KGSodie

Visa Approved!

42 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

My subject is meant to be sarcastic. At the interview, the consul said "Visa approved". The Monday after the interview we called the support desk, and the next day received an answer from the consul: "Visa approved, you'll have it in 1 week". Yesterday we called for another status update, and today were told "Administrative review. If your visa is approved, it will take 1 or 2 weeks before it is printed, but quite often it can take much longer. If you don't receive your passport back in a month, call us again".

So, they've been lying to us for the past 2 weeks. Now Natasha and Vika will return to Volgodonsk and I'll return to Omaha, the future uncertain once more. I haven't decided yet whether I should change their tickets to a month or two from now, and try to be hopeful, or if I should just cancel them. There's no way to tell IF the visas will be approved now, since they have apparently changed their minds. I've spent all the money I had to bring Natasha and Vika back to the USA, so even if the visas get approved eventually, I don't know what to do.

Assuming I hear anything, ever, from the consulate, I'll let everyone know.

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Kevin, I am truly saddened by this. Hang in there ! Get your Congressman involved ! While you are now truly living a nightmare now, I truly believe everything will work out for both of you. Chris

June 2006-Became acquainted

September 8th - 15th 2007 - met in person in Vladivostok

October 15th, 2007 - Mailed I-129 to CSC

October 24th, 2007 - NOA-1

February 29th, 2008 called CSC - Was told case was assigned to an officer on February 27th

March 4, 2008 - NOA -2

May 28, 2008 - Interview - SUCCESS APPROVED !

June 6th - Planned arrival in Detroit Via Northwest Airlines

June 12th - Marriage

December 1, 2008. AOS interview. APPROVED !

January 2009 - green cards received !

May 2009 so far so good !

KGSodie, I'm sorry about your troubles.

The good news is that unlike NVC which can hold people on AP forever, the consulates usually don't delay overmuch. If they said a month, you have good chances of waiting just that long. Be hopeful. At any rate, if visa is approved at the interview, there is extremely little chance it will be denied as a result of AR.

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Yesterday we called for another status update, and today were told "Administrative review. If your visa is approved, it will take 1 or 2 weeks before it is printed, but quite often it can take much longer. If you don't receive your passport back in a month, call us again".

So, they've been lying to us for the past 2 weeks. Now Natasha and Vika will return to Volgodonsk and I'll return to Omaha, the future uncertain once more. I haven't decided yet whether I should change their tickets to a month or two from now, and try to be hopeful, or if I should just cancel them. There's no way to tell IF the visas will be approved now, since they have apparently changed their minds. I've spent all the money I had to bring Natasha and Vika back to the USA, so even if the visas get approved eventually, I don't know what to do.

What can I say, I guessed the Administrative Review not that long ago in your other thread. See:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry1652998

If I was in your shoes I'd cancel their tickets and return home ASAP to stop any more ticket change losses. This whole Administrative Review thing from what I've read about from other consulates around the world here on VJ can take many months, even years for some of the MENA folks. My guess again is that since the consulate does the finger printing the day of the interview, the prints are reviewed a few days later, and if there is a match or a close match they'll put up the Administrative Review roadblock or it could just be a random quality control check. Either way both are unpredictable in terms of time with no logical time line.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Terrible news! :angry: I'm sure you followed all to the letter. Is there any reason you can think of for this decision? I know you and Natal'ya are already racking your brains trying to ascertain this. I feel a pit in my stomach for the both or you. :(

Edited by Kazan' Tiger

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Kazan - no reason we can think of, or they will tell us. Frustrating as hell to be told for two weeks "visas approved, you'll have it soon" only to have the rug yanked out from under you.

WWW - we'll eventually get to a full review of the interview, but we were hoping to do that in Omaha. We're not much in the mood now. I will say it was a very short interview, perhaps 5 minutes, and they asked no questions about me at all. Natasha had a previous K-1 visa 2 years ago, and only stayed a few days because the guy proved to be a real jerk, and most of the questions were about this visa and why it didn't work out. The consul also asked Natasha's 11 year old daughter if she wanted to live in the USA.

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Kevin, my opinion at the moment is it has to do with the previous K-1. If they drilled her only about this past event and had nothing to ask about you and your future together, it seems it has to be. I hope you can both pass this obstacle soon. Keep holding on to each other. At minimum, you are physically together again. Take comfort in that. :)

Kazan - no reason we can think of, or they will tell us. Frustrating as hell to be told for two weeks "visas approved, you'll have it soon" only to have the rug yanked out from under you.

WWW - we'll eventually get to a full review of the interview, but we were hoping to do that in Omaha. We're not much in the mood now. I will say it was a very short interview, perhaps 5 minutes, and they asked no questions about me at all. Natasha had a previous K-1 visa 2 years ago, and only stayed a few days because the guy proved to be a real jerk, and most of the questions were about this visa and why it didn't work out. The consul also asked Natasha's 11 year old daughter if she wanted to live in the USA.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Timeline

The first thing that jumped to my mind was her previous K-1 also. But remember that the consulates are not allowed to "re-adjudicate" petitions. You *ARE* approved...the consulate cannot un-approve you. So even if there was some concern over her previous K-1, USCIS would have caught it, and it would have been an issue long before now.

As hard as parting will be, you might be in a better position to get more information and/or push it through this so-called "administrative review" from the States. Chances are it's just a bureaucrat flexing his/her muscles and you just got caught up in it. Hang in there my friend. (easy enough for me to say I know... :()

Edited by mox

As said above, keep your head up and hang in there.

And definitely, make some phone calls. Someone out there can find out something. Congressmen and Senators work for you so make them.

Good luck, and hopefully this gets resolved quickly.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
As said above, keep your head up and hang in there.

And definitely, make some phone calls. Someone out there can find out something. Congressmen and Senators work for you so make them.

Good luck, and hopefully this gets resolved quickly.

Sasha and I want to include our sorrow over this, Kevin. We agree that you will be together soon. Be strong and patient. And like it was suggested before, get your local state officials involved. Just a brief letter from them may be enough to "unstick" the approved visas. Hang in there, buddy. We're all rooting for you.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

The first thing that jumped to my mind was her previous K-1 also. But remember that the consulates are not allowed to "re-adjudicate" petitions. You *ARE* approved...the consulate cannot un-approve you. So even if there was some concern over her previous K-1, USCIS would have caught it, and it would have been an issue long before now.

As hard as parting will be, you might be in a better position to get more information and/or push it through this so-called "administrative review" from the States. Chances are it's just a bureaucrat flexing his/her muscles and you just got caught up in it. Hang in there my friend. (easy enough for me to say I know... :()

I dont think thats accurate mox. The consulate CAN deny your petition at their discretion. Just because you are approved by USCIS and NVC does not guarantee the visa. The consulate has the final say.

I agree that the AR is probably due to the previous K1, and since the relationship is legit, it is only a matter of time. It sucks for sure, but they will get the visa, it is just going to take a little longer.

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Filed: Timeline
I dont think thats accurate mox. The consulate CAN deny your petition at their discretion. Just because you are approved by USCIS and NVC does not guarantee the visa. The consulate has the final say.

I agree that the AR is probably due to the previous K1, and since the relationship is legit, it is only a matter of time. It sucks for sure, but they will get the visa, it is just going to take a little longer.

That's not what I'm saying.

The consulate absolutely can deny the visa. HOWEVER, they can't "re-adjudicate" the petition. For example, they can't deny the visa because they're not satisfied the couple met within the last 2 years. USCIS have already determined that the couple have met within the last 2 years. (note that they can deny the visa if they don't think there's a real relationship, but that's something completely different.)

The consulate has broad discretion, but they are under guidance by the Secretary of State not to re-adjudicate petitions. This is why I believe if there was a problem with Natasha's previous K-1, it would have popped up at the USCIS level, and not the consulate level. Since we're speculating, I'm really thinking it was probably due to something that came up post-interview. Maybe, as someone else suggested, fingerprints that matched too closely or an I that wasn't dotted or a T that wasn't crossed. I have a hard time believing it would be anything that USCIS would have caught in the first place.

Note: When I say the consulate "can't" deny based on something that USCIS have approved, they can certainly kick the petition back to USCIS if they feel there is overwhelming evidence to do so. When this happens, USCIS have the option of either kicking it back to the consulate, saying "no, we were right the first time," or they can send a "Notice of intent to deny" to the petitioner. But note that in both of these cases the consulate is not denying the petition. Only USCIS can deny the petition.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.