Mia Sav

my interview experience at the Manila Embassy

29 posts in this topic

Manila Embassy Interview Experience – March 12, 2008

Here is my post regarding my interview experience on 03/12/08 at the Manila Embassy. I hope this will help others who are still preparing for their interview in the future.

2:31 AM – Arrived outside of the embassy gates and went to sit in one of the concrete benches. I was with my sister-in- law who was also with me during my medical exam. It was funny coz as soon as we got out of the taxi I tried to look for a line of fellow applicants and found none. We realized we were too early and we were first in line. We had a good laugh about this. :lol: At around 3AM other fellow applicants started to arrive. I met K1 applicants here in VJ and we started chatting to pass the time. I know all of us were nervous and can’t wait to be assured that we got approved! :unsure:

4:30 AM – The guards started letting applicants with 6:30AM appointments go inside the embassy premises. We left our electronic gadgets to one of the applicant’s mom since it is strictly prohibited inside the embassy. The security guard checked our appointment letter & valid ID. Once inside the embassy grounds we were told to take a seat at the covered waiting area and wait for the signal to go inside the embassy building.

6:00 AM – We were instructed to fall in line for entrance into the embassy building. The guard checked our valid ID and appointment letter then told us to proceed inside the building & go thru the electronic scanner to check that we don’t bring things they don’t allow. We were led to the immigrant section unit. The guard told me to sit close to the restroom and told me my application will be processed first because I am a disabled person. I went to use the restroom fast and waited for further instructions.

6:15 AM – An announcement was heard over the speakers instructing the applicants to prepare their DS Forms for submission. I had my DS 156 with bar code and glued pictures (2 copies), DS-156K (1 copy) and DS-157 (one validated by the bank & one printed online) ready.

6:22 AM – I was the first one to be called for the submission of DS Forms. As per instruction by the guard, my sister in law went to the booth & submitted the documents. The guy asked what happened to my legs which she promptly answered. He wrote a remark on my forms that I need to be prioritized. I was assigned the number 5001 which was used during the whole process.

6:45 AM – I was called to Window 19 for the pre-screening interview and submission of documents. The interview lasted about 3 minutes. The Filipino staff was nice and friendly. He told me to write my petitioner’s name & my signature at the DS 156K form He asked for the following documents:

a. Birth certificate issued by NSO

b. CENOMAR issued by NSO

c. NBI Clearance

d. My fiance’s I-134 (notarized Affidavit of Support)

e. 2007 Income Tax Return

f. My fiance’s employment letter (I told the interviewer I don’t have my petitioner’s letter of employment because he is self-employed. Actually I was nervous in this part because I don’t have the document and I was worried they will insist asking it from me. But I guess how I answered his question was enough to convince them they don’t need the letter) :lol:

The pre-screener then asked me for proofs of relationship. I had my sis-in-law ready with the bag of documents arranged according to category & for easy retrieval. I submitted around 7 folders and an album of photos. I had more proofs with me and as I was dropping the folders into the tray the staff told me what I presented was enough. :lol: Here’s what I submitted to the pre-screener:

a. One album of photos of me and fiancé together (Note: Initially I had the photos glued in bond paper with captions but one VJ member suggested I should arrange it differently for easy retrieval. What I did was place the photos inside the free album given to me at the time I printed out our digital pictures at the mall. I printed out the captions in a sticker paper and labeled the photos one by one)

b. One folder of engagement proofs

c. One folder of emails from my fiancé to me

d. One folder of emails from me to fiancé

e. One folder of snail mails, love notes and cards exchanged between me and my fiancé

f. One folder of gift receipts from him

g. One folder of phone records between him & me

h. One folder of screen shots of files I accumulated throughout the time we are in relationship (e-mails, chat logs, etc)

The pre-screener asked me the following questions.

a. State your complete name

b. Who is your petitioner?

c. When is your birthday?

d. How did you meet your fiancé and when?

e. How many times did he visit you?

f. When was the last time you’ve seen him?

g. What do you like about him?

h. Is it your first time to travel abroad specifically in the US?

After these, he told me to sit down in one of the blue chairs & waited for my number to be flashed or my name to be called on the speakers for the finger scanning.

7:05 AM – I saw my number being flashed with the window number. I went to window 16 for the biometrics. There were instructions how it was done. It was very easy. After this step, I was told to take a seat and wait for my final interview with the consul.

8:20 AM – I was called to Room 44 for the final interview with the consul. I felt at ease at once upon entering the cubicle because the consul was nice and smiling However, as soon as I sat down the consul told me that there was an error in my finger scanning and I needed to repeat it. He asked sorry for the inconvenience and told me my name will be called again. I went out of the room and waited once more.

8:45 AM – I heard my name being called over the speakers asking me to go to Window 16 again for a repeat of my finger scanning. While in line I had a chat with a lady I met during my medical exam at St. Luke’s Clinic. She asked me questions how the pre-screening interview will be. I told her not to worry about it as long as her documents are complete and she knows the details of her relationship, she will be fine.

8:50 AM – Interview with the consul finally came. My number was flashed on window 32 for my final interview. I took a deep breath and told myself that it was finally the moment I waited for so long. I went inside the cubicle with my sister-in-law as instructed by the guy who maintained the order inside the waiting area to assist me. He had clear instructions however that I was the only one authorized to speak. My sis-in-law and I made a good joke about it. Once inside the room, I greeted the American consul with a smile. He was a very pleasant looking guy, with kind eyes and friendly manner. He was smiling during the rest of the interview. He told me to sit down and wait. He was browsing thru the photos I gave to the pre-screener. He was looking at the pictures one by one and asked me questions about it. I answered with confidence. When he looked at me I looked at him in the eyes and smiled. The following is how the interview went as I can recall best:

Consul: So what’s Nicolay’s nickname? Nick or Nicky?

Me: I call him Nik, Sir. ( I then spelled out the letters N-I-K. The consul laughed)

Consul: So is he from any other place?

Me: Yes Sir, he was from Russia but he is an American citizen now (I told him the specific address in Russia)

Consul: That’s very nice. So do you know any Russian word?

Me: Yes I do, Sir. I know how to say “I love you” in Russian. ( I uttered the words and he was grinning wide)

Consul: Any other Russian words you know?

Me: Yes, Sir. I know how to say Yes and No in Russian. This is all I know for now but I am willing to learn more when I’m with him ( I smiled at him and the consul laughed)

Consul: Did you know the year his family migrated to the US?

Me: Yes I do. It was in 1989.

Consul: So you are going to live in Sacramento?

Me: Yes Sir. That’s where Nik currently lives and he is working there so I will live in Sacramento too unless we will have plans to move to another place.

Consul: That’s very good. I know Filipinos love to eat rice (Smiled). I am sure you will be at home in California because they grow rice there (Laughed).

Me: Well that’s good news, Sir. I could not live without rice. (Laughed)

When the consul examined our photos he asked me the following questions:

Consul: I could tell you went to different places during his visit. Tell me the places you guys went.

Me: ( I enumerated the places we went to & the specific dates)

Consul: (Referring to our photos while in Taoist Temple in Cebu) I like to visit this temple. I have seen a lot of applicants showing photos of this place.

Me: Yes, you should visit this place, Sir. It’s lovely.

Consul: (Referring to our photo inside the cage with the python in Bohol) So how big is this snake?

Me: I could not tell you the exact measurement, Sir but even if I’ve been told how big it was I will surely forget it because I was very nervous when I stepped inside the cage. The information would evaporate from my head (Laughed). Well, the best I can recall it was a huge snake, big enough to swallow a pig alive.

Consul: Oh that’s not too bad (Laughed)

Other questions the consul asked:

Consul: Did you have any previous marriages?

Me: None, Sir.

Consul: How about your fiancé?

Me: None, Sir. Both of us are single.

Consul: Any kids?

Me: I don’t have kids, Sir and so is Nik.

Consul: How many kids do you plan to have?

Me: We want to have 5 kids if God will give it to us

Consul: What does your fiancé do for a living?

Me: He does maintenance of pool systems, Sir.

Consul: What do you do?

Me: I work as an applications programmer, Sir. I design programs & systems

Consul: That’s very good. So both of you work on systems but different ones(Smiled)

Me: (Laughing) You are right, Sir.

Consul: (Referring to the documents I submitted) You did all these?

Me: I do Sir.

Consul: Well, Ma’am I like it. It’d very neat and thorough. I’d like to give you a star rating for these (Smiled).

Me: Thank you very much, Sir. (I smiled & felt happy)

He told me to raise my right hand and made the oath as to the truthfulness of my answers. Afterwards, the consul checked something in the computer, signed papers, and smiled at me. I was preparing myself to ask him if I was approved. However, he told me I was approved and I’ll just have to wait for my documents to be returned at the releasing counter. I thanked him sincerely & went out of the cubicle very happy!

9:10 AM – My number was flashed with the corresponding window number. My sis-in-law went to window 37 to retrieve my documents. I was issued a pink slip & we went to Delbros booth to arrange visa delivery to my home address. I paid Php 750 for provincial delivery to my home address in Cebu.

9:20 AM – We were outside the embassy and the first thing I did was call up my fiancé & told him the good news. We were so happy & so thankful to God for guiding us & helping us in our journey together! To God be the glory forever!

CHECKLIST FOR THE US EMBASSY INTERVIEW

DS Forms

(file in transparent folder with slide)

 Appointment Letter

 DS-156 (2 copies; filled-out online & printed out with glued 2”x2” visa photos)

 DS-156K (1 copy; filled-out online & printed out)

 DS-157 (2 copies; 1 copy validated from the bank & 1 copy filled-out online & printed)

Pre-Screener

(File in envelope with tabs for easy retrieval)

 Beneficiary’s Birth Certificate

 Beneficiary’s Baptismal Certificate

 Beneficiary’s CENOMAR

 Beneficiary’s NBI Clearance

 Beneficiary’s Police Clearance

 Beneficiary’s Certificate of Employment

 Petitioner’s Affidavit of Support (I-134)

 Petitioner’s 2007 ITR – Federal Tax (Form 1040)

 Petitioner’s Self-Employed Form 1099 (2007)

 Petitioner’s W2s (2006 & 2005)

 Petitioner’s Contract with Pool Company

Proofs of On-Going Relationship and Engagement

(File in transparent folder with slide & labels according to category)

Proofs of Relationship

1) Photos together (placed in an album with captions (47 pcs))

2) Chat printouts since we met online (Note: print 1 day of chat every month up to the present)

3) Print screen of e-mail account that holds our e-mails, e-cards, & chat files

4) Print screen of folder location in my computer re chat logs in MS Word

5) Print screen of YM Message archive where chat logs are located

6) Print-out of e-mails Nik sent to me (printed out selected emails )

7) Print-out of e-mails I sent to Nik (printed out selected emails)

8) Print-out e-cards exchanged (printed out selected e-cards)

9) Print-out of emails & chat between me & Nik’s sisters

10) Nik’s e-ticket confirmation & itinerary of travel from US to the Philippines 2 times

11) Nik’s credit card statements reflecting expenses during his visits to the Philippines

12) Photo copy of plane tickets & boarding passes

o Trip to the Philippines in May

o Trip to the Philippines in August

o Nik & Mia’s trip to Bohol

o Nik & Mia’s trip to Davao

13) Photo copies of hotel bills during visit Nik’s visit to the Philippines

14) Phone bills reflecting call & text charges to the & from the Philippines

15) Western Union & other money transfer receipts

16) Bank statements from Nik specifying transfer of funds to the Philippines

17) Letter & cards Nik sent to me

18) Letter & card I sent to Nik

19) Scribbled love notes & messages that Nik sent to me at the time we were together

20) Receipts of gifts I got from Nik (e.g. lingeries, ring, laptop, bible, etc.)

21) Letter of Intent to Marry each other (Nik & I)

Proofs of Engagement

1) Chat printout when Nik asked me to marry him

2) Chat printout of discussion about wedding plans

3) Print screen of membership to wedding web site

4) Print out of purchase receipt of promise ring he bought for me

5) UPS package receipt of ring I got from Nik

6) Print out of e-cards we sent to each other during our engagement anniversary

post-43797-1205482563_thumb.jpg

post-43797-1205482596_thumb.jpg

post-43797-1205482618_thumb.jpg

post-43797-1205482637_thumb.jpg

"...when I found the one my heart loves, I held him and would not let him go..." - Song of Solomon 3:4

View my wedding photo slideshow

Visit my blog "Filipina In America"

Check out some articles I wrote

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Me too! Just got a text from delbros that delivery of my visa will start tomorrow up to the next 2 days!!! :D

We first met................Sept. 2003

Sent I129F...............July 27, 2007

Received at CSC......July 30, 2007

NOA1......................August 1, 2007

Touched..................August 3, 2007

Touched..................Dec. 17, 2007

Touched..................Dec. 18, 2007

Approved................Dec. 19, 2007

Touched .................Dec. 20, 2007

NVC case number....Jan. 19, 2008

Case forwarded to Manila

Packet 4 recieved....Feb. 14, 2008

Medical...................March 5, 2008 (Early Medical Feb. 28-29)

Interview................March 12, 2008 (APPROVED!!!)

Visa expired (unused)...........Aug. 29, 2008

Applied for renewal ..............Nov. 24, 2008

Recieved appinment letter from USEM..... Jan. 3, 2009

Medical................................Jan. 14-15, 2009

Scheduled interview..............Jan. 28, 2009 (APPROVED AGAIN!)

Visa delivered......................Jan. 31, 2009

Me too! Just got a text from delbros that delivery of my visa will start tomorrow up to the next 2 days!!! :D

Congrats! I think you'll get your visa ahead of me because I live in the province. Anyway, I'm looking forward to receiving it soon. I'm so happy we got an approval with no problems :D:dance:

"...when I found the one my heart loves, I held him and would not let him go..." - Song of Solomon 3:4

Timeline

Wow! Even myself is impressed how organized and neat were your papers. Did you submit that 1 whole black plastic envelop? And how many emails do we have to print out? Im a bit worried because me and my fiance' doesnt email much to each other. And my only proof for engagement is my ring...we didnt organize a party or anything so no picture for that. For the chatlogs... I dont want anybody to read our private talks...shameful :P ! But anyway, congratulations and you did a good job in preparing your stuffs.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wow!Congratulations.Thank you for sharing your interview experience. :thumbs:

Best of luck.God bless you and happy trip!

09/25/2005 - Date when I filed for Declaration for Nullity of Marriage (Manila RTC)

01/04/2007 - Met my Fiance on MySpace.com

05/04-12/2007 - First visit

07/16/2007 - Pre - Trial hearing

10/05/2007 - First hearing

01/11/2008 - Decision granted

02/13/2008 - Court released the finality

02/22/2008 - Sent my fiance all the docs needed to file for a K-1

03/12/2008 - Received the docs that i sent him

03/13/2008 - I129F sent to CSC

03/14/2008 - I129F delivered at CSC signed for by E.Galindo at 11:10AM

03/20/2008 - Check cashed

03/21/2008 - NOA1 received thru mail

3LITRNoT3D_3tsZokYfsalAky26jxC9h.jpg

4389.gif

4407.gif

congratulations! :thumbs: :thumbs:

God is Great .. God is good... all the time..

N_-400

12/13/2010- SEnt The packet

12/22/2010- The packet was returned due to missing page.

12/23/2010- Resend the packet with complete pages.

12/29/2010- Check cashed in

01/03/2010- Receive NOA

01/10/2011- Email from USCIS for the Required Evidence( Finger printing)

01/26/2011-Biometric Schedule

02/07/2011-USCIS online status update-

02/12/2011- Received Interview Letter Scheduled March 14

02/12/2011- Received Descheduled letter

02/17/2011- USCIS online Status update

02/22/2011-New IL arrived schedule for March 29

02/22/2011-Descheduled Letter Again ( 2nd Time)

02/23/2011- I called USCIS and I was told new schedule in the computer for March 22

02/23/2011-USCIS ONline update....

03/01/2011-Interview Letter for March 22 @ 7:15 AM

03/22/2011- Interview and Oath; US Citizen

Timeline

congratulations

118283530184.gifJessel Chris11837926282d.gif

11-20-2004 ♥ when we are falling in love

03-03-2007 ♥ he visit me in Cebu

03-05-2007 ♥ he visit my family

03-06-2007 ♥ we're officially engaged

--------------♥ so many things happened / unforgettable date

03-11-2007 ♥ temporary departure

03-14-2007 ♥ finally, he went home to Florida...very sad day...

04-06-2007 ♥ I29F sent to CSC

04-12-2007 ♥ CSC received I29f

04-13-2007 ♥ NOA1 received through mail

08-07-2007 ♥ status online RFE

08-11-2007 ♥ got RFE letter

08-13-2007 ♥ calling CSC about RFE

08-13-2007 ♥ APPROVED!!!

08-18-2007 ♥NOA2 hard copy

10-29-2007 ♥MEDICAL @ SLEC

11-07-2007 ♥INTERVIEW DAY!!!APPROVED!!!

12-14-2007 ♥Soon to be with my GG!!!

Timeline

Wow great report of you interview, I sent a email to my fiancée so she can read it. Thanks and congrats on your approval.

Met 22 Sept 06

Said I love u 24 Dec 06

went to visit 12 May 07

Started paper work Jun 07

Sent I-129 Aug 07 rcvd 22 Aug 07

NOA1 notice date 03 Oct 07

NOA2 notice date 06 Feb07

USEM rcvd 05Mar08

Interview 14 May 08

Congratulations! Very well-detailed interview experience! I'm sure a lot of people will be able to get some tips and ideas from your post! Here's hoping you'll get your visa soon. :thumbs: Give it 3 working days before texting Delbros.

--Mae

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Congratulations on the interview and what a wondwerful write up. I am happy to hear they let your sis-in-law into the Embassy to assist you.

When we went to get the Affidavit of Legal Capacity to Marry the gaurds moved me to the front of the line when Meryll told them about my legs. But they would not let anyone in to assist her during her interview.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Congratulations on the interview and what a wondwerful write up. I am happy to hear they let your sis-in-law into the Embassy to assist you.

When we went to get the Affidavit of Legal Capacity to Marry the gaurds moved me to the front of the line when Meryll told them about my legs. But they would not let anyone in to assist her during her interview.

Yes I was thankful that the embassy staff were considerate enough to let my companion go inside with me. I called up the embassy a month before my interview & asked if they have express line for PWDs and the lady I talked to confirmed it. Well I was glad I was treated nicely and what I was told was true. :hehe::jest:

Thanks to all who shared in my joy & to all fellow members of this forum whose inputs are very valuable & helpful to this journey. I'm looking forward to receiving my visa soon & flying out to the US to be with my love! God bless everyone!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.