35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Anyone not planning on taking citizenship when it comes around?

Why/Why not?

K-1 Application

================

2nd October 2007 - I-129F sent to CSC

10th October 2007 - NOA1 issued

31st January 2008 - NOA2 issued

22nd May 2008 - Interview date

18th July 2008 - US here I come

22nd August 2008 - Wedding date

AOS

================

15th September 2008 - AOS Pack (I485, I131, I765) Sent

22nd September 2008 - NOA1 x 3 Received

6th October 2008 - Transferred to CSC

17th October 2008 - Biometrics

5th December 2008 - EAD & AP approved

20th February 2008 - GC approved

I-751

================

1st December 2010 - I-751 Sent (CSC)

3rd December 2010 - I-751 Received

7th December 2010 - Cheque cashed

3rd January 2011 - Biometrics

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

I definitely will apply for citizenship. We are not considering going back to the UK permanently, and if I am living here long term I want to feel like I am really part of the country and be able to vote, and possibly take a citizens-only job. We would also like to be able to spend 3+ months per year in Europe (eventually, haven't really planned how it would work yet), so it would be nice not to have to worry about trips out and maintaining the GC, just be able to totally come and go. It would also be great to be done forever with USCIS, but that's not the main reason. However, if I was from a country which did not allow dual citizenship, I would probably just keep the GC.

Removing conditions:

10/9/10 - Package sent to Vermont

10/13/10 - NOA1 date, received 10/18

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I don't want to take citizenship. Reason is very simple, India doesn't allow dual citizenship.

Right now I have 10 year GC, I am not sure whats going to happen with rules in another 10 years, but if in another 10 years time India does change its rule and allows DUAL CITIZENSHIP then I might apply for US citizenship.

Edited by trinket

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

My husband is not really happy here and here only because of me . Same as Trinket he is from India and will nto take citizenship here because of 2 reasons:

i)India doesnt allow dual citizenship

ii) If he gives away indian citizenship then when he wants to stay in india he has to buy some card and then based on his stay there he can win back his citizenship. That to him is like donating own house and then buying it back. Buying own by birth citizenship is too humiliating for him.

may be he will take citizenship if India starts dual citizenship.

Edited by christera22

AOS
Married: June 9, 2008.
Visa expired : June 12, 2008
Filed for AOS . Sent through USPS Priority Express : March 03, 2009
Package Delieverd at USCIS: March 05, 2009
March 13, 2009 : Checks Cashed
March 13, 2009 : NOA 1 received on I-485, I-130, I-765. Dated March 11th, 09
March 17, 2009 : Biometrics Letter recieved (Dated 13th March). Interview on 1st week of April
April 2, 2009 : Biometrics done. Total time taken with wait 20 mins.
April 22, 2009 : Called USCIS. They have received fingerprints and work permit is in process.
May 7, 2009 : I-765 case online. Card Production ordered.
May 11,2009 : EAD card received.
May 12,2009 : Applied for SSN.
May 18,2009 : Received SS card.
June 08,2009 : Received Letter for Interview ( scheduled on July 14 th July )
July 14th : Great Interview. All done in 20 mins.
July 18th: Online status - Card Production ordered. Thank God !! I-130 online status : Pending
July 23rd : Welcome to USA & I-130 approval letter recieved. Online status still shows pending.
July 31st : Received conditional green card
Removing Condition
3/25/11 - Received reminder from USCIS to file for ROC
5/6/11 - Sent I-751 Packet to CSC via usps
5/9/11- Package delivered to csc.
5/11/11- Check cashed electronically by CSC
5/16/11- NOA 1 received
5/27/11 - Biometrics letter received.Scheduled on 06/06/11. Case Online
6/6/11 - Biometrics done
9/6/11 - Approved.Card Production Ordered
9/12/11- Card Received

Citizenship

10/13/15 : Sent N400

10/16/15 : NOA

11/13/15 : Fingerprints

11/17/15 : In Line for Interview

01/11/16 : Interview- Passed & Given Oath letter & Date by hand

01/14/16 : Oath Ceremony done & Naturalization Certificate in hand.Proud citizen of USA

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

My husband would like to, but to keep his German citizenship, he has to ask for permission to do so from the German government. Otherwise, German citizenship is automatically lost when taking up another citizenship.

Filed: Timeline

I definitely will, and even if I lost my Italian citizenship, I wouldn't care too much. I am not planning to go back there unless something catastrophic happens here - I would not be able to find another job, and I disagree with most of what is going on there anyway. However, Italy allows dual citizenship, so the problem won't arise.

Yes, I want to be able to come and go without any restrictions since being the nomads that we are, it's likely we may live overseas again in the future.

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I'll apply, because I have USC kids and because I want to be able to vote here. But if I'd loose my other citizenships, I wouldn't. Part of me still hopes to go home (Ireland) some day.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Yes I am considering not taking citizenship.

I receive a UK government service pension which because of the Tax Convention between UK/US doesn't have to be declared on a US tax return. As it is not on the F1040 it doesn't get State income tax taken from it either.

If I take US citizenship it then has to be declared on the IRS tax return and tax paid in the UK offset against US tax. However once it is done that way it also then becomes shown for State income tax. So as well as paying State income tax I could end up having to pay some Federal tax in the US. In all it might cost me several hundred dollars a month in extra tax to take citizenship.

When the accountant has finished this years tax return we are going to run the figures again as if I was a citizen and see what the difference is.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I receive a UK government service pension which because of the Tax Convention between UK/US doesn't have to be declared on a US tax return. As it is not on the F1040 it doesn't get State income tax taken from it either.

If I take US citizenship it then has to be declared on the IRS tax return and tax paid in the UK offset against US tax. However once it is done that way it also then becomes shown for State income tax. So as well as paying State income tax I could end up having to pay some Federal tax in the US. In all it might cost me several hundred dollars a month in extra tax to take citizenship.

When the accountant has finished this years tax return we are going to run the figures again as if I was a citizen and see what the difference is.

I never knew that. I have a government civil service pension.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Yes, as in about five years, hubby and I will be moving to France. I want to be able to come freely with him to visit his family, that and be done with USCIS.

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband said maybe, though I don't think he wants to bother with the test. hahaha

My best friend who is a naturalized citizen, and studying immigration law, said that he must - but in the end it's up to him (and me). I'd like him to have it because it's easier to travel back and forth to Brazil and I want to go back to live.

We'll see.

Does anyone know, can you apply for citizenship abroad? I believe so.

Edited by bora bora

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I never knew that. I have a government civil service pension.

We were surprised when our accountant did it that way and questioned it, and sure enough he is right.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.