SpiritAlight

Changing Careers

38 posts in this topic

Hello Wonder-Full VJers,

I have been working as a graphic designer most of my life, although I have done many other things.

And I was contemplating going to learn more about animation and CG to do create more interesting thingies.

However, then I stopped to think: aaaaahhhh more time sitting and staring at a computer screen.

Even my thoughts of following through on filmmaking, i.e. editing, etc. is all about sitting and going buggy eyed. Bleh.

What to do...

So, as a person who loves creativity and loves to help others as well, any suggestions on interesting fields to look into?

Or ways of working that I have little or no knowledge of?

I would like to apply to be a muse and/or catalyst.

Where do I look? :lol:

Has anyone done or know of someone who has so radically changed what they do for income that improved their fulfillment in life???

(Tall order, I know...) :yes:

I read the thread on what people do for work..Now how about those of you who changed careers and why and how you did it.

Feel free to go nuts!

Hee, hee.

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

my hubby is kind of changing careers.. he has been working in warehouses for the last couple of years, driving forklifts and stuff... he hates this kind of work...

so right now he is in school taking classes to become a air conditioning technician... he says he will enjoy this so much more because he can be more independent... plus it pays more.. :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Cool. Good stuff!

Thanks.

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Over & out, Spirit

I changed careers about 5 years ago now. Actually I went from doing something I loved with a passion to something that had the potential to earn $'s. It's not impossible, in fact if you have the right attitude it's much easier that most people would have you believe. I also know someone who gave up a music career to become a research scientist with no previous experience or qualifications!

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I would love to do something different, but the job market here is so stagnant and I make pretty good money. Its unlikely I would find something that pays equal, if not more. So, I guess I'll stay put for a while longer.

Edited by julezabelle

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hmmmnnn...

lemme see....

worked at the stock market for 5 years.... switched and pretended to be a broadcast journalist..... now craving to have a no-brainer job in the u.s.

obviously when i finally land that job, i will take a pay cut, be demoted, take orders from someone way younger than moi (fate will try to test my patience!) and .... will have lots and lots of free personal time to be with my husband... and spend glorious hours just being together! now that sounds blissful to me.

who cares if i wont be able to afford to buy the things i used to love? there's more to life than owning material things... and i'm so thankful i discovered that before it's too late :)

Edited by ed_and_sue

I changed careers about 5 years ago now. Actually I went from doing something I loved with a passion to something that had the potential to earn $'s. It's not impossible, in fact if you have the right attitude it's much easier that most people would have you believe. I also know someone who gave up a music career to become a research scientist with no previous experience or qualifications!

:lol:

That's so great!

I would love to do something different, but the job market here is so stagnant and I make pretty good money. Its unlikely I would find something that pays equal, if not more. So, I guess I'll stay put for a while longer.

There always is that problem, isn't there.

Hmmmm...

I'd like to be an accountant when I grow up.

I'm certain YOU can do anything you set your mind to.

When are you thinking of "growing up"?

Hee, hee.

Over & out, Spirit

hmmmnnn...

lemme see....

worked at the stock market for 5 years.... switched and pretended to be a broadcast journalist..... now craving to have a no-brainer job in the u.s.

obviously when i finally land that job, i will take a pay cut, be demoted, take orders from someone way younger than moi (fate will try to test my patience!) and .... will have lots and lots of free personal time to be with my husband... and spend glorious hours just being together! now that sounds blissful to me.

who cares if i wont be able to afford to buy the things i used to love? there's more to life than owning material things... and i'm so thankful i discovered that before it's too late :)

Yes yes yes, this is a good, nay, a great thing!

And people who usually take a pay cut to change careers, climb back up quickly!

Although that is not my goal...personal fulfillment is.

$$ has never driven me.

I want to serve others...you know??

When are you thinking of "growing up"?

Tomorrow.

Bah!

Ah, why bother?

Have you ever seen "Harold and Maude"?

Over & out, Spirit

I want to serve others too.

My other personalities, that is. Taking care of all of their unique needs is a full time job!

OMG!

I not only understand what you mean, I think I'm doin' it!

Tee, hee.

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I want to serve others too.

My other personalities, that is. Taking care of all of their unique needs is a full time job!

here you go

Mcdonalds.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!