Yaads

Having a baby

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ok guys I have a question…well questions. I am not quite sure how to word it so bear with me.

How do you know when it’s the right time to have a baby? What things did you/do you want to have in place before you decide to have a baby? Do you/did you want a certain amount of money saved up, assets, certain job wage? What are those things? Do those things need to be in place before you decide to have a baby or do you decide to have a baby and then trust that those things will fall into place?

I am asking for personal opinions and experience…no right or wrong…just what is right for you.

Also for those that have had children…how much do they really cost? Is it doable on a “regular” income?

Thanks for any input/insight! It is greatly appreciated.

Jamie :star:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

We're also considering the "when" question currently. We've heard from friends that there is no right right time. We want to make sure, however, that the baby isn't born into a very stressful period of our lives, and we want to have some financial stability. So, we're putting it off for another 6-9 months so that when the baby is born, I'm done with my dissertation and I ideally have a permanent job or at least a job that pays enough to maintain a family of 3 or 4 (I'm a twin gene carrier, which makes it even more difficult).

Having a job with health insurance would be a plus if you don't live in a state that offers free health care to children, but that's something we can't plan right now. Another consideration is that I'm going on 35 and feel it's high time to start having children before it is too late. Otherwise we'll probably wait another few years.

Everything else depends on how you want to raise your children and what you want out of life. I don't think you need a lot of money or assets, but a steady income. But then, I don't necessarily want my children to grow up in luxury.

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

We used to say...we'll wait till I get a job, we'll wait till we've our own house and lots of others like that, but the truth is, the "right time" doesn't exist.

Oh and from reading the books...when the contractions are coming together and you're feeling the urge to push...that's when it's time to have the baby!! ;)

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Seeing as I am currently on medication that causes birth defects, I have been warned repeatedly by my doctors to not get pregnant without consulting with them and changing my medication. So there will be some planning involved when we get to the point of deciding if/when we have children. We'd also like to be out of debt or nearly out of debt when we possibly add children to the mix. So it'll not happen for a few years.

But then again, we also have the adoption option, which adds another level of research/planning.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I will say your heart will tell you when you want to have a baby. I know being in good housing is a must but you can never say it is ever the perfect timing. Kids are alot of work (I have two) and love them with all my heart. Expensive but everyday life is expensive. I can tell you that the rewards of my kids bring in my life outweigh any negatives.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

We decided to wait at least 5-8 years after we get married to even have the discussion again.

We want to enjoy a life together for a while because it'll probably be 18 years after we have a baby until we have any peace! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

We are talking about this right now. We talked about it before he was finally able to come over. We decided to live with each other for about 6 months before we even started because we wanted some "us" time and to get to know each other before hormones went on a rampage. But, we are continuously revisiting it and it will probably constantly be up for discussion until it actually happens. Good Luck!

Met on internet 6/04. Married at court house in Aba, Nigeria 12/04. 3/05 traditional ceremony in Nigeria w/ my picture. 12/05 finally together again. 4/06 ceremony/celebration in the states together

I 130

1/10/05-sent

2/11/05-NOA1

5/30-touch

6/16-rep contact

6/27-Approved

7/?/05-ds3032/i864 bill generated

7/22/05-sent payment $70

8/1/05-IV visa bill generated

8/11/05-sent bill overnight

8/20/05- rec. 864 packet

8/25/05- nvc rec. IV bill

8/29/05-overnight 864

9/6/05-rec. ds230 (waiting on husband info)

9/28/05-sent ds230

9/29/05-ds230 rec

11/9/05 RFE for orig. birth cert.

11/9/05-sent origional

11/29/05 case complete-abandoned for k-3

129f

3/2/05 sent 3/15/04 noa 1 6/17/05 touched

6/20/05 touched 6/29/05 -heard approved on phone

7/21/05 - husband got packet/interview date at consulate

12/15/05- visa Approved!

12/20/05 picked up visa

AOS

1/9/06 mailed AOS & EAD

1/18/06 NOA 1 AOS and EAD

2/8/06 received appt. notice for bio

2/2/06 EAD touched

2/22/06 EAD touched

3/6/06 apt. date for both bio.

3/7/06 AOS/EAD touched

3/10/06 EAD on it's way

3/14/06 received EAD

3/20/06 filed for ssn

3/28/06 rec ssn

5/10/06 rec noa for AOS interview on June 26

6/22/06 found out pregnant- So happy!!!!

6/26/06 interview-Officer led us to believe we'd have card soon

7/8/06 e-mail stating welcome letter on it's way!

7/13/06 rec. Green card. Yipee!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

18 years? I wish!

If I was to do it again, I'd have started in my mid 20's...I had 3 and did not get a full night's sleep for 7 years straight.

Oh, and they cost me an arm, a leg and working on the other arm.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I never planned on having any...oops. Yet I always new that if I did, I wanted to have my schooling done, own my house and have a great job. I did all eccept the great job. Yet, all the planning in the world cannot prepare you for it.

Ummmm 7 years without good sleep? Lets not scare them too much. It really depends on the child. Some sleep through the night at just a few months old.

Best Wishes

K3

10-xx-04 I129 sent

05-xx-05 NOA1 from USCIS - Aproved - Abandoned for Cr1

CR1

11-15-04 I-130 sent

12-10-04 NOA 1 fee changed had to resend info with new fee

12-11-04 Resend case with new fee

02-14-05 NOA 2 I-130 Case aproved and sent to NVC

02-25-05 NVC received case

03-21-05 Received I-864 fee bill

03-22-05 Sent $70 I-864 payment to

04-16-05 Received IV fee bill

04-17-05 Sent $ 380 IV payment to NVC

05-02-05 Received I-864 packet from NVC

05-02-05 Sent I-864 packet to NVC

05-11-05 NVC received IV payment

05-16-05 NVC sent third packet

05-25-05 Received DS-230 and third packet instructions

06-06-05 NVCReceived DS-230 per fed ex confirmation

06-07-05 NVC Enters DS-230 information in system

waiting waiting waiting

06-20-05 Case Completed!!!!!!!yipee.

waiting for interview date.............

7-26-05 Baby born!!!! yaya

8-15-05 Interview set for 9-29-05

9-29-05 Interview suck they want more proof

10-20-05 second interview

10-24-05 yaya haleloujhya finally got it.

10-28-05 going to meet husband in New York. yayayaya

10-30-05 Home!!!!

Lifting Conditions

7-28-07 Mailed form I751 and supporting documents. $275 (Old fee!!!!!Yipee!!!)

8-17-07 Check cleared my account.

8-20-07 Touched

8-30-07 Received Biometric apointment letter.

9-11-07 Biometrics Apointment

9-22-07 Received letter of approval

9-24-07 Received GC Whoo hoo done for 10 years!!!

09-20-09 Sent N-400 for Citizenship

11-01-09 Bio

01-11-10 Passed Interview

01-16-10 Received notice for swearing in ceremony

02-03-10 Swearing in ceremony

For us, the answer is ASAP; both of us love children, and we're already in the attempting-to-conceive (the only barrier being my own clumsiness at it :lol: :lol: ) stage.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
Ok guys I have a question…well questions. I am not quite sure how to word it so bear with me.

How do you know when it’s the right time to have a baby? What things did you/do you want to have in place before you decide to have a baby? Do you/did you want a certain amount of money saved up, assets, certain job wage? What are those things? Do those things need to be in place before you decide to have a baby or do you decide to have a baby and then trust that those things will fall into place?

I am asking for personal opinions and experience…no right or wrong…just what is right for you.

Also for those that have had children…how much do they really cost? Is it doable on a “regular” income?

There is no "perfect" or "right" time to have a baby. It all depends on each couple.

For us, it was simple. I already have 2 kids. They are 11 and 6. I'm 33. I didn't want to wait much longer to have another baby, as you get older it's riskier. We did not have any money saved up. We had a house that was big enough for all of us, but again I already have kids. At the time I got pregnant I was the only one with steady income. Now that's changed and he has the kick #ss job with good insurance. I've found in life, that most things just work out. You make any amount of money work because it's what you have to deal with.

How much do kids costs really? When they are babies you have diapers, formula if you can't/won't breastfeed, daycare if you plan on working. Once they become school aged it becomes a matter of food, clothing, sports, school, etc. There is no set cost. You set your limits and you go from there. As far as on a regular income.. what's a regular income to you isn't to someone else.

It's all about personal judgements..... you have to make that choice for yourself!

March 4, 2004 NOA 1

June 29, 2004 NOA 2

August 26th -- interview date - we need to complete a I-601 waiver so it's back to waiting again

January 6, 2005 i-601 waiver approved!!!!

January 21, 2005 VISA IN HAND

February 12, 2005 WEDDING!!!!!

March 10, 2005 mailed AOS and EAD applications to Chicago

April 18, 2005 EAD and AOS receipt dates for NOA

June 30, 2005 AOS RFE evidence submitted (translated birth certificate)

August 10, 2005 ---EAD approved via infopass appointment

October 18, 2005 - AOS interview in St. Louis - received an RFE for vaccination supplement

February 9, 2006 - denial for AOS letter due to the wrong form being submitted from the doctor. PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN TO YOU!!

February 16, 2006 - USCIS accepts the motion to reopen without an additional fee - finally something goes right! We should hear from USCIS St. Louis office within 2 weeks.

April 3, 2006 - Received welcome to America letter in the mail!

April 8, 2006 - Received GC in the mail - done for 2 years!!!!

March 1, 2008 - mailed off I-751

March 3, 2008 NSC delivery confirmation

March 10, 2008 NOA 1

March 28, 2008 Biometrics appointment

Legal Permanent Resident - just waiting for time to pass for him to have eligibility for citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

There is no "perfect" or "right" time to have a baby. It all depends on each couple.

For us, it was simple. I already have 2 kids. They are 11 and 6. I'm 33. I didn't want to wait much longer to have another baby, as you get older it's riskier. We did not have any money saved up. We had a house that was big enough for all of us, but again I already have kids. At the time I got pregnant I was the only one with steady income. Now that's changed and he has the kick #ss job with good insurance. I've found in life, that most things just work out. You make any amount of money work because it's what you have to deal with.

How much do kids costs really? When they are babies you have diapers, formula if you can't/won't breastfeed, daycare if you plan on working. Once they become school aged it becomes a matter of food, clothing, sports, school, etc. There is no set cost. You set your limits and you go from there. As far as on a regular income.. what's a regular income to you isn't to someone else.

It's all about personal judgements..... you have to make that choice for yourself!

Very true :thumbs:

Thanks for all the advice/experience so far :yes:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Macedonia
Timeline

Personally, I really wanted to be out of debt. Me and my husband had decided that i wouldnt work if we had a baby, so trying to get out of debt was something that i really wanted to do, especially since we would be relying on one income. But, i got pregnant before any of that could happen, so now my goal is to plan out life on a major budget! ;)

I was so against having a baby for the longest time, me and my husband would fight about it a lot too. but now that i had my lil oops im really getting more and more excited about having a baby.

I aint cool enough for a signature.....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The only thing I'd consider would be having adequate medical insurance. Without it, you could be spending lots and lots on pre-natal care, delivery, hospital stay, and pediatrics. I would not do it without insurance. Everything else is not as important.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.