LV Couple

Which Citizenship Exam to Study For

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

We just received the NOA for the N-400. USCIS sent the NOA in 4 days after receiving the application!

Question to the recent filers out there. Are you studying for the old test or new test? We know that if you file before 10/1/08 and interview between 10/1/08 - 10/1/09 you can choose either the new test or old test. We are predicting that my wife's interview will be between 10/1/08 - 10/1/09. Hopefully closer to 10/1/08!

One interesting piece of information. I talked to an immigration lawyer with some questions on the N-400 and she said that USCIS is trying to process as many applications as they can to get as many people to be able to vote. She said they are even working weekends and she wasn't joking!

We just received the NOA for the N-400. USCIS sent the NOA in 4 days after receiving the application!

Question to the recent filers out there. Are you studying for the old test or new test? We know that if you file before 10/1/08 and interview between 10/1/08 - 10/1/09 you can choose either the new test or old test. We are predicting that my wife's interview will be between 10/1/08 - 10/1/09. Hopefully closer to 10/1/08!

One interesting piece of information. I talked to an immigration lawyer with some questions on the N-400 and she said that USCIS is trying to process as many applications as they can to get as many people to be able to vote. She said they are even working weekends and she wasn't joking!

old test

11/03/2007 - Mailed N-400

11/05/2007 - Delivered to NSC

11/09/2007 - Checked Cashed

11/10/2007 - Return Signature Receipt Received

11/05/2007 - Priority Date

12/03/2007 - NOA1 Receipt Notice Received

12/13/2007 - NOA2 Fingerprints Received

01/02/2008 - Fingerprinting Done

02/11/2008 - NOA3 Interview Notice Received - April 10th, 2008

04/10/2008 - Interview Done - APPROVED

08/15/2008 - Oath Letter Received

09/10/2008 - US Citizen

09/24/2008 - Applied for US Passport

10/06/2008 - US Passport Received

10/09/2008 - Passport Card and Naturalization Certificate Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
old test

Who is John G. Roberts, Jr. anyway, nominated by Bush and approved by a salve congress so we have balance of powers in the three branches of government. Hmmmm? But either you know he is the Chief justice of the Supreme Court or you don't. This like the other 95 questions have to be memorized or learning by rote as it is called. And the best way to learn is by pure repetition, some questions can be answered with logical deduction, none of that here, arbitrary questions with arbitrary answers.

Did read someplace, think it was in the M-476 manual where if you can find an approved citizenship course, you can supply a certificate in lieu of taking the verbal quiz. But that can be more troublesome than just reading and rereading the questions and answers over and over again. Some are gifted in that they only have to glance at them once, others have to sweat it out.

Recall old motivational techniques used when I was in Catholic school or in the military, if I couldn't recite three questions in the old Baltimore catechism, would get a whack on the back of the hand by the nun with her pointer. Military was the same way, if you didn't know the name of the guy that was Secretary of Defense, give me 50. Guess they figured if you didn't have it upstairs at least you will have the muscle power. Ha, hardly techniques you would want to use with your immigrant spouse in learning those 96 questions and answers, but it does work! Just plan on sleeping on the couch, LOL.

The interview appointment form recommends you use "Learn About the United States: Quick Civics Lessons'", that you can download free from www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-638.pdf that gives about a paragraph with each question to help reenforce memorizing the answer.

Can also download flash cards if that is your bag from http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-623.pdf, but make sure you have a supply of color inkjet cartridges, some index cards, and a jar of paste. The idea of a flash card enters both visual and hearing data. , two of your five senses to penetrate your brain. Ha, can coat each card with a different odor to reach your smell senses, with a different flavor to reach your taste sense, and some kind of aggregate to reach your feel senses as well.

My method of learning for a test just consists of reading the questions and answers right before the test. Did that for a drivers written test, walked in and grabbed a booklet, went back to my car and covered it in about ten minutes. Ha, must of flipped a page, because I missed one of the questions so only got 49 out of the 50 right, but who cares, I passed.

Can download and print this out for a quick review.

http://www.***removed***/citizenship/us-cit...nformation.html

Good luck, test sure doesn't tell much about this country, but if that is all they want, that is all they will get. Is it really true that only congress can declare war? And if we are one country, why do we have 50 states with 50 different sets of rules?

Timeline

In the news this morning:

Supreme Court backs rights for Guantanamo detainees

Yet another infamous 5-4 decision by our Supreme Court.

In response to this decision:

"In dissent, Chief Justice John Roberts criticized his colleagues for striking down what he called "the most generous set of procedural protections ever afforded aliens detained by this country as enemy combatants."

This is an example of lack of balance of powers, John G. Roberts, Jr is just a puppet of Bush. As an American citizen and a veteran, I am against holding anyone for six years without proper evidence or not even being charged with a crime. This only results in that country considered to be our enemy to be even more violent against us and certainly does not help the peace process. War in history hasn't proved anything just resulting in death and destruction. And if our guys were treated and held like that, we would go in and try these people as war criminals, we certainly are not setting the example.

But if knowing more about John G. Roberts, Jr as our Chief Justice of the Supreme Court helps you to remember one answer to one question to get your US citizenship, so be it.

Timeline

Reorganized the questions by category and in columns for two printed on both side sheets to aid my wife and including that as an attachment, but not sure how that works on this site.

May have to change the name of your senators and governor or just tell them you are from WI. Should be able to read and memorize all the questions and answers in 30 minutes before you go in, or even 5 minutes with a clear head.

FLAG_QUESTIONS.doc

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.