isabelle

Does anyone know any ways to protect social security number?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everybody, I have been using my social security number for my taxation purposes. But, I have been recently intimidated by my lawyer that since the crime of identity theft has been on the high I should be careful in using it. I am really concerned about this and need to know whether there are any ways by which we can protect them.

Monitor your credit report. If you will ask for a credit report at Annual Credit Report, you will be given an option if you want to put fraud alert on it for a certain fee (if I'm not mistaken). Here's their website: www.annualcreditreport.com and browse around.

Good luck!

--Mae

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yep, a few good ones, or as I posted yesterday, SSA has some good information here: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10064.html

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=113946&hl=

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I called Royal Bank Centura the other day (the Royal Bank is a Canadian Bank with a U.S. affiliated banking branch - Centura) - just wanted to enquire about setting up a U.S. account.

So the recorded message starts, I push - whatever - to get through to inquiries, then the recording asks me to enter my SSN. I'm thinking how blase' they are about asking people for a SSN - I'm just calling to see about your banking products, why on earth would I give you my SSN?

It is never asked for here in Canada (Social Insurance Number) - unless you are seeking a credit report or say a loan - or if you are starting a new job.

Filed: Timeline
I called Royal Bank Centura the other day (the Royal Bank is a Canadian Bank with a U.S. affiliated banking branch - Centura) - just wanted to enquire about setting up a U.S. account.

So the recorded message starts, I push - whatever - to get through to inquiries, then the recording asks me to enter my SSN. I'm thinking how blase' they are about asking people for a SSN - I'm just calling to see about your banking products, why on earth would I give you my SSN?

It is never asked for here in Canada (Social Insurance Number) - unless you are seeking a credit report or say a loan - or if you are starting a new job.

The word you say is absolutely striking. The situations of identity theft are really increasing and it was only a few days that my friend had been a victim of this. That is when he was advised by his well-wishers to enroll for LifeLock. He had enquired with them and the services they offer are really a plus point in making us secure about our personal details. I too assume that his decision is right to go for such a deal as he is now very cautious about his details. I myself will be taking a step in the same way and advice you to do the same.

Freeze your credit. Credit freeze laws vary from state to state.

Don't tell your SSN easily or to everyone.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idth...mers/deter.html

Edited by RICHIE07

11/03/2007 - Mailed N-400

11/05/2007 - Delivered to NSC

11/09/2007 - Checked Cashed

11/10/2007 - Return Signature Receipt Received

11/05/2007 - Priority Date

12/03/2007 - NOA1 Receipt Notice Received

12/13/2007 - NOA2 Fingerprints Received

01/02/2008 - Fingerprinting Done

02/11/2008 - NOA3 Interview Notice Received - April 10th, 2008

04/10/2008 - Interview Done - APPROVED

08/15/2008 - Oath Letter Received

09/10/2008 - US Citizen

09/24/2008 - Applied for US Passport

10/06/2008 - US Passport Received

10/09/2008 - Passport Card and Naturalization Certificate Received

Freeze your credit. Credit freeze laws vary from state to state.

Don't tell your SSN easily or to everyone.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idth...mers/deter.html

That is a great link Richie! My sisters friend just recently had her wallet stolen, along with everything in it of course. Credit cards, bank atm, cash, and she even carried her SS card with her. :wacko:

The freeze is for 7 years, its free for identity theft victims, $10 for those that just want it. I think its great given these times.

12140.gif

That guy from Lifelock says he has a guaranteed way to protect your SSN

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.