policy paper from the website with me and had no problems with the application after I showed her the policy paper, but then we received the request for more info on the 23rd of June (copy of I-94; what!? Didn't she copy it the first time we were in there??!! We gave it to her.)

Nope, he hasn't been here over 76 days. He arrived 5/2. We've been waiting for this card since 6/13!!! See my signature below.

It's one of the SSA offices in Baltimore.

6/13/08 Applied for SSN for David ----- TRIP 1; 6/23/08 Went back to SSA 'cuz the person didn't pc all documents (rec'd letter from them) ----- TRIP 2

7/3/08 Went back to SSA; they said come back 7/9 if he still hasn't received it ----- TRIP 3

7/8/08 Got list of vaccines he still needed from CS by fax/phone; tested for immunity to MMR (only vaccine still needed) at our family dr

7/9 & 7/10/08 Went back to SSA, card still not received - Denied opportunity to apply for replacement ----- TRIP 4; Went back to SSA again to apply for a replacement card - Talked to a supervisor this time, POE people entered his last name incorrectly ----- TRIP 5; went to get David's ID thru the State, denied - instructions wrong on website; measles test inconclusive, another test needed; requested new lease

7/15/08 INFOPASS appt to fix POE name input error and then went to airport to fix POE name error

8/3 - 8/6/08 Worked on forms I-485, G-325A, I-864, I-765 and I-131; sent to Chicago - YESSS!

What?! Ok, so now this woman is giving me totally wrong information!? That we shouldn't even have to re-apply... UGH!!!

She asked for all of the documentation again. I-94, passport, then EAD. I tried offering her our marriage license EVERY time we went in there and she didn't want it. The first time I had the policy paper from the website with me and had no problems with the application after I showed her the policy paper, but then we received the request for more info on the 23rd of June (copy of I-94; what!? Didn't she copy it the first time we were in there??!! We gave it to her.)

Nope, he hasn't been here over 76 days. He arrived 5/2. We've been waiting for this card since 6/13!!! See my signature below.

It's one of the SSA offices in Baltimore.

They probably wanted to see if his immigration status was still valid, but he shouldn't need to sign another application. Before another card can be issued his status needs to be verified, but that shouldn't be a big deal since the SSN was just assigned and he hasn't been here over 76 days.

Timeline

Ugh! OK... here's what happened. So, it turns out that the person at the POE who entered his name into the comptuer system entered it incorrectly (two last names became one and the first and middle names became the first name) and that was why the SSN card didn't end up printing...

I finally talked to a supervisor today at SSA to deal with this for us today. Fifth trip! She said that we should just get the SS card with the wrong name on it (see paragraph one) and then go see USCIS (make an INFOPASS appt) to correct the name. Then, after we get the green card, we'll eventually have to go back to SSA and fix his card. They said that since the POE people entered his name incorrectly that we'd have to get the SS card with the wrong name for now if we wanted the card at all (since he's so close now to the 2 weeks before the I-94 expires). Otherwise, we'd have to wait for his GC to get here to re-apply for his SSN.

Total craziness! This amazes me that the person at the POE actually entered his name incorrectly. Guess that it's good that we found this out now so that we can correct it in the system early on.

Ugh! OK... here's what happened. So, it turns out that the person at the POE who entered his name into the comptuer system entered it incorrectly (two last names became one and the first and middle names became the first name) and that was why the SSN card didn't end up printing...

I finally talked to a supervisor today at SSA to deal with this for us today. Fifth trip! She said that we should just get the SS card with the wrong name on it (see paragraph one) and then go see USCIS (make an INFOPASS appt) to correct the name. Then, after we get the green card, we'll eventually have to go back to SSA and fix his card. They said that since the POE people entered his name incorrectly that we'd have to get the SS card with the wrong name for now if we wanted the card at all (since he's so close now to the 2 weeks before the I-94 expires). Otherwise, we'd have to wait for his GC to get here to re-apply for his SSN.

Total craziness! This amazes me that the person at the POE actually entered his name incorrectly. Guess that it's good that we found this out now so that we can correct it in the system early on.

So did they give him the SSN of this card that is supposed to be issued? Have they ever given him a number?

Timeline
So did they give him the SSN of this card that is supposed to be issued? Have they ever given him a number?

Yes, we got the SSN three visits ago. The application was for a replacement card that we did today.

Thanks so much for your help! I felt a lot better knowing what was SUPPOSED to happen when I went in there today.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.