LizScott

Temporary SSN

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Can I apply for a temporary Social Security Number with the K3 Visa? My husband is in the US Army... And is the medical covered with his medical insurance or we still have to pay for it out of our own pocket?

Can I apply for a temporary Social Security Number with the K3 Visa? My husband is in the US Army... And is the medical covered with his medical insurance or we still have to pay for it out of our own pocket?
To get a SSN as K-3, you need to have EAD or green card.

Filed: Timeline

Hi, you can apply for a restricted SSN# which means you cannot use it to work, when the work permit part of your K3 comes through you can have an unrestricted SSN#

Your medical is covered by Tri-Care and your Husband needs to add you as a dependant to his policy (you will then receive a Tri-Care ID card) http://www.tricare.mil/ .... you also need to be put into the DEERS system and do not need a SSN# for this (they give you a temporary number on your paperwork which needs to be updated every 3 months until you get your SSN#), you can then get your Dependant ID card from the base (any base in the world where there are U.S. Military personnel stationed should issue it ... I got mine in England).

This card will be very helpful when it comes to interview time, just flash it to the Military guys on the door with your appointment letter, and you'll probably notice a big difference in how you're treated.

You can then go to any U.S. Military base in the world and get medical treatment too .... I had my teeth done (beautifully may I add) in England where good dentists are scarce and was more than impressed.

I just turned up with my Dependant ID card and there were no questions asked, just filled out the form and had amazing treatment and then went shopping in the commissary :yes:

You are now a dependant of the US Military and therefore part of the support structure for the defense of the USA .... regardless of the terrible treatment USCIS give you, at least I've noticed that the Military guys do tend to try and look after you .... wherever you are in the world.

Sarah x

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=111988

Edited by KipandSarahJayne

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

No such thing as a temporary Social Security Number.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
This website link should help you

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/cards.htm

So, yes, you can get a SSN but at the moment it will just be work restricted until you're valid to work, but at least you'll have a number :thumbs:

First, I see no timeline or indication a visa has been issued or used by the OP. Second, a K3 visa doesn't entitle its holder to an SSN. K3 visa holders need EAD or a Green card to get an SSN.

However, I doubt an SSN is needed to get on military benefit programs. That's a separate issue.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi, you can apply for a restricted SSN# which means you cannot use it to work, when the work permit part of your K3 comes through you can have an unrestricted SSN#

Your medical is covered by Tri-Care and your Husband needs to add you as a dependant to his policy (you will then receive a Tri-Care ID card) http://www.tricare.mil/ .... you also need to be put into the DEERS system and do not need a SSN# for this (they give you a temporary number on your paperwork which needs to be updated every 3 months until you get your SSN#), you can then get your Dependant ID card from the base (any base in the world where there are U.S. Military personnel stationed should issue it ... I got mine in England).

This card will be very helpful when it comes to interview time, just flash it to the Military guys on the door with your appointment letter, and you'll probably notice a big difference in how you're treated.

You can then go to any U.S. Military base in the world and get medical treatment too .... I had my teeth done (beautifully may I add) in England where good dentists are scarce and was more than impressed.

I just turned up with my Dependant ID card and there were no questions asked, just filled out the form and had amazing treatment and then went shopping in the commissary :yes:

You are now a dependant of the US Military and therefore part of the support structure for the defense of the USA .... regardless of the terrible treatment USCIS give you, at least I've noticed that the Military guys do tend to try and look after you .... wherever you are in the world.

Sarah x

Hi Sarah

Thanks for the info..very helpful. But right now we're still on the process of mailing our i 130..when should i start to apply for the SSN? Should I enclose the form DS 230 with the I 130? Thank you and will be waiting for your response.

Filed: Timeline

Hi Liz,

As you're just starting with your applications, firstly, I'd send the I-129F with the I-130 at the same time if you wish to go for K3 .... it's a personal preference matter obviously, it's just I noticed a lot of people did that, therefore saving time waiting for NOA1 .... and the I-129F I understand is free when it's associated with the I-130.

This will make for double the work at the start off, but save you the hassle of doing it later if you so wish.

California seem to be approving the I-129F's whereas it's been noticed that Vermont has actually administratively closed some of them and only appear to be approving the I-130's .... of course this could change.

If you're Husband is currently deployed (or going to be), then I wouldn't bother with the K3 route as it's pointless when you have expedite options available ..... just send the I-130 with the deployment orders and use the Military Expedite option .... it should be a very quick approval that way, and should follow through all sections of the visa process.

Do utilise the Military Immigration Helpline especially in this case (1-877-CIS-4MIL (1-877-247-4645)) and they will walk you through the process ... the USCIS officers on the end of the helpline are for Military only and are more than helpful during the whole process .... they can even give you details on what is happening with your case as they have access to the system.

As far as the SSN is concerned at this stage, don't worry about it, you don't need it. There's a section on the paperwork where you opt for the Social Security Office to send you one at the end of the process.

As you are Military, you should also be able to get an expedited interview appointment once at the NVC stage .... or maybe run the Consulate stage concurrently by utilising the Military channels as we were advised by the helpline.

Let me reiterate .... you do not need a SSN at this stage ..... to get your Dependant ID you'll just need a copy of the wedding certificate, Husband's SSN, his Military email address, your passport and your local drivers license. I also took a copy of Husband's military ID too which was helpful. Any Military base on the planet where there are American Military Personnel stationed should be able to help, mine was done by the US Navy.

They put you onto DEERS first, and then issue your card .... where the SSN goes, you get a temporary number instead, and therefore you need to update your details every 3 months, till you're Stateside. Till you move, you really don't need a SSN and it may be difficult to get when outside of the US.

Alternatively, if your Husband is still in the US, just send him a copy of the biographic page of your passport and he can go to the DEERS office on base with that and a copy of the wedding certificate and have you added to the system. He will then be given a DD Form 1172 with your details on. Again, as you have a temporary number in the SSN box on this form, you'll need to be updated every 3 months. An ID card can only be issued to you in person, so, you will need to visit a base for that.

Medical cover will come into effect once you're on the DEERS system, and your Husband adds you to his Tri-Care policy as a dependant. Again, with this you should be able to get medical coverage at any US Military base in the world. But also, there a few civillian doctors and dentists who take Tri-Care .... do check the Tri-Care website for details, I posted the website on one of my other replies to you.

I hope this was helpful, if you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask the on the following thread

Sarah x

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.