Jenn!

American Idol 2008

996 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I thought we should start a new thread for Idol this year....

So tonight is the night! Go season 7! :dance:

If ever we needed American Idol, it's now. With the ongoing writers' strike chipping away at prime time, the return of Fox's phenomenally successful competition on Jan.15 couldn't come at a better time. Here, we present a few other reasons Season 7 will be music to your ears. 1) The talent is stronger than ever.

As perpetually cranky judge Simon Cowell says, "In my opinion, this is the most talented bunch we've ever had." This season, the talent pool is so deep Sanjaya could never stay afloat. Sure, the vocally challenged, oddly coiffed teen was amusing, but he was also emblematic of what many considered to be the show's weakest season to date. "Last year just wasn't good enough," Cowell says bluntly. Even perpetually positive judge Paula Abdul was underwhelmed: "I don't remember hardly anyone [from] last year."

It's not that Season 6 didn't have a vocal powerhouse or two: Melinda Doolittle and winner Jordin Sparks could belt with the best of 'em. But they failed to capture the public's imagination like past Idols — and subsequent chart-toppers — Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson and Chris Daughtry. (Sparks' debut CD sold a disappointing 119,100 copies its first week, and Doolittle has yet to score a record deal.) "Even though we had talented kids," sums up executive producer Ken Warwick, "there was not quite the buzz or magic [of previous seasons]."

But someone seems to have sprinkled pixie dust over Season 7. Randy Jackson explains, "It's not, 'Let me do what the judges want or what I think the public wants because I wanna be like Justin Timberlake or Mariah.' These kids have a lot of individuality." Adds Cowell, "You can tell they've developed their own sound rather than just going to a ton of karaoke bars."

As far as Abdul can tell, there's just one downside to packing so much talent into one season. "Simon likes having a punching bag," she points out, "and [this year] Simon's having to say to the kids, 'You're brilliant.' So it'll be interesting to see how he does without a punching bag. Although," she says with a sly smile, "he'll still have me."

2) America has not yet exhausted its supply of tone-deaf wannabes.

By now, Idol's cringe-inducing audition period is legendary, as much a draw for viewers as the potential for catching that first glimpse of a future superstar. And Season 7, despite all its "brilliant" talent, also promises its fair share of the shockingly bad. "Every year you think you've seen it all — the funniest, the daftest, the craziest, the worst," Warwick says. "And every year, that door opens and in comes somebody who's funnier, crazier and worse." (Idol certainly had a first when a contestant in Dallas went into labor while waiting to audition.) Of the 100,000 hopefuls who tried out across the country — from Charleston, South Carolina, to this year's strongest city, San Diego — Warwick says he repeatedly found himself asking one question: "What on earth kind of life has this person lived to make them the way they are?!"

But host Ryan Seacrest insists Idol ambition is frighteningly real — and he's got the battle scars to prove it. "One girl was a female wrestler," he recalls, wincing. "She was about four times my size. I asked her to show me a move, and she literally knocked me down to the ground. I had some big bruises from that."

Still, it's the inspirational contestants with hard-luck stories that Seacrest predicts will hit Idol fans the hardest. "There are a couple guys who have hard-labor 9-to-5 jobs," he says. "One guy's a roofer, and he wants more than anything to be up on that stage. People are gonna be blown away by these contestants."

3) The judges (and the host) are as tightly wound as ever.

Witness this exchange. Abdul: "I'm the nurturing mom who breast-feeds these kids; Simon's the disapproving dad. They come off the nipple and never say, 'Thank you.' They go, 'Daddy, please pat me on the back.'" Cowell: "Paula's possibly more out of touch than she's ever been in her life."

Such chemistry, of course, makes for some of Idol's most watercooler-worthy moments. It also made for a rollickingly rambunctious time on the road. In Miami, Jackson took to the DJ booth when the judges and Seacrest went clubbing together. In Philadelphia, a luxury-car dealership lent the boys a fleet of cars, including an Aston Martin and Lamborghini. Abdul, feeling a little left out, retaliated with some wicked pranks. "I short-sheeted their beds," she reports proudly. "I hid in their closets with my camera phone. And once, I made sure Simon got a hotel room [so small] the door hit the bed."

http://www.tvguide.com/Cover-Story/america...earch/080109-01

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yep......I'll be tuned in! This morning I asked my husband "Guess what is starting on T.V again tonight?" He rolled his eyes and said "Idol American?" :lol: He has to admit he does like the funny auditions though.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

cool. what time? I love watching the beginning and people making a fool of themselves just to be on tv :jest:

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
:thumbs:

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Its funny as he!! watchin those smacktards that think they can sing :lol: remember that guy last year that looked like a "bush baby" :lol::lol::lol:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

will they repeat it on weekends?

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok, here is the 2008 schedule:

Here's what to expect for the first part of the "American Idol" season (all shows start at 8 p.m. EST on Fox):

Tuesday: Philadelphia auditions (two hours)

Wednesday: Dallas auditions (two hours)

Jan. 22-23, 29-30, Feb. 5-6: National auditions continue.

Feb. 12: Hollywood round, part one (two hours)

Feb. 13: Hollywood round, part two. Top 24 revealed.

Feb. 19: Top 12 men perform (two hours)

Feb. 20: Top 12 women perform (two hours)

Feb. 21: First live results show; two men and two women leave.

Feb. 26: Top 10 male vocalists perform

Feb. 27: Top 10 Female vocalists perform.

Feb. 28: Two men and two women eliminated

March 4: Top 8 male vocalists perform

March 5: Top 8 female vocalists perform

March 6: Top 12 finalists revealed

March 11: Finalists' first performance show (two hours)

March 12: First finalist voted off (90 minutes)

NEWSDAY

Edited by Jenn!

Aww - I am guessing that I will be frequenting this more next year - am big fan of X Factor - normally spend all night in with my mum watching it with a bottle (or two!) of wine... will be a tradition I miss :( Ah well - will have to rope Jeremy into watching it with me!! :lol:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

cant wait cant wait :D

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it too. Can't wait to see what "brilliance" the judges have found in the auditions.

I just realized it though... west coast audience have to be home and watching AI by 5pm!! Wow. guess I never really thought about the time difference.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office