Larry and Maria

Customs: Bringing Personal Goods in the US

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello Discussion List!

My Finacée will need to ship some personal affects into the US. This isn't furniture and the like; these are personal things such as some books and items that cannot be carried conveniently in luggage, clothes, etc.

I lived overseas several times and shipped several boxes back to myself via the local countries postal system. This case is different. I am a US Citizen; she's not. I didn't have much trouble getting my stuff back, clothes, books, etc., from US Customs.

What's the advice on shipping boxed amounts of personal goods by a K-1 into the US?

If she ships in advance of being here, does she has to ship to me, not to herself?

Do I then have to justify either paying reduced import duty or getting a waiver?

What have other K-1s done?

Thanks!

Larry

Larry and Maria

Try somewhere like excessbaggage.com they special in shipping outsize items, boxes and excess baggage.

Good Luck

Adele

> Texas have received out application and cashed the cheque!

We got our NOA1 as at 26 Oct 2005!

Sent to CSC 26 Oct 2005

NOA2 26 Jan 2006

Sent to Embassy 9 Feb 2006

Embassy sent pk3 21 feb 2006

Recd and return pk3 27 feb

Medical 8 March

recd pk4 11 April

Interview 10 May

Visa Approved 10 May

Visa Received 13 May

Fly to Memphis 21 june

Married 1 September

AOS NOA1 23 Jan 2007

Case transferred to Missourri

Case transferred back to CSC feb 01

Card in the mail March 05

Case approved March 005

Welcome to America Letters received March 08

Filed for lifting of conditions - received in Vermont Jan 20 2009

I-797C NOA received Jan 26 2009

Visit My Website

A Joy unshared is like and unlighted candle

Filed: Other Timeline

in order to not pay duties on her personal items, they will have to accompany her or she will have to ship them after she has gone to the US and activated her K1 visa. the shipping company/postal service will need a copy of her activated visa and I-94, otherwise she is not eligible for duty free imports.

Check out the Customs and Border protection website regarding shipping of personal goods for immigrant and non-immigrant visa holders.

I shipped my stuff with a moving company, and I just emailed them a scanned copy of my visa and I-94 before they could send it.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
in order to not pay duties on her personal items, they will have to accompany her or she will have to ship them after she has gone to the US and activated her K1 visa. the shipping company/postal service will need a copy of her activated visa and I-94, otherwise she is not eligible for duty free imports.

Check out the Customs and Border protection website regarding shipping of personal goods for immigrant and non-immigrant visa holders.

I shipped my stuff with a moving company, and I just emailed them a scanned copy of my visa and I-94 before they could send it.

So Joel would need to get his thing boxed and ready to ship, and then, once he enters on his K-1 and activates it, he should send the shipping company proof of this? Then the company ships his stuff?

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

yep, that's right.

I had the moving company come and get my stuff a couple of days before I left, they put it in storage until I emailed them copies of my visa and I-94. If he's shipping them with a courier shipping company (UPS, FedEx etc) he could have family hold onto them until he's got his visa and then they could send it.

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
yep, that's right.

I had the moving company come and get my stuff a couple of days before I left, they put it in storage until I emailed them copies of my visa and I-94. If he's shipping them with a courier shipping company (UPS, FedEx etc) he could have family hold onto them until he's got his visa and then they could send it.

You need to include CBP Form 3299 as well as your I-94...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

yeah, sorry, I forgot that part. I was filling out that form as the guys were loading all my stuff into their truck.

they'll probably need a copy of your visa and I-94 as well, so that it doesn't get tied up at customs and charged duty. The carrier/postal clerk should know what you'll need to include.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I wonder if they will need copy's of the visa/papers for me to send my stuff from Melb to the US....or is this just from Canada?

:star:

• Feb 13th Applied for I129F
  • May 3rd I129F Approved and sent to Department of State for processing.
  • **Waiting for Notice of I129F approval to show up in the mail!**
  • NOA2 Showed up in mail Wed 24th May 2006
  • ** Nervous as all hell - Still no Instruction packet**
  • ** 27th June Email - Saying Application Approved??? **
  • July 7th Packet 3 Arrived (First one went missing? - this one was marked 'duplicate')
  • Pack 4 arrived 31st July
  • Appointment 18th Aug

Timeline
I wonder if they will need copy's of the visa/papers for me to send my stuff from Melb to the US....or is this just from Canada?

:star:

It's from anywhere..

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

:thumbs:

Adele

> Texas have received out application and cashed the cheque!

We got our NOA1 as at 26 Oct 2005!

Sent to CSC 26 Oct 2005

NOA2 26 Jan 2006

Sent to Embassy 9 Feb 2006

Embassy sent pk3 21 feb 2006

Recd and return pk3 27 feb

Medical 8 March

recd pk4 11 April

Interview 10 May

Visa Approved 10 May

Visa Received 13 May

Fly to Memphis 21 june

Married 1 September

AOS NOA1 23 Jan 2007

Case transferred to Missourri

Case transferred back to CSC feb 01

Card in the mail March 05

Case approved March 005

Welcome to America Letters received March 08

Filed for lifting of conditions - received in Vermont Jan 20 2009

I-797C NOA received Jan 26 2009

Visit My Website

A Joy unshared is like and unlighted candle

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I ship my stuff via boat - from thailand ofcourse.. alot chaper and took only 1 month.. I ship it before i leave Thailand but by the time the stuff arrived, i'm already here. I ship things like my summer cloth, furniture and motocycle :whistle:

Edited by anya-D

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.