JustSherry

frustrating situation...can anyone help?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Here's my situation. I was teaching English in South Korea. I began dating a man from Pakistan and became pregnant. I left South Korea to have the baby back home in America. The problem is now I'm here and he went back to Pakistan. We want to get married and I understand we need to apply for either a marriage visa or fiance visa. I just don't know which one would be more likely to go through. We both are willing to meet in another country to get married if we had to and then go through the visa process. I just know it is going to be more difficult for him to come to the USA because of the country he is coming from. So, my questions are:

Can his application be expidited because he has a daughter here?

Can it help him get approved because he has a daughter here?

Which is best--marriage or fiance visa?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Unfortunately, neither a pregnancy nor a baby will expedite either kind of visa. Many people here on VJ wished that were the case, because there were several people in that same situation.

You can either apply for the K-1 (Fiance) Visa or the K-3 Visa. The K-1 requires you to get married in the U.S. within 90 days of your fiance entering the U.S. with the K-1 Visa. With the K-3 Visa, you can either marry in the U.S. or outside the U.S. and then submit your paperwork and wait for the K-3 Visa to be approved.

The "Guides" and "FAQ's" sections here on VJ will answer almost all of your questions for you. Take some time to read through them and then ask any questions that you have afterwards.

Good luck with whichever visa you should decide to pursue.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

I feel for you Sherry and I know what you are going through. I am 7 months pregnant and anxiously awaiting the arrival of my fiance - if you think Pakistan is difficult, my fiance is Iraqi. We have been going through the Visa process for over a year now but are in the final stages. There is typically not much difference between the fiance (K-1) or Spouse (K-3) as far as waiting times are concerned - but I have noticed the I-129F (the fiance petition) being approved through the service centers here int he U.S. more quickly then the I-130 (spouse petition). My petition was approved here in the U.S. and the case was sent to the U.S. embassy in Amman, Jordan in less than two months. It's waiting for the Visa interview and then the administrative processing after the interview that is the time consuming part of the process.

The fact that he has a daughter here will most likely do nothing to expedite the process. I am pregnant and due March 16th and the powers that be seem to care less whether or not my fiance makes it before his daughter is born. The fact that he has a daughter here though will help when it comes to approval of the petition. It is obvious that you two have a real relationship and are not marrying solely for immigration purposes - so be sure to provide as much proof as possible that he is the father of your daughter - I'm sure you haven't had a paternity test but do the best you can. Even pictures of the three of you together will be beneficial. Maybe go over for a visit, keep all records (plane tickets, hotel receipts, photos, etc...) then file the petition when you return.

Hope I was able to answer at least some of your quandries...keep your chin up....lots of people here have been through it or are going through what you are dealing with now - so remember you are not alone.

Good Luck!

-Mandy

*************** K1 TIMELINE ****************

November 15, 2005 - I-129F Petition mailed to Vermont Service Center

Nov. 23 NOA-1 RFeceived / December 05, 2005 - NOA-2 Received

December 14, 2005 - Case # and packet received from U.S. embassy in Amman, Jordan

January 15, 2006 - Completed packet mailed to U.S. embassy in Amman, Jordan

March 26, 2006 - Letter received stating Visa Appointment scheduled for October 12, 2006

October 12, 2006 - Visa Interview - Approved!

October - December 2006 - Administrative Processing / Security Check

December 20, 2006 - State Department finishes administrative processing

January 24, 2007 - I FINALLY find out Visa is ready because NO ONE EVER called us from the embassy in Amman

February 27, 2007 - Passport sent off to embassy in Amman to have Visa put in

April 13, 2007 - VISA IN HAND!!! After 17 months....Friday the 13th...how fitting.

April 24, 2007 - Entrance into U.S. at Chicago O'Hare...YAY!!!

***************** AOS TIMELINE ******************

May 15, 2007 - Finally Married!!!!

May 17, 2007- Received Social Security Number

May 29, 2007 - Mailed of AOS/EAD Packet

June 9, 2007 - Received NOA-1

June 28, 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

July 26, 2007 - RFE for I-485 (need to re-submit W-2s for sponsor and joint sponsor)

August 18, 2007 - Recived appointment letter for I-485.

October 25, 2007 - Green Card Interview!

***************** Lifting of Conditions ******************

October 19, 2009 - Interview for 10 yr. Green Card - Lifting of conditions

Timeline

Oh my. Thanks for the information. I appreciate such a thorough response. I can imagine how you feel. Although I understand why such care is taken when deciding who should and shouldn't come, I wish prejudices didn't go along with that. Although I wish this stress on nobody, it's nice to have someone else understand where I am coming from. How did you meet your fiance?

I have thought about going to Pakistan for a visit. However, I am a bit fearful. My sister did say she would go with me, though. Now it's just a matter of saving money for the trip. :) I suppose we could establish paternity that way.

When you began the application process, what forms did you turn in? I have the I-129 application and I understand the paperwork I need to turn in with it. But, are there other forms I need to turn in with it?

Thanks again for such a prompt response.

I hope all goes well for you!

I feel for you Sherry and I know what you are going through. I am 7 months pregnant and anxiously awaiting the arrival of my fiance - if you think Pakistan is difficult, my fiance is Iraqi. We have been going through the Visa process for over a year now but are in the final stages. There is typically not much difference between the fiance (K-1) or Spouse (K-3) as far as waiting times are concerned - but I have noticed the I-129F (the fiance petition) being approved through the service centers here int he U.S. more quickly then the I-130 (spouse petition). My petition was approved here in the U.S. and the case was sent to the U.S. embassy in Amman, Jordan in less than two months. It's waiting for the Visa interview and then the administrative processing after the interview that is the time consuming part of the process.

The fact that he has a daughter here will most likely do nothing to expedite the process. I am pregnant and due March 16th and the powers that be seem to care less whether or not my fiance makes it before his daughter is born. The fact that he has a daughter here though will help when it comes to approval of the petition. It is obvious that you two have a real relationship and are not marrying solely for immigration purposes - so be sure to provide as much proof as possible that he is the father of your daughter - I'm sure you haven't had a paternity test but do the best you can. Even pictures of the three of you together will be beneficial. Maybe go over for a visit, keep all records (plane tickets, hotel receipts, photos, etc...) then file the petition when you return.

Hope I was able to answer at least some of your quandries...keep your chin up....lots of people here have been through it or are going through what you are dealing with now - so remember you are not alone.

Good Luck!

-Mandy

Thankyou so much for the information. It was helpful. I did schedule an appointment at the immigration office near me. My appointment is in a couple of weeks. I hope I can get all of my questions answered. I will check out the Guides and FAQ's. Great advice!

Unfortunately, neither a pregnancy nor a baby will expedite either kind of visa. Many people here on VJ wished that were the case, because there were several people in that same situation.

You can either apply for the K-1 (Fiance) Visa or the K-3 Visa. The K-1 requires you to get married in the U.S. within 90 days of your fiance entering the U.S. with the K-1 Visa. With the K-3 Visa, you can either marry in the U.S. or outside the U.S. and then submit your paperwork and wait for the K-3 Visa to be approved.

The "Guides" and "FAQ's" sections here on VJ will answer almost all of your questions for you. Take some time to read through them and then ask any questions that you have afterwards.

Good luck with whichever visa you should decide to pursue.

Timeline
Oh my. Thanks for the information. I appreciate such a thorough response. I can imagine how you feel. Although I understand why such care is taken when deciding who should and shouldn't come, I wish prejudices didn't go along with that. Although I wish this stress on nobody, it's nice to have someone else understand where I am coming from. How did you meet your fiance?

I have thought about going to Pakistan for a visit. However, I am a bit fearful. My sister did say she would go with me, though. Now it's just a matter of saving money for the trip. :) I suppose we could establish paternity that way.

When you began the application process, what forms did you turn in? I have the I-129 application and I understand the paperwork I need to turn in with it. But, are there other forms I need to turn in with it?

You're welcome......It is sad that prejudice is part of the game today, but I am doing my best to be understanding. I met my fiance while I was stationed in Iraq with the military. I worked directly with Iraqi civilians and he was my personal translator. He has been working with the U.S. military/government as a translator ever since the war started. He's done everything from go out with the Marines on raids to translating for government officials in meetings. Since he has done so much to help the U.S. cause in Iraq I of course feel he should have at least a LITTLE bit of preferential treatment when it comes to getting his Visa but the U.S. government obviously doesn't see it that way....LOL. We are waiting as long as everyone else.

I've never been to Pakistan but I flew to Jordan on my own to see my fiance last summer. The entire Middle East isn't the backward barbaric place that the U.S. media has it made out to be, but if your sister is willing to go with you it would definately ease some of the tension.

As far as forms are concerned, I just downloaded the I-129F packet from USCIS.gov and filled out all of the forms. You can actually get the fillable PDF forms so you can type in the info - I did this because it just looks more professional. Just get all the form numbers and do an internet search such as "fillable PDF I-129F" etc... Also be sure to include as much proof of a relationship as possible. I sent plance ticket stubs, hotel receipts, printouts of emails and IMs sent between my fiance and me, phone records and photos. Just give them so darn much proof they CAN'T say no! I put everything in a three ring binder with page covers. It actually looked like a nice scrapbook and I was almost sad to have to mail it off and never see it again. Be sure to keep copies of EVERYTHING you put into the packet in case it gets lost in the mail or the service center loses it - God knows they don't all have the brightest of individuals working for them. Having worked for the government, I know that one of the first questions asked of government civilian employee candidates at the job interview is "Are you incompetent?" and the answer they're looking for is "yes".

Good Luck

- Mandy

December 14, 2005 - Case # and packet received from U.S. embassy in Amman, Jordan

March 26, 2006 - Letter received stating Visa Appointment scheduled for October 12, 2006

January 24, 2007 - I FINALLY find out Visa is ready because NO ONE EVER called us from the embassy in Amman

April 13, 2007 - VISA IN HAND!!! After 17 months....Friday the 13th...how fitting.

July 26, 2007 - RFE for I-485 (need to re-submit W-2s for sponsor and joint sponsor)

Filed: Timeline

I believe that Pakistan has a tough embassy and making it through the channels very hard, one lady has just gotten off of AR after about 2 years of waiting. I think that the marriage visa would be better in your case. I am assuming you are with a muslim man, but if not do what every you think will work. Marriage visa or better put the Cr/Ir-1 can not be canceled however the K-1 and K-3 have expiration dates. If you are not concerned about your case getting returned then go right ahead or having long delays then go right ahead. However having a child together and if religion is questioned, i would think that a marriage is looked at differently. Is he in South Korea or pakistain. I am in the military and my case was returned to the US by the consulate office. So to be honest they do not care about anything. Your best bet would be to research the Asia board but this is just my two cents.

إركا

[

Timeline

Hi. Thanks for the information. I wouldn't know where to begin to study the Asia board. Do you have any ideas? Also, he is not Muslim. He is a Christian, but yes, he is Pakistani. What is AR? What is the Cr/IR-1?

I have been debating on whether it's better to go for a visit to establish parternity and also to see him, but wait on the marriage...or if it's better to go for a visit, establish paternity and then marry him in Pakistan. Sigh. I have no idea.

I believe that Pakistan has a tough embassy and making it through the channels very hard, one lady has just gotten off of AR after about 2 years of waiting. I think that the marriage visa would be better in your case. I am assuming you are with a muslim man, but if not do what every you think will work. Marriage visa or better put the Cr/Ir-1 can not be canceled however the K-1 and K-3 have expiration dates. If you are not concerned about your case getting returned then go right ahead or having long delays then go right ahead. However having a child together and if religion is questioned, i would think that a marriage is looked at differently. Is he in South Korea or pakistain. I am in the military and my case was returned to the US by the consulate office. So to be honest they do not care about anything. Your best bet would be to research the Asia board but this is just my two cents.

Timeline

Well, hopefully the fact that he worked for the US government will at least help him to get approved without them thinking he's just a terrorist. My fear is they will think Robin (my fiance) is a terrorist and not allow him in. My goodness, he's as far from a terrorist as you could possibly be.

And what's this incompetency thing?! That's an odd question. Why do they want you to say you are incompetent? Maybe they think you will be brainwashed more easily--ha.

It would seem it would be more difficult for someone from Iraq to enter the country than someone from Pakistan. With that said, I got a response saying the Pakistani embassy is difficult and that I should go the marriage route. What are the disadvantages of going the marriage route rather than the fiance route?

It's also comforting to hear from an American that it's not as bad as we make it out to be over there. Robin tries telling me that I'd be safe, too. I suppose I should trust his judgement because it's not like he wants something to happen to me. How do I go about getting a tourist visa to Pakistan?

I really do appreciate all your help. I'd love to hear your results for your fiance. Keep me updated!

You're welcome......It is sad that prejudice is part of the game today, but I am doing my best to be understanding. I met my fiance while I was stationed in Iraq with the military. I worked directly with Iraqi civilians and he was my personal translator. He has been working with the U.S. military/government as a translator ever since the war started. He's done everything from go out with the Marines on raids to translating for government officials in meetings. Since he has done so much to help the U.S. cause in Iraq I of course feel he should have at least a LITTLE bit of preferential treatment when it comes to getting his Visa but the U.S. government obviously doesn't see it that way....LOL. We are waiting as long as everyone else.

I've never been to Pakistan but I flew to Jordan on my own to see my fiance last summer. The entire Middle East isn't the backward barbaric place that the U.S. media has it made out to be, but if your sister is willing to go with you it would definately ease some of the tension.

As far as forms are concerned, I just downloaded the I-129F packet from USCIS.gov and filled out all of the forms. You can actually get the fillable PDF forms so you can type in the info - I did this because it just looks more professional. Just get all the form numbers and do an internet search such as "fillable PDF I-129F" etc... Also be sure to include as much proof of a relationship as possible. I sent plance ticket stubs, hotel receipts, printouts of emails and IMs sent between my fiance and me, phone records and photos. Just give them so darn much proof they CAN'T say no! I put everything in a three ring binder with page covers. It actually looked like a nice scrapbook and I was almost sad to have to mail it off and never see it again. Be sure to keep copies of EVERYTHING you put into the packet in case it gets lost in the mail or the service center loses it - God knows they don't all have the brightest of individuals working for them. Having worked for the government, I know that one of the first questions asked of government civilian employee candidates at the job interview is "Are you incompetent?" and the answer they're looking for is "yes".

Good Luck

- Mandy

Timeline
Well, hopefully the fact that he worked for the US government will at least help him to get approved without them thinking he's just a terrorist. My fear is they will think Robin (my fiance) is a terrorist and not allow him in. My goodness, he's as far from a terrorist as you could possibly be.

And what's this incompetency thing?! That's an odd question. Why do they want you to say you are incompetent? Maybe they think you will be brainwashed more easily--ha.

It would seem it would be more difficult for someone from Iraq to enter the country than someone from Pakistan. With that said, I got a response saying the Pakistani embassy is difficult and that I should go the marriage route. What are the disadvantages of going the marriage route rather than the fiance route?

It's also comforting to hear from an American that it's not as bad as we make it out to be over there. Robin tries telling me that I'd be safe, too. I suppose I should trust his judgement because it's not like he wants something to happen to me. How do I go about getting a tourist visa to Pakistan?

I really do appreciate all your help. I'd love to hear your results for your fiance. Keep me updated!

Try not to worry about them thinking he's a terrorist.....Mid-Eastern males are approved for Visas all the time.....the number one reason for denial is lack of proof of a significant and lasting relationship. I've heard bad things about the Pakistan embassy as well :( I read about a girl who's fiance's visa was in administrative processing for 10 months.

I'm not sure, but you probably do not need to aquire a tourist visa before you go. Most places allow Americans to enter with their American passport or, like Jordan, you simply purchase a visa at the airport when you arrive for about $20. Check the U.S. embassy website in Pakistan, it will probably tell you what you need to enter Pakistan.

Timeline

Thankyou, thankyou thankyou....

I will check that out. Do you know anything about the disadvantages of obtaining a marriage rather than a fiance?

Thanks again!

Sherry

Try not to worry about them thinking he's a terrorist.....Mid-Eastern males are approved for Visas all the time.....the number one reason for denial is lack of proof of a significant and lasting relationship. I've heard bad things about the Pakistan embassy as well :( I read about a girl who's fiance's visa was in administrative processing for 10 months.

I'm not sure, but you probably do not need to aquire a tourist visa before you go. Most places allow Americans to enter with their American passport or, like Jordan, you simply purchase a visa at the airport when you arrive for about $20. Check the U.S. embassy website in Pakistan, it will probably tell you what you need to enter Pakistan.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Good Luck!

-Mandy

I think the fiance visa is faster. We were told that if we did the regular visa, it could take up to 18 months. That's exactly how long it took for me to get a permanent resident card renewal back in 1997. Until 97, I still had my old card which had my pic from when I was 7 LOL.

Incase you are confused LOL, I WAS a permanent resident from 1983-2002. My mistake was that I did NOT know that if you leave the country for more than a year, you can't come back. I didn't know anything about a re-entry permit. Sooo, I now have to do everything all over again.

Anyhow, I just think the K1 is much faster. My friend got hers in 4 months.

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*Came to visit me in Germany for New Years 2006

*Filed for K1 Visa on 4/4/06

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*I-129F NOA2 Approved - 9/14/06

*Came to see me Thanksgiving week in Nov. 2006

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*K1 Visa received - 2/11/07

*Date of US Entry (POE Chicago)- 3/5/07

*Wedding/Marriage - 3/17/07

AOS (My case was expedited due to husband going to Iraq):

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*Found out in the beginning of June that husband is going to Iraq

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

*Interview date - 7/11/07

*I-485 Aprroval date- 7/11/07

*Green Card Received- 7/19/07

Removal of Conditions:

*Filed petition to remove conditions on 6/9/09

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Biometrics Appt. in Birmingham - 8/6/09

*Lifting of Conditions Approval Date - 10/22/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Had our daughter on 4/4/08 and have another baby due 11/19/09!!!

Hello Justsherry,

Seems like you have been getting some very good advice here!!!!!! I have been talking to someone that I met threw Visa Journey who is from Pakistan. I now consider him a very good friend. He filled for the K1 Visa and has been on AR or AP since interview May 2006. It is a very fruatrating thing to deal with. I wish you well which ever way you decide to file!!!!!!!!

forchika

****Removal of Conditions ****

7/13/09 Sent I-751 application VSC

7/16/09 Package arrived at VSC at 2:08pm signed by D. Renaud

7/24/09 Rcvd I-797C, NOA from VSC

7/29/09 Rcvd Biometric letter...biometrics appt 8/18/09

11/24/09 Rcvd ROC approval ltr...dated 11/18/09

12/04/09 Rcvd 10 yr Green Card in mail

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

JUST STAY PRAYERFUL...MY HONEY JUST CALLED ME PACKET 3 CAME TODAY!!!!!!! IS GOD BLESSING US OR WHAT!!!!!!!!!! NOW ANOTHER HURDLE TO GET COMPLETE TO THE NEXT STEPS...

OUR JOURNEY!!!

JUNE-2006 Introduced thru a family member via phone

AUG- 2006 Went to the UK to visit for 4 days, ENDED UP STAYING FOR 8 DAYS!!!

**TALK ON THE PHONE EVERYDAY...FEELINGS ARE STRONG

OCT- 2006 Went to UK for visit/4 days

**PROPOSED

11-27-06 I-129F mailed to Vermont

11-29-06 Receipt of NOA1 (received in mail on Dec 4)

12-08-06 Touched

MID-JAN-2007 Will be going soon to UK for visit/1 week

JAN-10-2007 EMAIL OF APPROVAL FOR NOA2 (Received email 8 times in a row!!!!!)

01-11-07 "TOUCHED"

JAN-23-07 BACK FROM UK-- ENJOYED THE 6 DAYS THERE...

JAN-18-07 RECEIVED LETTER FROM NVC (National Visa Center)

1 WEEK PETITION WILL BE FORWARDED TO THE APPROPRIATE VISA ISSUING POST (LONDON) WHERE INTERVIEW WILL TAKE PLACE....

JAN 24-07 JUST FOUND OUT OVER THE PHONE THAT NVC SENT PETITION TO LONDON ON 1/12/07 & US EMBASSY IN LONDON HAS HAD THE FILE SINCE JAN 17TH 2007

JAN-26-07 HONEY JUST CALLED ME...GOT PACKET 3.... WOW!!!!!!!

Timeline

That's awesome! I hope it continues to go well for you!

Thanks for your responses.

Sherry

JUST STAY PRAYERFUL...MY HONEY JUST CALLED ME PACKET 3 CAME TODAY!!!!!!! IS GOD BLESSING US OR WHAT!!!!!!!!!! NOW ANOTHER HURDLE TO GET COMPLETE TO THE NEXT STEPS...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.